2012 AWD TL or TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 AWD TL or TSX

I'm in the middle of a car-buying decision, and I am torn between getting 2012 editions of a AWD TL or a TSX. The difference in price is about 7K. I have test-driven both, but frankly have not been able to exercise the AWD in the TL. Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
I4 or V6 TSX? (Assuming V6)

Where do you live? Do you experience harsh weather conditions where the SH-AWD would really be beneficial?

Is cargo and passenger space important?

Fuel efficiency important?

Any budget constraints?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
well here is my opionion..

the I4 TSX is worth the price.. the v6 is not

if your comparing V6 TSX Tech and V6 Tech TL.. then the TL would be a way better choice considering they are almost identical in price..

why buy a civic when you can get an accord for the same price?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1

Where do you live? Do you experience harsh weather conditions where the SH-AWD would really be beneficial?

Any budget constraints?
^^^ These are good questions. You need to know if you need the room or not because the new TSX is about the same size as the 3rd gen TL. And again it depends on where you live. What I have also heard is that the I4 TSX is more nimble than the V6.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1

Any budget constraints?
SF Bay Area. No harsh winter here. An occassional trip to Tahoe with snow maybe. Kids in the back, so TSX size is probably ok. Fuel efficiency is not that important Saving money is always good, but I expect to keep the car for 7 years or so, so if I *really* enjoy it, I don't mind paying 1K more a year. At this point, I just don't know if the AWD is going to be that much more fun to pay the difference.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Speaking from experience, I own both. A 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance and a 2010 TSX I4. I really like both cars. Ride quality is different. TL has sport suspension so ride is a bit harsher than TSX. Size is not as much of an issue. I hated the wife's 2005 TSX. Too small for my 6'4" frame. The 2010 is a major difference and I can travel long distance in the TSX quite handily. The SH-AWD does add a certain measure of safety and security in inclement weather. But the beauty also lies on perfectly dry roads. Really twisty, curvy dry roads. The SH-AWD is an absolute blast to drive on those type roads. Sometimes the smile doesn't leave my face for days. I'm just saying, I really favor the TL. My 2 cents.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by globetrotter33m
SF Bay Area. No harsh winter here. An occassional trip to Tahoe with snow maybe. Kids in the back, so TSX size is probably ok. Fuel efficiency is not that important Saving money is always good, but I expect to keep the car for 7 years or so, so if I *really* enjoy it, I don't mind paying 1K more a year. At this point, I just don't know if the AWD is going to be that much more fun to pay the difference.
Also, just comparing 4 cylinders tsx with the AWD, not the v6 tsx. So really different cars
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Grew up in Central Valley and went to SF many times in my youth, and was just there while visiting my parents for a day trip. If you're in the city a lot, I'd recommend a TSX because a 4G TL is a wide car and those streets...are not.

I wouldn't be afraid to drive my new TL, but let's just say I didn't argue much when my parents wanted to take their car instead.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM

get the i4 tsx if your trying to compare to the awd TL.. if price is a factor for you.. but if it isnt.. then AWD TL

cuz we all know there is a major price difference inbetween the two
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by randath
Speaking from experience, I own both. A 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance and a 2010 TSX I4. I really like both cars. Ride quality is different. TL has sport suspension so ride is a bit harsher than TSX. Size is not as much of an issue. I hated the wife's 2005 TSX. Too small for my 6'4" frame. The 2010 is a major difference and I can travel long distance in the TSX quite handily. The SH-AWD does add a certain measure of safety and security in inclement weather. But the beauty also lies on perfectly dry roads. Really twisty, curvy dry roads. The SH-AWD is an absolute blast to drive on those type roads. Sometimes the smile doesn't leave my face for days. I'm just saying, I really favor the TL. My 2 cents.
so i test-drove both today. i hadn't driven the tl before and i can safely say i've eliminated the tsx. it is a great car, however, the tl's acceleration and comfort were just that much better. i had a smile on my face after i was done.

however, i am being offered a really great deal on the is350 now...and while that is more expensive than the tl, it looks like over 5 years, i come out ahead with the is350 since it depreciates slower? it is a smaller car than the tl, but frankly i don't *need* the size of the tl...

http://autos.yahoo.com/acura/tl/2012...at-tco-summary

http://autos.yahoo.com/lexus/is/2012/250-awd/cost.html
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Well it all depends wut type tsx your looking into. If your looking into a V6 TSX it might make more sense to go and look at the TL. Also i prefer the Tl cause of the size and power it has. At end of day wutever one you decide your getting an amazing and great looking car!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so i test-drove both today. i hadn't driven the tl before and i can safely say i've eliminated the tsx. it is a great car, however, the tl's acceleration and comfort were just that much better. i had a smile on my face after i was done.

however, i am being offered a really great deal on the is350 now...and while that is more expensive than the tl, it looks like over 5 years, i come out ahead with the is350 since it depreciates slower? it is a smaller car than the tl, but frankly i don't *need* the size of the tl...

http://autos.yahoo.com/acura/tl/2012...at-tco-summary

http://autos.yahoo.com/lexus/is/2012/250-awd/cost.html
I used to own 06 IS 350, so i could elaborate about the IS. The design of the IS is quite dated, expect new redesign next year. The TL design is more current, therefore it should last longer before the major redesign.

Driving dynamic wise, my IS is RWD while my TL is FWD, so no comparisons about it. The IS is faster, handles "little" better and the ride is choppy, however the TL is more comfortable yet still have decent handling for its size.

I say you test drive both cars to know which one would you like. Both cars are excellent and you can't go wrong with either ones. If i could choose again, i'll get the TL because it have bigger size and more comfortable in the freeways. The "beak" is also my favorite part of the car
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced

I always had a hard time comparing an Acura TL to a Lexus IS or a BMW 3 Series. Price-wise the Lexus and BMW are more $. But size-wise we are talking smaller cars compared to a TL. I always thought the TL should be compared to the ES350 and 5 Series BMW, not the smaller siblings. Or is it just me?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I always had a hard time comparing an Acura TL to a Lexus IS or a BMW 3 Series. Price-wise the Lexus and BMW are more $. But size-wise we are talking smaller cars compared to a TL. I always thought the TL should be compared to the ES350 and 5 Series BMW, not the smaller siblings. Or is it just me?
When I bought my TL it seemed like the closest fair comparison was to the Infiniti G37. So I drove both and, well, bought the TL.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
10th Gear

AWD is mandatory up north, TSX is automatically eliminated. I personally like the TL for just about every other reason as well. Not a big fan of the Infinity, but the BMW and Audi are nice, but are a bit small. The IS doesn't come in Manual (I think) so thats right out. TL is the only logical choice! haha
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From a size perspective you are right, but from a price and luxury perspective, the TL is not really a competitor to the Lexus or the BMW 5 series (especially the current F10 model). I moved from a 2009 TL-Tech SH-AWD to a 2012 BMW 535i and the two cars are not comparable at all from any perspective, except size. The TL is a great car, but very different from the 5 series. Given the 20k+ price difference between the TL and 5 series, the comparison to the 3 series is probably more relevant. Plus the level of luxury of the TL is closer to a 3 series, and not even close to the current version of the 5 series. The SH-AWD is probably more nimble than the 5 series, but it has no where near the low end torque, and is not quite as quick, unless you get the 6mt in the TL.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM

come on guys.. you cant compare a acura to a bmw.. after all.. acura is still a honda.. like kc1953 said.. the tl is comparable to a loaded 3 series.. nothing else.. you cannot compare it to a 5 series as the price is about 20k.. let alone the RL barely competes with the 5 series