2012 Acura TL Rendered Speculation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 Acura TL Rendered Speculation

http://acuraconnected.com/2010/08/11...d-speculation/

Based on then spy photos. What do you think?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if that is for real, you wont beable to retrofit that new piece on the previous cars....
Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
DOn;t liek the double creased front bumper. I suspect that will not be what it looks like. The spy shots look more like a tradiditonal bumper, witha single creages hight up and the lower creas will be gone. Shoudl take some of the pointiness out of the front. Said thing was I was fine with the front bumper, other than they needed to tone down large grill.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Grill is a fail
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bottom of grill doesn't line up in the spy shots like they do in your render, and spy shot also show grill is wider. so it might look more aggressive.

Last edited by miketala; 08-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Photoshop TSX wagon grille. The redesign TL will not look like this. Time to close this thread up.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

can someone post the spy photos...
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ search friend.

If thats what its gonna look like, then I am very happy that I bought mine while it looks the way it does..... although i dont think the 2012 is gonna look like that. Cause its gonna have a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo grill..... it makes more sense.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vinnier6
can someone post the spy photos...
I found this: http://tophondanews.blogspot.com/201...st-photos.html
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Advanced

The grille in general (used in all Acura models now) is a fail. But, I think a much bigger faux pas, is the crease hump over the front wheel. The TSX has one, but it's not connected to the line running from the front to the rear, and looks brilliant. The TL is just a Gremlin. No matter what you do to that grille, it won't make it any more than 5% better looking. Yuck.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by GINTER
The grille in general (used in all Acura models now) is a fail. But, I think a much bigger faux pas, is the crease hump over the front wheel. The TSX has one, but it's not connected to the line running from the front to the rear, and looks brilliant. The TL is just a Gremlin. No matter what you do to that grille, it won't make it any more than 5% better looking. Yuck.
Be nice, you just hurt my cars feelings. Now I gotta go back in the garage and convince her shes not ugly..... Nice work pal lol/ 2 months of therapy down the drain.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
hate or love it I think the oem grill is more distinctive
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GINTER
I actually really like the crease above the front wheel. Its stylish and gives an aggressive flair to the TL's unique design. I htink it flows well with the rest of the car
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
hate or love it I think the oem grill is more distinctive
Yup, I like the current grill, maybe just smaller though. The TL's pointy front and grill sort of reminds of a jet.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I hope that's not what the 2012 will look like. The front is too plain and boring.

The current version looks a lot better, in my opinion (notwithstanding the haters' views). But these are, after all, nothing more than subjective opinions.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
got brohoes?

Reminds me of a Toyota Camry, should go back to the 3g design Bro.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I know there is huge debate on the grille and such, but does anyone else think the 4G colors are too muted and lack the depth and color that the 3G offered? 2 reasons I got out of my 4G, first was the grille seocn was I hated the color selections, I had PM, but that was not a real silver. I miss Moroccan Red Pearl, the Alabaster Silver the Kinetic Blue Pearl and even the Carbon Bronze. Acura 4G TL needs better colors as well!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by SOCAL BRO!!!
Reminds me of a Toyota Camry, should go back to the 3g design Bro.
This is exactly what I said it would look like if it looked like what the spy photos suggested to me. I don't like the current grill, but making the front that bland will really look crappy. I think many of us are just going to have to wait for the re-design or something. But... again, I'll hold out and see.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I wonder if Acura did any market research to see how long it took people to warm up to the "distinctive" Audi grill. I still don't care much for the big black mouth with chrome lipstick - still reminds me of the Captain Kangaroo dancing bear or the fembot mouth from the 1970s Bionic Woman TV show.

The current TL grill is tiny compard to the 2011 Audi A8. Maybe the fact Audi uses black as its dominant grill color allows them to pull it off better. If the TL grill was simply a shade darker they may have been successful. I think things would have looked better if they had made the grill match the 18" wheel color - a bit more subdued tungsten colored finish. Don't make it smaller, just cut down on the "blingy-ness". It disappoints me they did just the opposite with the "midnight chrome" sport grill. Make it a darker matte finish instead, please.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I know there is huge debate on the grille and such, but does anyone else think the 4G colors are too muted and lack the depth and color that the 3G offered? 2 reasons I got out of my 4G, first was the grille seocn was I hated the color selections, I had PM, but that was not a real silver. I miss Moroccan Red Pearl, the Alabaster Silver the Kinetic Blue Pearl and even the Carbon Bronze. Acura 4G TL needs better colors as well!
I agree with this. I recently got a very detailed online survey from Acura asking my likes/dislikes (and also asking about new features I'd like to see on the car). The one thing that really stood out for me was the limited color selections, especially on the 6MT. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if you offer only limited colors with limited interiors and then say "the 6MT customer base is limited."

That said, I love my CBP TL (at least when it's clean).
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
If you think Acura has limited colors, check out the G37. Vibrant "arrest me" Red, white, black, and shades of gray with black or very light "stone" interior.

I like burgundies and deep greens and blues; but I settled for the MBM/umber combo with my 6MT which is still quite different than anything over on the Infiniti lot.

BMW offers some interesting colors, but they apparently subsidize the extra production costs with a ~$900 upcharge for anything metallic.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
^ search friend.

If thats what its gonna look like, then I am very happy that I bought mine while it looks the way it does..... although i dont think the 2012 is gonna look like that. Cause its gonna have a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo grill..... it makes more sense.
i dont want to search...

i like how there is always someone quick to respond with do a search, or rtfm....why even bother having the board then??
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by vinnier6
i dont want to search...

i like how there is always someone quick to respond with do a search, or rtfm....why even bother having the board then??
And I dont wanna pay taxes, but gues what... I have to. Better to have a couple threads with the info you need (which we already have) than having 40 threads to sift through to find the info you need. This is why the search feature was made. But Im sure you already knew that....... right?

Look what the nifty search feature did for me....
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=2012+tl

Youre welcome

Last edited by MurkyRiversTL; 08-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
I wonder if Acura did any market research to see how long it took people to warm up to the "distinctive" Audi grill. I still don't care much for the big black mouth with chrome lipstick - still reminds me of the Captain Kangaroo dancing bear or the fembot mouth from the 1970s Bionic Woman TV show.

The current TL grill is tiny compard to the 2011 Audi A8. Maybe the fact Audi uses black as its dominant grill color allows them to pull it off better. If the TL grill was simply a shade darker they may have been successful. I think things would have looked better if they had made the grill match the 18" wheel color - a bit more subdued tungsten colored finish. Don't make it smaller, just cut down on the "blingy-ness". It disappoints me they did just the opposite with the "midnight chrome" sport grill. Make it a darker matte finish instead, please.

Rarely does anyone mention the Audi "mouth." I was living in the DC area when they came out and I heard a few what are they doings...but it's almost like they got a pass for being a German car company. My summation is there are many folks who want to see the Japanese car companies fail. Especially Honda/Acura.

I guess the thing that use to rub me raw a bit were the folks who rag on a car they don't have and base much of their views on those of Motor Trend or co-workers and such. The other group that also rubbed me that way was the so-called Acura folks who bought the vehicle with so many concerns about the styling, performance, and features. I've gone 3 years before to wait out for a vehicle that satisfies my wants and desire, because I won't spend my hard earned money only to have buyers remorse.

Summation, no one knows but the suits at Acura what's coming down the pipeline and we as consumers just need to make the best possible selection based on our desires and respect the choices of others and be adult, respectful, and sarcasm free when speaking about others choices.
This was not aimed at anyone so no one should take offense.1.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Rarely does anyone mention the Audi "mouth." I was living in the DC area when they came out and I heard a few what are they doings...but it's almost like they got a pass for being a German car company. My summation is there are many folks who want to see the Japanese car companies fail. Especially Honda/Acura.

I guess the thing that use to rub me raw a bit were the folks who rag on a car they don't have and base much of their views on those of Motor Trend or co-workers and such. The other group that also rubbed me that way was the so-called Acura folks who bought the vehicle with so many concerns about the styling, performance, and features. I've gone 3 years before to wait out for a vehicle that satisfies my wants and desire, because I won't spend my hard earned money only to have buyers remorse.

Summation, no one knows but the suits at Acura what's coming down the pipeline and we as consumers just need to make the best possible selection based on our desires and respect the choices of others and be adult, respectful, and sarcasm free when speaking about others choices.
Im offended! haha

but serouisly i like my TL's grill a lot more than i thought now after seeing that. If they change the grill that much than i believe they take away what seperate's this car from so many on the road.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu

I do think that the Germans get a pass with their design. The previous version of the 5-series (Bangle) is one of the ugliest cars in its class but one of the best selling. Go figure.

The problem with the 4G is that the 3G is just better looking. Acura still is not well established as a luxury car maker to justify "controversial" styling.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
Im offended! haha

but serouisly i like my TL's grill a lot more than i thought now after seeing that. If they change the grill that much than i believe they take away what seperate's this car from so many on the road.
LOL, I like the grille too. Another TL is the parking lot where I working making the total count 4. People I know are seeing them all over telling how they can spot a TL from other because of the unique styling of the grille, quarter panels, and rear end...even the lights at night. The one anti-grille guy I know told me he gets it and likes it now...I just happened to be parked next to an A4...he didn't like the "mouth." Go figure.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by JAB00
I do think that the Germans get a pass with their design. The previous version of the 5-series (Bangle) is one of the ugliest cars in its class but one of the best selling. Go figure.

The problem with the 4G is that the 3G is just better looking. Acura still is not well established as a luxury car maker to justify "controversial" styling.
Better, worst is subjective. I didn't start liking the 3G until year 3...looked to bland to me, reminded me of the 1991 T-Bird super coupes, I was a bit disappointed with the initial body change.

Yeah, it's just 25 years of Acura's being in production...so they don't have the history of BMW or MB yet.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JAB00

The 3G was is good looking, but it is a bit dated. there is no way I can pick a 3G over a 4G now though.

The 4G is actually quite similar minus the grill.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=Toby123;12253661]The 3G was is good looking, but it is a bit dated. there is no way I can pick a 3G over a 4G now though.

[QUOTE]

While it is a tad dated I do think the 3G holds up well, still love seeing 3G Type-S on the road, still think it is a very good looking car. Hell I think the 2G holds up well for its age. I do think if Acura had stuck with similar grill to the 3G and toned down the tail a tad the 4G would be far more successful.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the fact that the 4G isn't selling well. I love not seeing my car as much as i see the 3G.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I respectfully disagree

Originally Posted by KeithL
Hi Keith,

I respectfully disagree with you - I happen to have the opinion that the TL has some great colors - I love my Mayan Bronze (which is so very unusual and sharp!), and the other colors such as PMM, Grigio, CBP etc. are really great too. Just my personal opinion! :-)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
I love the fact that the 4G isn't selling well. I love not seeing my car as much as i see the 3G.
i agree completely. I actually get annoyed when I see another 4g... then I realize its a FWD and i get happy again.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Toby123
The 3G was is good looking, but it is a bit dated. there is no way I can pick a 3G over a 4G now though.

As far as the grille goes, they widened it...and perhaps stretched it a bit vertically. As said elsewhere in this blog, the grille and rear end maybe the most subjective points.
I see the evolution of the TL being more positive than negative. It amazes me how many wanted the design to remain static.

I truly believe if car magazines publicized they loved the look the sales would be different. So many people are easily influenced by others opinions...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Instructor

I really like the looks of the 2012 grille! Can't wait to see the MMC in person
Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

i agree completely. I actually get annoyed when I see another 4g... then I realize its a FWD and i get happy again.
I've had that same experience! I like the exclusivity of it.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM
9th Gear

I have been starting to wonder if I was the only person who fully likes the 4G...!

That said, I don't think that I will mind the 2012s!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

haha same here
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
if the TL looks anything like the rendering in the first post, they will not gain customers. i think its fugly

I would take it the way it looks over the rendered version but, but that is just my own opinion

the 4G is love/hate, i think no matter what they do, that status will never change until they do something a little more drastic

Quick Reply: 2012 Acura TL Rendered Speculation