2012 Acura TL (nosejob)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I would agree and of course styling in int he eyes of the beholder, but for me was the primary reason I moved on, never loved it like I did my Type-S, but as you say in every other aspect it was far superior! And for me if they get their styling in orde rI woudl be back in a second as I loved the handling and drive of the AWD TL!
True "to each its own", but one could argue that the M is no prettier, especial in non sport form.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
True "to each its own", but one could argue that the M is no prettier, especial in non sport form.
And that is why I have the Sport!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From TL to T-Edsel.

Seriously, I've driven the 4G TL extensively as a loaner. I really like the interior and it is more fun to drive that the 3G TL. I can't believe Acura has left that nose on the car this long with such sagging sales.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Admiral Crunch

4g TL is a disaster. I'm just going to quietly wait until the 5g to even consider a TL.

That being said, the options on the newer car are better than the 3G. If I had a choice of which car I would want right now, I'd take the ugly ass 4G over the 3G based on functionality.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I think it's an improvement. The 4G is too syfy looking for me.
Ever since it came out I've been calling it the "bat-mobile"
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
^ I agree completely.Its well known that people are afraid of change. Slowly though, 3g owners are trading in their cars for a 4g. The design grows on you like a fungus, slowly but surely.
Fungus! You got that right!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RedHeadTlGrrl
Fungus! You got that right!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
C&D just gave Acura designers Dave Marek & Jon Ikeda of California a C-, the second lowest score out of 22 manufactures. Who got the D+?? Hmm, starts with a T and doesn't stop...

Patton, Phil. "Upfront." Car and Driver 56.5 (2010): 28. Print.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 PM
COTM Coordinator

Sounds like a Prius...... glad you sited correctly lol... I havent seen that since college. I dont think the design of the TL is a C- and I really dont think Toyota should get a D, some of their cars look great.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Sounds like a Prius...... glad you sited correctly lol... I havent seen that since college. I dont think the design of the TL is a C- and I really dont think Toyota should get a D, some of their cars look great.
Yes, agreed. However, the 4GTL grille is fugly IMHO. But, we will change it out next year with RJ's A-bar. The rest of the car is Smokin' Hot and all the haters can go to hell, AFAIC.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Get over it guys. The car if fine. If people don't like it they don't have to buy it. When I first saw it I said I will never buy that car. Drove it and was sold on it immediately.
Like the fact that there are not alot out there!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I want that Bat mobile...so many...toys!

My older brother and his friends adore my car. One of them races across the border in SC. He and his racing partners like not only the way it drives and handles, but they give praise to the daring styling.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
Get over it guys. The car if fine. If people don't like it they don't have to buy it. When I first saw it I said I will never buy that car. Drove it and was sold on it immediately.
But that is kind of the point, sales are in the crapper for the TL. Many of us really enjoyed the previous TL models and want Acura to make a good TL again.

"But Acura dealers might suggest calling it a styling disaster. The TL sedan is Acura’s best-selling vehicle, yet sales are less than half of what they were only four years ago. These spy images prove Acura heard the criticism and is scaling back the size of the controversial styling feature. "
Old 10-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^This is the type of thing we hear all the time and while I don't necessarily disagree with it, it's also very hard to distinguish just how much the TL if suffering due to economic reasons and how much it is suffering due to not being well received.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-03-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Exactly how I felt when the '09s came out. Went and drove the '10 MT, and that was it. The styling has definitely grown on me. Almost everything else looks too . . . conventional.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
^This is the type of thing we hear all the time and while I don't necessarily disagree with it, it's also very hard to distinguish just how much the TL if suffering due to economic reasons and how much it is suffering due to not being well received.
This is a reasonable question. I'm sure the economy doesn't help but I also have to say I never once heard anyone use the term "fugly" to describe the Acura TL until the current generation was released and I've heard that same word used by friends across the country. Some of my friends who enjoyed the TL in the past were told in no uncertain terms by their wives they won't be getting one even though they liked their older TL.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
This is why you compare it to the other manufaturers and their models in the same segment as they would more than likely be affected in a similar manner.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
This is why you compare it to the other manufaturers and their models in the same segment as they would more than likely be affected in a similar manner.
That still doesn't answer the question as to just how much it is affected, and that type of comparison doesn't necessarily narrow anything down to styling alone.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teomcdohl
4g TL is a disaster. I'm just going to quietly wait until the 5g to even consider a TL.
I woudl not say a disaster, just questionable styling direction, every other aspect of the car is a great improvement. I have been in my M37S for just over 3 months now and can say while my M37 is a nice ride, the TL was built way more solid and at $14K cheaper too!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Question what is the financial impact on trading in a 4G TL when the front end and or rear end have been painted?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Question what is the financial impact on trading in a 4G TL when the front end and or rear end have been painted?
I wouldn't think it would have any impact as so many dealers are painting them before thay have even been sold.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks more and more like a Toyota every year....ugh!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Looks more and more like a Toyota every year....ugh!
Show me a car that doesn't share traits? I see traits cars in the 3G TL, so what are you saying? The Ford inspired look of the 3G is superior? Just a question I like to ask of haters...humor me
Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I wouldn't think it would have any impact as so many dealers are painting them before thay have even been sold.
I suppose. That's what I was thinking...wanted another observation. Much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I woudl not say a disaster, just questionable styling direction, every other aspect of the car is a great improvement. I have been in my M37S for just over 3 months now and can say while my M37 is a nice ride, the TL was built way more solid and at $14K cheaper too!
A co-worker of mine just got a new leased M37 and I have to agree. While the car is a better looking car to me, it sure doesn't beat the 4G by the $20k more he paid than a SH-AWD TL. At least not for my needs. The SHAWD TL is a steal at the $37-$39k people seem to be paying for it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
A co-worker of mine just got a new leased M37 and I have to agree. While the car is a better looking car to me, it sure doesn't beat the 4G by the $20k more he paid than a SH-AWD TL. At least not for my needs. The SHAWD TL is a steal at the $37-$39k people seem to be paying for it.
I have found Infiniti overall to be a great car, but it is obvious they cut corners to drive cost out of their cars, they never feel as tight or solid as even my 3G TL did.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I have found Infiniti overall to be a great car, but it is obvious they cut corners to drive cost out of their cars, they never feel as tight or solid as even my 3G TL did.

Subliminal message; as tight as a 3G, not 4G....I'm just saying, I'm just saying.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here I traded in my 3g...was very happy with the car but just said to myself there are alot of 3G's out here and everyone is driving them...EVERYONE! I would pull up to a 3G and expect a young person in it...and see a Grandma or Grandpa ballin it...LOL! All GOOD! But It's like being in NY and seeing all the taxi's.

The 4G is original...and unique...of course not everyone will like it...but Im sure glad there are not many out there.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's funny. I've had the complete opposite experience with Infiniti and Acura. My FX is built like a tank and much better than my 3G TL. After 6 years, not one rattle, noise, etc from my Infiniti whereas my 08 TL is a freakin rattle box getting worse by the day. Creaking/rattles does not equal good build quality in my opinion. I still see too many noise and rattle discussions on this forum and even the 4G TL still has these issues.

I have not read a review of the new M where the interior and cost cutting has been mentioned as a con. If anything its been highly praised and well regarded as finally being class competitive to the German and Japanese counterparts.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
That's funny. I've had the complete opposite experience with Infiniti and Acura. My FX is built like a tank and much better than my 3G TL. After 6 years, not one rattle, noise, etc from my Infiniti whereas my 08 TL is a freakin rattle box getting worse by the day. Creaking/rattles does not equal good build quality in my opinion. I still see too many noise and rattle discussions on this forum and even the 4G TL still has these issues.

I have not read a review of the new M where the interior and cost cutting has been mentioned as a con. If anything its been highly praised and well regarded as finally being class competitive to the German and Japanese counterparts.
Maybe that's why your car cost's $10k - $15k more....those extra welds.

I had a rattle in my car and thought it was the Sun/Moon roof...It was actually my sunglasses in the upper compartment.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 777mycoolangelo
Maybe that's why your car cost's $10k - $15k more....those extra welds.

I had a rattle in my car and thought it was the Sun/Moon roof...It was actually my sunglasses in the upper compartment.
huh? My car did not cost 10-15k more. At that time, a FX was priced just higher than where the EX is now. I think my window sticker was $41k something if I recall and the sale price was like 37 or 38k. Only difference I can come up with is that the FX is entirely built/assembled in Japan where the TL is built/assembled in Ohio .

Even if a car costs more then another, there is no excuse for rattles or noises in a luxury division vehicle PERIOD. The TL is by no means a cheap car.

I'm not talking about sunglasses rattling in the sunglass holder, I'm talking about moon roof assembly rattles, dash corner/pillar rattles, rattles behind door panels, center console rattles, rear deck noises, speaker rattles, etc etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smarty666
After 6 years, not one rattle, noise, etc from my Infiniti whereas my 08 TL is a freakin rattle box getting worse by the day. Creaking/rattles does not equal good build quality in my opinion. I still see too many noise and rattle discussions on this forum and even the 4G TL still has these issues.
It's funny you should mention that - my 01 is very quiet for creaks and rattles. The sound insulation sucks so you really hear the road but not a lot of other stuff like rattling.

I'll admit - even though the transmission died on my car (they recalled it so I have no complaint) I would really like Acura to make a TL I want again. I'm hoping the nose job is enough for me to consider it although I almost bought a lexus es a couple of months ago - $10K more but if that is what it costs to get a car with the features I want and for it not to be deemed "fugly" by the bulk of the people I know I'll consider it.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Drifting

and for it not to be deemed "fugly" by the bulk of the people I know I'll consider it.
Is the issue what others think about it or what you think about it?

It's sounds like you are not too found of it yourself but remember people will have something to say no matter what you buy and mostly negative too and it usually comes from a place of jealously. So who cares what they think?

The most important thing is what you think and I try to consider what other people think about me or anything that pertains to me personally but negatively, really should not be any of my business, unless I want to act or be considered insecure. If anything you get commended by the other half of the group for driving a bold styled vehicle despite what the consensus might be. I have had a number of people tell me that if I had not got this car they would have never known what great car it is or even considered that to be possible.

The vehicle being "fugly" is not a part of my reality because I don't have that opinion of it, regardless of what anyone else thinks. I respect other opinions but it has nothing to do with me or my own. The reality for me is instead, others may not like it that much and that's fine cause I am driving it and paying for it, not anyone else.

As far as rattles, the majority of 3G owners experience them including other quailty issues like paint. While the 4G may have taken one step in the wrong direction by many opinions as far as styling goes, it took several steps in the right direction at the same time. That's not to say all of them are free from quality issues (I don't believe any car truly ever is) but the difference from the 3G is night and day.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-05-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
9th Gear

My wife said the exact same thing when I followed her home from work last week in my new 2010 TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual CBP!!!

You know what...I LOVE the styling. I think it is unique, does not look odd at all, etc. I know I am one of the few thousands apparently that feel that way, so please forgive all of us poor misguided souls.

Hopefully, Acura will do what is necessary to please all of the folks that hate the design. For me, I'll happily keep this car and enjoy the hell out of driving it --- at least, that's what the SH-AWD manual tranny is meant for in my mind.

Peace all. Mike
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Is the issue what others think about it or what you think about it?
I agree, I think the looks of the 3G or even my OLD 2G are much better than the new one but I'll admit that most of my friends have been quite clear that they really find the new TL quite unattractive. The word many of them used was fugly so I'll stick with that description myself.

I think they've improved the features significantly on the new TL over my old TL. The things I would have them improve further are -
1 -Put the old steering wheel back, I have large hands even by guy standards and I don't get the point of driving around with a innertube for a steering wheel.
2 - Improve the MPG - in a decade they can't get better gas mileage? Sure they've added a few more HP but unless there are a lot of drivers participating in a death race they probably can't go over 80MPH without getting a ticket.
3 - Improve the GPS - should have both a touch interface and the knob. Seems cumbersome in it's current form. Is it faster and more feature laden then my old GPS - absolutley but still not where it should be.

That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate other improvements but these items seem to be set backs along with the looks.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Drifting

^I just think it gets overblown. Most people will say they prefer the 2G and especially the 3G but that does not necessarily make the 4G hideous, a disater, or fugly. It is a questionable direction and therefore the reactions exaggerated. For the record fugly doesn't bother me, I am sure much worse has been said.

As for the steering wheel, many seem to like it and IMO it compliments the electric steering nicely but it is a matter of preference as is the location of the navi, and you are entitled to prefer what you prefer.

As far as the gas mileage, the EPA revisited the way they measure MPG for all 08 models and on. So while it appears the 4G gets worse mileage than the 3G and 2G, it's actually the same or in line despite the added weight, displacement, and power.

In other words, the 2G would never get the same 19/29 rating today, the same thing goes for the 04-07 3G models. Actually fueleconomy.gov has either 2G model estimated as having worse city mileage by today's standards than both the 3G and 4G, so while it is only an estimate and the 4G may not be entirely better it is no worse despite the additions and upgrades of the 3G and now 4G. The 6AT will make a futher impact in MPG and performance at the same time.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21915.shtml - 2006 (revised)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/29716.shtml - 2010

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/16734.shtml - 2001 (revised)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...Acura_TL.shtml - 2008 3G models

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-05-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Should Cars Have Wings????

Originally Posted by Mimo
My wife said the exact same thing when I followed her home from work last week in my new 2010 TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual CB!!!

You know what...I LOVE the styling. I think it is unique, does not look odd at all, etc. I know I am one of the few thousands apparently that feel that way, so please forgive all of us poor misguided souls.

Hopefully, Acura will do what is necessary to please all of the folks that hate the design. For me, I'll happily keep this car and enjoy the hell out of driving it --- at least, that's what the SH-AWD manual tranny is meant for in my mind.

Peace all. Mike
See,,,, I think one or two dozen people in the USA hate the 4G design, and I would guess all 12 of them are right here complaining. And I think most of these folks have zero credibility. By that I mean unless they have the credentials to speak intelligently about design characteristics, what do they base their conclusion on? After all, who could possibly like a car that has WINGS on it? Are cars suppose to look like birds? But them we all know how FANTASTIC the new Gull Wing BENZ looks!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 PM
COTM Coordinator

http://acuraconnected.com/
read
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 AM
The Sicilian

I have owned 2 Maximas and love them. So I am partial to Nissans. But my sister has owned 2 G35X's and when driving her cars they just were not comfortable to me at all.
Even my brother-in-law can't stand sitting in the car.
Told my wife if she would like to test drive the Infiniti and she said no way. She just does'nt like the car.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by 777mycoolangelo
The 4G is original...and unique...of course not everyone will like it...but Im sure glad there are not many out there.
I'm fairly confident that Acura Corporate does not agree with these statements.

Quick Reply: 2012 Acura TL (nosejob)