2012 Acura TL (nosejob)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
performance wise, i dont know...my 07 type s was faster in my seat of the pants comparo to my new sh...but everything else about the 4g is superior, everthing....
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
I don't know why the mods couldn't have just left this in the 3G area where it was since we had other threads similar already in the 4G forums. Now, us 3G people who don't like the new TL, have to hear from the whining 4G slobbering love boys, about how we have a problem or need to be insulted b/c a 3Ger or anyone else for that matter has any negative opinion of the 4G TL. God forbid not everyone likes it. In fact, if anyone is jealous, its 4Gers like you who have to poke fun/insult people who don't like the vehicle b/c its styling and sales have gone down so much, compared to the previous generation, which isn't suppose to happen, and need any excuse possible to make yourself feel better that you made the right purchase, despite the markets overwhelming majority of not accepting the new gen TL.
. Now, us 3G people who don't like the new TL, have to hear from the whining 4G slobbering love boys, about how we have a problem or need to be insulted b/c a 3Ger or anyone else for that matter has any negative opinion of the 4G TL.

Most of the whinning and, bitching, and acting like a kindergartner comes from your side of the fence. 4G'er who delight in their ride are done with your sniveling. Man up dude and just move on. Enjoy your damn car and quite "pearl harboring" folks feelings about what they like. Fanboy this and fanboy that...98% of it comes as attacks from 3Gers who won't let go, the same thing happened to disco, the Bee Gee's had their time player. Rest and be still my man.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Agree five billion percent with both of your posts.
Followers. The slither over as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by PenguinTL
*yawn* who gives a crap? When someone else starts making my payments, then I'll give some credence to their tastes (good, bad or otherwise).

Love it, hate it, think the last one is old news...I don't really care either way. Just sometimes it surprises me how much negative energy people can muster for objects or events that don't even directly affect them.

I'm not an Acura fanboy (or any brand's fanboy for that matter), but the negativity in this place - especially between the generations - is absolutely suffocating sometimes. And that's coming from someone who has personally experienced issues with their Acura, so that's a pretty sad testimony LOL
Here, here. I'm stepping away from this post. As you said the negative vibe is a drag. It's senseless. Why can't the Acura folks like the brand, their model, live and let live and all that jive man. I'm out like the lights.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 3G WAS hot, not anymore, its played out and owned by everyone, its been used and abused like some of the dirty ho3s I used to check.

The 4G is new, futuristic, and got curves, - pictures don't do justice, I got the skirt package and 20" rims, everyone awes and oooozz at my car everyday, and its been out almost 2.5 years.

I love my purchase - the 3g is just too boxy and boring now. Have fun with your old beaters!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced

My brother in-law is still kicking himself whenever he saw my 4G. He regreted that he didn't wait for 4G model come out late of 2008. He bought 2008 TL two weeks before 4G was arrived. He is planning to trade in his 08 TL whenever 2011 TL comes out. Is that explained something to 3G owners?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
I dont think acura has ever made a ugly TL....1/2/3/4G all rock..When ever a "new" model of any vehicle arrives...owners of the older version wil Btch/complain about what it does and does not have...Hey if you dont like the 4G dont buy one its a no brainer
Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, this is gonna get messy.

Some of the comments, including some of the 4g owners, are senseless. Im sure that every 4g owner at one point in time, if not still, loved the 3g. The styling was new and unique and there was nothing like it on the road. Yeah it may be a bit dated, but some dated vehicles live forever because of the choice styling.

To say the 3g is a piece of shit is a lie, to say its a box is also a lie. Its a damn sexy car and I love to look at them. But the 4g is in a different league, a different styling level just as the 3g was to the 2g. The 4g is new and there really is nothing like it on the road (whether you see that as a positive or negative is up to you) but like mentioned previously, I too get nothing but positive reinforcement on my TL's styling.

For the 3g guys, there is nothing wrong with admitting that your car is dated. My 2g was dated but I loved it, and I gave a hell of a lot of credit to the 3g for being what it was and still is. There is no need to make the ridiculous comments that are being made other than to make yourselves feel better.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL

Some of the comments, including some of the 4g owners, are senseless. Im sure that every 4g owner at one point in time, if not still, loved the 3g. The styling was new and unique and there was nothing like it on the road. Yeah it may be a bit dated, but some dated vehicles live forever because of the choice styling.

To say the 3g is a piece of shit is a lie, to say its a box is also a lie. Its a damn sexy car and I love to look at them. But the 4g is in a different league, a different styling level just as the 3g was to the 2g. The 4g is new and there really is nothing like it on the road (whether you see that as a positive or negative is up to you) but like mentioned previously, I too get nothing but positive reinforcement on my TL's styling.

For the 3g guys, there is nothing wrong with admitting that your car is dated. My 2g was dated but I loved it, and I gave a hell of a lot of credit to the 3g for being what it was and still is. There is no need to make the ridiculous comments that are being made other than to make yourselves feel better.
Well said. I've said my opinion about the 4G TL a while back and don't come on to the 4G threads on a regular basis to berate 4G owners about their purchases, though I do know who those 4G people are talking about that do. As before, this thread was moved from the 3G section so I'm not surprised their are 4G people on complaining about what we said. I'm glad they are happy with their 4G purchase and are enjoying the car. That is what matters.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
When we were car shopping, I really wanted to buy the 2010 Maxima. Have had 2 Maximas and loved them. Wanted to love the 2010.
Did'nt even consider the 2010 TL till we drove it and fell in love with it. Was also looking at a used 2008 White TL Type S but just was not my wife's bag since this is her car.
As someone mentioned before, there has never been an ugly TL made IMO.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

This was very well said.

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Followers. The slither over as well.
I hope you never talk about people having immature/uncalled for/senseless/pointless/etc. posts again. The bulk of your posts in threads like this just add fuel to the fire. Thanks for trying, though.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
This was very well said.

I hope you never talk about people having immature/uncalled for/senseless/pointless/etc. posts again. The bulk of your posts in threads like this just add fuel to the fire. Thanks for trying, though.
Take a look in the mirror dude.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
haters gonna hate/

im sorry.. but my 4G is rare, nobody has it , and everybody comments on it
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
haters gonna hate/

im sorry.. but my 4G is rare, nobody has it , and everybody comments on it
..it's just sick. And haters, they're gonna hate as they say in my old hood, "They got nutting better ta do."
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
COTM Coordinator

Here we go again
Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Here we go again
I just paid dude a compliment. His TL is sharp as Black & Decker box cutter...what?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
COTM Coordinator

What? is all the other childish bullshit that gets posted between the 4g and 3g crowd. Last time I saw this kind of stupid hatred was over the Gaza strip and even they have a better reason to hater each other.

Snide comments are not needed, we all bought Acuras no matter the model.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
siblings will always fight thats just the way it is lol, in the end we are still one big happy family.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
COTM Coordinator

As long as we all see it that way, great. There are a few on here that seem to be taking this personally.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I think it's a stretch to argue that TL sales are down because of the new styling. The car has moved up a half-notch in the market (especially the Tech and SH-AWD versions) and sales numbers are smaller the higher in the market (e.g., $$) you go.
I'd have to go back and look at my sales papers, but I think I can probably get a 2010 SH-AWD for only about $1000-$2000 more than what I paid for my '04 TL back in October of '03. The 2WD TL can be had for about $2000 less than what I paid for my TL, I think. They're discounting this car far below its sticker price, so it's a heck of a deal, if you ask me. I'm not sure what similarly equipped G37's are going for - maybe they're discounted even more? I don't know.

At the end of the day, all that it matters is whether the 4G owners like their cars. Most of us (including a growing number of former 3G owners) do - very much.
(although it hasn't completely won me over yet, I can't knock others for liking what it offers)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

What? is all the other childish bullshit that gets posted between the 4g and 3g crowd. Last time I saw this kind of stupid hatred was over the Gaza strip and even they have a better reason to hater each other.

Snide comments are not needed, we all bought Acuras no matter the model.
Thanks for being the bigger guy, unlike posters with comments like "Take a look in the mirror dude," which is just a classic case of pointing one's finger at someone with three pointed back at themselves.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
COTM Coordinator

^ Your doing the same shit. Both of you want the final word and you guys have been at each others nuts for a long time. No one thinks either of you are right besides yourselves. At this rate, every thread you two post in is going to be pages long filled with your lovers quarrel. Just get a room do your thing then forget about each other.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

^ Your doing the same shit. Both of you want the final word and you guys have been at each others nuts for a long time. No one thinks either of you are right besides yourselves. At this rate, every thread you two post in is going to be pages long filled with your lovers quarrel. Just get a room do your thing then forget about each other.
That's why I thanked YOU.

Plus if you noticed he went after me (again). This is not, however, to play innocent at all games.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I've owned 3 TL's (2k, 04 and 08) and admit I wasn't real happy with the 4g when it first came out. Then again as the owner of a 2g I wasn't exactly enthralled with the 3g when IT first came out either. However, my only real complaint with the 4g was the "tooth" which I have since gotten used to and even embraced. But what really sold me on the desire for ownership of a 4g was a test drive. While I love my 3g the 4g's ride and interior are superior in every way and that is where I spend the most of my time. At my age, comfort is beginning to become more a factor than sport so I wasn't surprised that the larger 4g would not only be more comfortable but still retain some sport and the great value that first sold me on TL's 10 years ago. I am NOT ready for an ES yet!

I can also see why those who bought a 3g more for the "sport" wouldn't be happy. Most of us love and are loyal to our car choices and the manufacturer and when the latter decides to go a different route away from what we are used to we tend to feel violated which brings out the worst of emotions. The 3g was and is a great car. The 4g is a great car in its own right and will get even better as it continues to evolve with the MMC being the next step. It isn't for everybody but if I wanted to be like everybody I'd be driving Camry or Accord.

In the meantime, my 08 lease expires in 5 months and I am facing the dilemma of pulling the trigger on a 2010-2011 or extending a couple of months longer and waiting for the 2012. Either way I know I won't be disappointed with my decision because the 4g is a fine car for what it was designed to do and it is what I am ready to move up to. Style will always be a relative opinion so I don't think there is a need for 3g owners to bash 4g'ers and vice versa. Why can't we all just get along? Sorry for the rant.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
I've owned 3 TL's (2k, 04 and 08) and admit I wasn't real happy with the 4g when it first came out. Then again as the owner of a 2g I wasn't exactly enthralled with the 3g when IT first came out either. However, my only real complaint with the 4g was the "tooth" which I have since gotten used to and even embraced. But what really sold me on the desire for ownership of a 4g was a test drive. While I love my 3g the 4g's ride and interior are superior in every way and that is where I spend the most of my time. At my age, comfort is beginning to become more a factor than sport so I wasn't surprised that the larger 4g would not only be more comfortable but still retain some sport and the great value that first sold me on TL's 10 years ago. I am NOT ready for an ES yet!

I can also see why those who bought a 3g more for the "sport" wouldn't be happy. Most of us love and are loyal to our car choices and the manufacturer and when the latter decides to go a different route away from what we are used to we tend to feel violated which brings out the worst of emotions. The 3g was and is a great car. The 4g is a great car in its own right and will get even better as it continues to evolve with the MMC being the next step. It isn't for everybody but if I wanted to be like everybody I'd be driving Camry or Accord.

In the meantime, my 08 lease expires in 5 months and I am facing the dilemma of pulling the trigger on a 2010-2011 or extending a couple of months longer and waiting for the 2012. Either way I know I won't be disappointed with my decision because the 4g is a fine car for what it was designed to do and it is what I am ready to move up to. Style will always be a relative opinion so I don't think there is a need for 3g owners to bash 4g'ers and vice versa. Why can't we all just get along? Sorry for the rant.
The 2012 MMC update is suppose to becoming out 6 months early around April sometime so if I were you I would wait to see in person the changes Acura has made to the grill. I suspect some 2011's will still be on the lot at that time and you'll be able to look at each grill/changes side to side and decide which one you like better.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

The 2012 MMC update is suppose to becoming out 6 months early around April sometime so if I were you I would wait to see in person the changes Acura has made to the grill. I suspect some 2011's will still be on the lot at that time and you'll be able to look at each grill/changes side to side and decide which one you like better.
That's the model I'm waiting for.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Good post, Oswald. I don't have your TL history, but I agree 100% with your statements.

I think the best advice is to see if you can get a full look at the 2012 MMC before you pull the trigger. There should still be 2011s available at that point, and if you don't like the MMC, you can just buy the 2011, which appears will be virtually unchanged from the 2010s. Either way, you'll be happy, I'm sure.

The TL (particularly in SH-AWD trim) is an excellent car. It's not for everyone, but it certainly satisfies all my needs (and my 12 year old's friends say it "rocks.")
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exactly. That's what I plan on doing but I doubt I'll be able to get as good a deal on an MMC as I would a 2010-2011 and by then the inventory may make it difficult to get the color combo I want (WDP/Ebony).
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Good post, Oswald. I don't have your TL history, but I agree 100% with your statements.

I think the best advice is to see if you can get a full look at the 2012 MMC before you pull the trigger. There should still be 2011s available at that point, and if you don't like the MMC, you can just buy the 2011, which appears will be virtually unchanged from the 2010s. Either way, you'll be happy, I'm sure.

The TL (particularly in SH-AWD trim) is an excellent car. It's not for everyone, but it certainly satisfies all my needs (and my 12 year old's friends say it "rocks.")
Right on and thanks for the compliment. Fortunately Acura will let me extend my lease on a month-to-month basis for up to a year after it runs out in Feb. I'll probably do so until the MMC is in the showroom and then make the decision which way to go.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
COTM Coordinator

Looking at the MMC spec, it seems like the styling is tamed too much. Im not sure if Im gonna like it or not, but I will have to make that determination when it hits the showroom floor.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
The updated front end looks like the old CL to me. Especially the front bumper contours...

Exactly! The new front looks identical to my old black '94 Accord LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
WDP vs NBP...3G vs 4G...blah blah blah, come on guys..really?!? Its getting old
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
..it's just sick. And haters, they're gonna hate as they say in my old hood, "They got nutting better ta do."
The back and forth "Mine's better, yours is ugly" in AZ is nothing compaired to the shit talking I read in the Caddy forums. Check it out, it's good for a laugh.

As far as my 4G TL looks...Hate the beak and will replace with RJ Grille.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
. Now, us 3G people who don't like the new TL, have to hear from the whining 4G slobbering love boys, about how we have a problem or need to be insulted b/c a 3Ger or anyone else for that matter has any negative opinion of the 4G TL.

Most of the whinning and, bitching, and acting like a kindergartner comes from your side of the fence. 4G'er who delight in their ride are done with your sniveling. Man up dude and just move on. Enjoy your damn car and quite "pearl harboring" folks feelings about what they like. Fanboy this and fanboy that...98% of it comes as attacks from 3Gers who won't let go, the same thing happened to disco, the Bee Gee's had their time player. Rest and be still my man.
The issue is also a 4G owner with an alternate sense of reality and getting upset about everyone and everything. We have seen the numbers the 3G was universally loved and the 4G is not. So 4G owners should expect the continued razing as outside of owners, most do not like the vehicle. No big deal and its not the first nor last car most people won't like.

I would not call the 3G dated at all. Like the NSX or 2G Legend it seems to be a classic design that has aged incredibly well. Ask any Acura dealer and the 3G TL is a plus for them on their used car lots.

You will only see positive reinforcement as you like the car and most people won't be negative about it in person.

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
\ Style will always be a relative opinion so I don't think there is a need for 3g owners to bash 4g'ers and vice versa. Why can't we all just get along? Sorry for the rant.
Great post. Thing is when the majority likes or dislikes something, it becomes less of an opinion and more of an agreement.

Seeing how Acura is toning the style down is indication that they recognize the styling was a negative attribute and they are working hard to fix it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet

I would not call the 3G dated at all. Like the NSX or 2G Legend it seems to be a classic design that has aged incredibly well. Ask any Acura dealer and the 3G TL is a plus for them on their used car lots.

You will only see positive reinforcement as you like the car and most people won't be negative about it in person.

Perhaps you didnt understand my post. Both the NSX and legend's styling is dated. This is not a bad thing. Those cars are still beautiful to this day, just like the 68 camaro, 65 mustang, and a ton of other classic cars. Lamborghini Diablo is dated, but still a beautiful car. Following that same trend, the 3g is also becoming dated, this does not take away from what the car was and still is. I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
The issue is also a 4G owner with an alternate sense of reality and getting upset about everyone and everything. We have seen the numbers the 3G was universally loved and the 4G is not. So 4G owners should expect the continued razing as outside of owners, most do not like the vehicle. No big deal and its not the first nor last car most people won't like.

Great post. Thing is when the majority likes or dislikes something, it becomes less of an opinion and more of an agreement.

Seeing how Acura is toning the style down is indication that they recognize the styling was a negative attribute and they are working hard to fix it.

I can recall when Mazda changed 1979–1985 RX-7 sweet design to the heavy fender flared 1989-1991 Mazda RX-7 design. The 1992–2002 Mazda RX-7 design IMO was one of the hottest. The original has got to be one of my all time favorite designs. Oh I wanted one as a teen so bad. All this said we have things that attract us more than others...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Exactly! The new front looks identical to my old black '94 Accord LOL
Different headlights, completely different grill, different fog lights. how do they look identical?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM
7th Gear

Hmmmm.. wonder how the grill is gonna look like..
Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
5th Gear

I sure hope RJ is working on something for this mediocre change.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by albatroswing89
Hmmmm.. wonder how the grill is gonna look like..
Looks just like the one going on the TSX Wagon.

Quick Reply: 2012 Acura TL (nosejob)