2012 Acura TL (nosejob)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmooser
still kinda reminds me of the newer camrys...
+1
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
"I believe a 4G TL is an old old wooden ship that was used during the civil war era"
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasTL
"I believe a 4G TL is an old old wooden ship that was used during the civil war era"
thank you Mr. Burgundy!

but yes...the 4g is hideous. idk what these guys were smokin' when they designed this "thing". nothing about it is appealing.

should've just kept the 3g design rollin for a few more years. why change something so drastically when it's worked so well for so long?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
That camo is pretty effective. Are you guys SURE that's a TL?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old vs New take a pick, I vote old...

Last edited by mb1976; 08-30-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Why would Acura ruin such a sexy design?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I really can't stand how hard they tried to make the interior look futuristic.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced

They should have just cleaned up the back end of the 3rd gen, gave it the SH-AWD and a seat with a little more thigh support and deeper bolster or air adjustable bolsters. Also, it would be nice to have ventilated/AC seats because my back gets so hot in my Type S. I keep looking at the seat heater to make sure my passenger did not flick it on just to screw with me. What I think they did was take the great selling TL and try to rehash the body lines into the Accord because thats their bread and butter and then tried hard to restyle the TL so it looks nothing like the Accord. Its too bad they ruined such a nice body style. I dont think the new TL has a touch screen either which sucks. The jog dial thing sucks in the BMW and they should not have changed another good thing

Last edited by wraithvr442; 08-30-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Racer

I think our 3rd gen TL's are going to look good for a very long time...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mb1976
I think our 3rd gen TL's are going to look good for a very long time...
Plus, their resale values are going to remain much higher than those 4G's. Have you seen how much poorer they are over on the 4G threads compare to our 3Gs? Geez! If it rains it pours.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new grille fixes SOME of the issues with the design .. hope the course correction doesn't kill the resale value of those who already bought .. still not sure that the fix would get me to stay in the TL family .. but I'll have to see how it looks in person
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by smarty666
Plus, their resale values are going to remain much higher than those 4G's. Have you seen how much poorer they are over on the 4G threads compare to our 3Gs? Geez! If it rains it pours.

Really?? I did not know that, I will definitely look at some 4G threads. Give me some good examples of some poor 4Gs kinda curious to know I am not to keen with the looks
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Hmmm...I think this thread must have originated in the 3rd gen forum

Thanks to whoever posted the 4G next to the 3G. Flaws aside, I am soooo happy I have my 2010 now. The design may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I loved our TL-S, but the new Acura just blows my old one away in so many ways.

Sure, it's a risky design, but I like taking risks. Different strokes for different folks, and some people are more open to change than others. I think I will like the MMC, and will swap grilles as I am guessing they will be interchangable I like the accent on the center of the rear bumper, but not going to switch fascias just for that.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mb1976
Old vs New take a pick, I vote old...

Yeah I think my buck toothed little bastard is much better than the dated 3g. I still love the 3g's, dont get me wrong, but theyre looking a little old.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Have you noticed that econo boxes are playing catch up to match the 3rd gen?
the chevy malibu for example. Also, a thread that was started today, stated that the 2g Ford Fusion took some design cues and amenities from the 3rd gen TL.

it might look bad now, but in a couple of years I see auto manuf. playing catch up with the 4th gen TL. The 3rd generation brought sleek lines that now in 2010 Chevy and Ford are "stealing".

this bigger space ship looking car, is the car of the future. I like the beak. it shows that Acura is thinking ahead of the times. The car looks more luxurious and not dated and bland like the 3rd Gen. I love my 3G TL but I'm starting to feel that cheaper cars are beginning to creep into my entry level luxury sedan status.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-01-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinTL
Hmmm...I think this thread must have originated in the 3rd gen forum
That is very clear... Personally I think the 3G looks dated after having my 4G for the past year. I LOVED my 07 TL-S, but it doesn't really compare to the 4G in the performance department.

Anyway - this is a major repost... so I would say

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/spied-2012-tl-mmc-782839/
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/2012-acura-tl-rendered-speculation-787324/
Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by justnspace
Have you noticed that econo boxes are playing catch up to match the 3rd gen?
the chevy malibu for example. Also, a thread that was started today, stated that the 2g Ford Fusion took some design cues and amenities from the 3rd gen TL.

it might look bad now, but in a couple of years I see auto manuf. playing catch up with the 4th gen TL. The 3rd generation brought sleek lines that now in 2010 Chevy and Ford are "stealing".

this bigger space ship looking car, is the car of the future. I like the beak. it shows that Acura is thinking ahead of the times. The car looks more luxurious and not dated and bland like the 3rd Gen. I love my 3G TL but I'm starting to feel that cheaper cars are beginning to creep into my entry level luxury sedan status.
This is a common concept with clothing fashion as well. Well known designers make something outrageous that is very controversial but turns out to be a big hit, then walmart and targetr start selling a similarly designed replica of that controversial style. Im sure you have seen itt before.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
This is a common concept with clothing fashion as well. Well known designers make something outrageous that is very controversial but turns out to be a big hit, then walmart and targetr start selling a similarly designed replica of that controversial style. Im sure you have seen itt before.
I think that "copying design cues" are found in every aspect of the business world.

I'm just pointing out that the 4th Gen TL isnt that bad. Actually, its a fine looking car that others will imitate in the following years. A lot of people in this thread and the other "repost" really despise this new change and it showed in sales. If they kept the beak it would have really branded the image. Acura tried to do what sony is doing for the PS3. Actually, it follows the same pattern. Slow start of sales for both...but look at the ps3 now. its almost at the top.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
COTM Coordinator

^ I agree completely.Its well known that people are afraid of change. Slowly though, 3g owners are trading in their cars for a 4g. The design grows on you like a fungus, slowly but surely.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM

you are right, people are afraid of change. Again, too bad Acura decided to refresh the beak. I think it would have been cool to see a full line up of cars with the same "brand image"

I enjoy the 4th Gen. Only wish I could afford one.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hate my buck tooth grill; love the rest of 4G. The 3G was a hot and without doubt deserves accolades for its sexy body and fast Type S accessories. However, the keen edge styling of my 4G won me over from the first sight. Those well deserved wheel arches and that vertical sheet metal on its sides, to the up turned front and rear brows give it an angry beast look.
But I know what it’s like to be in love, as I can’t stand the 2G RDX. Yet, they are selling like hotcakes.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Styling cues are signs that it's what people like and selling. So they get implemented into other car designs.
I wasn't feeling the first iteration of the 3G stlye until the last run of the Type-S design. Timing is everything, the 4G's hit and the street and the styling was a hot with me from day one, including the grille. After researching the car and it's mechanics, and features. The a few test drives, kicking a few tires, and months of comparative shopping. I was about set to purchase. I Peeped Consumer Reports write ups and Edmund's then paid for praise publications like MT, R&D, and C&D to see hear how good their palms were greased by other manufactures. Substance, value, and reliability added to the cars appeal.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Looks better to me but then again I didn't mind the current 4G look.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I use to own an 05 Acura TL 6-speed and loved the car, but everywhere I turn in LA i see another 3G. No matter what you do to it styling wise, it still looks relatively the same. Now I have a 4G with a 6-speed which I got in 10/03/09 and love it. The best part, no one really has it and the ones that do see it likes the styling. To each his/her own.

-DeL
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
a few things come to mind when reading the comments from 3G'ers who love to hate on 4G TLs I think of the kindergarten kids in my ex-girlfriends class back in DC, jealousy comes to mind, but mainly the noise empty wagons make. Funny I don't hear any rattle in my 2009 TL SH-AWD, but I think I've found the source of the problem for those who do. Check to make sure you don't have your wireless device on this web page, because it's probably the post of a hatin' 3G owner. Noise, suppress it, gag a hating 3G'er today.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It's one thing for one to say they don't like it and leave it alone but for folks to suggest it's hideous or that it's experiencing slow sales just like 90% of the market of which has many so called better looking cars or that it's resale will suffer tremendously compared to the 3G because some traded or sold it in only a years time or less and took a hit, or that it drives and feels like a 40 year old virgin when the SH model is the most performance oriented TL to date despite it's size and weight, is just a bit of a stretch to valid some opinions.

Like the design or not, it's the better TL. It's simply better in more ways than it's not and it is the current production TL and it's not going anywhere for another 3 years, plus the newest 3G is already 3 years old at this point so why not try to be a bit more open minded and get used to it.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 09-01-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

Originally Posted by petec2010
That is very clear... Personally I think the 3G looks dated after having my 4G for the past year. I LOVED my 07 TL-S, but it doesn't really compare to the 4G in the performance department.

Anyway - this is a major repost... so I would say

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782839
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787324

Ditto!!!
I had a 07TypeS 6MT and now I'm driving a 2010 6MT (AWD) and I can say that without question, it is a faster, smoother, better handling car. The nose/beak/grille is cutting edge and stands out in a crowd in a great way.
And if you're going to bash a 4G TL - do it on a 3G forum -thanx
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
a few things come to mind when reading the comments from 3G'ers who love to hate on 4G TLs I think of the kindergarten kids in my ex-girlfriends class back in DC, jealousy comes to mind, but mainly the noise empty wagons make. Funny I don't hear any rattle in my 2009 TL SH-AWD, but I think I've found the source of the problem for those who do. Check to make sure you don't have your wireless device on this web page, because it's probably the post of a hatin' 3G owner. Noise, suppress it, gag a hating 3G'er today.
I don't know why the mods couldn't have just left this in the 3G area where it was since we had other threads similar already in the 4G forums. Now, us 3G people who don't like the new TL, have to hear from the whining 4G slobbering love boys, about how we have a problem or need to be insulted b/c a 3Ger or anyone else for that matter has any negative opinion of the 4G TL. God forbid not everyone likes it. In fact, if anyone is jealous, its 4Gers like you who have to poke fun/insult people who don't like the vehicle b/c its styling and sales have gone down so much, compared to the previous generation, which isn't suppose to happen, and need any excuse possible to make yourself feel better that you made the right purchase, despite the markets overwhelming majority of not accepting the new gen TL.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
It's one thing to for one to say they don't like it and leave it alone but for folks to suggest it' hideous or that it's experiencing slow sales just like 90% of the market of which has many so called better looking cars or that it's resale will suffer tremendously compared to the 3G because some traded or sold it in only a years time or less and took a hit, or that it drives and feels like a 40 year old virgin when the SH model is the most performance oriented TL to date despite it's size and weight, is just a bit of a stretch to valid some opinions.

Like the design or not, it's the better TL. It's simply better in more ways than it's not and it is the current production TL and it's not going anywhere for another 3 years, plus the newest 3G is already 3 years old at this point so why not try to be a bit more open minded and get used to it.
The TL sales were down again last month. At this point, your making a ridiculous excuse that the rest of the auto market and/or segment is down but that is simply not the case. The Maxima, LaCrosse, G, and others are all up in sales compared to just 1 year ago. Face it, the TL has not caught on. Its not going to. A lot of people are turned off by it and thus continue not to purchase it. It can be a variety of reasons, size, grill, lack of certain features, what ever it is, but it is not selling well, not just compared to the 3G TL but to the other competitors in and around its segment. I mean the TSX and MDX are selling well and consistently sell well so I don't think it has entirely all to do with the grill. It will be interesting to see if with the MMC changes for 2012 if that is enough to increase its sales finally. If it does, then that means the grill had a lot of to do with it.

None of you would have even read this if the mods had just left in the 3G forum.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smarty666
I don't know why the mods couldn't have just left this in the 3G area where it was since we had other threads similar already in the 4G forums. Now, us 3G people who don't like the new TL, have to hear from the whining 4G slobbering love boys, about how we have a problem or need to be insulted b/c a 3Ger or anyone else for that matter has any negative opinion of the 4G TL. God forbid not everyone likes it. In fact, if anyone is jealous, its 4Gers like you who have to poke fun/insult people who don't like the vehicle b/c its styling and sales have gone down so much, compared to the previous generation, which isn't suppose to happen, and need any excuse possible to make yourself feel better that you made the right purchase, despite the markets overwhelming majority of not accepting the new gen TL.
Agree five billion percent with both of your posts.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Smarty, i think you took that a little too personal.

its not that big of a deal really.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Smarty, i think you took that a little too personal.

its not that big of a deal really.
I didn't take it personally so if it sounds like I did, I apologize. I didn't take it personally. I'm annoyed more that the thread was moved to the 4G forum, more than likely to create some tension b/c they knew that when those 4G fanboys read the comments us 3Gers posted they were going to get mad b/c they can't possibly believe people think the 4G TL is ugly on the outside and that it is selling poorly! Just saw the sales figures for August and what a shock, TL sales down again. Here is hoping the MMC update next year brings the TL some very much needed sales help! There is something positive!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
COTM Coordinator

smarty you make me laugh. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about the 4g. Im glad there are a lot of you that think its ugly and there are definitely some of you that are trading in your 3g for the 4g, acura must have done something right.

Im glad you love your car, hell I love the 3g too, but the 4g crowd does not go into the 3g forum bashing your car and stating how superior ours is to yours. Its children like you that need to make yourselves feel better about your car being dated by making dumb remarks about the 4g.

All you got to do is look at the facts, and the facts are the 4g is a better car. There are also facts that its not selling well, no big deal. The less there are on the road, the more unique they are.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
I'm sure with a RJ Kit / wheels / drop it will look amazing.

I like the styling on the 4g, pretty bold.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
The 4G's styling is undeniably edgier than the 3Gs. I disliked it at first, but after driving the car and seeing it in person and from many angles, grew to appreciate and like it (especially from behind the wheel). Will it be considered a classic styling exercise (like my previous Legend Coupe)? Probably not. But it is a striking car that, for me, at least, has garnered a lot of positive comments and has a lot of road presence.

I think it's a stretch to argue that TL sales are down because of the new styling. The car has moved up a half-notch in the market (especially the Tech and SH-AWD versions) and sales numbers are smaller the higher in the market (e.g., $$) you go. Moreover, the marketplace of 2010 doesn't remotely resemble the marketplace the 3G entered when it was first introduced. It's just a lot more crowded than it was. All of these are factors in TL sales numbers. So to say the "TL is ugly and the lower sales numbers prove it" is just a little too simplistic, to say the least.

At the end of the day, all that it matters is whether the 4G owners like their cars. Most of us (including a growing number of former 3G owners) do - very much.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
smarty you make me laugh. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about the 4g. Im glad there are a lot of you that think its ugly and there are definitely some of you that are trading in your 3g for the 4g, acura must have done something right.

Im glad you love your car, hell I love the 3g too, but the 4g crowd does not go into the 3g forum bashing your car and stating how superior ours is to yours. Its children like you that need to make yourselves feel better about your car being dated by making dumb remarks about the 4g.

All you got to do is look at the facts, and the facts are the 4g is a better car. There are also facts that its not selling well, no big deal. The less there are on the road, the more unique they are.
WELL SAID!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

I think the 4G is nicer than the 3G. At first I thought it was weird looking, but now when I see a 4G and then look at my 3G, it just seems outdated. Not to say that I think the 3G looks old because it doesnt at all. Still one of the better looking cars in its class.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Drifting

It can be a variety of reasons
I think that is the most important thing you said, yet some seem to have magically proved it's all design related as if the price, size, and position have not gone up while the economy went down and obviously by the nature of this thread the 3G is a good enough product that most don't feel the need to upgrade to a higher priced FWD tech right now, nevermind a more expensive SH. Honestly already coming from a 3G TLS, the 4G FWD was never an option and it's not the greatest upgrade in general.

The TL sales have been the most consistent selling Acura model since it came out. That means it has had less fluctuation than all the other models on a month to month and year to year basis. For months at a time it has still been the best selling Acura model for the past few years and Acura is a pretty big seller in the luxury game as it is.

I never said anything about up, down, or specific market, I said slow in general and you are correct but only when you look at monthly sales which experience the most volatile fluctuations, when you look at YTD totals instead that is incorrect. In this way most sales, markets/segments and even many indivdual competitor vehicles are also down but my point is that sales are never a true measuring stick for uglyiness or how well a style alone is received.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 09-01-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The 4G's styling is undeniably edgier than the 3Gs. I disliked it at first, but after driving the car and seeing it in person and from many angles, grew to appreciate and like it (especially from behind the wheel). Will it be considered a classic styling exercise (like my previous Legend Coupe)? Probably not. But it is a striking car that, for me, at least, has garnered a lot of positive comments and has a lot of road presence.

I think it's a stretch to argue that TL sales are down because of the new styling. The car has moved up a half-notch in the market (especially the Tech and SH-AWD versions) and sales numbers are smaller the higher in the market (e.g., $$) you go. Moreover, the marketplace of 2010 doesn't remotely resemble the marketplace the 3G entered when it was first introduced. It's just a lot more crowded than it was. All of these are factors in TL sales numbers. So to say the "TL is ugly and the lower sales numbers prove it" is just a little too simplistic, to say the least.

At the end of the day, all that it matters is whether the 4G owners like their cars. Most of us (including a growing number of former 3G owners) do - very much.
Good post. That's what I am saying. It's one thing not to like the style, no one is bashing anyone for that alone. It's only an opinion so who cares? The thing is when a few say I don't like it and instead focus on stuff not related to the looks in which their opinon is focused and originated on, I scratch my head.

To say I don't like it and then focus on the design itself like the grill being too big, and the design too loud or the 3G is neater and cleaner and nowhere near as controversial makes perfect sense. I just don't see what all this resale, sales, driving characteristics, etc has anything to do with it. It's a stretch in the wrong direction and a lot of it is incorrect.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Instructor

*yawn* who gives a crap? When someone else starts making my payments, then I'll give some credence to their tastes (good, bad or otherwise).

Love it, hate it, think the last one is old news...I don't really care either way. Just sometimes it surprises me how much negative energy people can muster for objects or events that don't even directly affect them.

I'm not an Acura fanboy (or any brand's fanboy for that matter), but the negativity in this place - especially between the generations - is absolutely suffocating sometimes. And that's coming from someone who has personally experienced issues with their Acura, so that's a pretty sad testimony LOL

Quick Reply: 2012 Acura TL (nosejob)