2011 or 2012 TL wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010 | 11:43 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Rattle, what rattle? Mine is silent, in fact the one time I heard a rattle was when I had a foam cup in the cup holder half way in and it squeaked...I was like what the hell then I notice the cup, setted it and end of noise. And as far as the side mirrors tilting, you have to slide the mirror selector to the right or left(depending on which side you are parking) when you have it in reverse and it will tilt.
Old 05-25-2010 | 11:57 AM
Drifting

I agree that most car makers, including all the luxury brands are using much more plastic in an effort to cut costs. No mass-produced brand is immune to this. And a previous poster is right - the more hard plastic, the more rattles.

My '92 Legend had virtually no rattles/squeaks after 18 years. It also had a lot less hard plastic than virtually any mass-produced 2010 make/model. (I'm excluding the upper-end, hand-made or nearly hand-made lux-mobiles).

So far my 4G is very impressive in this category. Yes, it has some hard plastic pieces, but mostly in places that are not touch points and not obvious. And it is mostly tomb-quiet. People who have ridden in the car have commented on how solid and quiet it is.
Old 05-25-2010 | 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Rattle, what rattle? Mine is silent, in fact the one time I heard a rattle was when I had a foam cup in the cup holder half way in and it squeaked...I was like what the hell then I notice the cup, setted it and end of noise. And as far as the side mirrors tilting, you have to slide the mirror selector to the right or left(depending on which side you are parking) when you have it in reverse and it will tilt.
Not everyone's TL's silent. Glad yours is.

For the reverse mirrors, we were talking about having the option to have BOTH sides tilt down at the same time. So you'd have the options of "driver, off, both, passenger"

For example, the driveway at my house has high curbs where i need to back out at a certain angle in order to not scrap the front bumper of my TL. So in that situation, i'd need the driver side. Then I go parallel park, now i need the passenger side. Why can't there be an option to have both mirrors tilt instead of having to flick the switch multiple times a day?
Old 05-25-2010 | 12:38 PM
Drifting

Don't mean to be rude, but that is the biggest crock I have ever heard, to serve a greater purpose? What greater purpose is that, being a cheap ass?
Some areas being made of cheaper looking and feeling material was a bit of a put off until I realized that at least those areas felt more solid and added to the overall solidity, were more durable, more scuff and sctratch resistant, as I explained. Besides the door handles they are out of sight for the most part, not to mention everything else was upgraded so it's not all a bad thing.

There are a couple materials that are an upgrade but the majority don't look or feel that way. I felt the aluminum trims in the base and base with tech pack at the auto show last month and they did not have the cold metal feel to them that the ones in the 3G did.
I feel that the majority of the materials are an upgrade with the minority being downgraded in the look and feel category in favor or durability, solidity, and to reduce rattle proness but either way this can be considered subjective.

I would agree with that to a point but that doesn't hold true if you read people after people complaining of rattles in their 4G TLs. But I do agree, and as I mentioned earlier, Acura is not alone in doing this, more and more manufacturers are using plastic every where in these cars, both on the inside and outside, and they creat gaps between the panels. What happens is, even in a car with extremely good fit/finish and build quality like Acura, Lexus, and MB for instance, no matter how good it is, they leave gaps behind these panels and the pillar in the cars which allow these cheap plastic piece and other material to flex and move creating noises when going over bumps!
But the differences in the amount of complaints is night and day. I know that there are more 3G owners compared to 4G owners but the number of rattle complaints per owner is way less and I have been on the board to witness and comment on that since the 04 first came out. All cars get rattles that doesn't make the 4G immune but the number and significance of them is now less and that is all I am saying.

As far as the panel rubbing and flexing noises over bumps, that is no longer the case for most 4G owners. I am not saying it is all silent but any noise experienced doesn't come from the usual panels rubbing or flexing instead it is the tight suspension and bump impact resonating in the wheel well. That could have been better insulated but it's the same area that the driver hears the engine note come up through the car.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-25-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2010 | 01:15 PM
Instructor

Please change the front end and add a type S model with about 20-25 more ponies and I and many others will come running.
Old 05-25-2010 | 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Some areas being made of cheaper looking and feeling material was a bit of a put off until I realized that at least those areas felt more solid and added to the overall solidity, were more durable, more scuff and sctratch resistant, as I explained. Besides the door handles they are out of sight for the most part, not to mention everything else was upgraded so it's not all a bad thing.

I feel that the majority of the materials are an upgrade with the minority being downgraded in the look and feel category in favor or durability, solidity, and to reduce rattle proness but either way this can be considered subjective.

But the differences in the amount of complaints is night and day. I know that there are more 3G owners compared to 4G owners but the number of rattle complaints per owner is way less and I have been on the board to witness and comment on that since the 04 first came out. All cars get rattles that doesn't make the 4G immune but the number and significance of them is now less and that is all I am saying.

As far as the panel rubbing and flexing noises over bumps, that is no longer the case for most 4G owners. I am not saying it is all silent but any noise experienced doesn't come from the usual panels rubbing or flexing instead it is the tight suspension and bump impact resonating in the wheel well. That could have been better insulated but it's the same area that the driver hears the engine note come up through the car.
Wo wo wo there! Let's ease up on the Acura PR there! j/k
Old 05-25-2010 | 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by smarty666
Well if Acura's and Lexus's all have rattle troubles, exactly what luxury automaker doesn't? I mean, everyone seems to have troubles so what exactly are we suppose to shop and get so we don't have troubles? BMW? Audi? Infiniti?, etc? who then, who?
I don't think that there is any auto maker that has 100% success rate of any and all models in their line up when it comes to rattles. This is common sense. The problem with Lexus is that the severity of rattles especially the GS model is ridiculous. I mean 90% of the members on the lexus board complain of rattles. Here on the TL board, not so much. You can see this if you search the problem and fix sections for rattles. Do the same at Club Lexus and you will see what I mean. Glaring and obvious difference between the two.

I will say this about my now 2 month old 535ix, its the most solid and rattle free car I have owned but the jury is still out being its just a baby at this point.
Old 05-25-2010 | 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kingofire
I don't think that there is any auto maker that has 100% success rate of any and all models in their line up when it comes to rattles. This is common sense. The problem with Lexus is that the severity of rattles especially the GS model is ridiculous. I mean 90% of the members on the lexus board complain of rattles. Here on the TL board, not so much. You can see this if you search the problem and fix sections for rattles. Do the same at Club Lexus and you will see what I mean. Glaring and obvious difference between the two.

I will say this about my now 2 month old 535ix, its the most solid and rattle free car I have owned but the jury is still out being its just a baby at this point.
Your absolutely right about the rattle issue. I was never trying to make it out that it was a Acura specific issue. For instance, I have had four different 2009 and 2010 TSX loaner cars and not one of them made any rattle noises/sounds the entire 2-3 days I had each of them. Two of them had over 40k miles!

I can't speak for all Infiniti's obviously but I'm still amazed to this day with my FX35. I have had it for 6 years now and it has the most harsh/jarring/firm ride that I have ever had in a automobile (it almost rides like a jeep at times) yet till this day there has not been 1 rattle or squeak that has come from my FX ever! I am so suprised because I would have expected rattles and squeaks to develop over time because of the jarring/harsh nature of the ride/suspension that would have loosen up interior panels, etc that would make noises but none as of yet! Go figure???

Last edited by smarty666; 05-25-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2010 | 12:27 AM
Banned

btw guys, i'm adding fuel to the fire.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Books_LS_Autos

For the 2011 Odyssey: "The new version will have a six-speed automatic transmission rather than a five-speed"

how the F can the odyssey have a 6 speed auto but 4 of the 6 acuras still not have it?
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
btw guys, i'm adding fuel to the fire.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Books_LS_Autos

For the 2011 Odyssey: "The new version will have a six-speed automatic transmission rather than a five-speed"

how the F can the odyssey have a 6 speed auto but 4 of the 6 acuras still not have it?
Wait for the 2011 - they put the 6 speed auto in the ZDX with the same engine as the TL, it's likely they'll move that to the 2011 TL to keep up with the competition.
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:51 AM
Banned

I sure hope so. I can't just sell/trade and take the loss for the 6spd auto, i hope acura significantly revamps the TL for 2011/2012 so i have more of a reason to buy it. Otherwise i may jump ship when the new models from other manufacturers come out. Growing tired of acuras "compromised luxury" approach to making their vehicles.