2010 TL SH TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 TL SH TPMS Question

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2010 TL SH AWD W/TEC PACKAGE and everything was good with the tpms system.. I changed out the stock tires with the snows mounted on rims with no problems through the winter.. My troubles began when I went back to the summer tires. The right front would not read,, it just displayed a - on the display for the right front. It started to work a couple of times, and the next day it stopped working again. I had it checked by a local tire shop, and they said that all of the batteries tested good. They reset the system and the right front would still not read. Shortly after none of the tires would give a pressure. I am assuming at this point it went into total fault due to the right front not reading. I returned to the tire shop, and they tested it with a different scan tool that gave actual battery percentages. The right front tested the highest, and the rest were on the low side. I had them replace all four sensors and they again reset the system. On my way home the right front was still not reading. I traveled about 60 miles, and at about 15 miles it was not giving me any of the pressures again. I believe that the problem is the right front initiator. I would to swap the 2 front initiators and see if the problems moves with the initiator that is currently on the right front. My problem is, I can't find the front initiator, or any detailed information of its location. I suspect that it is located under the inner plastic fender liner. Could someone please offer some advice that might help me out with this. I am getting a little tired of the flashing orange lights on the dash. I talked to the local Acura dealer, and I fear that I am looking at a $500 to $1000 service charge if I drop it off to them. They wanted about $200 for each tire just to change out the tpms sensors. Thank you in advance for any information.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts
Yeah, if your TPMS batteries are still good, and the sensors themselves seem to be functioning, swapping the initiators seems like a good thing to try first. And you're right, they're under the fender liners behind the tires. Here are pics from the service manual explaining the locations and procedure. Seems like a pretty straightforward operation.

Also, it sounds like you may not have the service manual, and if not: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmhmpo...TL_SM.pdf/file here you go. If you're already mechanically inclined enough to troubleshoot and swap TPMS initiators yourself, this'll help a lot lol.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank Riboflavin! That is very helpful information. I will dig into it and see if I can't get it fixed.