2010 TL SH-AWD Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 TL SH-AWD Oil Consumption

So I've been reading various posts on people having problems with their TLs consuming too much oil but none seemed to really relate to mine to a T.

So the other morning I'm driving on the highway from getting off of a night shift and I'm accelerating until a car cuts me off in my lane so I slow down. The car gets back over and I attempt accelerate hard and my car sort of nose dives and my Check Emissions System light comes on along with my SH-AWD indicator. I'm no longer in AWD and I felt as though my car lost power. About a mile down the road my I get a check oil notification on my nav screen. I check my oil life and it says I'm on 40% oil life. Once I get off the highway I turn my car off and back on, my SH-AWD light goes off and I'm back to having AWD but the Check Emissions system is still on.

Later that day I checked my oil and barely any oil was on the dipstick, so I added 3 quarts of 5W-20 full synthetic Mobil 1. Still no change after driving my car the whole weekend. I still feel as though I lost power and I haven't had the chance to get a scanner hooked up at Auto Zone to see if it could be anything else.

I've questioned the service guy at the dealership months ago about my car seeming to burn a lot of oil and getting check oil notifications around 30%-40% oil life and he said that it was normal. I didn't think that was very normal as it didn't happened when I purchased the car CPO in 2013. Car had 31K miles on it and now I have 88K (I know I drive a lot lol ). I would say this starting happening a lot in the past year.

Any recommendations?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
You added 3 quarts and the oil was visible on the dipstick? Sounds like you added way too much...

40% indicator doesn't mean much if you are low on oil, AFAIK it doesn't check your oil level at all, it's simply a calculation on when the oil should be changed.

Maybe you should have the Check Emissions System light checked out before you do anything else?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
"Any recommendations?"

First of all, I'd check to make sure you didn't overfill your car with too much oil.

Once that's remedied, keep an eye on the oil level. Make sure NOT to overfill, as you could suffer a catastrophic failure.

Lastly, and maybe I'm wrong here, but try to stay below 4,700 RPM's.

Oh, how about driving the car like you want it to last? Nah, just keep it floored. I mean, it's your daily transportation, right, why make it last?

All teasing aside, good luck!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
As others have said, the car only holds 4.5 quarts when doing a oil and filter change. My guess is it overfilled. But I don't think oil level is your issue. Get it to a shop and have them pull the codes it threw.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
You added 3 quarts and the oil was visible on the dipstick? Sounds like you added way too much...

40% indicator doesn't mean much if you are low on oil, AFAIK it doesn't check your oil level at all, it's simply a calculation on when the oil should be changed.

Maybe you should have the Check Emissions System light checked out before you do anything else?
Oh no. No oil was visible on the dipstick before I added the 3 quarters. Going to get the emission system error checked today.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Beak14
"Any recommendations?"

First of all, I'd check to make sure you didn't overfill your car with too much oil.

Once that's remedied, keep an eye on the oil level. Make sure NOT to overfill, as you could suffer a catastrophic failure.

Lastly, and maybe I'm wrong here, but try to stay below 4,700 RPM's.

Oh, how about driving the car like you want it to last? Nah, just keep it floored. I mean, it's your daily transportation, right, why make it last?

All teasing aside, good luck!
No oil was visible on the dipstick before I added the 3 quarts, so it's definitely not over filled. And I don't drive the car balls to wall all the time, just getting off the road before all the morning rush hour traffic after working a 12 hour shift overnight. Last thing I want to is to be stuck in traffic and fall asleep .
Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Isn't the oil pressure sensor or some other related sensor a known issue on our vehicles? Another member posted recently that he is on his second one.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mossman77
Isn't the oil pressure sensor or some other related sensor a known issue on our vehicles? Another member posted recently that he is on his second one.
You know now that you mention that, a couple months back this happened before and and I got a notification on my in-dash and the code on the scanner registered to that sensor you're talking about. Dealer said they checked and tested it and it passed. So maybe it finally went bad?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
If the oil level gets really low (and 3 quarts is really low) systems will start to shut down in the motor. For one, oil pressure is used to operate the VTEC system. When the oil is too low, the engine will not rev past about 2000-2500 rpm and will throw codes/warnings. Good luck and watch that oil level more closely.