2010 TL AWD 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Talk is talk, and action is action.

I picked up my new Mayan Bronze MT last night, and naturally it drizzled all the way home. Will post pics after I get a chance to Dawn/Clay/PC/Z5/Z5/Z5/Z2/Z2 it. Probably need to change my screen name as it no longer applies. More to follow.

Gone (221108 miles)
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S

I picked up my new Mayan Bronze MT last night, and naturally it drizzled all the way home. Will post pics after I get a chance to Dawn/Clay/PC/Z5/Z5/Z5/Z2/Z2 it. Probably need to change my screen name as it no longer applies. More to follow.

Gone (221108 miles)
Excellent choice. Congratz! Post pics when you can.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
Will post pics after I get a chance to Dawn/Clay/PC/Z5/Z5/Z5/Z2/Z2 it.
Dawn?! You better not be talking about the dish detergent... You should never use that on a car.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Dawn dish detergent is exactly what to use prior to the Zaino system
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter

Gone (221108 miles)
The purpose of using Dawn soap is to remove any remaining carnauba wax before applying Zaino (or any wax/sealant). However, since you're going to clay and polish, there's no need to use Dawn since claying and polishing will remove any wax or sealant. Dawn is a strong soap/degreaser and will accelerate the drying out of your rubber and plastic trim. I've been using Zaino and other sealants for over 10 years and don't use Dawn anymore because of this drawback.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Just wondering....why would the Zaino mfg's recommend using Dawn before applying their products if it is so harmful?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I highly recommend Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear to remove old waxes, sealants and glazes. If you use the right dilution (2oz per gallon), you can clean the paint to prepare for a full detail without harming the trim or damaging the paint. I put this stuff in my foam gun and let it sit on the paint for a few minutes and it does an amazing job.

The simple act of claying and polishing won't necessarily remove any old protection on the paint, if any sealant or wax is leftover, the polishing pad can skip and hop or cause other issues with the polish breakdown process.

I know many guys that have used Dawn before to strip the paint (it does that job well), I've never trusted it with the trim and rubber seals, always worried that it would dry it out, and require an additional step of protectant on them...
Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is it to keep the Mayan Bronze clean compared to a black car?
I swore to myself that I'll never buy another black car after owning my Corvette.
They look gorgeous when clean, but boy are they impossible to keep clean. Plus it shows every single scratches and spider web swirls and what not.

I personally think the Mayan Bronze is a gorgeous color but since it's also a darker color, I'm guessing it shows dirt almost as much as black, am I correct?
Palladium Silver was very nice in person, that'd be my first choice.

Dan
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
I highly recommend Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear to remove old waxes, sealants and glazes. If you use the right dilution (2oz per gallon), you can clean the paint to prepare for a full detail without harming the trim or damaging the paint. I put this stuff in my foam gun and let it sit on the paint for a few minutes and it does an amazing job.

The simple act of claying and polishing won't necessarily remove any old protection on the paint, if any sealant or wax is leftover, the polishing pad can skip and hop or cause other issues with the polish breakdown process.

I know many guys that have used Dawn before to strip the paint (it does that job well), I've never trusted it with the trim and rubber seals, always worried that it would dry it out, and require an additional step of protectant on them...

Amen brother! This guy knows what he is talking about!!

Foam gun FTW! Dish soap FTMFS!!! (S = sink)

Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
Dawn dish detergent is exactly what to use prior to the Zaino system
Exactly ... and as was cited below your post, it is what Sal recommends prior to claying etc. This has always been a hotly debated topic, but as long as you're not using Dawn for each/every wash, the once-per-season Dawn to prepare your car for the next seasons applications of Zaino is not only highly recommended, but very beneficial.

Originally Posted by nearwater4me
How hard is it to keep the Mayan Bronze clean compared to a black car?
I swore to myself that I'll never buy another black car after owning my Corvette.
They look gorgeous when clean, but boy are they impossible to keep clean. Plus it shows every single scratches and spider web swirls and what not.

I personally think the Mayan Bronze is a gorgeous color but since it's also a darker color, I'm guessing it shows dirt almost as much as black, am I correct?
Palladium Silver was very nice in person, that'd be my first choice.

Dan
I'm inclined to believe that the Mayan is going to be pretty close to the Blacks as far as everything you've said ... especially since this is going to be my DD (and it does snow here in PA). I have never owned a black car because of what you stated, but to get into the 6-speed, I had only 4 choices ... and since I've owned a Silver Volvo, don't want a Black car for a DD, and White is not a car color (to me anyway), the Mayan was the winner by default. Besides ... it looks great parked next to my Crystal Red Metallic Vette.

Last edited by Six Shifter; 11-02-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
UA-6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got a new color. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hotxboytl
That's cool, what kind of deal did you get?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by hotxboytl
Are you sure you got the TL? It's not a TSX?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

I just bought one today and I love it. I had a 2006 MT but traded it for an 09 TL Auto. I was immediately disappointed with my decision- not because it was a bad car, but because I missed the MT. So, I traded my 09 with 5,000 miles for a 10 TL with MT.

The 2010 MT is a GREAT car. I love it. It's as fast as I could ever possibly need to go, and it's smooth. So fun to drive.

Great car. Pics to follow!

Ben
Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BWSmith201
I just bought one today and I love it. I had a 2006 MT but traded it for an 09 TL Auto. I was immediately disappointed with my decision- not because it was a bad car, but because I missed the MT. So, I traded my 09 with 5,000 miles for a 10 TL with MT.

The 2010 MT is a GREAT car. I love it. It's as fast as I could ever possibly need to go, and it's smooth. So fun to drive.

Great car. Pics to follow!

Ben
Congratz! The 2010 MT is an awesome car.

I was in a similar trade-in situation. I traded in a 2009 Lexus IS 250 AWD with 4,000+ miles because of the serious unbearable lack of discomfort and pain it caused me. Just too dam small of a car.

You won't regret it, although the 09 TL auto and the IS are worlds apart.

You live life once. Enjoy it!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BWSmith and docboy, you guys traded in cars with 4k-5k miles on them???? Did you take a bath on this swap? Wouldn't you lose a ton of money? Just curious.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

They did mine even, actually... it wasn't upside down.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

WOW! You mean they gave you back what you paid for as credit for the '10 MT? You must have a good dealer!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
BWSmith and docboy, you guys traded in cars with 4k-5k miles on them???? Did you take a bath on this swap? Wouldn't you lose a ton of money? Just curious.
Yes, I did take a hit on the swap. I will never buy Lexus again. I was so pissed off with the car, and Lexus had absolutely pathetic and unsympathetic customer service. The so called "great customer service" Lexus was known for was completely nonexistent. Both of the dealers here are sharks and nothing more than a pretty devil's face to lure you in. Of course, hindset is always 20/20.

Each day with the IS was torture, so I took the financial hit and trade it in. One of the local Acura dealerships gave me the highest trade in offer, and I was so impressed with the 2010 TL MT test drive and the dealership, I took the plunge.

Life is just too short to be miserable. I'll make the money back, and life can go on. But daily misery is intolerable, and if all it takes is money to rid of anger and pain, so be it.

Everyday in the TL is a joy to drive. I have not regretted my decision. I looked at all the competition out there and then some (335xi, 535xi, A4, A6, G37x, WRX, Legacy, MB, etc). The 6MT TL simply won them in all in terms of overall comfort, performance, and reliability.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
Life is just too short to be miserable. I'll make the money back, and life can go on. But daily misery is intolerable, and if all it takes is money to rid of anger and pain, so be it.
Amen.

Dan
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Ain't that the truth! (nearwater posted at the same time!)
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Everyday in the TL is a joy to drive. I have not regretted my decision. I looked at all the competition out there and then some (335xi, 535xi, A4, A6, G37x, WRX, Legacy, MB, etc). The 6MT TL simply won them in all in terms of overall comfort, performance, and reliability.
How would you compare the 6MT TL to 335i(w/ manual trans), G37(w/ manual)?
I drove a 330i auto and the new G35 sedan auto, and both of em seemed somewhat faster(not that it matters that much, but still..) than the '10 TL SH-AWD w/ 6MT.
I just want to know I'm looking at the right vehicle.
I love just about everything about the TL, but not quite sure if I'd be happy in the long run with the power.
Would you kindly give your honest opinion?

Dan
Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me
How would you compare the 6MT TL to 335i(w/ manual trans), G37(w/ manual)?
I drove a 330i auto and the new G35 sedan auto, and both of em seemed somewhat faster(not that it matters that much, but still..) than the '10 TL SH-AWD w/ 6MT.
I just want to know I'm looking at the right vehicle.
I love just about everything about the TL, but not quite sure if I'd be happy in the long run with the power.
Would you kindly give your honest opinion?

Dan
Sure, no problemo. Bear in mind, all of the following is IMHO, based on my personal experience and research, and my :

In terms of pure power and acceleration, I would rank:

335i (manual) > 6 MT TL > G37 (manual) > 335xi (manual) => G37x > TL auto > 328i > 328xi

The 335 has a very nice engine and sweet twin turbo. But turbo engines are more troublesome in terms of repair. If you frequent the Bimmer forums, there many pissed off people having to repeatedly fix their fuel pumps. I didn't want to deal with repairs and maintenance issues all the time, esp when I have a family.

I was really shopping the AWD version of these cars due to the nasty weather here in the Northwest. I wanted a car that I could drive year round with confidence, and tackle the unpaved snowy back roads here.

The xi versions really tackles on additional weight, and doesn't seem to improve performance like the TL does. Forget about the 328xi; a Civic LX could outrun it.

The G37 manual is nice, but I hated the clutch. I couldn't get it to drive smoothly, seemed to have a mind of its own. G37x had plenty of power as well and nice 7spd auto that's easier to drive, but the auto transmission just killed any fun and power to the wheels.

After the disastrous and poor interior of the IS, comfort was a top priority for me. I really valued the TL's size and roominess, considering I have a small child and wife. The TL's cabin and comfort is very nice. The 3 series had tight rear quarters, the front was okay. The G's interior is just narrow and cramped, similar to the IS. I could not get comfy in it all, not matter how hard I tried.

Overall the 6MT TL's performance and transmission are world class, IMHO. I have noticed that as my TL is getting more "broken into" it's getting faster and smoother, as it's "loosening it up."

If you are single, don't have a child, and don't mind dealing with repairs and maintenance costs, the 335i is a great choice. If you are a small framed person, the G37 is also nice as well.

But if you are an average sized American, have a family who likes to be comfy in a spacious cabin, value your time, and appreciate historic Acura and Honda reliability, the 6MT TL wins hands down. IMHO.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Sure, no problemo. Bear in mind, all of the following is IMHO, based on my personal experience and research, and my :

In terms of pure power and acceleration, I would rank:

335i (manual) > 6 MT TL > G37 (manual) > 335xi (manual) => G37x > TL auto > 328i > 328xi

The 335 has a very nice engine and sweet twin turbo. But turbo engines are more troublesome in terms of repair. If you frequent the Bimmer forums, there many pissed off people having to repeatedly fix their fuel pumps. I didn't want to deal with repairs and maintenance issues all the time, esp when I have a family.

I was really shopping the AWD version of these cars due to the nasty weather here in the Northwest. I wanted a car that I could drive year round with confidence, and tackle the unpaved snowy back roads here.

The xi versions really tackles on additional weight, and doesn't seem to improve performance like the TL does. Forget about the 328xi; a Civic LX could outrun it.

The G37 manual is nice, but I hated the clutch. I couldn't get it to drive smoothly, seemed to have a mind of its own. G37x had plenty of power as well and nice 7spd auto that's easier to drive, but the auto transmission just killed any fun and power to the wheels.

After the disastrous and poor interior of the IS, comfort was a top priority for me. I really valued the TL's size and roominess, considering I have a small child and wife. The TL's cabin and comfort is very nice. The 3 series had tight rear quarters, the front was okay. The G's interior is just narrow and cramped, similar to the IS. I could not get comfy in it all, not matter how hard I tried.

Overall the 6MT TL's performance and transmission are world class, IMHO. I have noticed that as my TL is getting more "broken into" it's getting faster and smoother, as it's "loosening it up."

If you are single, don't have a child, and don't mind dealing with repairs and maintenance costs, the 335i is a great choice. If you are a small framed person, the G37 is also nice as well.

But if you are an average sized American, have a family who likes to be comfy in a spacious cabin, value your time, and appreciate historic Acura and Honda reliability, the 6MT TL wins hands down. IMHO.
I really appreciate your detailed review.
It's like I've test driven all these cars just by reading it.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the 335i would be much faster in straight line.
To me that would be a big plus but like you said, the interior is very small.
When you sit comfortably in the front, back seats are close to those of a coupe.
And when you start to look into 535i, the price difference kicks in as a huge factor.
I probably like the exact same things about TL as you do. Roomy, VERY NICE interior, awesome sound system, etc.
Although the TL was somewhat underpowered, it handled great for a big sedan.
It'll most likely become my next whip.
Oh, and I know exactly when you're talking about snowy conditions. Gotta love Michigan...

Dan
Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It is too often compared to the smaller entry cars because of price when in fact it much more like the other mid level luxury sedans, except in cost. Naturally the smaller 335 sedan and coupe will be a little faster but the xi model sedan is barely any quicker and if you really want to be fair to the TL you compare it to the 535xi and other mid level cars which are also slower than their entry counterparts. When you do that the TL is right in line with all of those cars performance levels.

Because the TL is so cost effective people mistakenly directly compare it with the bench marks of the entry level luxury cars and feel it's too big and maybe a little slow especially in auto for that segment and that is why it gets a lot of crap. In fact it should be viewed as an affordable mid level luxury car at the cost of an entry. In that perspective it is golden but viewed the other way around it just doesn't fit in.

I think Acura should stop protecting what's left of the RL and begin marketing the TL this way with magazine comparos to follow and we will see just how fast the "beak" becomes irrelevant when it performs as well if not better than those cars for $20k less on top of having superior resale, safety, and reliability.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
It is too often compared to the smaller entry cars because of price when in fact it much more like the other mid level luxury sedans, except in cost. Naturally the smaller 335 sedan and coupe will be a little faster but the xi model sedan is barely any quicker and if you really want to be fair to the TL you compare it to the 535xi and other mid level cars which are also slower than their entry counterparts. When you do that the TL is right in line with all of those cars performance levels.

Because the TL is so cost effective people mistakenly directly compare it with the bench marks of the entry level luxury cars and feel it's too big and maybe a little slow especially in auto for that segment and that is why it gets a lot of crap. In fact it should be viewed as an affordable mid level luxury car at the cost of an entry. In that perspective it is golden but viewed the other way around it just doesn't fit in.

I think Acura should stop protecting what's left of the RL and begin marketing the TL this way with magazine comparos to follow and we will see just how fast the "beak" becomes irrelevant when it performs as well if not better than those cars for $20k less on top of having superior resale, safety, and reliability.
Hahaha! If your plan succeed, we have a problem though. The world will implode since most people buying german luxury cars care at least a little bit about prestige...