2010 6MT market price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 6MT market price?

Hello folks,
I think I've fallen in love with the 4G TL now.
I LOVED the 3G that I tried twice to trade in my VW for one, didn't happen though.

At first, I absolutely HATED the 4G, but now that I see more on the road, it has really grown on me.
Besides, all the tech stuff in the car is really attractive.
I'm a hardcore manual transmission fan, and it'll be the only way I'd buy a TL.
I'm aware that the 6MT models are rare, but I've seen people paying close to invoice for one.
My guess is dealer would try to nickel and dime me for it being "rare".
I've seen one member here that paid $37k!! (according to his post)

When did the MY10 come out?
I think it's a little too new to shoot for invoice or below.
What prices are you guys paying for the manual TLs?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Dan
Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't believe that $37k was for real based on the frequency that member got an new car, 3 4G's in a year. $37 and change was getting done on the late 09 models with the $2k dealer cash incentive from Acura. The best price I have seen on the board is $500 over invoice. Most of the better quotes I have received are between $800-$15k over. I think anything between invoice and $1k over is the best that is going to get done until there are any incentives available, which may not be made available on the 6MT.

Essentially that's the same price one would be paying for an auto, at the end of the day if they sell the auto at that price or the 6MT they make the same money. Some dealers want to protect their profits on this car way more than another model but there is always a few who are willing to let it go for what it really is, the same TL with a manual transmission and if they want to stay competitive, as things are tough enough as it is, they will not try this for very much longer. Even at that most dealers who hold as close to MSRP as possible are willing to compensate in other areas, especially trade in, so in most cases you can get the same amount of savings one way or another.

In the past week I have been to more dealers and have seen more 4G TL's up close and personal then I have in the past year. Before this I thought I had mixed feelings with regards to the grill and maybe the overall looks but there is no chance. The car is absolutely gorgeous when you get accustomed to seeing it in person and any mixed feelings I had came from one dimensional photos from spending too much time on this forum instead of out there checking it out in person.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
In the past week I have been to more dealers and have seen more 4G TL's up close and personal then I have in the past year. Before this I thought I had mixed feelings with regards to the grill and maybe the overall looks but there is no chance. The car is absolutely gorgeous when you get accustomed to seeing it in person and any mixed feelings I had came from one dimensional photos from spending too much time on this forum instead of out there checking it out in person.
Great! I love 4 G in black, dark grey and white. The black especially, when well cleaned and waxed, looks stunning and very classy. Frankly, I have to inferiority complex when I park near a MB or BMW... (except if its an M3 or E Coupe, but then winter will show so they'll go hide in their garage for a few months).
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
don't believe that $37k was for real based on the frequency that member got an new car, 3 4G's in a year. $37 and change was getting done on the late 09 models with the $2k dealer cash incentive from Acura. The best price I have seen on the board is $500 over invoice. Most of the better quotes I have received are between $800-$15k over. I think anything between invoice and $1k over is the best that is going to get done until there are any incentives available, which may not be made available on the 6MT.

Essentially that's the same price one would be paying for an auto, at the end of the day if they sell the auto at that price or the 6MT they make the same money. Some dealers want to protect their profits on this car way more than another model but there is always a few who are willing to let it go for what it really is, the same TL with a manual transmission and if they want to stay competitive, as things are tough enough as it is, they will not try this for very much longer. Even at that most dealers who hold as close to MSRP as possible are willing to compensate in other areas, especially trade in, so in most cases you can get the same amount of savings one way or another.

Agreed. I think if you're willing to do your homework and are willing to walk away from the deal, you should be able to negotiate a decent price. It might take some time and finding the right dealer, but the savings can be well worth it.

It worked for me and I ended up at $500 over invoice. It might have helped that the "better half" got tired and went and sat in the car ready to leave. They came right back and OK'd the deal, I guess to make sure she didn't drag me out of the dealership before buying the car.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are just not enough 6MTs available right now. I am in the dc metro area and they had to order one from DE to get the one I wanted. They had talked to the dealer in DE and went ahead and did a swap even before I purchased it. I ended up not purchasing that night. They did not seem to mind because they knew once a 6MT hits the lot it will quickly be sold. The moment it did come in they had 2 other very interested buyers who were coming in Saturday to drive and potentially drive it. I came in friday and beat them too it. Once you drive that thing you are definitely buying it. They ended up taking 2k off the price and I got 1500 more on my trade then what KBB had. 37k might be for a 5AT and that is 2k under invoice wow. will be quiet some time before 6MT are sold for that much unless you are in a more rural area

Last edited by gulu100; 10-29-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't believe that $37k was for real based on the frequency that member got an new car, 3 4G's in a year. $37 and change was getting done on the late 09 models with the $2k dealer cash incentive from Acura.
Yea, I think we definitively proved that guy being full of Sh*t paying $37 for a 2010 6-speed... But I think everyone else here agrees on the same lines, that if you can get it for around $1,000 over invoice you've done pretty well. Under $1,000 over invoice and that's one good deal. I think it will totally depend on how much the dealer wants to deal on the "rare" car, how many they have, how many they expect to get, if you're trading in or not, the alignment of saturn and venus, etc...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the kind replies.
Now I know what price range I should shoot for.
I haven't even test drove one yet, and frankly, I'm afraid to.
I think I might end up buying one if I do.
I'm in metro Detroit area and I don't know what the demands are for an Acura with manual transmission.
If they give me good money on my Vette, I might pull the trigger. We'll see.

Thanks again, folks.

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced

I got mine for $1900 under MSRP, I don't think it's price gauging but I wouldn't never even pay MSRP for a car, I would just wait. Paying $1900 under was even a stretch for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced

When I was looking to buy the car they gave me 2k off instantly and gave much higher price for my trade in so I thought it was a good deal for a rare car. They told me that the other 2 MTs they sold went for msrp and 500 off msrp.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gulu100
When I was looking to buy the car they gave me 2k off instantly and gave much higher price for my trade in so I thought it was a good deal for a rare car. They told me that the other 2 MTs they sold went for msrp and 500 off msrp.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Did you take it?
Where are you located?

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Yes I took it there were 2 others very interested in the vehicle as well. Located in Northern Virginia Area.

Originally Posted by nearwater4me
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Did you take it?
Where are you located?

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Well, looks like I'll be driving my Vette for a while.

Just came back from a local dealer after test driving an '10 TL SH-AWD w/ 6MT.
Gorgeous car inside and out, except for that front grill.
LOVED the tech stuff, especially the ELS with the HDD.
Sound system was as good as, if not better than, my aftermarket system in my Vette, and I have some decent speakers and amp in it.
Gearbox was precise and smooth, although it didn't give me much feedback on how it's moving. (Obviously, since it's a FWD with transmission not directly under the shifter).
One thing I found quite awkward, or different should I say?, was the gas pedal. I'm not used to the pedal that anchors from the floor.

One thing I wasn't too impressed was the power. I know it can't be compared to a big V8, but I was expecting a little more from the 3.7L i-VTEC.
Suspension was just perfect for my liking. Not too stiff while transmitting enough feedback, not too mushy while absorbing enough road vibration. Perfect.
Steering wheel was thick and nice, giving me the sporty feeling of the TL.

Overall, I LOVED it. Only thing was the trade-in value they gave me.
They were trying to give me $8k below KBB value of my car.
I know the KBB could be a little off, but wow, 8k? No thanks.

Didn't even bother to negotiate the price of the TL.
Had to walk away.
Maybe when the market is better, I'll give it another shot.
Thanks again guys for all your help.

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced

This is exactly the kind of input i needed. I am also a strictly standard tranny driver, and while more financially limited in younger years had to mod with Eibach/Billstein/Brembo combos 2 of my cars. I have driven Vettes ( and a Dodge Viper) and i know exactly what you mean when you describe the suspension. RWD is nerve wrecking for me, i am a little bit crazy behind the wheel

Your report confirms that the 6MT will be on my shopping list neck in neck with the 2011 SAAB 9-5 (the squeezed out turbos don't come at launch), and Audi S4/RS4. This a great time for the 6MT AWD enthusiasts.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

Well - I got the dealer down 3K from MSRP on a Manual or Automatic AWD - didnt matter to them.... didnt get enough for my trade...so couldnt pull the string. At least not yet..

Mark
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kandiru
This is exactly the kind of input i needed. I am also a strictly standard tranny driver, and while more financially limited in younger years had to mod with Eibach/Billstein/Brembo combos 2 of my cars. I have driven Vettes ( and a Dodge Viper) and i know exactly what you mean when you describe the suspension. RWD is nerve wrecking for me, i am a little bit crazy behind the wheel

Your report confirms that the 6MT will be on my shopping list neck in neck with the 2011 SAAB 9-5 (the squeezed out turbos don't come at launch), and Audi S4/RS4. This a great time for the 6MT AWD enthusiasts.
While RWD is fun, it's definitely not safe. Especially in slippery road conditions.
My Vette fish tails under heavy acceleration even in light rain.
If you're not going to burn out and do some crazy stuff, AWD is the way to go IMO.
Don't get your hopes too high on the 2011 9-5 though. It's the Epsilon platform just like the 2010 LaCrosse and I don't think they'll offer manual transmission on those. Funny thing is though, the 3.6 DI engine from the 2010 LaCrosse FELT faster than the 3.7 i-VTEC in the TL SH-AWD.

Dan