2010 6 Speed TL for $30,998 (Brown/Umber)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 AM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2010 6 Speed TL for $30,998 (Brown/Umber)

The link is:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

This vehicle suffered hail damage and is discounted $5,000. It has 6,000 miles and is at Harper Acura.

I think with cash in hand, the dealer will let it go for $29,000.

If you have access to a good body shop, the damage might not be that bad at all.

I came very close to doing a deal on this car but I have opted to wait another year or two before pulling the trigger on a TL-SH 6 speed manual.

The 6 speed AWD TL will by next car.

My only conflict is not wanting to part with my CLS6 and the wife will probably hurt me if I keep 2 manual transmission cars....

I think the current TL (09-12) is a gorgeous peice of machinery (inside and outside) in 09-11 and 2012 versions.

Regards,
Suspekt
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
has the hail damage been repaired or are they selling it as is?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
take it from me, if MBM is like BRP, it is a VERY hard color to match. Not to mention that you will not be able to remove hail damage from aluminum (hood). (How can this be CPO with hail damage?)

Last edited by Mr Marco; 05-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
your going to spend around 3-5k (depending on what color you want. and if its a full body color change) to paint the car.

also as what Marco said.. its a very hard color to match.

to me, dont cheap out, spend the extra money to get a better car.

if your planning to buy then you should go with nothing but the best..
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by potmilkz
your going to spend around 3-5k (depending on what color you want. and if its a full body color change) to paint the car.

also as what Marco said.. its a very hard color to match.

to me, dont cheap out, spend the extra money to get a better car.

if your planning to buy then you should go with nothing but the best..
Couple of additional points:

- I only mentioned this listing in case members of this community felt it carried trade-offs they were able to live with. Truth is, this car is mechanically perfect, and depending on ones situation, body work could be available at a deep discount. Further, the extent of the hail damage has not been seen and may in fact not be that bad.

- I personally would prefer to purchase the vehicle used, and yes, pay the right dollars for the best condition unit. My aim is to purchase the model in 2012 when the 2010 is 2 years old with anywhere from 10,000-30,000 miles.

I think this car could be the right car for the right circumstance.

Thanks all and looking forward to joining the 6 speed AWD fraternity.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I hear ya, it's too damn hard to part with the CL, I can't bring myself to do it...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Only my sometimes not-so-humble opinion

In my opinion a 2-year-old "TL" (regardless of mileage) with unrepaired hail damage, has incurred "diminished value" and is not worth anywhere near $29,000 "as-is", even if it is SH/AWD with MT. The seller is betting heavily that some young kid is going to come in with his (or his dad's) wallet in his teeth and bend over. This is an insurance deal that likely came from an auction somewhere.

Considering the almost impossibility of matching the paint, this car arguablly has close to $10,000 worth of damage to it. Stay focused! With the 2012s already in the showroom, this car is now 2 years old & before long will have only half of it's original warranty remaining.

The ad is an I.Q. test. Anyone who buys it, flunks the test.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 05-26-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
In my opinion a 2-year-old "TL" (regardless of mileage) with unrepaired hail damage, has incurred "diminished value" and is not worth anywhere near $29,000 "as-is", even if it is SH/AWD with MT. The seller is betting heavily that some young kid is going to come in with his (or his dad's) wallet in his teeth and bend over. This is an insurance deal that likely came from an auction somewhere.

Considering the almost impossibility of matching the paint, this car arguablly has close to $10,000 worth of damage to it. Stay focused! With the 2012s already in the showroom, this car is now 2 years old & before long will have only half of it's original warranty remaining.

The ad is an I.Q. test. Anyone who buys it, flunks the test.
No argument here on your perspective. I would rather buy the best condition unit I can find and pay the right money.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by suspekt360
No argument here on your perspective. I would rather buy the best condition unit I can find and pay the right money.

well this is not the best condition unit and your not going to pay the right amount of money.

the car is damaged.... if there are dents in each panel of the car, your looking into some serious cash to get those fixed.

29k is a joke for this car with hail damage. you can find a perfectly good one for about 32k with no issues..

the only thing good about this car that i can see is the color combination.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
CLS^6

This post was for the community to see. If I had an interest in it, I would have bought it already.

Regards
Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by suspekt360
This post was for the community to see. If I had an interest in it, I would have bought it already.

Regards

I came very close to doing a deal on this car but I have opted to wait another year or two before pulling the trigger on a TL-SH 6 speed manual.
you did have interest.. thus we are responding..just giving my opinion just like everyone else on this thread.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hail damage

If hail damaged this vehicle, then surely the whole lot of uncovered vehicles would have incurred the same fate.

"Hail damage" is an old trick dealers use because hail is known to cause damage and for some reason, mother nature inflicted damage doesn't scare people as much as human error.

This was human error. Perhaps damaged in transit. Maybe damaged in the preparation bay. My guess this was a dealer-driven vehicle (6,000 miles) and the manager got in some accident or mishap.

And although I think Mayan Bronze is killer, hail just happened to damage one of the toughest colors to sell in a difficult to move 6-speed tranny. In Knoxville, Tennessee.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am kind of interested in this car, but only for the right price. I would think it would have to be around $25k, but who knows if the dealer would let it go for that. At that price, I feel that if I had to do a full paint job it would still be less than its value.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2010 SH-AWD 6MT in perfect condition with 10 months on it traded in at about $28K last August. These puppies depreciate off-the-lot like no Hondas or Acuras ever before - they really don't hold initial value. Maybe the five-year depreciation won't be so bad, but initial is dreadful. And even new the 2010 SH-AWD was selling locally for $37,999 by April 2010; they lost over $4K on the lots. So I'd be surprised if a 2010 non-SH-AWD in great condition was worth $30K.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
My 2010 SH-AWD 6MT in perfect condition with 10 months on it traded in at about $28K last August. These puppies depreciate off-the-lot like no Hondas or Acuras ever before - they really don't hold initial value. Maybe the five-year depreciation won't be so bad, but initial is dreadful. And even new the 2010 SH-AWD was selling locally for $37,999 by April 2010; they lost over $4K on the lots. So I'd be surprised if a 2010 non-SH-AWD in great condition was worth $30K.
You just got a bad deal. lol And you think you're a litmus test for America? You must've been leaking "Audi" desire from every pore. Salesmen smelled you coming. Don't try to project your reality and experience on the community. Also, used cars are worth much more now than when you took your huge loss.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Instead of guessing or relying on a single item of information point from someone who wanted to drop his car like a hot potato, it would probably help to look at some real world data. Here are the Edmunds values for a 10K miles, 2010 SH-AWD 6MT in the midwest:

Trade in: 35,500; Private sell: 37,700; Dealer retail: 39,400.

Unless the market is radically different on the west coast, TC's speculation as to resale numbers does not resemble the market data. (BTW, according to these figures, my car has lost about $400 of its value from what I paid for it about 15 months ago. I like the looks of that depreciation schedule!)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Instead of guessing or relying on a single item of information point from someone who wanted to drop his car like a hot potato, it would probably help to look at some real world data. Here are the Edmunds values for a 10K miles, 2010 SH-AWD 6MT in the midwest:

Trade in: 35,500; Private sell: 37,700; Dealer retail: 39,400.

Unless the market is radically different on the west coast, TC's speculation as to resale numbers does not resemble the market data. (BTW, according to these figures, my car has lost about $400 of its value from what I paid for it about 15 months ago. I like the looks of that depreciation schedule!)
Wow I don't know how reliable those numbers are. I just purchased my 12 awd w/tech 6 sod brand new for $41K. I would think it would be worth around $33-35K in excellent shape. Can't comment on value with hail damage without seeing the extent of the damage
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I had a big detailed post all written up but it's too much. All I will say is I paid $37,800 for my car and recently had someone offer me $35k for it and it's not even for sale. I have had it for a year and a half and it is a two year old model and that's post MMC nontheless. Granted, it's immaculate and has exceptionally low mileage but even good condition with normal mileage at $35k "list" and $33k "sold" (or less) it's still as good as most other brand and models one year depreciation.

It's unfortunate but buying early or not as discounted generally means you subject yourself to adiditional depreciation, that goes for trading it in less than a year old where there usually are no established "values" to go off of. Under those conditions it's hard to tell the difference between what's acceptable or not and often times the figure is rather meaningless when a new car is involved in the deal as well because they are based off each other. A "quote" or what is received or given in trade doesn't necessarily mean it's a reflection of actual resale value range.

Not sure how relative it is but missing in TC's post was that his bumper had been repainted, it had excessive mileage for a 10 month old car, and as much as it is deemed an improvement, a painted grill or portion of the grill, is additional depreciation even if it ends up being beneficial to the stealer. It's hard to establish these types of things, it's sometimes best viewed simply on a case by case basis.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I had a big detailed post all written up but it's too much. All I will say is I paid $37,800 for my car and recently had someone offer me $35k for it and it's not even for sale. I have had it for a year and a half and it is a two year old model and that's post MMC nontheless. Granted, it's immaculate and has exceptionally low mileage but even good condition with normal mileage at $35k "list" and $33k "sold" (or less) it's still as good as most other brand and models one year depreciation.

It's unfortunate but buying early or not as discounted generally means you subject yourself to adiditional depreciation, that goes for trading it in less than a year old where there usually are no established "values" to go off of. Under those conditions it's hard to tell the difference between what's acceptable or not and often times the figure is rather meaningless when a new car is involved in the deal as well because they are based off each other. A "quote" or what is received or given in trade doesn't necessarily mean it's a reflection of actual resale value range.

Not sure how relative it is but missing in TC's post was that his bumper had been repainted, it had excessive mileage for a 10 month old car, and as much as it is deemed an improvement, a painted grill or portion of the grill, is additional depreciation even if it ends up being beneficial to the stealer. It's hard to establish these types of things, it's sometimes best viewed simply on a case by case basis.
Thanks for that missing info. TC's is without a doubt trolling and fear mongering. Why else would he pull up and old little viewed thread and post what he posted?

In addition, I guess that many people don't understand that I bought the car because I like it. And there are other people that like it. The subtext of TC's post (and others) is that people are less savvy and evolved than they are and are stupid to like what they like and that they are settling for less. In fact that's the subtext of anybody who attacks the 2009-2011 TL. That they are some how morally, economically, and aesthetically superior.

Here is the take away, people usually try to hurt, disturb, or tear down others, because they don't feel so good about themselves.