2009 Acura TL vs. Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
wasn't this moved from the main TL forum? perhaps they can't find their way over here. And discover the wonder world of Rambling
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,583 Posts
A couple did...the quickly hurried back out of the sunlight.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
i notice that within the last <5 months there have been many people with under 250 posts that make very very strong ignorant statements. thank god they dont stay in the main forums for very long
I've noticed the same thing, jsut didn't say anything about it.

It almost made me want to believe it was a bunch of people that were possibly hired by Acura to tout the Acura TL to promote it on the boards or just to get peoples impressions of it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I've noticed the same thing, jsut didn't say anything about it.

It almost made me want to believe it was a bunch of people that were possibly hired by Acura to tout the Acura TL to promote it on the boards or just to get peoples impressions of it.

It makes sense with all the 09 TL vs threads.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:32 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
I saw a couple of Hyundai Genesis on the road already. Looks good. As well, the advancements with the Hyundai Genesis will spawn a TL fighter one day. Hyundai Genesis is too big to compete with TL.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black Tire
I saw a couple of Hyundai Genesis on the road already. Looks good. As well, the advancements with the Hyundai Genesis will spawn a TL fighter one day. Hyundai Genesis is too big to compete with TL.
Hate to tell you but the TL is less than an inch shorter and narrower than the Genesis! The new TL bulked up!

09 TL____________Length 195.5" Width 74.0" Weight 3699
09 Genesis________Length 195.9" Width 74.4" Weight 3748
08 G35 Journey____Length 187.0" Width 69.8" Weight 3508

While their styling and ride are for different targets, they are comparably sized and featured. The G35 would be the more sporty targeted ride.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:28 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I hate when TL threads get moved to cartalk and I have to read TL noobs saying stuff like "its just a Hyundai"....
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Hey look!!!!! Another TL thread....

Cartalk has seen better days
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
1) Anyone who starts a 09 TL vs XXXX Thread should be subjected to a 3 day temp ban

2) All the noobs who pop in and make idiotic replies such as "uh, its hydunai, eww" should be subjected to a 2 temp ban...and should ONLY allowed to post in the TL forum for life.
Its like the recent noob influx of late has been of the shittiest caliber.
Originally Posted by dom
The ignorance is strong with this thread.
Originally Posted by nokiaman
Apparently not all elitists drive bimmers....
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
The ignorance is strong with this one, indeed...
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
i notice that within the last <5 months there have been many people with under 250 posts that make very very strong ignorant statements. thank god they dont stay in the main forums for very long

Have you noticed since we all chimed in they disappeared...they are scared to venture out of the cave...and I like that.
Originally Posted by phile
wasn't this moved from the main TL forum? perhaps they can't find their way over here. And discover the wonder world of Rambling

multi-quote ftw.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This thread sucks.

That is all.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Its like the recent noob influx of late has been of the shittiest caliber.

I can't get over the influx of noobs who can't stop sucking on Acura's di*k.

Seriously, I peeked into the 4g TL forum and all I saw was "OMG THE 4G TL IS THE SEXIEST CAR ON THE ROAD" before I punched my fist through my 24 inch monitor.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon

I can't get over the influx of noobs who can't stop sucking on Acura's di*k.

Seriously, I peeked into the 4g TL forum and all I saw was "OMG THE 4G TL IS THE SEXIEST CAR ON THE ROAD" before I punched my fist through my 24 inch monitor.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
it all comes down to who makes a better car and Acura better get that V6 tranny issue fixed...........Hyundai does not seem to have that problem with their 5spd autos.................
Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm still prejudice and I still feel there is a stigma about Hyundai's that I just can't get over but it's hard to ignore a car that handles better then a 2008 BMW 5 series and Porsche. I don't know how true all that really is but that's what they are claiming......

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/perfor...#/performance/
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Please let this thread die. Quickly and painfully. tired of all these stillborn 4G TL threads being moved to car talk

All I ever hear in the 4G TL forum is "it looks better in person, you'll like it over time," etc.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i could care less what someone else thought of the vehicle......... er i wouldn't be caught dead again in a red monte carlo as a rental.

a couple things with hyundai;

resale, most likely it is going to be poor
reliability, i assume that this is their 1st v8 so reliability is untested, but i guess that is what the warranty is for. As long as it's the 100,000 mile one.

Those 2 things are what i look for in a car mainly.
As long as i like the styling and don't have to make excuses on why i drive a hyundai or whatever i am driving.

Unless whomever is making the comments wants to pay for the car, then i don't care
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
^^^^

I would like to see stats for a couple of years before I spend a fair amount of cash on a car.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Racer

Surprised that no one has commented on the fact that Hyundai has been stealing most of the top (or near the top) spots in J.D. Powers these days. Their reliability, fit and finish, customer satisfaction and problems per 100 cars has even surpased Lexus in a number of categories recently.

Keep in mind, Lexus was a total unknown (even though it was owned by Toyota) in 1989 when they started to sell a LS400 for the upper $30's. Their German competitors (S-class and 7-series) were selling in the upper $50's at the time. The German car companies didn't take Lexus seriously either. Oops...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM

I saw a Hyundai Genesis in person the other day, it looked pretty damn good, and while I do know that its dimensions are around the same as the 7/S class, it looked bigger than I thought it would. I liked the rear in the pictures, but not so much in person. All in the perspective/angle I guess.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ it's not that big. It's more like the Maxima in size rather than an S-Class (which we only get in long wheelbase form).

I immediately noticed that because I remember Hyundai bragging about it being bigger than the German luxo-barges, but they were obviously talking about the short-wheelbase models cause when I saw it in person, it wasn't as big as expected. Big car no doubt. But not that big.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
the genesis looks a lot better
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
The Designer

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
uh HYUNDAI???

you are kidding right??
What do you think you are driving, a Ferrari? You are driving an Acura for christ's sake, it's not that above a Hyundai as much as you'd like to think so. Sorry to burst some bubbles in here.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
1) Anyone who starts a 09 TL vs XXXX Thread should be subjected to a 3 day temp ban

2) All the noobs who pop in and make idiotic replies such as "uh, its hydunai, eww" should be subjected to a 2 temp ban...and should ONLY allowed to post in the TL forum for life.
big fucking
Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
T-Swzy

eh what i wanna know is, any aftermarket support? which car do you guys see having more, the TL or the genesis? i'm young and wreckless, when i buy a car i dont want it stock. i wanna tune that muffuker.

but then again, that's really a moot point since i'm wreckless i'm not gonna buy something that luxurious. and since i'm young i couldnt afford it even if i wanted to
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Surprised that no one has commented on the fact that Hyundai has been stealing most of the top (or near the top) spots in J.D. Powers these days. Their reliability, fit and finish, customer satisfaction and problems per 100 cars has even surpased Lexus in a number of categories recently.

Keep in mind, Lexus was a total unknown (even though it was owned by Toyota) in 1989 when they started to sell a LS400 for the upper $30's. Their German competitors (S-class and 7-series) were selling in the upper $50's at the time. The German car companies didn't take Lexus seriously either. Oops...
That's because most people have their head so far stuck up Acura's rectum, it's hard to see or hear anything else.

My father just picked up a V6 Genesis with the Tech Package and it is one impressive car. I love my TL and have been an avid Honda/Acura fan forever, but the Genesis definitely delivers. Ride quality is outstanding and the car is extremely quiet. I love the navigation system which is very intuitive and fast. For anyone to try to talk down the audio system is either deaf or again, one of those people who fall into the category I mentioned in my first sentence. The interior has a very open design with tons of room in both the front and back. Every feature you could possibly want is there except for maybe a portable coffee maker in the glove compartment. There's much more to be said about the car but I think my point is clear.

The only people really bad mouthing it are your typical close minded folks who would worship a hairy turd if Honda ever produced one. Every review I've came across on the Genesis has been positive so far.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
What do you think you are driving, a Ferrari? You are driving an Acura for christ's sake, it's not that above a Hyundai as much as you'd like to think so. Sorry to burst some bubbles in here.
lol that's so true..........
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

ILL COMMENT, NOOB OR NOT THE CAR IS STILL A Hyundai, basically go drive an Elantra, your not pimping, if you want a big body go get the s550 like a baller, or just chill and be happy you got a TL with rims and a couple of parts cuz plenty of America is hurting right now while we ride crispy. Im not a message board fan nor do i sit online ill day but i thought id drop that on you fellas
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bsenz25
ILL COMMENT, NOOB OR NOT THE CAR IS STILL A Hyundai, basically go drive an Elantra, your not pimping, if you want a big body go get the s550 like a baller, or just chill and be happy you got a TL with rims and a couple of parts cuz plenty of America is hurting right now while we ride crispy. Im not a message board fan nor do i sit online ill day but i thought id drop that on you fellas
Nice job, you just farted in a lion's face. Unfortunately for you the cage door is open.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^lol
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

who is this lion?
and i didnt fart i shitted cuz its the truth
Old 10-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The Genesis is definitely better looking than the new TL.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
The Genesis is definitely better looking than the new TL.
Not to me it doesn't. Hyundai may have taken the safer route by copying the Lexus, BMW and Infiniti, but it's still boring to me.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bsenz25

Look I agree it is aHyundai and that will be part of their problem, BUT the TL is an Accord, Honda just decidied to invest in a different name plate for the US market, I mean look at the TSX and RL overseas;

TSX = European Accord
RL = Honda Legend

So do we feel ripped off becasue we pay a few thousand nore for what is 90% the same car?

Hyundai decdied to pass the savings of starting up a name plate onto to the consumer with a cheaper car. Mazda almost spun off a new line but realized they were late to the party, but they did market the Milenia under the Mazda name plate anyway. In the end who knows if Hyundai will win on this bet, but their effort is a good one and while I LOVE my 08 Type-S the Hyundai feels much better put together, tighter panel gaps, better panel alignment and the interior seems more solid. If you're buying a car becasue of penis envy then by all means spend you $$$ on the NAME plate, but some people want value in the purchase and Hyundai is offering value without the prestige of a name plate. The point here is everyone has their opinion and likes and dislikes, while we may not agree with their taste or opinions we shoudl not be putting them down.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
No we're driving a Honda. In every measurable index Honda > Hyundai. That means better reliability, resale, pedigree, and prestige. Honda products rank in the top when it comes to quality. Acura doesn't have the blue blood like the Germans or Lexus but it's definitely a respected car. Hyundai isn't just there yet.

----------------
Listening to: Goldfrapp - Number 1
via FoxyTunes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I've got a female friend seriously considering a Genesis. In fact, we just got back from test driving the new TL. I loved it, though she thought it was a little too sporty for her.

She thinks the Genesis is more luxurious. She's a bit turned-off by the fake aluminum trim in the TL. One thing that would kill a Genesis for her though, is that the V-6's with an black interior have a swath of brown vinyl across the dash. Supposedly the V-8's don't, but none of the area dealers have a V-8, and Hyundai customer service can't confirm.

Personally, the choice is a no brainer, but it's not my $40k being plunked down. Don't worry, I'm "lobbying" for the TL.
Tell your woman friend that buying the Genesis based on her impression of luxury is like buying a knock off Gucci bag that simply has the logo pattern. If she can't tell the difference between the two, she's only looking to be perceived as someone who owns a luxury car, but in no way is.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Look I agree it is aHyundai and that will be part of their problem, BUT the TL is an Accord, Honda just decidied to invest in a different name plate for the US market, I mean look at the TSX and RL overseas;

TSX = European Accord
RL = Honda Legend

So do we feel ripped off becasue we pay a few thousand nore for what is 90% the same car?

Hyundai decdied to pass the savings of starting up a name plate onto to the consumer with a cheaper car. Mazda almost spun off a new line but realized they were late to the party, but they did market the Milenia under the Mazda name plate anyway. In the end who knows if Hyundai will win on this bet, but their effort is a good one and while I LOVE my 08 Type-S the Hyundai feels much better put together, tighter panel gaps, better panel alignment and the interior seems more solid. If you're buying a car becasue of penis envy then by all means spend you $$$ on the NAME plate, but some people want value in the purchase and Hyundai is offering value without the prestige of a name plate. The point here is everyone has their opinion and likes and dislikes, while we may not agree with their taste or opinions we shoudl not be putting them down.
You're mistaken.
TSX= European/JPN Accord
RL = Eur/JPN Accord
04-current Accord = JPN Inspire
pre-2004 TL = JPN Inspire
09 TL = new platform exclusive to 09 TL
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I don;t want to invoke a another flaming spat, but I test drove a Genesis V6 Tech today for the third time and I will say I truly enjoy that car way better than a 4G TL. The 4G TL has a few tings on the Genesis, such as seat comfort, better handling, etc and some of the TL materials inside a better, but the fit and finish, styling inside and out to me are way more appealing. Their Navi screen is as big and clear as the 4G, but a few inches closer and does not have that angled plastic in front of it that can glare at certain light angles. The Lexicon sound system far better than the ELS, deeper richer cleaner through the entire spectrum! Sure the TL is a Honda and will probably retain resale far better and be more reliable, but not everyone is concerned about those things, I am sure the Genesis will be far more reliable than many of the competetors (can you say Audi).
Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
For my next car I am not looking at the 4G. No way in hell.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiTL
You're mistaken.
TSX= European/JPN Accord
RL = Eur/JPN Accord
04-current Accord = JPN Inspire
pre-2004 TL = JPN Inspire
09 TL = new platform exclusive to 09 TL
Actually, KeithL was completely correct. The TSX is essentially the JDM/Euro Accord, and the RL is the Honda Legend (it is not the JDM Accord, which is a lot smaller).

The new TL does not have an "exclusive platform" as it is derived from the USDM Accord.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Racer

I don;t want to invoke a another flaming spat, but I test drove a Genesis V6 Tech today for the third time and I will say I truly enjoy that car way better than a 4G TL. The 4G TL has a few tings on the Genesis, such as seat comfort, better handling, etc and some of the TL materials inside a better, but the fit and finish, styling inside and out to me are way more appealing. Their Navi screen is as big and clear as the 4G, but a few inches closer and does not have that angled plastic in front of it that can glare at certain light angles. The Lexicon sound system far better than the ELS, deeper richer cleaner through the entire spectrum! Sure the TL is a Honda and will probably retain resale far better and be more reliable, but not everyone is concerned about those things, I am sure the Genesis will be far more reliable than many of the competetors (can you say Audi).
Keith, do you like the Genesis more than your TL-S?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cecilt
Keith, do you like the Genesis more than your TL-S?

In some areas yes, build quality, interior and technology are better, but in the end the Type-S is an awesome machine and rides great. I am used to the stiffer ride now after a year of Type-S, so going softer may be an issue, I suspect I woudl get used to it, but for now I'm hanging on to the Type-S. It's funny becasue 3 times I almost swapped into a G35, but the Type-S ride brought me back every time!! What annoys me with the TL is a few minor things that grate on me every day, the damn fading dash issue, after 5 years they just never bothered to change the material or vendor to fix it and it is annoying. Next woudl be interior fit/finsh, the squeaks and rattles. This Type-S is far from the worst of the TL's I have owned, but the back deck still buzzes and they have worked on it, the B pillar has some annoying squeak and the head liner make creaky noises every so often. I guess if I had not owned 5 and seen the same issues over and over I might say well it happens with any car. But clearly you read Acura and Honda forums and Honda is no stranger to interior issues.

Now if I didn't own a Type-S and owned an 07/08 base TL the move woudl be easier, the Hyundai ride is not that far off from a base TL and the tech and fit and finish are really great, they do need like a Sport model Genesis with more supportive seats and slightly stiffer handling and I would be there in a minute.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In some areas yes, build quality, interior and technology are better, but in the end the Type-S is an awesome machine and rides great. I am used to the stiffer ride now after a year of Type-S, so going softer may be an issue, I suspect I woudl get used to it, but for now I'm hanging on to the Type-S. It's funny becasue 3 times I almost swapped into a G35, but the Type-S ride brought me back every time!! What annoys me with the TL is a few minor things that grate on me every day, the damn fading dash issue, after 5 years they just never bothered to change the material or vendor to fix it and it is annoying. Next woudl be interior fit/finsh, the squeaks and rattles. This Type-S is far from the worst of the TL's I have owned, but the back deck still buzzes and they have worked on it, the B pillar has some annoying squeak and the head liner make creaky noises every so often. I guess if I had not owned 5 and seen the same issues over and over I might say well it happens with any car. But clearly you read Acura and Honda forums and Honda is no stranger to interior issues.

Now if I didn't own a Type-S and owned an 07/08 base TL the move woudl be easier, the Hyundai ride is not that far off from a base TL and the tech and fit and finish are really great, they do need like a Sport model Genesis with more supportive seats and slightly stiffer handling and I would be there in a minute.

Well, the Genesis Coupe is supposed to be coming out next fall with RWD, standard stick, and 300 HP V6....so your dream car is coming soon.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL vs. Hyundai Genesis