84.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Acura TL Comercials

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 Acura TL Comercials

Here are the 3..that Are available..the first one I saw on the weather channel was the Bullet

Dive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKzkn6wHYEE
Fist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sSc5X-WLo
Bullet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josjHiJcCYA
Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Bullet.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
It's Acura's "Rocks and Trees". Bland, uninspired, instantly identifiable as a car commercial, and instantly forgettable. Acura needs a brand identity, quickly.

The message here is "power". The medium is slow motion. The message is at odds with the medium. It just gets more terrible the more I watch. This agency needs to be fired.

Here's what Acura should do: combine the message of speed and power with Darren Aronofsky-style cuts. Re-use the slow motion moment of impact idea, but cut it down to the two seconds of impact. Shoot from different angles and have multiple visual representations of the concept. We have three representations here, but they're in three separate commercials. Don't do that; make one really good commercial instead of three mediocre commercials. Mix up the formula a little by starting with the car and cutting to the other stuff. Don't be afraid to be a little jarring: car ads are a soporific throwback to an earlier school of advertising in an ADHD era.

Acura needs to establish a link between the visual identity of the product and how the viewer wants to feel about themselves. The new TL is noticeable for its sleek styling and prominent beak, so run with it. A hawk swoops down in fast motion to catch its prey; a TL driver pulls up to the front door of a powerful law firm to begin her first day as full partner. A falcon soars into the clouds; a TL SH-AWD ascends a mountain on a treacherous and twisty road.

This really isn't so hard. It's sad that so many ad agencies seem more concerned with making a visual statement than performing the best service for their clients. Acura hasn't even got that as this statement has been played out for decades.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
the commercials seem cocky to me - they are suggesting they don't need to show any kind of detail because it's an "Acura" and for that reason it's something of greatness. Maybe we know that, but I bet non-enthusiasts don't.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are annoying commercials seeing back to back because it is predictive. But Bullet all the way!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome thread man!-thx- my vote is the bullet!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Dang. Excellent Votes so far :P IM really impressed with what im reading hehe.

regards
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
It's Acura's "Rocks and Trees". Bland, uninspired, instantly identifiable as a car commercial, and instantly forgettable. Acura needs a brand identity, quickly.

The message here is "power". The medium is slow motion. The message is at odds with the medium. It just gets more terrible the more I watch. This agency needs to be fired.

Here's what Acura should do: combine the message of speed and power with Darren Aronofsky-style cuts. Re-use the slow motion moment of impact idea, but cut it down to the two seconds of impact. Shoot from different angles and have multiple visual representations of the concept. We have three representations here, but they're in three separate commercials. Don't do that; make one really good commercial instead of three mediocre commercials. Mix up the formula a little by starting with the car and cutting to the other stuff. Don't be afraid to be a little jarring: car ads are a soporific throwback to an earlier school of advertising in an ADHD era.

Acura needs to establish a link between the visual identity of the product and how the viewer wants to feel about themselves. The new TL is noticeable for its sleek styling and prominent beak, so run with it. A hawk swoops down in fast motion to catch its prey; a TL driver pulls up to the front door of a powerful law firm to begin her first day as full partner. A falcon soars into the clouds; a TL SH-AWD ascends a mountain on a treacherous and twisty road.

This really isn't so hard. It's sad that so many ad agencies seem more concerned with making a visual statement than performing the best service for their clients. Acura hasn't even got that as this statement has been played out for decades.
I think for what it's trying to achieve it's good. Those are teaser commercials to pique one's interest. Obviously they wouldn't be played in succession. I'm sure other commercials highlighting the features will come out.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Something, something, yes

I'm watching MNF and they just played the bullet commercial about 2 minutes ago... I liked it.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone else notice that in all three commercials they do not show the hideous rear end of the TL? Acura's engineering design and marketing team needs to get their head out of the sand.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I actually like the Dive one the best, followed by the bullet. I find the Dive one very upscale and stylish.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dive one was very good. It seemed almost perfect how the car came out of the water. All the other one you can tell the TL was just cropped into the vid. Anyways, after watching the videos, the TL actually looks good.... but that's at night. In motion, it looked amazing. Let's see how it looks in person...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Actually none of them do it for me, but of the 3 the bullet at least shows the car more. I know I have beena big Pro Infiniti guy lately, but I have to say Infiniti styling is more elagant to me and their advertising is a little more impressive. The car actually does no tlook half bad in the bullet one, funny they show the silver car, de-emphasises the shield grill. I actually prefer the RL or TSX commercials better, the RL commercials are more focused on the car, the TSX more appealing to your emotional side whiile still showing a lot of the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bullet! though I just saw the dive one on meh 61" TV and its pretty nice; purdy music
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
bullet ftw
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Pro

Bullet. They were advertising the crap out of the new TL lastnight.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bullet. And thank goodness they didn't mention anything about fucking steaks!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced

I like the ads:

- the slow mo and the visuals are impactful/memorable
- good brand recognition

I don't like the ads:

- poor persuasion. The ads say grace,power,precision = power. OK I'll buy that.
But it didn't say why the new TL is graceful/powerful/precise. To incorporate the supporting points, I would have gone to a 60 sec format or if they don't want to spend the media, they could cut down on some of the slow mo part of the ads and say something about the new TL having SHAWD in the bullet ad; 305HP in the fist ad; "keen edge styling" for the grace ad. They probably have followup ads to do that but I would have liked to have at least some initial supporting blurb in this batch of ads.

- so-so model registration. I think they needed to play up the fact that this is a new TL more in the ads. People might think these ads are for a new RL or something.

Overall, I like them. I wouldn't fire the agency. It's a good start.

Besides, I like Steve Jobs. I was wondering why he hasn't been seen lately for Apple.

He's been working on a followup for his 1984 Mac ad campaign!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickinvestor
I like the ads:

- the slow mo and the visuals are impactful/memorable
- good brand recognition

I don't like the ads:

- poor persuasion. The ads say grace,power,precision = power. OK I'll buy that.
But it didn't say why the new TL is graceful/powerful/precise. To incorporate the supporting points, I would have gone to a 60 sec format or if they don't want to spend the media, they could cut down on some of the slow mo part of the ads and say something about the new TL having SHAWD in the bullet ad; 305HP in the fist ad; "keen edge styling" for the grace ad. They probably have followup ads to do that but I would have liked to have at least some initial supporting blurb in this batch of ads.

- so-so model registration. I think they needed to play up the fact that this is a new TL more in the ads. People might think these ads are for a new RL or something.

Overall, I like them. I wouldn't fire the agency. It's a good start.

Besides, I like Steve Jobs. I was wondering why he hasn't been seen lately for Apple.

He's been working on a followup for his 1984 Mac ad campaign!

I think these are teaser commercials.. i'm sure when they hit full launch w/ the TL we'll get commercials with more details; 305 hp, awd, advanced navigation yadda yadda
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Instructor

The side images are interesting.....

Anyone else notice that in all three commercials they do not show the hideous rear end of the TL? Acura's engineering design and marketing team needs to get their head out of the sand.
Haha yah I notice that good. If this was the first time I saw the TL...I would be fucking amazed...just picture it without the back.....
Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gtinmia
Doesn't matter because they DID show the hideous front and grille
Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I liked the ads. They catch your attention and that's whats important. Sounds like James Spader continues as VO talent. I liked Dive because of the way the camera moved from the top view of the car to the front view. Bullet was also good for the profile to front move.

For those that comment on their feelings on the styling of the car, why not post those in the dozens of threads about styling. Isn't this thread for ad discussion?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtinmia
Anyone else notice that in all three commercials they do not show the hideous rear end of the TL?
Not only did they not show the big rear end of the TL in the ads, the beak does not look all that large either.

If I didn't know better, just looking at the ads I would have thought the grill lines up nicely with the headlights.

Thanks to strategic placements of lights/shadows/angles, these ads accentuate the positives (profile) and minimize the negatives (big beak, big rear).

Good ads!

Last edited by maverickinvestor; 09-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
GREAT ads. They definitely catch your attention. They also make the car look good in those ads.

I liked all of them.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Cruisin'

Any chance to upload them to youtube? I am from Europe and I'd like to watch them. Someone helps?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

OMG :-(( They are at the bottom of the page.. Sorry guys! Didn't notice them.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB00
I think for what it's trying to achieve it's good. Those are teaser commercials to pique one's interest. Obviously they wouldn't be played in succession. I'm sure other commercials highlighting the features will come out.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. There's only one chance to make a good first impression (by definition!)

For really good advertising in this segment, check out the launch ads for the new CTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIredVXj25g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVz5y5UePA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEw1rsBUak

People are still quoting that last one - "when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"

Cadillac made a really smart decision in hiring Modernista. Maybe Acura needs to spend the money to lure them away...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Racer

And where the heck is that TL driving anyway? It's an ad from a dystopian future where there are no street lamps and all the buildings are burnt out perfectly cubical husks, but we're all driving super powerful Super Handling luxury sedans.

Yeesh.

For what it's worth I really liked the TSX Connect commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Eh7vt0BeM

It tells a story about the product and its owner. Unfortunately it's a bit too long for normal network TV, but if you cut it down by a few seconds you could fit it in one of the short gaps in Fox's new "remote free" programs (like Fringe).
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Clemson Tiger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that bullet and dive are both good teaser commercials. Its good that they're getting people excited for the car so that when it comes out more people will say "hey thats the most powerful acura yet from the bullet commercial"

But, I hope the actual commercials are more like the tsx/rl as some stated above. I personally really like the tsx ads
Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. There's only one chance to make a good first impression (by definition!)

For really good advertising in this segment, check out the launch ads for the new CTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIredVXj25g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVz5y5UePA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEw1rsBUak

People are still quoting that last one - "when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"

Cadillac made a really smart decision in hiring Modernista. Maybe Acura needs to spend the money to lure them away...

Yeah I do rememebr that last one still. The TL ads show the car for less than 10 seconds of a 30 sec commerical, they don't really say much other than most powerful Acura ever. They remind me of simialr to the Infiniti launch commercials where you never saw the car and were trying to wonder what they were trying to get you to buy. At least Acura breifly shows the car.