Has anybody had Acura buy your car back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anybody had Acura buy your car back?

I've had a horrible experience with my 2022 MDX and Acura Client Relations. It's on another thread but the short version is the car has been in the shop for over 4 months and I had to file a lemon law case to get Acura's attention and agree to buy my car back.

First of all, Acura's client relations seems to not want to send emails, I guess so the customer has nothing in writing. If I send an email to my case manager he calls back to tell me he received. I was told that the process would take over a month before we meet at the dealer to sign papers and get my check. I asked how much the check would be and he said that would come later. I asked if Acura would send me a letter at least saying that they have agreed to buy my car back and I got a vague answer about waiting for the process to complete, so I guess I'm expected to sit on my hands for 1 to 2 months and take it on faith that it will happen and that I'll agree with the buy-back amount.

Has anybody on this forum had the please of going through this process and could you please recount how it went for you? Acura just seems to be slow and non-communicative. The only thing that got them this far is my threat to push the lemon law to the next phase, state arbitration where they would most likely lose.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
MIght be time to get a lemon law lawyer to make sure they don't take advantage after this whole debacle. Having your car out of service for nearly 4-months is insane. I'd want full refund of purchase price, taxes, fees, etc plus money spend on rentals, lawyers, and dealing with this mess.

Honda/Acura usually has you bring the car to a dealer, they inspect the car and deduct $ for defects such as curbed wheels, mileage, etc. Then they cut you a final check.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-MDX (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure where you're located as it's not shown on your profile or signature. I cannot comment on your state specific Lemon Laws without knowledge thereof, but in my state with proper notification to the manufacturer and follow-through, a buyback would have long been mandated given the failure to resolve your issues and your accumulated time without your vehicle.

I'm not going to offer legal advice for a situation and/or jurisdiction I don't know the facts and laws of, but I would imagine that by simply contacting an attorney in your jurisdiction with the facts as you present them, that you would see immediate action. My .02.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (01-13-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Lemon law filing gets Acura's attention

I'm in Georgia, and the law is clear that anything over 30 days is a valid LL case. And the law says the manufacturer has 20 calendar days to respond with an offer after which you can file for state-sponsered arbitration. At about 30 days I threatened to do that and they responded quickly, saying they were going to buy my car back, but I've still not received an actual offer with the amount of the check they'll write and the details. In Georgia they are responsible for the purchase price, taxes, registration and interest paid on the loan. They cannot charge you for alternate transportation (IE, a loner car or rental car) but can charge you for usage of the care before the shop had it, based on a mileage formula. I'm supposed to get the offer this week and I'll report how it went.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vichardy
I'm in Georgia, and the law is clear that anything over 30 days is a valid LL case. And the law says the manufacturer has 20 calendar days to respond with an offer after which you can file for state-sponsered arbitration. At about 30 days I threatened to do that and they responded quickly, saying they were going to buy my car back, but I've still not received an actual offer with the amount of the check they'll write and the details. In Georgia they are responsible for the purchase price, taxes, registration and interest paid on the loan. They cannot charge you for alternate transportation (IE, a loner car or rental car) but can charge you for usage of the care before the shop had it, based on a mileage formula. I'm supposed to get the offer this week and I'll report how it went.
That’s not the most encouraging of consumer protection laws. Is there a mandatory arbitration clause in your purchase contract, or is that just Georgia Lemon Law?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:26 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vichardy
I've had a horrible experience with my 2022 MDX and Acura Client Relations. It's on another thread but the short version is the car has been in the shop for over 4 months and I had to file a lemon law case to get Acura's attention and agree to buy my car back.

First of all, Acura's client relations seems to not want to send emails, I guess so the customer has nothing in writing. If I send an email to my case manager he calls back to tell me he received. I was told that the process would take over a month before we meet at the dealer to sign papers and get my check. I asked how much the check would be and he said that would come later. I asked if Acura would send me a letter at least saying that they have agreed to buy my car back and I got a vague answer about waiting for the process to complete, so I guess I'm expected to sit on my hands for 1 to 2 months and take it on faith that it will happen and that I'll agree with the buy-back amount.

Has anybody on this forum had the please of going through this process and could you please recount how it went for you? Acura just seems to be slow and non-communicative. The only thing that got them this far is my threat to push the lemon law to the next phase, state arbitration where they would most likely lose.
Take a look at this thread. I believe the owner of this MDX finally had Acura take it back.

https://www.mdxers.org/threads/2022-...issues.176347/