Wireless Charger Does Not Charge Phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wireless Charger Does Not Charge Phone

So... picked up my Liquid Carbon + Tech SH-AWD today and notice an issue charging ,my iPhone 12 Pro Max. FYI, this phone is the biggest iPhone currently available.

Placed it on the charging pad and nothing! Tried a few smaller iPhones and android phone, and wireless charging works. To me it sees the phone and the charger sweet spots do not align. To get it to work, I have to place in on the pad. UPSIDE DOWN. Meaning face up as expected, but with the base of the phone towards the front of the car.

So if anyone else having wireless charging issues with larger phones, try that simple "hack". Enjoy!

Conrad

Last edited by radicalrad; 02-26-2021 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typs
Old 02-27-2021, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi, i didn't have that issue with my iPhone 12, but i have a question regarding those two tiny leds on the pad, one flashes amber and another flashes green, Is that supposed to do while charging? thx.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

Do you see the lightening bolt on your battery icon to indicate that the phone is charging?

For me, when the phone (and its the Max Pro so possible bigger than yours) is right side up, it charges for a few seconds the stops. I see the bold for a few seconds then it goes away, and the Green and Amber LEDs start to bling.

When it's upside down, the bolt stays, it also shows charging on the infotainment display, and the green and amber LEDs are solid.

From Acura Website...
  • When the phone is placed on the Wireless Charger, a green light on the left side of the pad turns on to indicate charging. Depending on the phone model, the light will turn off or blink when charging is complete.
Conrad

Last edited by radicalrad; 02-27-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
The charging pad has been a known issue for the '19 RDX and '21 TLX so not surprised the MDX has a similar issue. Most issues also had to do with the larger iPhone.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

For me I definitely think its my larger phone, and aligning the fields. My phone is just too big to move down to align. So flipping gives me more space to move!

The following users liked this post:
ELIN (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by radicalrad
Do you see the lightening bolt on your battery icon to indicate that the phone is charging?

For me, when the phone (and its the Max Pro so possible bigger than yours) is right side up, it charges for a few seconds the stops. I see the bold for a few seconds then it goes away, and the Green and Amber LEDs start to bling.

When it's upside down, the bolt stays, it also shows charging on the infotainment display, and the green and amber LEDs are solid.

From Acura Website...
  • When the phone is placed on the Wireless Charger, a green light on the left side of the pad turns on to indicate charging. Depending on the phone model, the light will turn off or blink when charging is complete.
Conrad
Thanks a bunch on the info. It helped.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Did Apple change the back of the iPhone 12 to include a magnet? I thought I read it was impacting pacemakers. Might this be the issue? Have you tried a large iPhone 11 to see if there is a difference?

Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KidK
Did Apple change the back of the iPhone 12 to include a magnet? I thought I read it was impacting pacemakers. Might this be the issue? Have you tried a large iPhone 11 to see if there is a difference?
I don't know much about Apple's MagSafe tech but I do know it came on iPhone 12's and newer.

I have only an issue positioning it "just right" for my iPhone XS. It doesn't have to turn around to charge.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I reached out to my dealer and they are looking into this. I read on an apple discussion that they think it does in fact have to do with the magnet on the iPhone 12's. I have the iPhone 12 Pro (not the max size) and it has been having problems charging. It charges for a few seconds and then both lights blink and I get a warning on the infotainment that says metal objects may interfere with charging. I have tried facing my phone upside down and on every part of the pad without success. My wife's older iPhone charges on the pad no problem. We will see what the dealer says.
joeliu2003 (08-15-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 01:08 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Acura is aware of this issue and it is under investigation.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...e-12-a-993051/
stinger (07-14-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I thought of upgrading from my 11 Pro Max to the 12, but will wait until this isn't an issue any more. I thought there was a problem, too, with the 11 Pro Max, but then read the manual about making sure only the amber light is lit (to indicate it's charging, which is also indicated by the lightning bolt on the battery icon in CarPlay). Prior to that, I was just placing the phone on the Qi pad every which way (not realizing it wasn't charging and wondering later on why my battery level was so low).

Now that I know how to place the phone properly (basically centered over the signal icon in the middle of the pad) and looking for that amber light, I have had absolutely no issues. Love the wireless charging (and connecting to CarPlay automatically!), making grappling around with a dagburn cable a thing of the past.
ELIN (03-30-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MDX Wireless Charging

I have a 2022 MDX. Has anyone tried the wireless charging pad with an iPhone 12? I can’t get mine to charge and I’m thinking it’s due to the MagSafe feature which I hate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rudgeman1:
daniyelliS (01-13-2022), MyNamesJeremyS (06-06-2024)
Old 05-18-2021, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Known issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...e-12-a-993051/
Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates on the iPhone 12 problem?

Does anyone know of any updates on this? I upgraded my old iPhone to a 12 model in order to use the charging pad, so it would be great if a resolution is coming. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2021, 03:01 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Sebu
Does anyone know of any updates on this? I upgraded my old iPhone to a 12 model in order to use the charging pad, so it would be great if a resolution is coming. Thanks!
I was told by Acura In-Car Technology Support (last time I asked was one day last week) that they don't know yet when an OTA update with fixes for various identified issues, including for this one, will be sent out. So, yes, a resolution is coming, but no one knows yet when.
Sebu (06-16-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard any updates on this yet? Seems months go by, and while everyone acknowledges it, nothing's been done.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:30 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Hunziker
I reached out to my dealer and they are looking into this. I read on an apple discussion that they think it does in fact have to do with the magnet on the iPhone 12's. I have the iPhone 12 Pro (not the max size) and it has been having problems charging. It charges for a few seconds and then both lights blink and I get a warning on the infotainment that says metal objects may interfere with charging. I have tried facing my phone upside down and on every part of the pad without success. My wife's older iPhone charges on the pad no problem. We will see what the dealer says.
Same exact problem here. iPhone 12 Pro - starts trying to charge and just errors out with both the amber ans green lights blinking. Disappointing.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone have an update on this? I eventually reached out to Acura's main customer service department and even they didn't say much of anything, just that they are working on it. I have owned this car for 7 months and there has been little to no communication on what the fix will be and when. The charging pad obviously isn't the most important thing about the car but I'm surprised it is taking this long to fix it when every other car seems to charge the iPhone 12 Pro no problem. I'm wondering if they are fixing this for the next year model and will release that same part for the 2022's at the same time.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andrew Hunziker
Anyone have an update on this? I eventually reached out to Acura's main customer service department and even they didn't say much of anything, just that they are working on it. I have owned this car for 7 months and there has been little to no communication on what the fix will be and when. The charging pad obviously isn't the most important thing about the car but I'm surprised it is taking this long to fix it when every other car seems to charge the iPhone 12 Pro no problem. I'm wondering if they are fixing this for the next year model and will release that same part for the 2022's at the same time.
That would be my guess. It's probably not an easy fix like updating the firmware!
Andrew Hunziker (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:57 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Hopefully the iPhone 13 will work…..but if it has the same MagSafe backing it might not.

Wasted my time at the dealer today and was shown the service bulletin - bummer.
Andrew Hunziker (08-31-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Hopefully the iPhone 13 will work…..but if it has the same MagSafe backing it might not.

Wasted my time at the dealer today and was shown the service bulletin - bummer.
As soon as someone gets the iPhone 13 Pro or better still the Pro Max please let us know if it works with the charge pad. I want to upgrade my 11 Pro Max but will wait for feedback on the 13.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:52 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by Cazman
As soon as someone gets the iPhone 13 Pro or better still the Pro Max please let us know if it works with the charge pad. I want to upgrade my 11 Pro Max but will wait for feedback on the 13.
Sure - I will test on Friday.

Not optimistic seeing the 13 has the same magnetic charging back to it.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:05 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Just an update - exact same issue with my new iPhone 13 Pro. Figured it would be but now I know for sure
ELIN (09-24-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:02 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I get Fickle service using my Google Pixel 4XL. Has to positioned just right on the Pad. Although I have not tried a different Case ( I have more than 1) , I suspect it may have something to do with that? I am currently using an OtterBox case which is more heavy duty (don't know why I got that one, but I did). It does protect breakage and at times I use a Pouch on my side attached to my belt and it fits in there pretty well. My wife's smaller Samsung 6 fits and works well on the Pad. Tghe Phones are getting too big , like walking around with small Notepads. I just saw an Ad for the return of a Flip Phone !!!! Different than the Old ones, but a Flip Phone nonetheless. Interesting how the trends , like clothing goes round N round. Pretty soon, I might start Wearing my Big Bell Bottoms that I wore as an 18 year old in 1969 !!!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:24 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Wireless Charging Pad Issues??

Is anyone having issues with the Wireless Charging pad? When I place my Google Pixel 4XL phone on the pad, it doesn't change seem to operate properly. The light goes to Amber, then back to Green? Moving the Phone doesn't seem to help or if it does start charging, it then stops. The other day I tested my wife's Samsung 6 phone and got the same results. I took the OtterBox case off my phone and got the same results , thinking it might the issue. On another Acura Blog site, some say they have issues with newer, larger iPhones (11, 12, 13) and others do not??
Old 10-11-2021, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Almatti
Is anyone having issues with the Wireless Charging pad? When I place my Google Pixel 4XL phone on the pad, it doesn't change seem to operate properly. The light goes to Amber, then back to Green? Moving the Phone doesn't seem to help or if it does start charging, it then stops. The other day I tested my wife's Samsung 6 phone and got the same results. I took the OtterBox case off my phone and got the same results , thinking it might the issue. On another Acura Blog site, some say they have issues with newer, larger iPhones (11, 12, 13) and others do not??
The charge pad works with my iPhone 11 Pro Max with a slim silicone Apple brand case but it has to be positioned as far forward as possible. I would like to upgrade the phone but the pad doesn’t work with the 12 or 13 models 😩. Honda is VERY slow to address customer concerns so don’t hold your breath for a fix anytime soon.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 13pro max, if I hold the phone in the exact spot is will charge. As soon as it slides one way or another it stops charging… need to figure out a way to hold it in the same spot. I do not use a case FYI.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose66
Now also a problem with the iPhone 13 models. We need a fix.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Resurrected Drummer

In my MDX, using a Google Pixel 4XL, it works very intermittently. Very pissed off at that bc it was a feature that was highly touted by Acura reviews. I think that if I am using Android Auto, it seems to have a worse performance. I'll test that out!! If I oplace it on the Pad with a Tilt to the right, works better.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:29 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Update to my comments... The wireless charging works intermittently still, but SEEMS better if other USB ports are not being used.
Although this question fits a different thread. I have Android Auto set up to hook up automatically, However, I am unable to disengage AA once it is connected to my 2022 MDX system. If I select the Home button , I get to the MDX system screen. But I can'y get out of AA to play my Flash Drive in the USB port . In my previous 2019 MDX - with wired AA - you simply selected the Acura Icon on the AA screen and you were disengaged form AA. However, you did not really need to do that because , you could play the internal HDD / CD player . Man, I miss that - Acura is very remiss for taking that away !!
Old 10-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Almatti
I have Android Auto set up to hook up automatically, However, I am unable to disengage AA once it is connected to my 2022 MDX system. If I select the Home button , I get to the MDX system screen. But I can'y get out of AA to play my Flash Drive in the USB port . In my previous 2019 MDX - with wired AA - you simply selected the Acura Icon on the AA screen and you were disengaged form AA. However, you did not really need to do that because , you could play the internal HDD / CD player . Man, I miss that - Acura is very remiss for taking that away !!
This has been a well known issue since February (see thread below). I know you're already in that thread but it's really for the benefit of those who have not seen it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...ilable-992695/
Old 11-03-2021, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a 2022 MDX Advance and you have to disengage apple car play or AA directly from the phone before you can use the USB flash drive. The phone cannot be connected to carplay or AA in order to use the flash drive. A real weird quirk but believe me I tried everything. They should have added a way top disengage AA or carplay from infotainment screen.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stylers
I just bought a 2022 MDX Advance and you have to disengage apple car play or AA directly from the phone before you can use the USB flash drive. The phone cannot be connected to carplay or AA in order to use the flash drive. A real weird quirk but believe me I tried everything. They should have added a way top disengage AA or carplay from infotainment screen.

i know it’s been confirmed here in this thread but my I phone 13 mini does not work on the wireless charging pad. I have a 22’ MDX tech.

So frustrating! My I phone 11 (work phone) charges great.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:19 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Mine works.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:17 AM
7th Gear

it works all the time? consistently? what model iPhone do you have? (you've got my hopes up that there might be a resolution to this problem)
Old 11-29-2021, 05:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
It will be fixed one way or another: Iphone_TSB
Old 11-29-2021, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by OAKE
it works all the time? consistently? what model iPhone do you have? (you've got my hopes up that there might be a resolution to this problem)
Yes, works all the time.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...iphone-996951/
Old 05-30-2022, 06:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdv1
It will be fixed one way or another: Iphone_TSB
As far as I can tell the only fix would be for Acura to redesign the charging pads and have the dealer install them in place of the old one. Given how long Acura has been aware of this issue I’d say a fix isn’t coming.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:03 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
As far as I can tell the only fix would be for Acura to redesign the charging pads and have the dealer install them in place of the old one. Given how long Acura has been aware of this issue I’d say a fix isn’t coming.
One fix could be to offer a charging pad that has the “MagSafe” charging within it. That way Apple users could swap out to that version. We can dream right
KrylonBlue (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
One fix could be to offer a charging pad that has the “MagSafe” charging within it. That way Apple users could swap out to that version. We can dream right
You shouldn’t even need that. I have yet to use a MagSafe charger and have had no issues at home as of yet. I don’t think the 2019 TLX was great either as I remember it would stop charging quite often.

I hope Acura does fix the issue because I’d consider another adapter. But the inability to charge while using the CarPlay takes away from the experience.

Quick Reply: Wireless Charger Does Not Charge Phone