MDX Service schedule. Where to find?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021 | 07:50 PM
Cruisin'

Question MDX Service schedule. Where to find?

Hello All,
I'm a long time MB owner, MDX brought our attention, as I like to know how much it will cost me to service this car, I'm trying to find a service schedule where I could see what needs to be done and at what mileage or year.
From I believe from 15 or 16 MB started to do
Service A - every 10K
Service B - every 20K
And list of services which needs to be done in some time frames like every 2 years for brake fluid change regardless of mileage and per mileage like spark plugs, trany flush and so on.
Is there anything like this for MDX? It should but I couldn't find it.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-14-2021 | 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

You should be able to find this info on the Acura Owners site. I believe you can get there with owner.acura.com. I don't think you need a login to get to maintenance info.
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by moose66
You should be able to find this info on the Acura Owners site. I believe you can get there with owner.acura.com. I don't think you need a login to get to maintenance info.
I was there a few times, all what I got is the User manual and navigation manual.
In the Maintenance, nothing happens when I click the button below.

The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:19 AM

I just tried as well, Acura hasn't updated their owners.acura.com site...

anyway, I can tell you from working on cars for a decade that maintenance is the art of visual intelligence.

Meaning, most of the "maintenance schedule" is visual inspections.
if you take a look at prior years, the '22 will mimic prior year "schedules"

every 6k-8k miles - Oil change with filter. and then visual inspections of the brakes, tires, suspension. etc.

every 3 years - change brake fluid.
etc. etc. etc.

brake pads and brake rotors will not have the same wear patterns as everyone drives very different. some people ride the brakes, some people like to stop abruptly.
so for braking components, there will be no set schedule....change the pads when they hit the wear indicator...the wear indicator will give off a metallic screech...."YEEEEEEEEEEEE"
same goes for tires...you look or use visual intelligence to notice the wear bars. once the wear indicators are at the same level of the tread, it's time to change tires.

spark plugs often have a very long life...not needing a change till about 100k miles.
same goes for the coil packs that sit above the spark plugs.
the car will throw a misfire code and run really rough if either spark plugs are no good or the coil packs are bad

suspension - shocks, shocks often have a very long life...however, they can come from the factory blown. so again, it's the art of really knowing your car and how it drives

this car is nothing special. after all it's a car.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-14-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
I just tried as well, Acura hasn't updated their owners.acura.com site...

anyway, I can tell you from working on cars for a decade that maintenance is the art of visual intelligence.

Meaning, most of the "maintenance schedule" is visual inspections.
if you take a look at prior years, the '22 will mimic prior year "schedules"

every 6k-8k miles - Oil change with filter. and then visual inspections of the brakes, tires, suspension. etc.

every 3 years - change brake fluid.
etc. etc. etc.

brake pads and brake rotors will not have the same wear patterns as everyone drives very different. some people ride the brakes, some people like to stop abruptly.
so for braking components, there will be no set schedule....change the pads when they hit the wear indicator...the wear indicator will give off a metallic screech...."YEEEEEEEEEEEE"
same goes for tires...you look or use visual intelligence to notice the wear bars. once the wear indicators are at the same level of the tread, it's time to change tires.

this car is nothing special. after all it's a car.
thank you for posting this.

I understand wear and tear part, what about trany and diffs oil changes, spark plugs, timing belt, they should be the most expensive. How often ?

Old 07-14-2021 | 10:38 AM

in general, one should change the fluids when they start to thin or exhibit signs of wear.

Brake fluid, we know that it's hygroscopic and needs to be changed every three years.
Tranny fluid, we know that Acura is using the 10 speed automatic transmission for the MDX. we can research and figure out what fluid acura is using. we then can look at past "schedules" and deduce from there.
in general, acura usually sets a 60k interval for tranny fluid changes...some even change at 30k mile intervals because the fluid does start to thin and one can feel the tranny slip.

spark plugs will have a very long life, about 100k miles or more.
the spark plug coil packs will again have a long life of about 100k miles, however they could die sooner.
the car will throw a check engine light and the car will run rough if one or the other fails..

diff fluid - about every 60k-90k intervals. less if the fluid is wearing or thinning.

timing belt is scheduled for 105k miles. and should include the water pump and the tensioners as well
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:45 AM

to sum it up; at every oil change, one should be looking for clues that indicate a part is wearing out or about to fail.
one could even have a maintenance schedule of every 30k miles. inspecting or looking for clues.

I like the 30k number because you will be able to spot things early on....every 60k I feel would be too long of an interval to catch certain parts from wearing out
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:51 AM

plus, the car will tell you when to go in for service.
it will beep and chime at you with the service indicator. A1 is oil and tire change.

and if you're bringing in the car to an acura dealership, they will inspect the car for you every time you bring it in for an oil change. because that's what the service entails...
inspections of components.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-14-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

in general, one should change the fluids when they start to thin or exhibit signs of wear.

Brake fluid, we know that it's hygroscopic and needs to be changed every three years.
Tranny fluid, we know that Acura is using the 10 speed automatic transmission for the MDX. we can research and figure out what fluid acura is using. we then can look at past "schedules" and deduce from there.
in general, acura usually sets a 60k interval for tranny fluid changes...some even change at 30k mile intervals because the fluid does start to thin and one can feel the tranny slip.

spark plugs will have a very long life, about 100k miles or more.
the spark plug coil packs will again have a long life of about 100k miles, however they could die sooner.
the car will throw a check engine light and the car will run rough if one or the other fails..

diff fluid - about every 60k-90k intervals. less if the fluid is wearing or thinning.

timing belt is scheduled for 105k miles. and should include the water pump and the tensioners as well
Thank you, not so much different compare to MB, except timing belt and water pump.
How much does it cost? I have friend with Audi and similar service was $2.8K.
Old 07-14-2021 | 11:40 AM

right, cars are cars. might have minor differences in mileage intervals due to German engineering vs Japanese engineering, however the concepts are the same....to catch parts from failing by having a keen eye during normal maintenance procedures.

it just depends on where you go....as you are aware, Honda is Acura's parent company and some Honda dealerships will service the car at reduced pricing.
the lowest pricing comes from independent shops. so, shop around!
Pricing for the timing belt can range from $400-1200!
Old 07-14-2021 | 11:41 AM

The '22 MDX still uses the tried and true J-series engine, which has been in production for over 2 decades.
Old 07-14-2021 | 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanD.
I was there a few times, all what I got is the User manual and navigation manual.
In the Maintenance, nothing happens when I click the button below.

Sorry, I didn't even look to see what was going on with acura.owners. When I am that exact screen, I can scroll down a bit and it tells me the info is not available for a 2022 and then provides a link to a .pdf.

A quick search on Google returned this tool. Maybe this will help.

https://www.autonationacurastevenscr...e-schedule.htm
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by moose66
Sorry, I didn't even look to see what was going on with acura.owners. When I am that exact screen, I can scroll down a bit and it tells me the info is not available for a 2022 and then provides a link to a .pdf.

A quick search on Google returned this tool. Maybe this will help.

https://www.autonationacurastevenscr...e-schedule.htm
Love this tool. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2021 | 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

The '22 MDX still uses the tried and true J-series engine, which has been in production for over 2 decades.
Does this engine still required valves adjustment every service?
I found 2016 maintenance and 16 model does, wondering if it still the case.
As I'm always change oil by myself.