Gave up on MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Gave up on MDX

Well, I had previously posted that I was trying to buy a 2022 MDX Advance but there is no inventory and prices are now MSRP or higher. It seems my local dealer is now adding this additional markup. I decided to take a look and test drive a Model Y long range and fell in love with it so decided to take a chance with Tesla and ordered one. I have to wait until early 2022 for my build. If the MDX was at normal inventory levels, I probably would have one now, but at the same time I'm expected to take the plunge with an EV. I will still have two other Acuras!
Old 10-13-2021, 06:11 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Tesla Model Y is much smaller than the MDX. It is more comparable to the Acura RDX in terms of size. Just keep that in mind that you're shpoping for an entirely diffferent class of vehicle.

Also, you're shopping wrong. Refer to the other threads. I was able to get $4.2k off MSRP when I placed an order last month for delivery this month. If you place an order now, you'll get one before 2022 which is still better than you waiting until next year for the Model Y. Others have gotten $2k-3k off.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-13-2021 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
The car market isn't going to improve until probably well into 2023. Going Tesla might be the best way to see if you can live with a BEV since they make the top EVs available. Hopefully, Acura/Honda will have a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and/or BEV that can offer some competition to Tesla in about 5-10 years. I always thought having two vehicles with one being gas (long range trips) and the other BEV (work commute/around town errands) would be a good combo to have.

I still have my 08 RDX tech w/ +190,000 miles; which, I handed down to my daughter almost 3 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in Jacksonville (10-27-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The car market isn't going to improve until probably well into 2023. Going Tesla might be the best way to see if you can live with a BEV since they make the top EVs available. Hopefully, Acura/Honda will have a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and/or BEV that can offer some competition to Tesla in about 5-10 years. I always thought having two vehicles with one being gas (long range trips) and the other BEV (work commute/around town errands) would be a good combo to have.

I still have my 08 RDX tech w/ +190,000 miles; which, I handed down to my daughter almost 3 years ago.
However, OP was shopping for a mid size suv and ended up going for a small suv. There’s a reason why OP wanted the MDX. If I were going for Tesla for the same size it would be the Model X, not Model Y which is comparable to the RDX.

OP’s reasons don’t jive with me as his reasons still puts him in the same position or worse than getting MDX. (He wanted the car ASAP but now is waiting until 2022 to receive the Tesla.)

He was saying that if the inventory levels were normal he would’ve gotten a MDX but he’s only waiting a month or two max if he ordered one. (And he can get one for a couple thousand less than MSRP.) I’ve got friends who own Teslas and they hate it because there’s no dealer around to service the vehicle for routine maintenance or if something happens.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72
Well, I had previously posted that I was trying to buy a 2022 MDX Advance but there is no inventory and prices are now MSRP or higher. It seems my local dealer is now adding this additional markup. I decided to take a look and test drive a Model Y long range and fell in love with it so decided to take a chance with Tesla and ordered one. I have to wait until early 2022 for my build. If the MDX was at normal inventory levels, I probably would have one now, but at the same time I'm expected to take the plunge with an EV. I will still have two other Acuras!
I had a 2022 MDX Advance, hated the way it shifted and sold it a week later and bought a Tesla Y. After having the Y for 3 months I put nearly 10k miles on it as it was so much fun to drive and made me feel good that I didn't use gas. BUT I sold it again (made money off the car) and bought a 2022 MDX Advance again. If you have had luxury cars in the past that ride smooth and quiet, you will not like the Y. You will think it's fine at first because of the excitement but after a few payments in a $50-60k car you will realize it's starting to feel like a $25k car, the interior is so bland, there were panel gaps and poor paint defects. No 360 camera, no apple car play (meaning you can change your playlists from the screen, you'll have to pull out your phone), the sunroof gets really hot, even after I tinted it and the ride quality is horrible (wait till you get over the wow phase) and there is a boomy/pressure noise in your ears from the hatch. There is barely any sound insulation. Also it got annoying to see that I only drove 10 minutes down the block and the percentage dropped like 5% which in my head I was constantly calculating if I had enough range to run this errand or that errand in another part of town.

Not saying the Y is a bad car, just saying if you had a MDX or other luxury brand prior, you might not like it as much. The price is all in the battery, but even then other owners say the same thing I'm about to say, the most I save was approximately $60 in gas a month vs electricity that's $4,200 over 5 years, the car costs a lot more (I had FSD too), insurance was higher and rear tires wear out much quicker so the costs of the Y would end up costing more than an ICE car.

With that being said, when the Y gets redesigned with the new batteries I'll probably get another one as I miss the instant acceleration and the full self driving feature. However when I sit in the MDX, it feels much nicer and comfier. Good luck with your Y, hope you like it as it's such a fun car.
The following 6 users liked this post by usmarinedelta:
cairo333 (10-26-2021), Gen4MDX (11-28-2021), joeliu2003 (10-13-2021), MDXAccord (10-18-2021), savvich (10-20-2021), silverTL6 (10-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35

Having an EV car as a second car is a great option, I have thought about it after owning then selling my Tesla Y. Most people go around town and the EV car saves gas, especially when you commute everyday. However in a few years, there will be so much competition, Acura is releasing one in 2024 I believe and Lexus is too around that time frame.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
Frankly I'm surprised by this post as I thought you were of "infinite patience" when it came to waiting for prices to go below MSRP (based on your prior posts).

Why the hurry all of a sudden?
Gen4MDX (10-30-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
Frankly I'm surprised by this post as I thought you were of "infinite patience" when it came to waiting for prices to go below MSRP (based on your prior posts).

Why the hurry all of a sudden?
The funny thing is, prices are ALREADY below MSRP. You just need to look a little bit more than before. There are plenty of posts on other threads regarding which dealer to go to and how to get those deals. If anything, buy it from a dealer selling it $3k below MSRP (not including incentives) and have them ship it cross country if need be. You'll still net below MSRP.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where do you all see that prices are below MSRP? Certainly not in the SF bay area. And yeah, before I looked at the Tesla I was dead set on the MDX. I didn't really need the 3 rows, but just wanted a premium SUV that wasn't German. Only when I started looking at Tesla and did a test drive did I see why people love these cars so much. The other aspect is that I think I'm a perfect candidate to own BEV as I don't drive a ton, and even on trickle charge with 120V plug, I can probably be at full charge most mornings.

As for size, even though it's smaller on the outside than the MDX, the Model Y is not that much smaller on the inside. I felt like there was plenty of space. For service, here in the SF bay area there are plenty of Tesla service centers.

That being said, I will still have two other gas cars, my 08 RDX and 16 ILX, both of which are in great shape.

mrgold35 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
I had a 2022 MDX Advance, hated the way it shifted and sold it a week later and bought a Tesla Y. After having the Y for 3 months I put nearly 10k miles on it as it was so much fun to drive and made me feel good that I didn't use gas. BUT I sold it again (made money off the car) and bought a 2022 MDX Advance again. If you have had luxury cars in the past that ride smooth and quiet, you will not like the Y. You will think it's fine at first because of the excitement but after a few payments in a $50-60k car you will realize it's starting to feel like a $25k car, the interior is so bland, there were panel gaps and poor paint defects. No 360 camera, no apple car play (meaning you can change your playlists from the screen, you'll have to pull out your phone), the sunroof gets really hot, even after I tinted it and the ride quality is horrible (wait till you get over the wow phase) and there is a boomy/pressure noise in your ears from the hatch. There is barely any sound insulation. Also it got annoying to see that I only drove 10 minutes down the block and the percentage dropped like 5% which in my head I was constantly calculating if I had enough range to run this errand or that errand in another part of town.

Not saying the Y is a bad car, just saying if you had a MDX or other luxury brand prior, you might not like it as much. The price is all in the battery, but even then other owners say the same thing I'm about to say, the most I save was approximately $60 in gas a month vs electricity that's $4,200 over 5 years, the car costs a lot more (I had FSD too), insurance was higher and rear tires wear out much quicker so the costs of the Y would end up costing more than an ICE car.

With that being said, when the Y gets redesigned with the new batteries I'll probably get another one as I miss the instant acceleration and the full self driving feature. However when I sit in the MDX, it feels much nicer and comfier. Good luck with your Y, hope you like it as it's such a fun car.
The Model Y cost $53k before TTL, for the non-performance "slow" trim. Although apparently they've raised prices by $2k across the board.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:22 AM
Pro

Where do you all see that prices are below MSRP? Certainly not in the SF bay area. And yeah, before I looked at the Tesla I was dead set on the MDX. I didn't really need the 3 rows, but just wanted a premium SUV that wasn't German. Only when I started looking at Tesla and did a test drive did I see why people love these cars so much. The other aspect is that I think I'm a perfect candidate to own BEV as I don't drive a ton, and even on trickle charge with 120V plug, I can probably be at full charge most mornings.

As for size, even though it's smaller on the outside than the MDX, the Model Y is not that much smaller on the inside. I felt like there was plenty of space. For service, here in the SF bay area there are plenty of Tesla service centers.

That being said, I will still have two other gas cars, my 08 RDX and 16 ILX, both of which are in great shape.
I got my MDX Advance (picking it up next weekend) for $4.5k below MSRP with $500 doc fee on the east coast. You can check the prices paid thread for more details. Either way, you can even ship it from a dealer here to your house and still pay less than MSRP.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I got my MDX Advance (picking it up next weekend) for $4.5k below MSRP with $500 doc fee on the east coast. You can check the prices paid thread for more details. Either way, you can even ship it from a dealer here to your house and still pay less than MSRP.
Next time I'm at my local Acura dealer for service, I'll check to see if they are still stuck on MSRP pricing. But in either case, the MDX-ship has sailed for me. Maybe it's the fact that I've owned nothing but Acuras my entire life and I'm ready for a change, or the EV power maybe just wowed me. You certainly get less features on an EV car compared to a comparably equipped ICE car. The only features I will miss from the Y that the MDX would have had are 360 camera and HUD. Also, here in SF bay area it's very easy to live with EV. There are superchargers all over, and I have a garage where I'll have a 240V plug installed for level 2 charging. Someone earlier also said that I should have bought the Model X as it's the similar size to MDX. While true, the X base price is $80k, so it's certainly not in the same price class. From the beginning, I was willing to spend about $60k for a car. So it was either MDX Advance, BMW X3 (optioned) or Model Y. All of these cars are $60k after TTL.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right. Dealerships in the SF Bay are asking 3K-6K markup for MDX.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:10 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by totoymola
You're right. Dealerships in the SF Bay are asking 3K-6K markup for MDX.
Man, what has the world become ?!

I thought only the limited availability TLX Type-S can carry the multiple thousands of $ markup.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Man, what has the world become ?!

I thought only the limited availability TLX Type-S can carry the multiple thousands of $ markup.
To be fair, I've had some dealerships do that to me too in the east coast, but obviously I wasn't going to deal with them. It was a simple okay thanks for your time without trying to negotiate. Most dealerships offer MSRP and I had two offer below MSRP- around $500-1000 below. The ones that offer higher than MSRP weren't even given a second look.

Once you're shopping, it's easy to see the games some dealerships will pull on you. Before it would be harder as there would be bait and switch involved and it's easy to get the OTD price online. Due to the pandemic, bait and switch seems to have been less dominant in my experience.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-17-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Did you look at this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...on-s-revealed/
Old 10-18-2021, 07:40 AM
Racer

Next time I'm at my local Acura dealer for service, I'll check to see if they are still stuck on MSRP pricing. But in either case, the MDX-ship has sailed for me. Maybe it's the fact that I've owned nothing but Acuras my entire life and I'm ready for a change, or the EV power maybe just wowed me. You certainly get less features on an EV car compared to a comparably equipped ICE car. The only features I will miss from the Y that the MDX would have had are 360 camera and HUD. Also, here in SF bay area it's very easy to live with EV. There are superchargers all over, and I have a garage where I'll have a 240V plug installed for level 2 charging. Someone earlier also said that I should have bought the Model X as it's the similar size to MDX. While true, the X base price is $80k, so it's certainly not in the same price class. From the beginning, I was willing to spend about $60k for a car. So it was either MDX Advance, BMW X3 (optioned) or Model Y. All of these cars are $60k after TTL.

Well if you're in the SF bay area then the Telsa definitely makes more sense, gas prices out there are ridiculously high. If I were you and lived out there I would chose the Tesla too. Just know you won't have apple car play, 360 camera, HUD, backup cross traffic, blind spot monitoring and have poor visibility from the rear and sides of the Tesla, that shouldn't matter as you'll be in traffic going 3mph out there anyway lol
Old 10-18-2021, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well if you're in the SF bay area then the Telsa definitely makes more sense, gas prices out there are ridiculously high. If I were you and lived out there I would chose the Tesla too. Just know you won't have apple car play, 360 camera, HUD, backup cross traffic, blind spot monitoring and have poor visibility from the rear and sides of the Tesla, that shouldn't matter as you'll be in traffic going 3mph out there anyway lol
Yes, I fully understand the Y will be missing some of these features. However, none of my current cars have these features so I've never actually experienced them. It's well understood that EV drivetrain costs more than ICE drivetrain, so for the same money, you're going to have less features. But there are some EV-specific features that are nice, such as instant torque, tremendous power, more interior space than comparable ICE car, and easy charging at home. You also get undoubtedly the most advanced infotainment and it's constantly updated. Tesla doesn't have the blind spot lights in the mirrors, but instead rely on the cameras to provide visualization of all objects around you, and if you move toward it, alerts sound on the screen. The only thing I would probably want to have is HUD (since no gauge cluster) and ventilated seats. But life is all about compromises, right? After driving the Y, it makes the MDX feel slow.

Gas prices here in San Jose is over $5 at many stations around here.

If I didn't have a garage to charge in, EV would be less attractive. But I know many people here that don't have a Level 2 charger at home and they simply driving it all week, and then "fill up" at a nearby Supercharger. But this only works here because SCs are so common around here.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I've almost jumped ship on the Type S 3 or 4 times since I put a deposit down last January. If was supposed to be a B-day gift for my fiance (end of March B-Day). Salesman thought we might see the Type S by May.

So then looked at the Audi SQ7... She didn't like the looks. (could have had one for October delivery)

Looked at the Porsche Cayenne, and she didn't like the looks on that either.

Finally talked her into looking at the AMG GLE coupe and she liked that (my fav) so I called the local dealer and they said it would be March/April before we could take delivery of one of those...

So we are gonna hold tight and hope the Type S comes in late this year. I have feeling we might regret not getting in line for the GLE coupe, but Mercedes was probably being optimistic with their deliverable dates too.

COMMENT REMOVED

Last edited by csmeance; 11-18-2021 at 02:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ghostrider10-32:
datechboss101 (10-19-2021), haganjeff (10-19-2021), TXDrew (10-26-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostrider10-32
I've almost jumped ship on the Type S 3 or 4 times since I put a deposit down last January. If was supposed to be a B-day gift for my fiance (end of March B-Day). Salesman thought we might see the Type S by May.

So then looked at the Audi SQ7... She didn't like the looks. (could have had one for October delivery)

Looked at the Porsche Cayenne, and she didn't like the looks on that either.

Finally talked her into looking at the AMG GLE coupe and she liked that (my fav) so I called the local dealer and they said it would be March/April before we could take delivery of one of those...

So we are gonna hold tight and hope the Type S comes in late this year. I have feeling we might regret not getting in line for the GLE coupe, but Mercedes was probably being optimistic with their deliverable dates too.

"
My Type S deposit was more of a last-minute decision after learning Tesla decided to start production of the Cybertruck in late 2022 instead of Q3/Q4 of this year. That meant I would be taking delivery of the Cybertruck in Spring of 2024 (was given an original delivery date by consumer tracking of April 2023).

Last edited by csmeance; 11-18-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by datechboss101
My Type S deposit was more of a last-minute decision after learning Tesla decided to start production of the Cybertruck in late 2022 instead of Q3/Q4 of this year. That meant I would be taking delivery of the Cybertruck in Spring of 2024 (was given an original delivery date by consumer tracking of April 2023).
yikes. 2024... I haven't that kind of patience. Plus I'd be to worried something else I'd want instead would come out..

Im only surviving the wait for the type S because it's not for me
Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostrider10-32
yikes. 2024... I haven't that kind of patience. Plus I'd be to worried something else I'd want instead would come out..

Im only surviving the wait for the type S because it's not for me
I placed the $100 reserve deposit back in Jan 2020. Its Oct 2021, which has been 21 months right now of me waiting for this dang vehicle. I know I'm like order number 4xx,xxx. And this vehicle was the original graduation gift to myself, but looks like I might as well combine graduation and my 22nd b-day gift together with the MDX Type S. My patience will run out if it doesn't get delivered by Summer 2024; then, I will have to look at a dually.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Talk to Tony at los gatos. they'll share build dates with you on incoming stuff. tesla is a different animal. usually people that like one won't like the other.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I think I wouldn't give up my place in line or ask for my deposit back until the MDX Type-S is on the road. It might be well into 2023 before the microchip supply issue "starts" to get back to normal. At the same time, car manufacturers are slowly moving away from 100% gas powered vehicles for their entire fleet and heading towards hybrid/BEV only in about 8-15 years. The MDX Type-S might be available the entire 4th Gen 6-7 year model year run or be limited production run like the 17-20 MDX hybrid. Another forum member has a deposit for a 22 Caddy CT5-V Blackwing (last of S/C V-8 to be made) and he was offered $15,000 to give up his place in line to the person behind him. It is "EXTREMELY" unusual for Acura to whip out the Type-S name plate at the beginning for a model run. They usually save that performance label for after the MMC and that has me a little worried about Acura killing the MDX Type-S around that time.

So glad I decide to jump on my 18 RLX hybrid and 19 MDX hybrid when I did because now the Acura hybrids are harder to find, more expensive in this market climate, higher mileage, very limited OEM accessories available, and worse shape in the used market. I can see a few folks having regrets of not going for the MDX Type-S if they give up their place in-line.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
Talk to Tony at los gatos. they'll share build dates with you on incoming stuff. tesla is a different animal. usually people that like one won't like the other.
I was already talking to Brian there. Los Gatos Acura is the dealer where I take my cars for service.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Somebody recently posted about buying an MDX through Costco below MSRP, don’t recall their location. Might be worth a shot?
Old 11-30-2021, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
The OP is from CA (San Jose) as well as I (OC). We can't touch your guys prices. There is no inventory around here and when there is, it's above MSRP. Prior to getting our '21 RDX, I was repeatedly quote $900/mo for MDX Tech leases and nothing has changed (if not gotten worse). Some guy may reply to this message and say he got $12K off some dealership in SoCal, but I've been doing this for a long time and it's the worst I've seen (supply and demand).
Old 12-03-2021, 06:13 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Sounds awesome! Electric is the future. The future is now.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

If you didn't like way the 1st 2022 MDX shifted what made you buy another one ? Did it shift any better?
Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
To usmarinedelta, I guess from your Nomer, you served with the Marines? If that is so..... Thank you for your Service to this Country. I read recently, that VGets seem to Not like receiving those comments, but what the Heck, I made them anyway. Your comments and observations of the Tesla Y are interesting. A few months ago, while doing YT surfing, chasing reviews about the new 2022 MDX (which I got !! in August - MDX Advance in Fathom Blue Pearl / Gray Leather Interior), there is a husband and wife couple in Canada who do weekly reviews of all cars (forget their name and /or Channel). I recall that the wife while testing a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid cited a recent CA car registration stat. 20% of CA EV owners, sold off and went back to Gasoline powered cars. Fake News, I don't know, I did not Fact Check (excuse the cliques) that stat, but nonetheless, it was interesting stat. It may relate to the fact that most people don't Zero in on the issue of how much Resources are expended to produce the batteries, charging electric power for those "guzzler" batteries, and the inconvenience of what you describe, the Fast rundown of the batteries, despite what is purported in the marketplace. I seems that the EV Wave has commenced and will be all consuming - everybody is joining the Party. I'm 70 yo, so in all probability, my next car (or second car ) maybe a EV which would be in lieu of a Golf Cart or E-Scooter (it's Too Cold In The NE for Open Air Vehicles - 15 Degrees this morning !! .
I do question similar to ns/1 that if you found the 2022 MDX to have abrupt shifts, why would you go back to re-acquiring another one? FTR, in the recent cold, I do notice a harsh first shift in the morning as I go to the store (I'm retired and getting the Morning newspapers is the main Excitement now in these Harsh Times /Hibernation), but after a brief warmup, it shifts Fine, solid, and smooth. Yeah, all cars have their Quirks, nothing is Perfect, (My wish List is that this car should have had a Touch Screen and Touch Pad), but I really LIKE this car (I refrain form using LOVE bc I reserve that for People/ Family).
I offer you Good Luck in your new Acura MDX (Get the Advance model like I did).
Old 01-11-2022, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
To be fair, I've had some dealerships do that to me too in the east coast, but obviously I wasn't going to deal with them. It was a simple okay thanks for your time without trying to negotiate. Most dealerships offer MSRP and I had two offer below MSRP- around $500-1000 below. The ones that offer higher than MSRP weren't even given a second look.

Once you're shopping, it's easy to see the games some dealerships will pull on you. Before it would be harder as there would be bait and switch involved and it's easy to get the OTD price online. Due to the pandemic, bait and switch seems to have been less dominant in my experience.
Which dealers are offering MSRP or below? Can you message me? Thanks.