Considering extended warranty (trans concerns)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Considering extended warranty (trans concerns)

Hi, I'm considering an extended warranty on our MDX. It currently has 36k miles and I believe our warranty is good to 60k. I'm giving some real thought to buying an extended warranty either through Acura or a third party. I have some longer-term transmission concerns with the vehicle.
Has anyone explored the extended warranty options and costs on the 2022+ MDX yet? I'd assume some of you have taken that plunge or at least evaluated it.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2024, 06:59 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
You do have the standard 6 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty. You will need to purchase Acuracare while the 4yr/50,000 mile basic warranty is still active. You get get up to 5 extra years and 120,000 miles of coverage with Acuracare (9 years total to 120,000 miles). Acura does charge a little extra with more mileage (could be an extra $150-$250 depending on mileage). The Acuracare will not kick-in until the 6/70k standard powertrain expires. You do have the option with Acuracare to a pro-rated cancel at anytime, transfer to the next owner, use at any Acura dealership, and sometimes use at a Honda dealership depending on location. You just have to read the fine print and restrictions for 3rd party warranties.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:48 PM
Dedalus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shop around. I think you can buy it from other dealers or all(?) dealers. I got mine through Curry Acura, I think.
Mike Todd
Old 05-29-2024, 02:05 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
I have had Acuracare on 2 of my Acuras, after buying Hondacare contracts on my last 2 Hondas.

Overall I've saved about 20% vs dealer prices on Hondacare. And I've saved about 50% vs dealer prices on Acuracare so far, but on track to save 75% vs dealer prices before the warranty runs out. If you like the amenities of dealer service it is a clear no-brainer to always purchase Acuracare. They get factory discount rates on parts and labor built into their cost structure, which makes the purchaser come out ahead on average. And you get the peace of mind for (more than) free.

Few points:
- Shop around online dealer websites (unless you live in Florida). They take less margin than a selling-dealer's finance office, so have much better pricing. The actual warranty they sell you is identical.
- 3rd party warranty companies are in the business to make money, so they hassle you and your service shop relentlessly in the warranty process to try to weasel out of reimbursing for things. My experience with Hondacare and Acuracare is that their goal is to increase the sales of Honda/Acura vehicles, so they focus on keeping the customer happy and pretty much financially breaking even. I've never had anything denied from them that wasn't clearly excluded in their contract (most commonly bulbs/batteries/trim).

My experience:
- Hondacare purchased at selling dealer for my 05 Accord. Pretty much broke even despite probably overpaying for the warranty since I didn't know about online dealers at the time.
- Hondacare purchased at Curry Honda website for my CPO 08 Odyssey. Saved about 30% vs repairs covered.
- Acuracare purchased at selling Florida dealer for my CPO 2020 MDX. This vehicle was either a Friday car, an odometer rollback, or a prior oceanside (salt-garaged) owner. Most unreliable Honda/Acura I've ever owned and I've had at least $7000 and counting in Acuracare-covered free warranty repairs on it so far. I'm going for a free repair of a "would have been $1k" motor mount for it today. (I bought Acuracare from the Florida selling dealer since the state has regulated prices and dealer finance offices don't make much markup)
- Acuracare purchased at selling Florida dealer for my CPO 2022 RDX. Car hasn't had a single problem so the warranty hasn't been used yet. Averaging with the MDX costs I'm still far ahead.

Last edited by mvl; 05-29-2024 at 02:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (05-29-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mvl
I have had Acuracare on 2 of my Acuras, after buying Hondacare contracts on my last 2 Hondas.

Overall I've saved about 20% vs dealer prices on Hondacare. And I've saved about 50% vs dealer prices on Acuracare so far, but on track to save 75% vs dealer prices before the warranty runs out. If you like the amenities of dealer service it is a clear no-brainer to always purchase Acuracare. They get factory discount rates on parts and labor built into their cost structure, which makes the purchaser come out ahead on average. And you get the peace of mind for (more than) free.

Few points:
- Shop around online dealer websites (unless you live in Florida). They take less margin than a selling-dealer's finance office, so have much better pricing. The actual warranty they sell you is identical.
- 3rd party warranty companies are in the business to make money, so they hassle you and your service shop relentlessly in the warranty process to try to weasel out of reimbursing for things. My experience with Hondacare and Acuracare is that their goal is to increase the sales of Honda/Acura vehicles, so they focus on keeping the customer happy and pretty much financially breaking even. I've never had anything denied from them that wasn't clearly excluded in their contract (most commonly bulbs/batteries/trim).

My experience:
- Hondacare purchased at selling dealer for my 05 Accord. Pretty much broke even despite probably overpaying for the warranty since I didn't know about online dealers at the time.
- Hondacare purchased at Curry Honda website for my CPO 08 Odyssey. Saved about 30% vs repairs covered.
- Acuracare purchased at selling Florida dealer for my CPO 2020 MDX. This vehicle was either a Friday car, an odometer rollback, or a prior oceanside (salt-garaged) owner. Most unreliable Honda/Acura I've ever owned and I've had at least $7000 and counting in Acuracare-covered free warranty repairs on it so far. I'm going for a free repair of a "would have been $1k" motor mount for it today. (I bought Acuracare from the Florida selling dealer since the state has regulated prices and dealer finance offices don't make much markup)
- Acuracare purchased at selling Florida dealer for my CPO 2022 RDX. Car hasn't had a single problem so the warranty hasn't been used yet. Averaging with the MDX costs I'm still far ahead.
So far I've gotten quotes from two dealers, their pricing is dramatically different with my local dealer being the highest. I'll start looking online this week to see where I can find the best deal.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you point me to some online dealers? I'm in Georgia if that matters. Patiently waiting for either a price drop or finance incentive on the '25 MDX - which yes I know could be a while still - but I would definitely want to add Acuracare. Is your advice to do that separately from the dealer I buy the car from? I would hope they would also negotiate on the warranty price but having another quote would be helpful.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:52 PM
Dedalus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggested Curry Acura and MVL alluded to it (by saying Curry Honda). You can negotiate at the dealer, but they won't move much on the warranty. The guys in the finance office, who typically push the warranty, are the ones who make big commissions on stuff like that. It's like every dollar you get him/her to deduct is money right off his/her paycheck. Also, remember that those finance office jobs are usually a promotion for successful salespeople. Customers who get beat up the most in the finance office are the ones who think the deal is done and they just have to sign a few things. Still, get your quotes before you go in. Also, at my last deal, last year in April, they didn't have the same kind of terms. The miles/years were different, and there were other things like guaranteed discounts when you have things not covered, like brakes (if I bring it to that dealership for the extras). I had my quote from Curry, but they made it a little more like comparing apples and oranges. Dealers are figuring us out as quickly as we figure them out.
Mike Todd