Unhappy AutoBlog: No Hybrid Planned

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/08/...#slide-2282935

Acura doesn't have plans for a new MDX hybrid
The turbocharged Type S will be taking the sporty MDX slot

Joel Stocksdale
Dec 8th 2020 at 2:35PM

• 2022 Acura MDX
  • Image Credit: Acura

Besides an entirely new platform, suspension, and a turbocharged Type S model coming soon, the 2022 Acura MDX is new in another way: it seems to be losing its hybrid trim level. During a media roundtable, Acura's global development lead confirmed that there are no plans for a hybrid version of the new MDX.
Part of the reason for the lack of a hybrid for the new MDX is the aforementioned Type S model. The Acura development lead noted that the outgoing MDX Sport Hybrid is the current sporty, high-output version of the crossover. That mantle is now being taken over by the Type S with its turbocharged 3.0-liter V6. The new Type S makes 355 horsepower and 355 pound-feet of torque, which also represents a large power increase over the Sport Hybrid's 321 horsepower and 289 pound-feet.

The Type S won't be able to do everything the Sport Hybrid could do, though. While official fuel economy numbers haven't been revealed, we're confident the Type S won't be able to hit the 27 mpg combined of the hybrid. The Sport Hybrid's powertrain was also quite interesting, as it combined its 3.0-liter naturally aspirated V6 with a trio of electric motors. A single motor worked in conjunction with the engine to power the front wheels, and one motor each powered the rear wheels and provided torque vectoring. It was sort of like a backwards NSX.

While Acura doesn't have plans for a hybrid right now, it is possible the brand could change its mind. And in an ever electrifying world, it would be surprising if we never saw a hybrid MDX return.

Related Video:

Featured Gallery2022 Acura MDX

Acura MDX Sport Hybrid Informatio

Old 12-09-2020 | 07:36 AM
mrgold35

All Acura needs to do is mate the hybrid powertrain to the Type-S 3.0T for +400 hp/tq and +25 mpgs combined. They can even add a larger battery pack with a plug-in option for around 15-18 miles of pure EV range. It would compete against the XC90 hybrid and be a cheaper performance alternative to Audi S/RS brands, AMG, BMW M, Jag SVR, Porsche Macan S/GTS/Turbo, and Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Sooooo glad I got my18 RLX hybrid and 19 MDX hybrids when I did. Might be 2024 or beyond before Acura brings back any hybrid powertrain. The hybrid powertrain is fantastic and a shame it may not an option for Acura or even Honda anymore.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-09-2020 at 07:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
bmoua15 (01-29-2021), moose66 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020 | 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
. . . . .Sooooo glad I got my18 RLX hybrid and 19 MDX hybrids when I did. Might be 2024 or beyond before Acura brings back any hybrid powertrain. The hybrid powertrain is fantastic and a shame it may not an option for Acura or even Honda anymore.
I was thinking of finding a 2020 to replace my 2018 since this appears to be it for the hybrid MDX. The thought there was to get the last model year before they are gone. I was also starting to just glance around elsewhere. The Audi e-tron looked impressive until some ratings/reviews started to come back unfavorable.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020 | 08:31 AM
mrgold35

I've seen the same reviews and folks seems dislike the Audi e-tron on average. The only hybrid vehicle that seems to be universally loved are the Volvo XC 40/60/90 models. A MSRP $70,000-$75,000 XC90 plug-in hybrid (depending on options) with 400hp/472tq may not be that much more compared to a 2022 MDX Type-S. Might have to jump ship if there isn't an Acura SUV or sedan hybrid after 2024.
Old 12-09-2020 | 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Yep. Our buddy on the RLX side @RLX-Sport Hybrid seems to rave about the Volvo XC90 plug in. Value wise, the MDX SH Hybrid hit the spot. I just love what you get from our hybrid MDX's for the money. Power, comfort, tech, and reliability at a good price point. Jumping up to the 70K mark is quite the leap.
pilozm (01-04-2021)
Old 12-09-2020 | 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

You and me both. I love both my Sport Hybrids (MDX and RLX) and very glad they are in my stable. Shame Acura is giving up on this amazing drive-train.
Old 12-10-2020 | 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Honda Fumbles The Ball With The 2022 Acura MDX (cleantechnica.com)

Today, Acura announced its new 2022 MDX, but disappointed. Not only did it miss an opportunity to enter the EV or PHEV market with its flagship crossover, but the company dropped the ball completely and decided to stop making a hybrid version at all.

This was especially disappointing as an MDX owner. Yes, it’s an older model and I don’t drive it a lot, but it’s a decent car for its age. Unlike the Chevy I used to have of the same model year, the MDX has power everything, memory seats, and even came from the factory with Bluetooth (and this was just before smartphones were a thing). The handling is great for a vehicle its size, the AWD helps a lot with feeling like a real SUV (especially with accelerating), and it’s got Honda dependability.

The car is my wife’s pride and joy, and she really, really wanted to buy another one in the next couple of years. At least she did until today.

Because my wife loves Acuras, I’ve test driven a number of them, and I’m probably Acura’s biggest unwitting fan. The 2015ish MDX we considered a couple years ago used is a great vehicle for a gas car, and gets great mileage for a vehicle with 7 seats. More recently, we looked at a few of the current generation sport hybrid models, and I was very impressed. It almost feels like an EV in the more mild modes and feels like a big sports car in sport mode. As a long-time auto enthusiast, the sound of that V6 with the beautiful exhaust they still included with the hybrid was excellent. It even has VTEC, yo!

We were really expecting the next generation MDX to come with at least a plugin hybrid option we could consider. After the great work they did on the current generation sport hybrid, further electrification would have been the next logical step. Truth be told, we probably would have bought one. Sure, I’d prefer a Tesla, but being able to use electric drive around town and get the vehicle my wife has been wanting for years would have been a great compromise. I do 90% of my driving locally anyway, so the gas would have only rarely been used if they included a reasonable battery pack.

After today’s reveal, some auto journalists were holding out hope that a hybrid version would be introduced, but at a roundtable later in the day, they told us to not expect any hybrid models. Now, any question about whether we get its non-existent PHEV or a Tesla are now put to bed.

It Would Have Been A Great Vehicle…A Decade Ago. The long-time auto enthusiast in me does appreciate what they did, though. It’s just about 10 years late.

The car’s styling looks great, and it appears that the company did improve the aerodynamics a bit, which may give some good highway economy numbers. It looks sporty and aggressive, and gives a modern look. The interior looks sharp as well. Safety technology, ADAS, and other features are also all up to 2020 expectations (with the exception of autonomy). Safety-wise, having a few physical controls is also a welcome sight.

Family-wise, it doesn’t disappoint. One of the things that disappointed us about most of the Sport Hybrids on dealer lots was the lack of a seventh seat. Acura seems to have listened to input, and includes a removable middle seat in the second row to give both the captain’s chair experience with the ability to install that seventh seat for those times an extra passenger is along. For a family of six, that’s a great, versatile move.

Better third row seat room and the panoramic sunroof are also welcome improvements. It’s also loaded with a lot of family friendly features and has better cargo room behind the third row, even when it’s up.

Unlike many crossovers and SUVs these days, Acura didn’t just cram a powerful engine in and leave the rest of the platform feeling like a marshmallow. Knowing that the company put a lot of thought into the suspension, and knowing that previous generations had decent handling, I know we can expect something good from the vehicle.

In some ways, it’s shocking that Acura would overlook electrification in a time when Tesla is one of their biggest competitors. I would have understood if it had gone PHEV and not full EV, but completely abandoning electrification altogether is a real sucker punch to the gut.

The platform does appear to be at least a little ready for electrification. It has electric power steering, for example, and wouldn’t need an iffy pump system like EV conversions sometimes do. In other words, the company wouldn’t have to make a plugin hybrid system a complete afterthought if it came to its senses and offered a plugin hybrid.

I’m hoping that Acura does the right thing here and puts the MDX back on the map.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
moose66 (12-11-2020), pilozm (01-04-2021)
Old 12-10-2020 | 04:33 PM
Safety Car

I can't believe they won't be producing MDX Hybrid. It is such a great handling ride
pilozm (01-04-2021)
Old 12-10-2020 | 04:42 PM
mrgold35

Acura finally got the perfect interior and produced the perfect powertrain in the hybrid to go with it. The only hope now is "maybe" Acura makes a Type-R MDX with 3.0T+hybrid powertrain down the road.
Old 12-10-2020 | 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura is just testing the waters with Type S vehicles. Don't count Sport Hybrid out just yet. Who knows, maybe Type S sales will flop and they will release a new Type R/S Sport Hybrid in 3-4 years.

I thought about waiting for the TLX Type S, until I saw the cheap interiors of new 2021 TLX. No thanks. TLX Type S will be priced $55K+. I jumped on my full loaded 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid for $43495 instead. I'll take the awesome Hybrid drive-train and luxurious cabin over newer TLX interiors and V6T. Already bought GROM, so infotainment issue is remedied. As perfect as it gets for now.

Last edited by jdpdata; 12-10-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura finally got the perfect interior and produced the perfect powertrain in the hybrid to go with it. The only hope now is "maybe" Acura makes a Type-R MDX with 3.0T+hybrid powertrain down the road.
Hells yeah . 400HP+ MDX Sport Hybrid Type R. But can Acura keep that under $$70K?
Old 12-10-2020 | 05:24 PM
mrgold35

The new 2022 MDX 290hp Adv sh-awd comes in at more weight than my 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 321 hp. Add in the 17-20 MDX hybrid's Sport+ mode, slick shifting 7DCT, regen braking, lower center of gravity, electronic dampers, and true tq vectoring; while, getting +450 miles per tank.

The only thing I can figure is Acura was selling the MDX hybrid at a loss? I imagine the hybrid powertrain was 1/2 the cost of the MDX if you priced out each component. Some statistician bean counter probably figured out Acura needs to sell +8,000 hybrids per year to break even and a demo survey's showed only around 3000 unit would likely be sold yearly.
Old 12-10-2020 | 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

The new 2022 MDX 290hp Adv sh-awd comes in at more weight than my 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 321 hp. Add in the 17-20 MDX hybrid's Sport+ mode, slick shifting 7DCT, regen braking, lower center of gravity, electronic dampers, and true tq vectoring; while, getting +450 miles per tank.

The only thing I can figure is Acura was selling the MDX hybrid at a loss? I imagine the hybrid powertrain was 1/2 the cost of the MDX if you priced out each component. Some statistician bean counter probably figured out Acura needs to sell +8,000 hybrids per year to break even and a demo survey's showed only around 3000 unit would likely be sold yearly.
You're probably right. More of a reason to hang on our Sport Hybrids. Type S looks cool, but I'll take SH drive-train over any Type S any day of the week. For all the reasons you've listed (Sport+ mode, slick shifting 7DCT, regen braking, lower center of gravity, electronic dampers, and true tq vectoring; while, getting +450 miles per tank).
Old 12-13-2020 | 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getakey
I can't believe they won't be producing MDX Hybrid.
Agreed.

2020 MDX Sport-Hybrid ... I think they call this mild-hybrid now-days (MHEV).
You would think next models would be at least available with MHEV or even now PHEV.

Reading the first paragraph ...
Seems it was so great that Acura decided to shelve it for now. RLX with it is gone now also.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-years-ahead/

Old 12-13-2020 | 06:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Agreed.

2020 MDX Sport-Hybrid ... I think they call this mild-hybrid now-days (MHEV).
You would think next models would be at least available with MHEV or even now PHEV.

Reading the first paragraph ...
Seems it was so great that Acura decided to shelve it for now. RLX with it is gone now also.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-years-ahead/
Very happy we bought our 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid when we did. The SH is an amazing powertrain and would be Acura exclusive. Shame on Acura to get rid of an unique technologically advanced and good performing powertrain that is both efficient and fun to drive. The new MDX is way too big to park in a normal size modern garage and to have good performance, the Type S will be both MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE and have MUCH WORSE FUEL Economy than the Sport Hybrid. I also hate the distractive track pad. I have ZERO INTEREST in the brand due to poor decision on the past 3 products.

Very happy with the Sport Hybrid. Also stupid for Acura to make the 3G RDX slow and with terrible road noise (and still very fuel inefficient). Audi Q5 is where it's at in that class. 2G TLX too large, slow, and expensive for what it is.

While the 3G RDX is a good size, they are making the new TLX and MDX too large and harder to park with little practical value other than "show". That completely turns me off.

I'd totally buy a 3G RDX Sport Hybrid if performed well and they extensively reduced the terrible road noise. New MDX is too big even with a SH. No way would I park a $60k outside in the elements. We live further south than the Deep South and alternate between brutally hot sun and torrential downpours. No way do I want something too big to park in the garage. STOP MAKING the Vehicles bigger!! Garage sizes stay the same!!!

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 12-13-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2020 | 07:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
New MDX is too big even with a SH. No way would I park a $60k outside in the elements. We live further south than the Deep South and alternate between brutally hot sun and torrential downpours. No way do I want something too big to park in the garage. STOP MAKING the Vehicles bigger!! Garage sizes stay the same!!!
Can you please point to an official source that has given dimensions on the 2022 MDX? Otherwise, you are just guessing like everyone else.

Edit: Just came across this
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301188738.html

It's 2.2" longer and 1" wider. If the previous MDX fit your garage, this should fit too, no?

Last edited by ELIN; 12-13-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2020 | 07:28 PM
mrgold35

I've would have gone with a 3rd gen RDX if it had a hybrid option. The road noise from the rear of the RDX was a huge turn off and not much of an improvement from my 1st Gen RDX. I would be happier with my MDX if Acura would make the hatch glass open. Sometimes, I have to open the garage door to access the hatch depending on how far back the wife parks.
Old 12-13-2020 | 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

1. The new MDX is way too big to park in a normal size modern garage and to have good performance,

Also stupid for Acura to make the 3G RDX slow and with terrible road noise (and still very fuel inefficient). Audi Q5 is where it's at in that class. 2G TLX too large, slow, and expensive for what it is.

While the 3G RDX is a good size, they are making the new TLX and MDX too large and harder to park with little practical value other than "show". That completely turns me off.

2. No way would I park a $60k outside in the elements. We live further south than the Deep South and alternate between brutally hot sun and torrential downpours. No way do I want something too big to park in the garage. STOP MAKING the Vehicles bigger!! Garage sizes stay the same!!!
1. Right. Our 2014-MDX barely fit in garage, but back then, we needed 7-seater (or 5-seater with cargo space).

I heard about MDX-Hybrid. When we were ready to down-size to 5-seater SUV, we went to our Acura dealer to take a look at RDX-Hybrid. To our dismay ... we found it did not exist. Also, current RDX was missing creature comforts in MDX (why still, after all these years).

So, we started thinking about other brands for the first-time after all these years of buying Hondas and Acuras. At Audi, we found the Q5-e PHEV.

Yeah, waited for 2021-TLX (well documented in other forum section). Not the main reason for not buying, but wasn't really looking for a car LARGER than my Accord-V6 (the size of a Audi-A6) with no extra room inside and turning-radius larger than MDX.

2. Same here. Only a 2-car garage, so only 2-vehicles for us. Like I'm going to spend $50k-$60k on a vehicle and park it outside.
Old 12-14-2020 | 07:03 AM
mrgold35

I'm not 100% sure; but, I thought the 3rd Gen MDX hybrid was originally developed for the Chinese market? The reason Acura/Honda went with the 3.0L engine was the tax placed on displacement over there. Acura does sell the HR-V based CDX in China. Acura now offers the CDX with iVtec I-4 turbo+8DCT in A-Spec and/or hybrid models over there. I don't know the specs of the CDX hybrid. We might have to watch the Chinese market to see if +22 MDX hybrid is still being offered overseas. I'm still holding out hope Acura will do a hybrid model after the MMC in +2025.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.
bmoua15 (01-29-2021)
Old 12-21-2020 | 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

I'm not 100% sure; but, I thought the 3rd Gen MDX hybrid was originally developed for the Chinese market? The reason Acura/Honda went with the 3.0L engine was the tax placed on displacement over there. Acura does sell the HR-V based CDX in China. Acura now offers the CDX with iVtec I-4 turbo+8DCT in A-Spec and/or hybrid models over there. I don't know the specs of the CDX hybrid. We might have to watch the Chinese market to see if +22 MDX hybrid is still being offered overseas. I'm still holding out hope Acura will do a hybrid model after the MMC in +2025.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnfB0C-Lec
TBH, Acura needs this small SUV in NA!

Boost the engine to 245HP and price it reasonably. It will be a homerun.
Old 04-20-2021 | 05:17 PM
mrgold35

Acura still might surprise us in +2024/2025 with plug-in hybrid MDX with or without level III self driving as an option like they are testing with the 2021 RLX/Legend in Japan.

Honda readies Pilot plug-in hybrid: https://www.autonews.com/article/201...plug-in-hybrid

The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
bmoua15 (04-20-2021), TSX69 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021 | 06:40 PM
Safety Car

Isn't that from 3 years ago? Has there been any news on that since?
Old 04-20-2021 | 09:53 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Isn't that from 3 years ago? Has there been any news on that since?
Honda/Acura has mastered the art of preventing leaks of information about future models. Hopefully, it will be an improvement and not the current IMA hybrid system with a larger battery pack with a plug. I can see Acura providing a plug-in MDX version eventually; but, it will lean more towards sport, handing, and performance. Just add the current MDX hybrid tech to the Type-S for +420 hp/tq seems like a slam dunk.
Old 04-21-2021 | 06:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Until we get more intel on this partnership: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...uilding-plans/ . . . . . . . we just don't know what is going to happen with Honda/Acura's path for electric and/or hybrid vehicles.
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Smile Press Release

I have noticed that lately auto makers have been shying away from hybrids & only talking about EVs. Mercedes recently just announced that they are moving away from the PHEV development to focus solely on EVs. This all seems to dash my hopes of getting a hybrid or PHEV as my next vehicle (whenever the market returns to normal from the virus & microchip shortage).

However, today Honda/Acura had a press release that states: “We know customers who have a good experience with a hybrid vehicle are more likely to buy a battery electric vehicle in the future,” said Gardner. “Our strategy is focused on introducing a higher percentage of hybrids in core models in the near term, making a committed effort to achieve higher volume leading to the introduction of our Honda Prologue.”

Hope this means that the MDX will get some type of hybrid setup, be it the SH-SH-AWD system or the 2-Motor. I would even be happy if they dragged out the IMA mild hybrid like the Germans are doing. A small bump in HP, Torque & MPG would be nice.

Fingers crossed.

Old 09-20-2021 | 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSX69

I have noticed that lately auto makers have been shying away from hybrids & only talking about EVs. Mercedes recently just announced that they are moving away from the PHEV development to focus solely on EVs. This all seems to dash my hopes of getting a hybrid or PHEV as my next vehicle (whenever the market returns to normal from the virus & microchip shortage).

However, today Honda/Acura had a press release that states: “We know customers who have a good experience with a hybrid vehicle are more likely to buy a battery electric vehicle in the future,” said Gardner. “Our strategy is focused on introducing a higher percentage of hybrids in core models in the near term, making a committed effort to achieve higher volume leading to the introduction of our Honda Prologue.”

Hope this means that the MDX will get some type of hybrid setup, be it the SH-SH-AWD system or the 2-Motor. I would even be happy if they dragged out the IMA mild hybrid like the Germans are doing. A small bump in HP, Torque & MPG would be nice.

Fingers crossed.

I'm all for getting a Hybrid, however I have NO interest in anything that plugs in. We are prone to storms with several hours long and something days long power outages. I do not want an EV or plug in Hybrid, because our power situation is so bad and we frequently get storms that can knock things out. Also don't want to have to wait 30+ minutes to charge up on a road trip.

That said, if I can use gasoline (or future H2 or biofuel) that has been proven and/or a Hybrid that doesn't require relying on the electric grid, I'm all in.
Old 09-20-2021 | 12:59 PM
Safety Car

I'm all for getting a Hybrid, however I have NO interest in anything that plugs in. We are prone to storms with several hours long and something days long power outages. I do not want an EV or plug in Hybrid, because our power situation is so bad and we frequently get storms that can knock things out. Also don't want to have to wait 30+ minutes to charge up on a road trip.

That said, if I can use gasoline (or future H2 or biofuel) that has been proven and/or a Hybrid that doesn't require relying on the electric grid, I'm all in.
What's the issue with a PHEV? It's not like you have to plug in for it to work. In the times when you can't plug in, it just functions as a regular hybrid (albeit slightly less efficient because you're hauling around extra batteries). And in the times when you can plug in, you have something that is more efficient (and faster) than a regular hybrid (until you complete run out of juice).
Tesla1856 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 04:23 PM
6G TLX-S

Seems like Honda is no longer spending resources maintaining the performance-hybrid architecture. Resources are instead directed to full EV architectures that will become the future of Honda/Acura automobiles.