Acura MDX vs Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Acura MDX vs Genesis GV80

Hi All,

My 09' g37x is getting long in the tooth, and I'm looking around for a a new car to buy and keep for many years.

I want a decent third row, due to family around. I'm in that (typical?) space where I will rarely use it,
but when I do use it I don't want to constantly hear complaining. I'm probably overthinking this
since none of the family members are tall, so I can tighten up both the front row and the second row.

Now that the MDX is officially out and reviewed, Just wondering how everyone compares the mdx advance to the gv80 3 row?
RX350L was in the mix, but I just can't justify getting it over the mdx. It just feels way too dated. I'm curious about the refresh, but that's probably 2 years away.

Note: In the USA the gv80's 3rd row only comes with the Advanced Trim, not the prestige. (Canada can get the 3 row prestige, though, grrrrrr).
Carsdirect price (gotta use something): 2022 mdx advanced is $61700, gv80 3 row advanced+ is $66075.

For me personally:
GV80 pros:
I love the blind spot camera when you hit the turn signal.
I also like in the HUD how it shows you locations of cars relative to you - particularly in the rear blind spots.
Smaht Pahk
Smaht parallel park
Faster 0-60
power folding 3rd row
bigger infotainment screen, and it's touchscreen
massaging (king of) driver seat
longer warranty, with the concierge service

MDX pros:
bigger rear seat.
Can pull out the middle center console
HAS A SPARE TIRE. Not having a spare tire on the 3 row gv80 is practically a deal breaker for me.
HUD can show android auto directions and call information.
Full digital dash (GV80 advance is half digital)
Lower depreciation (I'm buying and keeping so I don't care about this).
More storage space under the floor in trunk.
reversable trunk floor. (well, the part behind the 3rd seat).
wireless android auto
alexa

Toss ups -
I suspect both should be long term reliable?
GV80 would stand out - It looks nothing like what I normally see on the street. hell, I rarely see genesis cars in New York to begin with. This might be a con rather than a pro.
The lane centering/ACC in the gv80 is excellent - the MDX seems to be good? not sure how it compares exactly.

Anything noteworthy I'm missing?

- Frank

Side rant: I have some relatives that get easily carsick in stop and go traffic, I'm hoping low speed ACC will help with this, but greatly depends on how smart it is.
Unfortunately I feel like reviewers never cover this, and are more interested in '0-60' speeds, which honestly I couldn't care less about. Just merge me onto the highway
acceptably and I'm good.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
My comments embedded below:

GV80 pros:
I love the blind spot camera when you hit the turn signal. - newer tech is nice
I also like in the HUD how it shows you locations of cars relative to you - particularly in the rear blind spots. - newer tech is nice
Smaht Pahk - nice to have when you need it
Smaht parallel park - I do this myself but could be handy for folks who are bad at it
Faster 0-60 - not a huge deal in this segment
power folding 3rd row - I have this in my GL450. You better hope it never fails!
bigger infotainment screen, and it's touchscreen - I hear the infotainment is actually worse than Acura's
massaging (king of) driver seat - I like these quilted seats
longer warranty, with the concierge service - if I'm not mistaken, scheduled maintenance also included?

MDX pros:
bigger rear seat. - I don't think this is true but need to test with your family for sure.
Can pull out the middle center console - overrated. My Sienna had a nice storage area for the center seat in the trunk. This one is too big to leave in the car.
HAS A SPARE TIRE. Not having a spare tire on the 3 row gv80 is practically a deal breaker for me. - both have roadside assistance. I haven't changed my own flat in years.
HUD can show android auto directions and call information. - I guess a pro if you use AA
Full digital dash (GV80 advance is half digital) - depends on what you like. I prefer the dependability and quick reading of analog gauges.
Lower depreciation (I'm buying and keeping so I don't care about this). - 2022 MDX deals have a 65% resid. value after 3 yrs. It appears GV80 is ~55-57%.
More storage space under the floor in trunk. - this is a nice trick
reversable trunk floor. (well, the part behind the 3rd seat). - another nice trick
wireless android auto - surprised the GV80 doesn't have it
alexa - nice to have but not a huge plus (I have privacy concerns with Amazon and Smart Homes in general).

A big con is this GV80 is the first model year of the first generation. You can expect most of the uglies in this one!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I’m surprised you thought the infotainment system was worse. The H/K/G systems are supposed to be one of the best and more intuitive systems out there. Most reviewers seem to love them.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I’m surprised you thought the infotainment system was worse. The H/K/G systems are supposed to be one of the best and more intuitive systems out there. Most reviewers seem to love them.
Not from personal experience. Just what I’ve read on MotorTrend, Edmunds, etc.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow Type S vs gv80

I think a better comparison would be the MDX Type S vs. GV80

but we will have to wait until the summer, when the type S is released

In my opinion, one of the problems with the Genesis brand is that you have to get service done at a Hyundai or Kia dealer. Their service departments suck! They are not luxury dealerships. I once owned a hyundai tucson and went to get service done at a hyundai dealership. I wanted to use a service coupon and wanted a free loaner car because I didn't want to wait. The service advisor said I could not do both. I could only use the service coupon or get a free loaner. I was super pissed! The next month, I traded in the lousy hyundai tucson for an Acura RDX !!

Old 02-06-2021, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vhdoshi
I think a better comparison would be the MDX Type S vs. GV80

but we will have to wait until the summer, when the type S is released

In my opinion, one of the problems with the Genesis brand is that you have to get service done at a Hyundai or Kia dealer. Their service departments suck! They are not luxury dealerships. I once owned a hyundai tucson and went to get service done at a hyundai dealership. I wanted to use a service coupon and wanted a free loaner car because I didn't want to wait. The service advisor said I could not do both. I could only use the service coupon or get a free loaner. I was super pissed! The next month, I traded in the lousy hyundai tucson for an Acura RDX !!
Forum sentiment is that Acura dealerships are no better than half a step above Honda. Acura and Genesis are not as far apart as you think.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Kia and Hyundai (Genesis parent) = the Walmart of cars IMO. Personally all vehicles look and feel nice when new, how’s that GV80 going to be after a year, 5 years, 10 years? I have a 10 year old MDX that is as solid today as it was the day we brought it home in 2011. To each their own, it’s your money!

Another con IMO, the GV 80 has a turbo(s), I do not like turbos and much prefer a NA motor, the 3.5 in the Acura is smooth and refined.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 02-06-2021 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Another con IMO, the GV 80 has a turbo(s), I do not like turbos and much prefer a NA motor, the 3.5 in the Acura is smooth and refined.
An odd thing to say given your username!
Nexx (02-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
An odd thing to say given your username!
Well, that username was created about 25 years ago when I bought my 1st of two new Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel pickups. One problem I encountered was blowing a hole through one of the turbo hoses while towing our 30 foot 5th wheel over Snoqualamie pass, but the worst was having to pull it off under the truck on the side of I-90 with vehicles screaming by you at 70+ mph while your laying on the ground on the freeway side of the highway. Fortunately, I had a roll of duct tape, wrapped the hole in the hose, reinstalled it and nursed our way back home. Turbo diesels are the only way to go when you are pulling 10,000+ lbs though.

But the main reason many/all car manufacturers use tiny 4 cylinder Turbos is to hit the CAFE numbers mandated by the US government, the mpg’s look great on paper but really suck in the real world unless you stay out of boost, but that is no fun! Acura was considering putting the 2.0T in the new MDX, same motor which is in the RDX. Think about it, a 2.0T in a 4,500 lb vehicle, you would be in high boost all the time and your mpg’s would be horrible, not to mention all the extra strain on the motor.

I will take the refined and proven 3.5 NA any day over a small 2.0T 4 cylinder. That being said, the 3.0T in the upcoming MDX Type S may be something to consider in the future. I would not be purchasing a new 2022 MDX if it only had the 2.0T. But it’s your money, buy what makes you happy! My money is on the NA V6!👍✌️😝

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 02-07-2021 at 12:10 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Gen4MDX:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-07-2021), ELIN (02-07-2021), savvich (02-07-2021), silverTL6 (02-07-2021), steve_97060 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Well, that username was created about 25 years ago when I bought my 1st of two new Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel pickups. One problem I encountered was blowing a hole through one of the turbo hoses while towing our 30 foot 5th wheel over Snoqualamie pass, but the worst was having to pull it off under the truck on the side of I-90 with vehicles screaming by you at 70+ mph while your laying on the ground on the freeway side of the highway. Fortunately, I had a roll of duct tape, wrapped the hole in the hose, reinstalled it and nursed our way back home. Turbo diesels are the only way to go when you are pulling 10,000+ lbs though.

But the main reason many/all car manufacturers use tiny 4 cylinder Turbos is to hit the CAFE numbers mandated by the US government, the mpg’s look great on paper but really suck in the real world unless you stay out of boost, but that is no fun! Acura was considering putting the 2.0T in the new MDX, same motor which is in the RDX. Think about it, a 2.0T in a 4,500 lb vehicle, you would be in high boost all the time and your mpg’s would be horrible, not to mention all the extra strain on the motor.

I will take the refined and proven 3.5 NA any day over a small 2.0T 4 cylinder. That being said, the 3.0T in the upcoming MDX Type S may be something to consider in the future. I would not be purchasing a new 2022 MDX if it only had the 2.0T. But it’s your money, buy what makes you happy! My money is on the NA V6!👍✌️😝
My last 4 cylinder before this 2G TLX was a 2002 Camry. I've gotten adjusted to the engine sound but I don't think I'll be getting 4 cylinders anymore.

Agree that EPA numbers paint a rosier picture at the cost of sound. It was a good decision by Acura to skip the turbo 4 for the MDX.
silverTL6 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
GV80 double depreciation 🤣 If you’re okay with it. I am sure both vehicles are good and have their pros and cons. You won’t get the perfect car.

I highly suggest you go and do a few long test drives. Don’t let the sales person rushes you.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
Hi All,

My 09' g37x is getting long in the tooth, and I'm looking around for a a new car to buy and keep for many years.

I want a decent third row, due to family around. I'm in that (typical?) space where I will rarely use it,
but when I do use it I don't want to constantly hear complaining. I'm probably overthinking this
since none of the family members are tall, so I can tighten up both the front row and the second row.

Now that the MDX is officially out and reviewed, Just wondering how everyone compares the mdx advance to the gv80 3 row?
RX350L was in the mix, but I just can't justify getting it over the mdx. It just feels way too dated. I'm curious about the refresh, but that's probably 2 years away.

Note: In the USA the gv80's 3rd row only comes with the Advanced Trim, not the prestige. (Canada can get the 3 row prestige, though, grrrrrr).
Carsdirect price (gotta use something): 2022 mdx advanced is $61700, gv80 3 row advanced+ is $66075.

For me personally:
GV80 pros:
I love the blind spot camera when you hit the turn signal.
I also like in the HUD how it shows you locations of cars relative to you - particularly in the rear blind spots.
Smaht Pahk
Smaht parallel park
Faster 0-60
power folding 3rd row
bigger infotainment screen, and it's touchscreen
massaging (king of) driver seat
longer warranty, with the concierge service

MDX pros:
bigger rear seat.
Can pull out the middle center console
HAS A SPARE TIRE. Not having a spare tire on the 3 row gv80 is practically a deal breaker for me.
HUD can show android auto directions and call information.
Full digital dash (GV80 advance is half digital)
Lower depreciation (I'm buying and keeping so I don't care about this).
More storage space under the floor in trunk.
reversable trunk floor. (well, the part behind the 3rd seat).
wireless android auto
alexa

Toss ups -
I suspect both should be long term reliable?
GV80 would stand out - It looks nothing like what I normally see on the street. hell, I rarely see genesis cars in New York to begin with. This might be a con rather than a pro.
The lane centering/ACC in the gv80 is excellent - the MDX seems to be good? not sure how it compares exactly.

Anything noteworthy I'm missing?

- Frank

Side rant: I have some relatives that get easily carsick in stop and go traffic, I'm hoping low speed ACC will help with this, but greatly depends on how smart it is.
Unfortunately I feel like reviewers never cover this, and are more interested in '0-60' speeds, which honestly I couldn't care less about. Just merge me onto the highway
acceptably and I'm good.
I had to put on my glasses to make sure I am seeing $67k for a Hyundai. Maybe I am old school but I wouldn't pay $1000 for a Seiko no matter how good it looks or designed. I will stick with a Tag Heuer. Maybe that's not a good and fair example to compare between a Hyundai and an Acura. But many manufacturers have gone to great length to build up a name and pour financial resources to create a separate luxury division and dealership network such Toyota and Lexus, Nissan and Infinity, and Honda and Acura. The line has been blurred in the last 10 years between many entry-level luxury cars and fully loaded vehicles from mainstream manufacturers. But the nameplate recognition is still there.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Alex, I see what you're saying. I've had the same "check my eyes" reaction when I see Cadillacs that list for over $100k (for example).

Dismissing Genesis vehicles as just Hynudais is unfair, though, and similar to turning one's nose up at Acura because it is a division of Honda. And while Honda has a lot more brand equity with me than Hyundai does, I have to admit the Korean automakers have advanced REALLY fast from cheap econoboxes to decent values to now, very competitive vehicles that seem to offer a real value against anyone else.

To use your Seiko analogy, I'm sure you've heard of Grand Seiko watches, which are among the most desirable in the world (yet still amazingly affordable compared to other brands that charge a huge premium for their brand name and seemingly nothing else).
ELIN (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Dismissing Genesis vehicles as just Hynudais is unfair, though, and similar to turning one's nose up at Acura because it is a division of Honda.
I agree. Acura fans snubbing their noses at Genesis fans is like the pot calling the kettle black.

If Acura doesn't watch out, Genesis will surpass them on their way to catching up to Lexus. Remember back in the day when folks were buying up Sony/Panasonic TV's (Japanese)? The better TV's these days are made by Koreans IMHO (Samsung/LG)! I see a passing of the torch!
honda_nut (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I agree. Acura fans snubbing their noses at Genesis fans is like the pot calling the kettle black.

If Acura doesn't watch out, Genesis will surpass them on their way to catching up to Lexus. Remember back in the day when folks were buying up Sony/Panasonic TV's (Japanese)? The better TV's these days are made by Koreans IMHO (Samsung/LG)! I see a passing of the torch!
We can agree to disagree. You have made a good point about Korean TVs and Samsung phones. Again, I am a little old school. I paid a premium for an iPhone for myself and my wife since their cost is the same to a Galaxy. It has been serving me well and I will continue to support Apple. It's worth the premium. The last 2 TVs I bought are Sony in the last 3 years. I gave Samsung and LG a shot and they both broke down within 5 years. Our 52" Sony LCD I bought from Sears over 12 years ago lasted longer than the Sears store itself . It now is in storage and I should donate it. I have 2 Samsung fridges (one counter-depth) and another side-by-side with the fancy see through door etc. Both have been giving us problems with sealing and temperature control. We gave a away a plain-looking GE side-by-side when we bought the Samsungs because it looked dated but had been trouble free for over 8 years. When my wife sits in or drives my 2018 MB E-class P3, she said it feels "different." She can't describe the subjective factor but said she wouldn't pay for a Lexus or Acura if they cost the same. It's hard to put it in words. But if a Korean car costs anything near a Japanese car, I wouldn't visit the former dealer any time soon. I can still remember not too long ago when Hyundai first started to sell a $5k hatchback in the US by obtaining licensing from Mitsubishi to build the engine. Yes, it has come a long way but not there yet.

Last edited by AlexH; 02-11-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexH
We can agree to disagree. You have made a good point about Korean TVs and Samsung phones. Again, I am a little old school. I paid a premium for an iPhone for myself and my wife since their cost is the same to a Galaxy. It has been serving me well and I will continue to support Apple. It's worth the premium. The last 2 TVs I bought are Sony in the last 3 years. I gave Samsung and LG a shot and they both broke down within 5 years. Our 52" Sony LCD I bought from Sears over 12 years ago lasted longer than the Sears store itself . It now is in storage and I should donate it. I have 2 Samsung fridges (one counter-depth) and another side-by-side with the fancy see through door etc. Both have been giving us problems with sealing and temperature control. We gave a away a plain-looking GE side-by-side when we bought the Samsungs because it looked dated but had been trouble free for over 8 years. When my wife sits in or drives my 2018 MB E-class P3, she said it feels "different." She can't describe the subjective factor but said she wouldn't pay for a Lexus or Acura if they cost the same. It's hard to put it in words. But if a Korean car costs anything near a Japanese car, I wouldn't visit the former dealer any time soon. I can still remember not too long ago when Hyundai first started to sell a $5k hatchback in the US by obtaining licensing from Mitsubishi to build the engine. Yes, it has come a long way but not there yet.
I am with you, my Sony TVs have been amazing. I hated the one Samsung TV I bought. Gave it to my Dad.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexH
I had to put on my glasses to make sure I am seeing $67k for a Hyundai.
I'm not going to lie, I kind of rolled my eyes when I first found out Genesis was Hyundai's luxury brand.
However, after doing more research, I find hyundai to be making very respectable vehicles as of late, and their genesis vehicles even more so.
If I only needed two seats, I'd put the GV80 near the top of the list. To not consider Genesis simply because of their Hyundai roots doesn't do me any favors.
I'd be more likely to flinch due to "model's first year" unknowns.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:35 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow YouTube video

Check out this youtube video