2022 MDX Type S or Should I wait for the 2023

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 MDX Type S or Should I wait for the 2023

Here's my problem, I currently drive a 2007 MDX and have 356,000 km (221,000 mi), the car drives great and no real issues with it. I've been waiting for the 4th gen. MDX to come out and I really like it and was planning on buying one in 2022, but then I heard about the Type S. The concern i have about the first year release of the Type S is potential problems, more specifically, the twin turbo, air suspension, Brembo brakes etc. I typically keep my cars for a very long time and I'm wondering if I should wait for the 2023 Type S (if they will release one) in hopes that any bugs will be worked out or should I buy the 2022?
How reliable is the Acura twin turbo, air suspension etc? If I keep the car for a long time, am I looking at expensive repairs on these items in the future?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocco_10
Here's my problem, I currently drive a 2007 MDX and have 356,000 km (221,000 mi), the car drives great and no real issues with it. I've been waiting for the 4th gen. MDX to come out and I really like it and was planning on buying one in 2022, but then I heard about the Type S. The concern i have about the first year release of the Type S is potential problems, more specifically, the twin turbo, air suspension, Brembo brakes etc. I typically keep my cars for a very long time and I'm wondering if I should wait for the 2023 Type S (if they will release one) in hopes that any bugs will be worked out or should I buy the 2022?
How reliable is the Acura twin turbo, air suspension etc? If I keep the car for a long time, am I looking at expensive repairs on these items in the future?
It's a single turbo, twin scroll, and the engine & transmission have been solid so far in the TLX Type-S. Anything else, is normal MDX concerns you can read here on other models. Only unknown is the air suspension.

But if you had a first model year 2007 that's been fine, and now the Type-S is such a late intro, it's really almost a next model year build at this point. Likely some updates for 2023, but not much.

If you can find & secure one, and like the deal, it's not a bad move. Air ride is fully unknown and we all should plan for something odd to go on with that, but no one knows as it's never been offered with a Honda model before.

I think one main thing now is there have been zero press drives or reviews of this yet, and we can all get a good feel from driving a current MDX, and then even a TLX Type-S back to back. I have a TLX Type-S already, ordered an MDX Type-S, but bought a fully different SUV in the meantime and likely may just hold off on my "I need it!" MDX order for now.
The following users liked this post:
Krauthawk (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply and you have made some solid points that I will keep into consideration.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:20 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocco_10
I think it is time for a new car. The 2007 is getting long on the tooth. First year models shouldn't scare you. That's what the warranty is for.
The following users liked this post:
mark riccio (09-04-2023)
Old 12-19-2021, 06:25 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
I think it is time for a new car. The 2007 is getting long on the tooth. First year models shouldn't scare you. That's what the warranty is for.
I agree with E92Vancover... I have the 2022 MDX Advance. Love it, and I don't typically use the term Love for a car. Mine is compeletley Flaw Free. I love the new redseign - more muscular, the 10sp AT is terrific (IMO much better than the 9AT I had in the 2019 MDX), handling is top notch & solid in all regards. The suspension upgrade is clearly evident at least to me as soon as I test drove it in August. The interior is elegant , not Overdone and purposeful (although the TTP takes getting used to). I thought that paying MSRP with no discounts tom speak of in August was a bit Hasty on my part. But Heck, I retired in May 2021, I'm 70 YO, and went for the Trade Up on my 2019 lease. Now I'm seeing that people may be paying MORE than MSRP as the shortages are creating a pent up demand for both New and Used Cars. If you can afford it without financial distress, Go For It!! The 2023s will probably be more $$$ and there will be no changes on brand new vehicle.
Good Luck on your decision. Oh Yeah, as I have written before on other threads, SHOP YOUR DEAL. I saved a few Bucks doing that, and when i made my deal at Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY, I was able to Squueze out 3 Free Oil changes form the "financial Officer". Actually, it was 4 because when i brought my car in for the 1st Free oil chnage last week (2400 miles on the clock - I'm Old School, and way back when an old mechanic told me that you shopuld do a early oil Change because a new engine will produce filiments into the oil as it Breaks in), the Service Advisor told me that as New Customer, the 1st oil Change is Complimentary!!. Now That's nice customer service!! I will Be back for the next car.