2022 Advance vs Tech- any dealbreaker differences or can't go wrong with either

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021 | 06:53 PM
Advanced

2022 Advance vs Tech- any dealbreaker differences or can't go wrong with either

I test drove a Tech 2022 today and really fell in love with it. I had tried to test drive a used 2018 and really couldn't get on board with with interior. Same case with the CPO 2020 the dealer had. I've been test driving a lot of cars- Mercedes-Benz GLC 300, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, the 2022 MDX interior felt more on par with these vehicles than its predecessors.

Dealer only has a couple of the Tech but none are in my preferred color combo. The sales rep did say he'll let me known if they should get an unclaimed Advance .

Are there material differences between the Adcance vs the Tech or would either be a good pick? Would maintenance on either be pretty much in line with the schedule for a Honda Pilot so the cost would not be substantially different? I'm leaning towards the Advance even though I did not get to see or test drive one.

Last edited by GurlRDX; 07-12-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2021 | 07:16 PM
Instructor

I currently have a 2019 MDX SH-AWD Tech and with my trade-in value, I was able to swing the Advance. It is on order (June 3) and expected arrival August/September. With that being said, I asked my salesman if going up to the ASPEC was worth it (wanted the ELS 3D stereo and Ventilated Seats). Then, I decided to see the difference between that and the Advance. He told me the value in the Advance is worth it. You get heated rear seats, 16 way power seat , Surround Camera, HUD, Touch free lift gate, LED Fog Lights, Heated Steering Wheel, ELS 3D Stereo, and Ventilated Seats. He said you get a few thousand $$ worth of more features for around $2500 difference than the ASPEC. I also learned my lesson with the 2019. I added LED Fog Lights, a heated steering wheel, all weather mats, and splash guards. By the time I did that, I could have opted for the Advanced. Best of luck with your decision!
The following users liked this post:
GurlRDX (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021 | 07:19 PM
Intermediate

From a driving/performance standpoint, there isn't much difference (assuming you're comparing SH-AWD models in both trims). But after having a 2020 RDX Advance, the main thing I wasn't willing to live without in my MDX was the heads-up display (HUD). It's so convenient and where my eyes have become accustomed to looking. When I've had loaners without it since then, it's really annoyed me. Also this may be a Texas thing, but having ventilated seats is a major plus here.

Besides those, there are several features I wouldn't call dealbreakers, but would miss not having: The audio system on the Tech is solid and probably no one would think anything less of it, but the Studio 3D system blows you away if you have 5.1 source music. The surround view of camera and kick sensor on the tailgate are also nice upgrades.. Some of these convenience upgrades are also available as dealer installed accessories too - like the heated steering wheel, fog lights, roof rails, and the kick sensor - that can be added to the Tech package. But the HUD and audio system can't be added to non-Advance trims..

I have no regrets about getting the Advance over the Tech or A-Spec.
GurlRDX (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

From a material/maintenance standpoint, they are basically identical.
You could argue, I suppose, that since the advance has more tech/gadgets that there is potentially more to break/fix long term.

The 'worth it' part is more about what value you get out of the features of the advance.
It's a bundle deal, after all - It's a good chunk of cash and comes with a good amount of tech.
The 360 degree camera, for example, is worth it for the price alone if you drive in a super cramped city.
And I'd argue it's fairly worthless if you live in a rural area with lots of space. (although the front camera is useful since you sit so high up).
Old 07-13-2021 | 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

I love my advance. I echo the above on how great the heads up display is and the 360 camera as well as the audio system and special acoustic glass on the advance. I feel confident I won’t scratch these rims when

I turn on the camera through tight drive thrus.

The 20 inch wheels on the Advance are nice as is the grey wood paneling, and the piping and contrast stitching on the seats.

I’d personally stay away from espresso interior with the grey wood paneling (the only paneling color option) and I love how it looks with my ebony interior since the piping and stitching is also grey and makes the interior flow nicely. But then again I have very particular color lcombo likes and dislikes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Duchesslt:
Bamagirl77 (07-13-2021), GurlRDX (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021 | 11:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
He told me the value in the Advance is worth it. You get heated rear seats, 16 way power seat , Surround Camera, HUD, Touch free lift gate, LED Fog Lights, Heated Steering Wheel, ELS 3D Stereo, and Ventilated Seats. He said you get a few thousand $$ worth of more features for around $2500 difference than the ASPEC. I also learned my lesson with the 2019. I
I learned this lesson with my 2015 RDX too. I bought a base and lived to miss all the extras! And I remember something about the liftgate I detested that they made standard the next year. That was high I bought a fully loaded Pilot. It sucks that its not as smooth a driver as the MDX 2022 is. Sucks even more that I can splurge on the MDX so may have to wait 1-2 yrs for market to stabilize and hopefully snag a used one for a steal. Or maybe buy a new one.... we'll see.

Originally Posted by danny1010
But after having a 2020 RDX Advance, the main thing I wasn't willing to live without in my MDX was the heads-up display (HUD). It's so convenient and where my eyes have become accustomed to looking. When I've had loaners without it since then, it's really annoyed me. Also this may be a Texas thing, but having ventilated seats is a major plus here.

Besides those, there are several features I wouldn't call dealbreakers, but would miss not having: The audio system on the Tech is solid and probably no one would think anything less of it, but the Studio 3D system blows you away if you have 5.1 source music. The surround view of camera and kick sensor on the tailgate are also nice upgrades..
I feel that once you know you know... so makes sense to go with the Advance instead of always wondering what if. I first came across the HUD when test driving the XC90, then when I test drove the MDX Tech and noticed it wasn't available but on the advance I was pretty disappointed. And I noticed the speed limit would come on only when you changed roads or something so at times you'd be unaware of the speed limit. I tend to have a lead foot so the HUD would be pretty worth it to me. The kick sensor too would be a total bonus!

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
The 360 degree camera, for example, is worth it for the price alone if you drive in a super cramped city.
And I'd argue it's fairly worthless if you live in a rural area with lots of space. (although the front camera is useful since you sit so high up).
My city can get cramped during rush hour, and there are certain busy road that are a little tight too so good to know about this feature. Folks here drive like crazy and like to merge without indicating.

Originally Posted by Duchesslt
I love my advance.
I’d personally stay away from espresso interior with the grey wood paneling (the only paneling color option) and I love how it looks with my ebony interior since the piping and stitching is also grey and makes the interior flow nicely. But then again I have very particular color lcombo likes and dislikes.
I see the love! Thanks for the pics!
I noticed the tech ebony interior had a wood looking paneling whereas the grey interior had the grey wood paneling. Is it flipped in the advance? My nonnegotiable is the interior has to be ebony. I like the stitching in your interior! I preferred ebony with the wood look paneling but seeing yours with the grey I think that blends better.
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:48 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
I learned this lesson with my 2015 RDX too. I bought a base and lived to miss all the extras! And I remember something about the liftgate I detested that they made standard the next year. That was high I bought a fully loaded Pilot. It sucks that its not as smooth a driver as the MDX 2022 is. Sucks even more that I can splurge on the MDX so may have to wait 1-2 yrs for market to stabilize and hopefully snag a used one for a steal. Or maybe buy a new one.... we'll see.

I feel that once you know you know... so makes sense to go with the Advance instead of always wondering what if. I first came across the HUD when test driving the XC90, then when I test drove the MDX Tech and noticed it wasn't available but on the advance I was pretty disappointed. And I noticed the speed limit would come on only when you changed roads or something so at times you'd be unaware of the speed limit. I tend to have a lead foot so the HUD would be pretty worth it to me. The kick sensor too would be a total bonus!

My city can get cramped during rush hour, and there are certain busy road that are a little tight too so good to know about this feature. Folks here drive like crazy and like to merge without indicating.

I see the love! Thanks for the pics!
I noticed the tech ebony interior had a wood looking paneling whereas the grey interior had the grey wood paneling. Is it flipped in the advance? My nonnegotiable is the interior has to be ebony. I like the stitching in your interior! I preferred ebony with the wood look paneling but seeing yours with the grey I think that blends better.
From what I understand only the Advance has wood paneling and it’s grey regardless of the interior seat colors.
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:11 AM
Advanced

I currently have a 2019 MDX SH-AWD Tech and with my trade-in value, I was able to swing the Advance. It is on order (June 3) and expected arrival August/September. With that being said, I asked my salesman if going up to the ASPEC was worth it (wanted the ELS 3D stereo and Ventilated Seats). Then, I decided to see the difference between that and the Advance. He told me the value in the Advance is worth it. You get heated rear seats, 16 way power seat , Surround Camera, HUD, Touch free lift gate, LED Fog Lights, Heated Steering Wheel, ELS 3D Stereo, and Ventilated Seats. He said you get a few thousand $$ worth of more features for around $2500 difference than the ASPEC. I also learned my lesson with the 2019. I added LED Fog Lights, a heated steering wheel, all weather mats, and splash guards. By the time I did that, I could have opted for the Advanced. Best of luck with your decision!
Just bought a 2022 Advance and I wanted the heads-up as well as AWD. The options you list probably would cost you well over $10K in an X5. I've had my Advance for two days now and really love it.
GurlRDX (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Only reason not to get the advance is to get the Type-S. It's the best value and makes the TLX incredible where the ASPEC is an appearance package for the most part, and if you really want the appearance you can always buy the sport pedals, steering wheel, etc and retrofit them on vs trying to retrofit a 360 camera!

Last edited by csmeance; 07-14-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
Only reason not to get the advance is to get the Type-S. It's the best value and makes the TLX incredible where the ASPEC is an appearance package for the most part, and if you really want the appearance you can always buy the sport pedals, steering wheel, etc and retrofit them on vs trying to retrofit a 360 camera!
Educate me on what's extra with the Type-S over the Advance...
Old 07-14-2021 | 11:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
Educate me on what's extra with the Type-S over the Advance...
I know it will have a Turbo V6 with 355HP (I think), msssaging seats, and maybe more ambient lighting. I am not sure what else will be on there. Although the look of the Type S is pretty sweet, the Advance is plenty SUV me. Hopefully others can give you the rest of the differences.
Old 07-15-2021 | 05:59 AM
mrgold35

Something to plan for with the Adv MDXs with HUD, I would double-check your insurance coverage for glass replacement. Some insurance companies cover 100%, or at your deductible, or you need to purchase special windshield protection coverage, and/or raise your rates after 1-2 replacements. It is almost $3500 for the RLX hybrid with HUD to replace with OEM glass and calibrate the Acurawatch system if you don't have the right coverage. Non-OEM glass or OEM glass from the Base/tech +22 MDX may not work because it might display the HUD clearly.
papachan (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Something to plan for with the Adv MDXs with HUD, I would double-check your insurance coverage for glass replacement. Some insurance companies cover 100%, or at your deductible, or you need to purchase special windshield protection coverage, and/or raise your rates after 1-2 replacements. It is almost $3500 for the RLX hybrid with HUD to replace with OEM glass and calibrate the Acurawatch system if you don't have the right coverage. Non-OEM glass or OEM glass from the Base/tech +22 MDX may not work because it might display the HUD clearly.
That is funny that you mentioned this. When I went to talk to my salesman about upgrading my 2019, he told me to ask if I have windshield replacement coverage on my MDX. He said it is about $1,000 to replace the one in my 2019. He said when he added on for his truck, it was about $14 for 6 months. I will definitely check in to it now so I will be covered when my '22 comes in. Thanks for the heads-up (no pun intended).
mrgold35 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 02:23 PM
6G TLX-S

I know it will have a Turbo V6 with 355HP (I think), msssaging seats, and maybe more ambient lighting. I am not sure what else will be on there. Although the look of the Type S is pretty sweet, the Advance is plenty SUV me. Hopefully others can give you the rest of the differences.
Bright rad Brembo front brake calipers, and likely sport tuned adjustable damper system on the Type-S..
Old 07-15-2021 | 03:25 PM
mrgold35

I've heard also a 25 speaker 1000 watt Signature 3D ELS upgrade over the Adv MDX. Not sure if the MDX will have air, electronic dampers, or sport tuned suspension?
Old 07-17-2021 | 11:27 AM
Intermediate

From a driving/performance standpoint, there isn't much difference (assuming you're comparing SH-AWD models in both trims). But after having a 2020 RDX Advance, the main thing I wasn't willing to live without in my MDX was the heads-up display (HUD). It's so convenient and where my eyes have become accustomed to looking. When I've had loaners without it since then, it's really annoyed me. Also this may be a Texas thing, but having ventilated seats is a major plus here.

Besides those, there are several features I wouldn't call dealbreakers, but would miss not having: The audio system on the Tech is solid and probably no one would think anything less of it, but the Studio 3D system blows you away if you have 5.1 source music. The surround view of camera and kick sensor on the tailgate are also nice upgrades.. Some of these convenience upgrades are also available as dealer installed accessories too - like the heated steering wheel, fog lights, roof rails, and the kick sensor - that can be added to the Tech package. But the HUD and audio system can't be added to non-Advance trims..

I have no regrets about getting the Advance over the Tech or A-Spec.
oh how I miss heads up display LOL I went from a Mazda CX-9 with HUD to a '19 RDX and the advance was out of the budget. I fell in love with the car, so I settled for the tech. upgraded to the MDX/tech since I was used to not having the heads up display. the digital speedo on the MDX makes up for it...I HATED the speedo on the RDX, no digital, only 10 MPH increments. it really annoyed the crap outta me 😂😂
Old 07-18-2021 | 09:05 AM
Advanced

. Some of these convenience upgrades are also available as dealer installed accessories too - like the heated steering wheel, fog lights, roof rails, and the kick sensor - that can be added to the Tech package. But the HUD and audio system can't be added to non-Advance trims..

Do you know if the 360 camera can be added as a dealer installed accessory (on a SH-AWD Tech)? That was the only thing that impressed us on the Advance features over the Tech. I could not find anything specific on the Acura site or elsewhere confirming if it could.
Old 07-18-2021 | 12:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by bugsnest
Do you know if the 360 camera can be added as a dealer installed accessory (on a SH-AWD Tech)? That was the only thing that impressed us on the Advance features over the Tech. I could not find anything specific on the Acura site or elsewhere confirming if it could.
No, the 360 camera is not a dealer installed accessory, and it will be very, very expensive and time consuming to retrofit one using factory parts.
Old 07-18-2021 | 04:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No, the 360 camera is not a dealer installed accessory, and it will be very, very expensive and time consuming to retrofit one using factory parts.
thanks.