http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....place=4#Survey
Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
05TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After looking at the survey, those tires are really not good for winter snow
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No HP AS tire will be good in snow of any signifigant accumulation. Best to get a dedicated snow for Winter.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Fresher the Better

And if you're considering dedicated snow tires, the newest (and probably best) deep-snow tire will be the yet-to-be-released Michelin X-Ice Xi2:

Should be better performance than last-year's top Blizzak WS-60.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLAwesome
And if you're considering dedicated snow tires, the newest (and probably best) deep-snow tire will be the yet-to-be-released Michelin X-Ice Xi2:

side siping looks quite aggressive!-- thanks for all replies. im looking for the best compromise tire..probably going with the conti. extremes or eagle f1 a/s...
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Fresher the Better

For snow traction, the Extreme's will be superior to the F1s. However, please check out the brand-spankin' new Eagle GTs:

Goodyear Eagle GT
Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Advanced

For snow traction, the Extreme's will be superior to the F1s. However, please check out the brand-spankin' new Eagle GTs:

Goodyear Eagle GT
I tried to get some feedback on them via the forum, but no one knows anything{yet]...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks, i need to get some snow tires/rims before it falls this year i know the Blizzaks were pretty good, but this gives me an option.

btw, is it best to leave the snow tires on all winter, or switch out only when it snows hard? i ask because i am running, and would rather run, all seasons for most the year, they just dont work well when it snows 12" in an afternoon... but, i am not sure how the snow tires wear and i dont want to have to replace them too often because i drove on them too much.

thanks!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
05TL

Originally Posted by blkaspec
thanks, i need to get some snow tires/rims before it falls this year i know the Blizzaks were pretty good, but this gives me an option.

btw, is it best to leave the snow tires on all winter, or switch out only when it snows hard? i ask because i am running, and would rather run, all seasons for most the year, they just dont work well when it snows 12" in an afternoon... but, i am not sure how the snow tires wear and i dont want to have to replace them too often because i drove on them too much.

thanks!
It depends on how much snow you get in your part of town...in montreal city dedicated snow tires are a must, we go through alot of snow/ice in winter. I always put my winter tires towards the end of autumn, usually start of november.

You should always put them on prior to the 1st snow storm imo.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Fresher the Better

Summer tires should be switched when the ambient temps are consistently below 40-F. This is because for the most part, the performance of summer tires degrades at that point.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Full of water...

Two questions:

1. How many miles can one expect from a pair of snow tires?

2. what is the optimal rim/tire size for my car? i was thinking about going 17", but what it be better to go smaller?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Full of water...

Also, is it worth buying the road hazard warranty if offered...like is on Tirerack?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Fresher the Better

Responses to your questions (in no particular order)

I believe the optional road-hazard is completely worth it from DiscountTireDirect.com, but I haven't had any experience with tirerack's warranty service. Whenever possible, I buy from Discounttire because I know they stand behind their road-hazard warranty no questions asked.

I don't know about miles, but snow tires traditionally do not last too long. I've gotten three seasons out of my snow tires, which is average. The newest Michelin X-Ice Xi-2 supposedly lasts longer, you may be able to get four seasons.

While some companies suggest downsizing (also called a -1 conversion), I see no reason with today's technology tires to downsize. I would go with the OE size, which will give you a good balance of dry /wet handling and snow traction.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Yuo should easily get 4 seasons out of a set of snow tires. The problem is that people put them on too soon before and leave them on too late after Winter. As mentioned, Winter tires work best in cold temps with snow and ice.....constant dry pavement contact wears them out prematurely.

As far as road hazard warrantees, I just stick with the manufacturer's warranty. Any extra on top of that is frivilous, IMO as they are typically pro-rated anyway.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Full of water...

thanks all for the responses!!! that helps a lot.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by blkaspec
thanks all for the responses!!! that helps a lot.
Be even better if they were for the[op} question.. cmon guys--its hard enough to post twice with the same question without having the moderators close your thread! hijacked!! lol
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by 05tlguy
Be even better if they were for the[op} question.. cmon guys--its hard enough to post twice with the same question without having the moderators close your thread! hijacked!! lol

sorry buddy i will start my own...
Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Fresher the Better

Now now, let's all group hug :gheyhug:

Getting back to your topic, a co-worker just got the Eagle GTs. The photos don't do them justice -- they look fantastic. The tread is pretty aggressive.

First of all, the wavy circumferential groove is very wide-- this tire should have awesome wet-handling. The compound feels soft, so I'm worried about treadwear but it should be plenty sticky. The outermost treadblocks aren't as large as I had hoped, but my friend said the car corners much better than his prior tires. Due to the overall tread design and siping, this tire should definitely provide better snow and ice traction than any UHP A/S Yoko has to offer, including the S4.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced

Now now, let's all group hug :gheyhug:

Getting back to your topic, a co-worker just got the Eagle GTs. The photos don't do them justice -- they look fantastic. The tread is pretty aggressive.

First of all, the wavy circumferential groove is very wide-- this tire should have awesome wet-handling. The compound feels soft, so I'm worried about treadwear but it should be plenty sticky. The outermost treadblocks aren't as large as I had hoped, but my friend said the car corners much better than his prior tires. Due to the overall tread design and siping, this tire should definitely provide better snow and ice traction than any UHP A/S Yoko has to offer, including the S4.
Thanks--i guess we'll have to wait until winter to see if snow traction is any good--im gonna need tires before then so im trying to decide between the uhp tires rated best for snow{ wifeys car}--prob. contin. extreme .
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
The Darker the berry....

I live in NYC and just got the yokos a few weeks ago. We don't normally get a foot of snow here but it is possible and I think the yokos will be just fine. If it gets really bad I either stay home or take my MDX which also has all season tires mounted. As for current conditions, the yokos are great.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Fresher the Better

Thanks--i guess we'll have to wait until winter to see if snow traction is any good--im gonna need tires before then so im trying to decide between the uhp tires rated best for snow{ wifeys car}--prob. contin. extreme .
You didn't mention it was your wife's car. Get her these... perfect for the most wintery conditions, but so good in the wet, hopefully she'll never have to use it for the snow!

(Yeah, I'm going through a divorce)...
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced

You didn't mention it was your wife's car. Get her these... perfect for the most wintery conditions, but so good in the wet, hopefully she'll never have to use it for the snow!

(Yeah, I'm going through a divorce)...
thats funny as shit.. i showed her the picture of the tires and she didnt have any clue why they wouldnt be good in snow!...
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jetblakTL
I live in NYC and just got the yokos a few weeks ago. We don't normally get a foot of snow here but it is possible and I think the yokos will be just fine. If it gets really bad I either stay home or take my MDX which also has all season tires mounted. As for current conditions, the yokos are great.
what size did you go with? any pics possible? i know they are WAY wider than oem with even the stock 235 size..
Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the 245/40/18 W4S and they are quite a bit wider than other tires of the same size due to the square should profile. A little over an inch wider than the Michelin Pilot Sport AS that I was looking at....I'll snap some pix this weekend.