WTF! TL-S + Snow = RWD performance??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 TL-S with the "sport tires" suck... even on dry pavement when i gun it at like 40 with warmed up tires they just start slipping... cant wait to get rims so i can also get some nice tires that'll teach the OEM's a thing or two about traction
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ . on the LIE i distinctively remember a 911, a CLK500 cabrio and an E46 M3.. bunch of other cars as well, but those stood out in my mind

i mean, what ass is gonna drive a 911 in this weather??
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^^ . on the LIE i distinctively remember a 911, a CLK500 cabrio and an E46 M3.. bunch of other cars as well, but those stood out in my mind

i mean, what ass is gonna drive a 911 in this weather??
all the stupid asses that give their daughters SL500's and M3's for their Senior year in High school..... OH WAIT, that's Long Island.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
So, my 06 TL was driven in snow blizzards and drove like a FWD car should even with my SUMMER UHP tires on it !!! minimal slipping, great traction and good stability on the road...
Which summer tires are these? When I had Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires, even a 1/2" snow would render the tires into rolling ice-cubes. Heck, even just 40 degree weather with dew on the pavement, turned em' into rolling ice cubes.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 AM
4th Gear

You're blaming the tires, but could it be something else?

You guys keep blaming your tires, but it could be two other reasons.

1) 90% of the posts have been from people in the New England area. So it could possibly be that the CT, NJ, NY areas suck in maintaining their roads after a snowfall. OR

2) It could be that the drivers in the CT, NJ, NY don't know how to drive in snow. We don't have AWD. Even a set of Blizzaks won't save a lousy driver in the snow.

I have a TL-S with the stock Michelins and I've only been living in wintery Minneapolis for a couple years, so don't question whether or not I have snow driving experience. Honestly, I'm fine. I don't fishtail. And my friends consider me an aggressive driver. My tires are fine, maybe its Minnesota or maybe its safe driving in the snow.

Don't get mad CT, NJ, NY drivers with what I said, just slow down. Summer will be here soon. Drive carefully.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if you read on the previous page, this snow fall literally cought NYC WITH THEIR PANTS DOWN

I was out and about all day and didn't see not 1 snow plow/salter

The stock tires do suck, even with proper psi and fully warmed up on a 90 degree day I wasn't able to stop them from sticking, the problem with these stock tires is michellin gave honda a wholesale price they couldn't refuse

and it is also funny how I saw a benz 2 door sl something, he was on the far right lane on the grand central, I looked over at my girl and asked her if she wanted to see someone sideways, he got sideways the very second she looked over, held it don't know how but he is 1 lucky dude
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
04 Tl

I have an 04 TL 6 speed with toyo proxes...car was rock solid driving in the ice and snow. Its your tires...plus you have to know how to drive in snow. Keep it in the 40-45 mph range on the highways and 25-35 on the slower roads.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
NPB TL FTW

what a horrible system!
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-two-cl-s-2001-rims-one-tire-149033/#post1960885
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
i had 05 TSX before the 07 TL-S. TL-S does slip around way way more on snowy/icy roads compared to my old ride. never had any problem with my TSX before.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rajahfl
You guys keep blaming your tires, but it could be two other reasons.

1) 90% of the posts have been from people in the New England area. So it could possibly be that the CT, NJ, NY areas suck in maintaining their roads after a snowfall. OR

2) It could be that the drivers in the CT, NJ, NY don't know how to drive in snow. We don't have AWD. Even a set of Blizzaks won't save a lousy driver in the snow.

I have a TL-S with the stock Michelins and I've only been living in wintery Minneapolis for a couple years, so don't question whether or not I have snow driving experience. Honestly, I'm fine. I don't fishtail. And my friends consider me an aggressive driver. My tires are fine, maybe its Minnesota or maybe its safe driving in the snow.

Don't get mad CT, NJ, NY drivers with what I said, just slow down. Summer will be here soon. Drive carefully.

Bro, please don't compare your metropolitan area to NY/NJ/CT...

You do NOT brake as much as we do, as you do not have as much morons on the roads as we do, I've seen and missed a few accidents last night because some people really should stay home or use public transit. (just picture 9 million drivers on the road just in NYC, imagine the odds of an accident)

When it comes to emergency snow maneuvering TL is not a car for that, thus the whole point of this thread. Your or my experience unfortunately sometimes is not enough. In regards to the stock tires, these are the only things keeping you on the road, obviously upgrading them will yield better results. But, I think my stock tires did beautifully yesterday and today.

Everyone be safe, drive slow, spring is coming
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To me this car handles beautifully compared to when I was in college upstate, I drove my roommate's Renault Alliance in a blizzard.

The roads here are horrible compared to other metro areas, but that because there are so many trucks coming through this area.
NYC wasn't so bad, but Nassau was horrendous, they never salt or plow, they don't have any $$$.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol nassau has no money cuz they always do stupid shit and the politicians are corrupt as fuck!

hehe, but yea

chicago traffic just SUCKS, this is coming from a person that drives to chicago from saint louis every year a few times for the past 4 years.

i've driven in NY since i was 14 (yea we all went through a phase) so when you break it down, i've had the same amount of time in both areas

honestly, until you've come and tried driving around any of the major areas, Flushing...the city, or anywhere near the QBB.....you ain't seen nothing...on top of that you got retarded SUV mom's on LI who drive their Escalade like they botox'd their pupils by accident or something

in Chicago, I'd say any traffic frustration is due mostly to the messed up road organization. I only goto chicago cuz it's the closest city i'm willing to drive to for vacation with the girl. otherwise honestly, Chicago doesn't have BAD drivers, they have mediocre drivers stuck on a fucked up highway/inter-city/freeway system. Chicago is the only city where i'm driving pretty close to the center of the city and i get on a 5 lane 1 way inter-city freeway and i have to cross ever 5 lanes in a 1/4 mile to get to my ramp.

new york? we have great roads imo (ppl who drive in NY...you have no fucking idea...come to St. Louis the roads here are like shit...and the road paint isnt even reflective...and there are no road lights at night) but as technoking said....we have 9 million drivers...

now just imagine, 1 million of those drivers are PROBABLY asian women... god....driving around Queens is like playing frogger, Chinese moms in there Benz's driving like there's no one else on the road, korean mom's in their X5's talkin on the cell phone and putting make up on at the same time....i've still yet to figure out how they drive...lol.. oh and my favorite

the classic hispanic or asian dude that stands on the side of the street waiting for a nice car to pass by to get "hit" and then sue. that's always been a personal favorite

anyway long rant short....Chi-town and NYC driving is extremely different.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I would chime in again........it was 73 degrees here yesterday, and it's gonna be 70 today. I think I'm gonna run my CBP Type S over to the golf course for 18 holes. Really sorry for all of you living in that cold/snowy weather..........well gotta go, it's too beautiful out to sit inside!! -

Anyways, the stock Michelins don't grip for S#@T.........$255 a piece??? What a scam.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I have Toyo Proxes 4 on as well. Don't know much about tires but.. these Summer tires suck ass in Winter, here in Montreal. Earlier today while driving to school I got stuck. Had to rock my way out of all these roads and stops. Ended up driving back, leaving the car there and walked to school in the snow.
Thinking of picking up a set of Winter tires. Anyone know which tire I should get and in which size? In Montreal we can get a lot of snow... so I'd need to able to get as much traction as possible while at the stopsign/redlight.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
2010 CBP SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 08-TLS on Monday and yesterday it took me 7 hours to drive home because a winter storm pretty much made driving a white-out and they closed all the roads were I live. So after finally getting home I got stuck! On the roads the car handled like a champ but once in the unplowed subdivision I was all over the place.

Has anyone put snow tires on their Type-S, and if so what kind?