Worst luck...3 flat tires due to pot holes in the past month...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Worst luck...3 flat tires due to pot holes in the past month...

i just got back from changing another tire on the side of the road just outside of Newark airport...in the rain...hit another pot-hole....this will be the 3rd time this has happened in the past month...all 3 times tire was ruined...

no i am not a crazy driver. no i wasn't going fast...yes i was paying attention to where i was driving...2 of the times it happened at night in the rain...anyone that lives in Northern NJ can vouch for the horrible roads and potholes in the area...i am not a stupid driver...i spent alot of money on these rims and tires...i have had these rims and tires for a year exactly with no issues until these past month...

I have brand new top of the line Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/40ZR18's wrapped on the ASPECS...the tire that i blew out tonight is brand new...just replaced about 2 weeks ago from one of the other blowouts...i am fortunate that these tires came with a free road hazard warranty so i am getting the tires replaced for free...i should get the tire from tonight replaced for free as well

i am soo mad that i am thinking about getting rid of the ASPECs and going back to stock...i am sick of dealing with this crap....i sold my stock rims when i purchased the ASPECS...

what should i do?? i love these rims and i do not want to get rid of them, but i cannot keep dealing with this...

need advice from you guys....what would you do in this situation

and please dont tell me to drive better...that is not the issue
Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the DWS has a softer than normal sidewall and may be the reason why you keeping of having the flat tires. However the upside is that they absorb the energy and your rim stays in good shape and doesn't get bent.

In all honesty, you should send a certified letter to the New Jersey DOT and show them what has happened and in which areas. They won't reimburse you because you got new tires through the road hazard plan, but the may tend to some of the severe pot holes.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry...hope you don't get anymore in a long time.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
road hazard protection. tire rack offers it
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Sorry...hope you don't get anymore in a long time.
agreed.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
the DWS has a softer than normal sidewall and may be the reason why you keeping of having the flat tires. However the upside is that they absorb the energy and your rim stays in good shape and doesn't get bent.

In all honesty, you should send a certified letter to the New Jersey DOT and show them what has happened and in which areas. They won't reimburse you because you got new tires through the road hazard plan, but the may tend to some of the severe pot holes.
the soft sidewalls are prob what is causing them to blow out on the regular ... good thing u got the road hazard!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
just keep the aspecs since you have road hazard coverage. shit happens. the reality of inconvenience and annoyance of the potholes eating you tires can get old. be thankful it wasn't a wheel.

i had two screws in my tires in 3 weeks last summer. annoyed to have to deal with it, but the reality of urban, construction is everywhere, can't do anything about it are the hazards of driving. coupons are great for these BTW, F-R-E-E tire repair, saved $40 each time.

so while it sucks right now to deal with it (time, inconvenience, annoyance, etc)...it happens. get the new tire, and now you'll be really aware of the tire eating potholes in the area you flatted so hopefully you'll avoid them all together. go...enjoy your ride.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I feel your pain man. I put on my A-Spec wheels and exactly 2 weeks later I hit a monster pothole on 287 and blew a bubble in the sidewall of my tire. I bought the wheels/tires used from another member so I had no coverage, and the tires (Yoko ES100) are discontinued! I managed to find one tire so it is only going to end up costing me $160, but it sucks. I'll be submitting a claim to the state but I'm not holding my breath.

I definitely think selling the stock 17's was your mistake. I plan on putting those back on for the winter months, and next year I won't put on the 18's until the potholes are fixed after the winter (April perhaps). Although you're still finding potholes and its mid-May.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Racer

I drive by the airport every day (Exit 13A to 81 to 1/9 to 21 to Newark), and I hate those roads. I'm on stock everything, but thinking of a slight drop soon. +1 on that certified letter.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Racer

thanks guys... i guess i should clarify that I did not purchase the road hazard on the tires...but that the tires come with a free 1 year road hazard warrenty...which is up any day now...so from now on, i am sh*t out of luck if i hit any other potholes...

i guess i will have to be extra careful from now on!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by JORTS
thanks guys... i guess i should clarify that I did not purchase the road hazard on the tires...but that the tires come with a free 1 year road hazard warrenty...which is up any day now...so from now on, i am sh*t out of luck if i hit any other potholes...

ah, now you reaction makes a little more sense. still sucks nonetheless. time to be super paranoid about where you drive now and complain like crazy to the city about the freakin' potholes!! not sure how responsive they are in NJ, but in No. VA...depending on where it is...it'll usually get filled right away.

no other way to get where you are going to avoid the tire eater??
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sucks man. This pothole season seems to be the worst I can remember and state funds for road repairs aren't what they have been in the past. Maybe it's time to move into a truck or jeep.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
feel your pain...

I live in SoCal and just switched to a-specs from 19" staggered. The difference was that I had to replace 6 rims in 4 years because the rims cracked or got bent... I'm hoping for better luck with the 18".
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts

you think? You should have figured that out after the first misfortune you had
Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm The Nickel City Kid.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My major tire distributor for the dealership i work at, are actually going to do a major ride and drive review of the DWS tire. They get back thursday. So, I can let you know that they say.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what tire pressure are you running? Have you checked with Continental to see what they recommend for PSI on your vehicle with those size tires? I'm running 19's with Michelin tires.....I was very surprised at the tire pressure Michelin recommmeded for my 245/35/19 tires.....50 in the front...45 in the rear. I run a little less then that but was running 36 in rear when I hit a pot hole and took out my new rim and tire. maybe more PSI might help you.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Racer

I busted another tire on wednesday. Another pothole. This is getting old. The tire that is busted is the brand new tire that was installed less then a month ago. I spoke to contiential, they are going to replace it again for free since the tire is basically brand new.

MRP, thanks for the heads up on the tire pressure. I will look into that. Any other ideas or suggestions for me that will help?

I am not a crazy driver. I was driving to work and had to change the tire in my slacks at 745am.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Man, you are having some serious bad luck, don't know what to say. Check your psi, I'm running 35 all around on the DWS
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
I'm currently living in Jersey City and this EXACT thing happened to me back in Feb. I also have the Continental ExtremeContacts on stock rims.

2 of my tires blew out in Jersey and 1 in the Bronx. I've concluded that our tires blew out because of the soft sidewell.

Good luck bro.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ArthurL
I'm currently living in Jersey City and this EXACT thing happened to me back in Feb. I also have the Continental ExtremeContacts on stock rims.

2 of my tires blew out in Jersey and 1 in the Bronx. I've concluded that our tires blew out because of the soft sidewell.

Good luck bro.
Wow... Glad I am not alone I guess? 2 of mine were busted in JC as well. One in Newark and the last on RT 3 near Clifton commons. What size continental tires do you have? Did u replace the busted tires with the same ones again?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Wow... Glad I am not alone I guess? 2 of mine were busted in JC as well. One in Newark and the last on RT 3 near Clifton commons. What size continental tires do you have? Did u replace the busted tires with the same ones again?
What PSI are you running in your tires. With such a soft sidewall and this happening all the time you should be running at least 38 PSI COLD
Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
What PSI are you running in your tires. With such a soft sidewall and this happening all the time you should be running at least 38 PSI COLD
i had the tire place put the PSI at 38/39 on all 4 tires on Friday when i had this tire replaced....previously they were all set at 35...

when you say COLD, what do you mean? i know that the pressure changes when it is hot outside.. they installed the tire and put set the PSI inside the shop out of the sun...the PSI is still reading this amount on the TPMS system...should i just keep an eye on the TPMS system to make sure the PSI is always around 38??