Wheel Weights. No, no, the weights INSIDE the wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Wheel Weights. No, no, the weights INSIDE the wheel!

As some of you may know, there are weights glued to the inside of your wheels (as shown below)...

I've researched it a bit and there's a "heavy spot" to each wheel and when wheel weights are placed on the opposite side of that heavy spot, vibration while driving is reduced and such. I just had my 18x8.5 A-Specs powdercoated and the original wheel weights were taken off and thrown out.

My questions are...

-Would it be disastrous if I didn't put any wheel weights back on? Are they really THAT crucial?

and if the answer to ^that^ question is yes, then...

-How many (#) weights are on each A-Spec wheel? And how much does each individual weight weigh?

And yes I searched. The results usually brought up threads that talked about the actual weight of the wheel, not about the wheel weights ON the wheel. So don't give me any shit about making a thread
Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you know about getting wheels balanced right? that's when they figure out where to put the weights on to reduce vibration, when they spin it on the balancing machine to see where the heavy spots on the wheels are.

when u got the wheels powdercoated didn't they take the tires off? didn't they rebalance the wheels when they put the tires back on? if they didn't, then you need to take the wheels and pay to have them balanced.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by wasupdog
you know about getting wheels balanced right? that's when they figure out where to put the weights on to reduce vibration, when they spin it on the balancing machine to see where the heavy spots on the wheels are.

when u got the wheels powdercoated didn't they take the tires off? didn't they rebalance the wheels when they put the tires back on? if they didn't, then you need to take the wheels and pay to have them balanced.
Yeah the tires and wheels were separated before I took the wheels to be powdercoated. I've had them sitting my garage for a week now and I'm taking them tomorrow to have the tires remounted to them. They will be mounting them and balancing them all at once.

So when getting my wheels balanced tomorrow morning they will figure out the heavy spots and put the wheel weights on accordingly?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
My Garage not

yea, that's when they will put weights back on the wheels. that's why signs at shops and the price always reads "mount AND balance." it doesn't make sense to get tires mounted and not have them balanced at the same time, right?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM

I agree. I just wasn't aware that adding weights to the wheel was part of "balancing" the tires. I figured that would be a whole other operation.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I think it only applies for cars with tpms sensors. You have the sensor on one side and weights on the other to balance out the rotation. Each weight is 1.4 oz.

And i remember when i bought the volks it had weights on it, then when i had tires installed i think the guys took off the weights and didnt put it back and when i was on a long trip the wheels vibrated like crazy.

Last edited by LTxArucAx60; 03-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
they take the weights off every time when you take the tires off and mount the other tires on. If they don't, they aren't doing their job and your wheels are gonna be off balance.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 AM
My Garage not

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
I think it only applies for cars with tpms sensors. You have the sensor on one side and weights on the other to balance out the rotation. Each weight is 1.4 oz.

And i remember when i bought the volks it had weights on it, then when i had tires installed i think the guys took off the weights and didnt put it back and when i was on a long trip the wheels vibrated like crazy.
it doesn't have anything to do with the tpms sensors, all wheels get, or should be, balanced when the tires are put on.

the wheels weights aren't glued on, it's basically just sticky double sided tape.

wheels and tires both have light and heavy spots. the red dot on a tire indicates the heavy spot and the yellow is the light spot. supposedly, tire installers are supposed to match up the light and heavy spots on the wheels and tires to try and get it as balanced as they can before it's put on a balancing machine to see where to add the weights. makes sense for the tires because they're not really perfectly round, although i don't know how they are supposed to tell where the light and heavy spots of the wheels are
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
First I'd like to mention that when the center hole in the wheel is compromised by chrome plating or powder coating etc, I wouldn't use the cone to balance the wheels. By having the shop use the lug hole adapter you'll be certain of getting it done properly as the wheel will be centered on the machine.

Acura has a raised boss on the stock OE wheels opposite the TPMS sensor to compensate for the heavier weight. Also, the tire marking is of little significance on used or wheels that have beeen altered in any way. The Hunter Road Force machine is the way to go.

The balancing machine will instruct the user as to the specific location as well as the amount of weight to be used. Most will set the machine to indicate the weight and location needed just behind the outer spokes and also on the inside of the wheel. Depending on the color of the powder coating you can always paint the weights the same shade to make them less obvious, or have the operator set the machine to calculate and only show the location and amount to be used on the inside of the wheel. This is one way of not having the weights seen from the outside looking in so to speak, but it isn't always as accurate as splitting the weights.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 AM

I just got back from dropping off my wheels at the shop.

My A-Specs are the originals from 2004 and they didn't have TMPS back then.

Sounds like the weights are crucial.

Originally Posted by myron
they take the weights off every time when you take the tires off and mount the other tires on. If they don't, they aren't doing their job and your wheels are gonna be off balance.
Every time I got new wheels on the A-Specs, the shop never put new wheel weights on and I know for fact that two of the wheels were missing weights totally.

Originally Posted by wasupdog
it doesn't have anything to do with the tpms sensors, all wheels get, or should be, balanced when the tires are put on.

the wheels weights aren't glued on, it's basically just sticky double sided tape.

wheels and tires both have light and heavy spots. the red dot on a tire indicates the heavy spot and the yellow is the light spot. supposedly, tire installers are supposed to match up the light and heavy spots on the wheels and tires to try and get it as balanced as they can before it's put on a balancing machine to see where to add the weights. makes sense for the tires because they're not really perfectly round, although i don't know how they are supposed to tell where the light and heavy spots of the wheels are
Good information to know! Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by Turbonut
First I'd like to mention that when the center hole in the wheel is compromised by chrome plating or powder coating etc, I wouldn't use the cone to balance the wheels. By having the shop use the lug hole adapter you'll be certain of getting it done properly as the wheel will be centered on the machine.

Acura has a raised boss on the stock OE wheels opposite the TPMS sensor to compensate for the heavier weight. Also, the tire marking is of little significance on used or wheels that have beeen altered in any way. The Hunter Road Force machine is the way to go.

The balancing machine will instruct the user as to the specific location as well as the amount of weight to be used. Most will set the machine to indicate the weight and location needed just behind the outer spokes and also on the inside of the wheel. Depending on the color of the powder coating you can always paint the weights the same shade to make them less obvious, or have the operator set the machine to calculate and only show the location and amount to be used on the inside of the wheel. This is one way of not having the weights seen from the outside looking in so to speak, but it isn't always as accurate as splitting the weights.
I didn't ask what kind of balancing machine they had. Maybe I should have read this thread before I went

Keep in mind that I don't have the TMPS sensors with my wheels and tires. The 2004 TL didn't have that option when it was new.

I'm not worried about the location or color of the weights, I just want them to be put on the wheels properly to reduce as much vibration as possible.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out! I'm still open to hearing your opinions and suggestions. I'll (hopefully) post pictures of the wheels/tires/weights whenever I pick them up.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
sounds weird to me that some wheels didn't have weights and that your wheels were balanced. Maybe you just didn't notice the weights as sometimes they are close to the face of the wheels and sometimes the back of the wheel.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
My A-Specs are the originals from 2004 and they didn't have TMPS back then.
Keep in mind that I don't have the TMPS sensors with my wheels and tires. The 2004 TL didn't have that option when it was new.
I also have an '04, and my response to the TPMS sensors was directed to the following post:

Good luck and if you notice any vibration in the 65/80 range take them back and have them redone using the lug adapter.

sounds weird to me that some wheels didn't have weights and that your wheels were balanced. Maybe you just didn't notice the weights as sometimes they are close to the face of the wheels and sometimes the back of the wheel.
Very, very unusual that a tire/wheel combination doesn't need any weight when balancing, but it does happen once in a great while, but 2 out of 4 not needing wheights, possible but no probable.

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-17-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Oh no, the 2 or 3 wheels didn't have weights whatsoever. Some leftover residue from where the weights where was still on the inside of the wheel when I took them to be powdercoated.

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I also have an '04, and my response to the TPMS sensors was directed to the following post:

Good luck and if you notice any vibration in the 65/80 range take them back and have them redone using the lug adapter.

Very, very unusual that a tire/wheel combination doesn't need any weight when balancing, but it does happen once in a great while, but 2 out of 4 not needing wheights, possible but no probable.
Gotcha! Thank you sir for your insight! As you can see, I'm no wheel/tire expert.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly at the shop this morning! I have class from 9:30-10:45 and I should be picking up the wheels between 11 and 12!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Hey Tyler...same concept as the weights they include with ceiling fans...with such high rotations, you're bound to notice little imperfections in weight distribution (throw some sneakers in your washing machine on one side ). The weights even that out. If you had no weights...the tire ended up being perfectly balanced....

...or the machine they used hadn't been calibrated etc.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have balanced tires before and sometimes very few but sometimes you dont require a weight it balances out. but you always should start with fresh weights