Wheel Rim repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003 | 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wheel Rim repair

Has anyone ever sent their rims somewhere to be trued again? I need to get my rims fixed and right now replacement is not an option.

Where?

How much?

Was your ride smooth afterwards?

Was the paint matched?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2003 | 07:50 PM
Drifting

i had a 17" ssr gpo rim repaired for a bent lip at www.truwheel.com down here in socal. this wheel normally has a polished lip with a silver painted mesh face. the wheel was repaired really well and it did spin true. but of course, the polishing is not as nice as from the factory so there were more polishing marks on the surface and it looked much shiner than the others. then there was the face...although nothing was wrong with it, they repainted it probably because they scratched it or more likely, the face was not removed (it is a multi-piece wheel) so it incurred some physical or heat damage. the paint color wasn't off by much, but it should have never been painted. they charge basically ~$125 as long as the damage can be repaired.

i think it would help if you listed your location and wheel...
Old 06-03-2003 | 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Really depends on the type of wheel, and where the damage is (i.e. inner or outer lip)
Old 06-03-2003 | 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

This place in PA does great work. Highly recommended.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I dont even know how they got bent. May have been cause of the really bad camber. I never hit the curb or pot holes. Had some spacing issues that was temporarily solved by generic spacers. The wheels would lossen then wooble. I think they bent that way. Now they are fitted correctly but the damage is done. My ride has some noticable vibs and the dealers all say the rims are bent. I am looking to fix them ASAP since I cant swing new ones at the moment.

Can you tell them not to paint the rim or is it necessary in the process?
Old 06-04-2003 | 10:48 AM
Instructor

Wheel collision in PA sucks in my opinion. They cracked one of my rims while repairing it, then instead of replacing it at their cost they made me buy a new one. Also, they wouldn't repair the other wheel and had me buy another new wheel. To my dismay, they bought them from Tire Rack and charged me more than I could buy them direct. Only after a letter to the BBB did they give me an extra wheel for free. Their customer service manager was extremely rude and really didn't act like he gave a crap that they well messing up. I guess only after the owner got the letter I wrote to the BBB, which included emails where they admitted to cracking the rim, did the manager kiss my ass. I don't reccomend them, but thats just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2003 | 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

These arent factory Rims and I am woried about craftsmanship. Now I am confused on what to do. I was going to go with wheelcollision but now I dont know. Anyone else have an experience?
Old 06-13-2003 | 01:21 AM
Intermediate

Well I just bent my wheel pretty bad too so I sent them in to Wheels America. They said they couldn't repair it so I called my friend at the Blitz distributor here in Anaheim where I bought my wheels and he reccomended a place by them called Custom Wheel something. I emailed them some pictures of my wheel and they said they can repair it. I'll let you know how it turns out. They come pretty highly reccomended by several of the guys at Blitz. My wheel's a Technospeed Z2 by the way.