Wheel Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Help

Hi: First post here, thanks for letting me join the community.

I just purchased an 05 TL, a manual with Brembo brakes. With no service records included, I had an initial inspection done at a local dealer. I had experienced some vibration at higher speeds...they told me that both front rims were severely bent, and the rears were also bad but fixable. From what I can tell, my current wheels are the standard OEMs.

I was looking to buy a used set of wheels/tires from an 07 anyway, but from what I've been reading, they may not fit on my car. I am also interested in aftermarket Hollanders, #71762...would they fit, and are they of decent quality? Also, are Brembos required with a MT, or would regular brakes be OK to install?

I'd appreciate any help.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
your first paragraph was awesome and easily understandable.

you lost me at the 2nd paragraph.
What wheels were you thinking, and why would they not fit?
2nd, i looked up hollanders and that's a replica of the 07-08 wheels. so they will fit.
third, i dont understand what your question about brakes has to do with the hollanders...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The 2007 TL's wheels will absolutely fit! They are a slightly different design than the 04-06 wheels but have the same specs.

I can't comment on the Hollander wheels, sorry.

Also, they are not required...but why would you want to remove such great brakes? It would be VERY involved to swap to the smaller base brakes.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams

Also, they are not required...but why would you want to remove such great brakes? It would be VERY involved to swap to the smaller base brakes.
And also considered by many to be highly sacrilegious. You'd be silly to replace Brembo calipers for regular calipers just to fit a replica oem wheel. There are many wheels that will easily fit the Brembos too- they're not that extreme sized.

Also, how did the dealership come to the conclusion that your wheels are severely bent? How did they check it? Just curious, is all.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
your first paragraph was awesome and easily understandable.

you lost me at the 2nd paragraph.
What wheels were you thinking, and why would they not fit?
2nd, i looked up hollanders and that's a replica of the 07-08 wheels. so they will fit.
third, i dont understand what your question about brakes has to do with the hollanders...
Sorry, didn't mean to lose you. Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit confused myself about what types of wheels will or won't fit my car, because I've been reading some other threads about the subject, and it seems having a MT with brembo brakes can limit the choices.

I asked the question about the brakes because I was curious if I was required to use brembos (which evidently are larger and create wheel limitations) with a MT, or if I could use a smaller, more standard brake instead, and have more wheel options to choose from. In fact, on eBay, some of the listings make specific mention that their wheels will not fit manual TL models.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Welcome to the forums!

The 2007 TL's wheels will absolutely fit! They are a slightly different design than the 04-06 wheels but have the same specs.

I can't comment on the Hollander wheels, sorry.

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that they will fit...makes my decision easy.

I don't really know much about brakes. I'd heard the Brembo name, but I'm not well-versed on how much their performance would differ from normal ones. Now, I'll definitely leave them on!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TacoBello
And also considered by many to be highly sacrilegious. You'd be silly to replace Brembo calipers for regular calipers just to fit a replica oem wheel. There are many wheels that will easily fit the Brembos too- they're not that extreme sized.

Also, how did the dealership come to the conclusion that your wheels are severely bent? How did they check it? Just curious, is all.
About not swapping the Brembos -- I get that now. Was just curious about it.

Not sure what the dealer's process was...but they also told me that the front axles were "corroded" and contributing to the vibration (and could be replaced for the mere cost of $850), but my buddy put my car on his lift and said that the axles look just fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard

The rims/wheels are an appearance item while the brakes are a functional one. Yes - rims are functional as well be to me secondary to the brakes. You would definitely be taking a step backwards in trying to replace your Brembo brakes for the base ones so you could open up your rim options. However it is your car and you can prioritize as you see fit. Any of the rims from the 3G TL family (04-08) will fit your 05.
Spend a little time doing some searches here on AZ there is tons of information on rims, tires and brakes. There are lots of pictures and options, you just need to do your due dilligence.
The following users liked this post:
Go4th (08-02-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Did you buy your car at lehighvalleyacura,...if so you should of had them replace the axles as part of the car purchase agreement or unless you negotiated a lesser price and plan on tackling it yourself ?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Did you buy your car at lehighvalleyacura,...if so you should of had them replace the axles as part of the car purchase agreement or unless you negotiated a lesser price and plan on tackling it yourself ?
No, I bought it privately. I didn't take it to LV Acura for the service check-up either -- they wanted $270 to make a second set of keys, and another $150 for the inspection report.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep the Brembo brakes. Much better pedal feel than stock. Also better stopping power. And for wheels, go on CL or even on here and find a used set. If you're planning to buy new, might as well go aftermarket. But congrats on a good pick up, but just get the small issues fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Go4th (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
Welcome to the board..

The sacrifice of having limited wheel options is worth having the Brembo Brakes..

This topic has many wheel/tire combinations which will help you understand what fits and what doesn't..

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/new-wheel-tire-specs-thread-pics-577276/

You are looking for 07-08 rims? Have you seen them around for sale? How much are they going for?

Anyone can give their input on this question, have my set sitting in the garage and I am considering selling but have no idea price range.. Two tires are around 70% one about 50% one needs changing.. Rims are about a 7/10..
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by EL BAN
Welcome to the board..

The sacrifice of having limited wheel options is worth having the Brembo Brakes..

This topic has many wheel/tire combinations which will help you understand what fits and what doesn't..

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577276

You are looking for 07-08 rims? Have you seen them around for sale? How much are they going for?

Anyone can give their input on this question, have my set sitting in the garage and I am considering selling but have no idea price range.. Two tires are around 70% one about 50% one needs changing.. Rims are about a 7/10..
Thanks for your reply and the link to the other thread. I'm not really interested in going nuts with some loud aftermarket rims, though. Just wanted to make sure that the 07/08 double-spoke wheels (OEM or aftermarket) would fit over the Brembos without spacers...and it looks like this is indeed the case.

I found a somewhat local set off of an 07 that was in an accident (front end damage -- doesn't look like the wheels were affected). The guys wants $450. There is average curb rash, and the tires are just about shot. I'd planned on four new tires anyway.

Or I can get the brand new aftermarket set, without center caps or valve stems, for just about the same price on eBay. I'm still debating...I've got to get the timing belt service done first.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

Dealer told me 07-08 wheels will NOT fit over brembos, only my current standard wheels or type-s honeycombs.

Now I'm really confused.