What the top 5 Wheel companies in terms of quality of design and product?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the top 5 Wheel companies in terms of quality of design and product?

I just want to get an idea of the forum concensus.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Oops! What ARE the top 5....
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Disturbin' The Peace!

1-Volk Racing http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/indexe.html
2-iForged http://www.iforged.com/mainl.html
3-Dazz Motorsports (Hart Wheels Japan) http://www.racinghart.com/default.asp?flash=1
4-Fikse http://www.fikse.com/products.html
5-Forgeline http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/index.html

Just my $.02. There are so many good wheel manufacturers out there, its hard to determine which one is the best. What matters is what is best for you!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good seal of approval would be for example the difficult to obtain German TUV rating. The TUV products have to pass high standards in many areas. It is maybe a more sophisticated type of Consumer Reports. This is at least one criteria you can look for instead of all the advertising and promo hype. Yes, BBS and ATS are TUV approved.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Renaissance Man

Originally Posted by TLVR
A good seal of approval would be for example the difficult to obtain German TUV rating. The TUV products have to pass high standards in many areas. It is maybe a more sophisticated type of Consumer Reports. This is at least one criteria you can look for instead of all the advertising and promo hype. Yes, BBS and ATS are TUV approved.
SAE has its own just-as-strict standards for aftermarket wheels. Its a more common international mark, so it will broaden the range of wheels from which to pick. My .02 (strength, weight, and style all being factors):

1. Volk/Rays Engineering
2. BBS
3. Speed Star Racing (SSR)
4. Weld Racing
5. Racing Hart

Note that all of the above manufacture wheels using the closed-die forging method, as opposed to casting or machined open-die forging. Stay away from companies (like iForged and HRE) who claim to manufacture wheels to your specifications. They just machine the wheel centers from forged blanks to your specifications, which can weaken the material. Stick with a closed-die forged or cast wheel if possible, and make sure it's SAE- (or TUV-) approved. Unless it's a ronjon Devotion, in which case you can trust that it'll be strong enough. Ron did enough research that he should get a SAE stamp of approval if he goes for it.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Originally Posted by Flanagan
SAE has its own just-as-strict standards for aftermarket wheels. Its a more common international mark, so it will broaden the range of wheels from which to pick. My .02 (strength, weight, and style all being factors):

1. Volk/Rays Engineering
2. BBS
3. Speed Star Racing (SSR)
4. Weld Racing
5. Racing Hart

Note that all of the above manufacture wheels using the closed-die forging method, as opposed to casting or machined open-die forging. Stay away from companies (like iForged and HRE) who claim to manufacture wheels to your specifications. They just machine the wheel centers from forged blanks to your specifications, which can weaken the material. Stick with a closed-die forged or cast wheel if possible, and make sure it's SAE- (or TUV-) approved. Unless it's a ronjon Devotion, in which case you can trust that it'll be strong enough. Ron did enough research that he should get a SAE stamp of approval if he goes for it.

If he could get hold of a set of SSR Professors', they would look sweet on the TL. Finding them is the fun part. Because SSR went bankrupt. I do disagree with your comment on the iForged, though. They have been proven to last and they are magnificent wheels. IMO, I still prefer Volk, Kinesis, Forged Motorsports, and Dazz wheels (Racing Hart). They are made to some very strict standards in Japan, and you can't go wrong.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Racer

kinesis hre fikse bbs work volks are all widely considered to be good wheels
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone for the good info. There's a couple of wheels I'm really considering for my 04 Silver TL- Aspec black chrome & Volk SF Challenge. I'm at 36K miles and still on my stock Turanzas! However, they are wearing down and by 40K (which is approx 2 months) I should get new tires & rims. Tough decision since I kind of like the bling of the black chrome, but know the Volks are of better quality.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:28 AM
SSM 6MT

Any suggestions for best bang for the buck? I'm thinking of Axis Hiro's...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

HRE owns'em all.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

HRE
VOLKS/RAYS
WORKs
IFORGED
DAZZ