What are the most comfortable (softest) lowering springs for the Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
What are the most comfortable (softest) lowering springs for the Type S?

I know there are countless threads on lowering springs but couldnt find any dedicated specifically to the softest, most comfortable, and closest to stock aftermarket lowering springs for the 07/08 auto Type S.
I know everyone will have their own opinions on this but im trying to look for actual facts on which spring is for sure the most comfortable. Im not looking to race the car just want a good cruising car with a slightly lower stance. I DONT want super ghetto slammed though because to me that looks rediculous however the a-spec springs might not be low enough (but close). Hopefully that gives you an idea what im looking for. Soft ride, maybe slightly lower than a-spec, but slammed like some kits.
Also, pictures of cars appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
I recently installed H&R sport spring for that reason, i didnt want anything with a rough ride but still wanted the look to be good. I love the ride, feels just like stock.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by White Venom
I recently installed H&R sport spring for that reason, i didnt want anything with a rough ride but still wanted the look to be good. I love the ride, feels just like stock.
Thanks man! from the research I was doing the H&R sports are #1 in my list so far. I also saw your thread about the install with pictures and the car looks amazing with a perfect ride height. One thing im curious about because you said you were going to have it checked, was the alignment messed up after the spring install or did it pretty much stay fine?

Thanks,
James
Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
H&R Sports here too. Still a nice ride and moderate lowering.

My alingment was out of whack after the install (especially the toe).
Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Another route is the Koni Yellows. If you want a nice subtle classy drop with literally a stock ride, that's the ticket. As a nice side, you have the opportunity to really firm it up too. On soft, they have a completely stock like ride.

Manual suspension a-spec springs will slightly drop it. These springs with the Konis on the low setting will take the fender nearly flush with the top of the tire and give awesome performance with very little ride quality impact.

Here's mine, a-spec and Konis. It's the one on the far right.

http://triodesigns.net/go1.jpg
Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Another route is the Koni Yellows. If you want a nice subtle classy drop with literally a stock ride, that's the ticket. As a nice side, you have the opportunity to really firm it up too. On soft, they have a completely stock like ride.

Manual suspension a-spec springs will slightly drop it. These springs with the Konis on the low setting will take the fender nearly flush with the top of the tire and give awesome performance with very little ride quality impact.

Here's mine, a-spec and Konis. It's the one on the far right.

http://triodesigns.net/go1.jpg
Excellent suggestion.

What is your opinion of how the Koni's (on the lowest perch - 20mm/0.8") would act/feel with the stock TL-S Springs?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Team Owner

I actually did the Konis with stock springs first and on the softest setting the ride quality was identical to stock shocks. The only difference was large bumps at freeway speeds were more controlled but without any additional harshness. That's what I love about these shocks is they control body movement very well without being harsh. I daily drive mine .5 turns (out of 3 total) from full soft.

The perch setting doesn't seem to affect firmness. I can't say how they would do with the type-S springs but going from stock base to a-spec, I didn't really need to adjust the damping, movement was well controlled with a very soft setting. I think the Type-S is somewhere between base and a-spec. The large swaybars actually required just a hair more damping.

On full firm however, they are downright uncomfortable but that's what I like, they have such a huge range. I can say with some confidence that they would control a full race spring just fine. For fun I drove them around at 3/4 firm and one huge difference was off the line traction. You can REALLY put the power down much better off the line with them on firm.

Hope this makes sense, I'm delirious with a very high fever right now. I apologize if I'm rambling.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. Just curious where is the best place to get the Koni yellows? im assuming they are pretty pricey considering they are adjustable. I dont necessarily need the adjustments I mainly want stock ride characteristics with the lower stance. So if I go that route it does infact sound like the H&R sports with stock shocks is just fine.

James
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Awesome thanks for the suggestions. Just curious where is the best place to get the Koni yellows? im assuming they are pretty pricey considering they are adjustable. I dont necessarily need the adjustments I mainly want stock ride characteristics with the lower stance. So if I go that route it does infact sound like the H&R sports with stock shocks is just fine.

James
Shop the internet/ebay. Koni Sports should run ~$600. They have two height perches in the front and 3 in the rear. I *think* front is stock and minus 20mm and rear is stock, +20mm and minus 20mm.

OR for the same price Koni/Nuespeed SP3 which had 5 perches, customized damping and comes with Nuespeed race springs. Also ~$600. Sell the springs, save the difference.

Correct part numbers contain: 8041.1322 (Front L&R) and 8041.1329 (Rear). Same as TSX and Accord?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks man! from the research I was doing the H&R sports are #1 in my list so far. I also saw your thread about the install with pictures and the car looks amazing with a perfect ride height. One thing im curious about because you said you were going to have it checked, was the alignment messed up after the spring install or did it pretty much stay fine?

Thanks,
James
I checked my alignment every week for 3 weeks and everytime the toe move slightly due to settling. I would recomend aligning it when you do the install and then again in about 1 month. I would also recomend a rear camber kit. My next mod will be some koni's!!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tein S-tech is exactly what you need.

Very soft springs with a 1.5 inch drop.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There is no way the Tein S-Tech will give a better ride than the Tein H-Tech. Plus, the H-Tech drop looks better.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein SS. Keep at a modest drop (1.5" maybe) and keep em soft and I think the ride is better than stock. Just as soft with less rebound. Mine are dropped 2.5" and about halfway between soft and stiff and it glides on most roads.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
There is no way the Tein S-Tech will give a better ride than the Tein H-Tech. Plus, the H-Tech drop looks better.
I never said they will, even though the ride will probably be very close.

OP didn't like the a-spec drop...h-tech drop is the same as h-tech drop...hence I didn't say h-tech.

And why would the h-tech drop look "better?" Unless you mean higher=better.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy the Super Cup kit as it comes with Special Edition (SP3) Koni's that have 5 different perch levels and are ~20mm shorter to better accommodate lowering springs. The kit also has Neuspeed Sport or Race spring options included in the price. You can sell those springs if you'd like to keep your stock TL-S springs or get A-Spec springs from someone on the black market for sale listings.

I just helped my cousin install the Super Cup kit with the Sport springs on his TL-S and right is pretty nice. Although on the 4th perch setting all around, he still bottoms out going into steeper driveways (1 finger all around with A-spec body kit). The ride at full soft feels almost softer than the stock Type-S but when you turn the rebound about 1 turn towards firm, the ride seems to be more controlled and gets rid of the float.

I personally have the A-Spec M/T full suspension on my '05 Auto. The ride is superb and is definitely more comfortable than the Super Cup setup. Like 'I hate cars' has done, I would go with Koni struts on the lower perch and A-Spec springs for the most comfortable ride. I also think the A-Spec springrates are perfect for daily driving.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM
6speed Anthracite

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm running Tein H-Tech springs and very happy with it. Perfect drop ... top of the tire is flush with the wheel well and the ride is comfortable. H&Rs are also excellent springs ... had the sport line on my last car
Old 10-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Tein H-Tech is exactly what you want. They actually drop little more than a-spec setup and its alot softer than any other springs.

This is my tl with H-tech springs/oem shocks combo

These springs are softer than oem type-S springs and if you upgrade to koni yellows later on, it can be softer and lower.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

That's really putting looks above performance. Softer and lower is just asking for trouble if you push the limits. These cars already have issues with camber change and hitting bumpstops when stock. This is making the issue worse. You need to go firmer if you go lower.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
6speed Anthracite

I wouldn't say softer than OEM
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's really putting looks above performance. Softer and lower is just asking for trouble if you push the limits. These cars already have issues with camber change and hitting bumpstops when stock. This is making the issue worse. You need to go firmer if you go lower.
that's what op seems to want right? "softest ride" and "lower than aspec."

Originally Posted by JoeTL'81
I wouldn't say softer than OEM
h-tech is actually softer than oem typeS springs. typeS is pretty stiff for oem
Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The shocks control damping and rebound so as long as you retain the OEM shock with a reasonable spring drop (i.e. not more than 1.5"), you will have a close to OEM cushy ride.

Eibach, Comptech, H&R are all good choices for a mild drop with a spring that actually improves handling.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so guys , what's the product item # for H tech for 07 tl-S ?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 AM
6speed Anthracite

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...h/g-50214.aspx
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Minkl81,
Man that WDP TL-S looks AMAZING!!!! Now you got me reconsidering between your springs and the H&R's. I wish someone was local to decide for myself because ride feel really is subjective. From the pics it looks like the H-techs lowers slightly more than the H&R's.

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 10-25-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Minkl81,

Also,, did you get rid of your H-techs? In your mod list it shows eibach pro? Is that picture with the h-techs or what?

James
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

TTT. I would like to bring this back up top because I am still looking for a lowering spring that will drop the car similar to the H&R sports pictured above, but if at all possible give me a SOFTER ride than stock. To me the Type S rides too damn stiff. I dont race or push the car to limits so I could careless about that.
Anymore opinions?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks,
James
I really wouldn't suggest getting JUST springs - they get too bouncy at times. why not go for the full set? just a thought

whenever you mess with suspension, you'll need an alignment. i learned something the last time i re-installed my rear coilovers - even if you mess with the rears, although the camber may not go out, most likely, the toe will. toe - steering angle.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
TTT. I would like to bring this back up top because I am still looking for a lowering spring that will drop the car similar to the H&R sports pictured above, but if at all possible give me a SOFTER ride than stock. To me the Type S rides too damn stiff. I dont race or push the car to limits so I could careless about that.
Anymore opinions?
i wouldnt recommend going softer and lower . even though you dont seem to have spirited driving tendencies, in case of any emergency, (i.e. hard braking or emergency manuvering) you could possibly lose control of the car easier. with every mod you do to a car, there is ALWAYS a compromise and going a tad bit stiffer on the ride quality while lower the ride height is always the compromise so you can still retain some suspesion travel which will give you better performance in the long run.

i got a suggestion tho....why not just go with the 04-06 MT a-spec suspension? that should give you a nice and even yet subtle drop and still retain great ride quality. being that you have the type-s, the front nose will be a little heavier giving you more of a drop up front. somebody here on the forums has done it but i cant remeber who. good luck finding the right suspension tho.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djbonsu
i wouldnt recommend going softer and lower . even though you dont seem to have spirited driving tendencies, in case of any emergency, (i.e. hard braking or emergency manuvering) you could possibly lose control of the car easier. with every mod you do to a car, there is ALWAYS a compromise and going a tad bit stiffer on the ride quality while lower the ride height is always the compromise so you can still retain some suspesion travel which will give you better performance in the long run.

i got a suggestion tho....why not just go with the 04-06 MT a-spec suspension? that should give you a nice and even yet subtle drop and still retain great ride quality. being that you have the type-s, the front nose will be a little heavier giving you more of a drop up front. somebody here on the forums has done it but i cant remeber who. good luck finding the right suspension tho.
Yeah but im not talking about going Cadillac soft im just saying around stock or softer if possible. Im also not talking about slamming the car to the ground all I want was a drop similar to the H&R sports (or slightly more than A-spec). With what im saying I dont see any issues whatsoever so my only question is what spring for the TL-S will give it mild drop without jeopordizing the ride.
Thanks very much for the input.

James
Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to insist on the S-Tech's and Tokico HP shocks. It was a relatively inexpensive solution for a modest drop. It's high enough that there are very few inclines that I need to approach sideways. And to be honest, I only noticed a slight difference in stiffness in comparison to the base TL springs.

Here's a recent side profile shot for ride height reference.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eibach pro kit. 1" all around.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have a similar dilemma as the OP. I recently bought the M/T A-Spec Suspension for my automatic, and don't get me wrong...I LOVE IT!

The drop is just right for NYC streets, very comfortable and in my opinion it is better the what the car came with. In my opinion it also makes the 18" A-Spec rims look better.

Problem is I got my Two subs in the trunk bringing the back down, and at times, this makes my drop look uneven. The back looks nice and close to the tire, while the front is not. I want the front to look more aggressive and not floaty the way it is now.

Believe me the "float look" is worse in person. Heres a picture to show you:

Now that I see this thread I am considering changing up ONLY the front springs and keeping the rest of the A-Spec Suspension as is. I was considering the H&R Sports, but after seeing minkl81's drop with the Tein H-Tech springs, I am now left confused.

Which one of these two spring I mentioned will feel closest to the A-Spec suspension I currently have right now?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Instructor

btw is what Im proposing to do by having one set of springs in the front and a diff. set in the back even safe?

The only reason I am thinking of doing it this way is because changing the back springs will continue to lower the back to a point where the front wont be able to catch up...unless I get coil overs, but plz dont mention those as I am broke.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Instructor

bump
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anymore opinions?
I'm totally on the same page as you in regards to the ride quality. My friend who sat in the back seat was making bobblehead movements one time because it was so stiff and bouncy. I had H&R Sports on my 2000 TL and the ride quality was amazing so I'm debating whether to do those or the Tein S tech. Let me know what you end up doing.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

I got H&R RACE which lower more than the sport and i recommend it to all!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I have to insist on the S-Tech's and Tokico HP shocks. It was a relatively inexpensive solution for a modest drop. It's high enough that there are very few inclines that I need to approach sideways. And to be honest, I only noticed a slight difference in stiffness in comparison to the base TL springs.

Here's a recent side profile shot for ride height reference.

how much did you lower it
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
4 year old thread...

tein website lets you know how much each spring lowers
Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by -MiG-
I got H&R RACE which lower more than the sport and i recommend it to all!
I agree with the race springs!
I had the sport springs before the race and I didn't feel a major difference.
Just a Much better drop!
Add Koni Yellows and you are good!