Vibration in front left

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 07:18 PM
Advanced

Vibration in front left

I have had a vibration in the front left wheel for some time. I have had the rims and tires swaped around, all rims rebalanced again and again with no success. It starts at 80km/hr, again at 100km/hr and 140km/hr. I am running 16" winter steels, 17" stock in spring and 18" Aspec in summer and this occurs with all 3 sets. Its driving me crazy. I haven't hit any pothole hard enough to bend any rims and I can only imagine the wack that the suspension would have to take to bend a half shaft. I'm about to make an Appt with Atlantic Acura in Halifax to try and sort it out.

Do you guys have any ideas before I start spending money searching for the problem? $75/hr chasing ghosts...yikes.

I have the full A-spec kit and no other mods. I hate vibrations and rattles and this vibration is causing rattles. GOIN MAD!!
Old 05-01-2008 | 07:46 PM
Advanced

Anyone have ideas?
Old 05-01-2008 | 07:54 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Did you check the end play of the wheel for bad wheel bearing, susp parts? Check all susp components? Could have a bad CV joint/axle too.
Old 05-02-2008 | 06:23 AM
Registered VTEC junkie

Check the suspension components in that area and get an alignment.
Old 05-02-2008 | 03:24 PM
Advanced

I got an alignment a few weeks ago as I do every spring and fall. I hope this isn't going to be pricey. Just a while ago the cover for the HFL fell off..again. This time I'm crazy gluing it on instead of paying for a repair. My drivers mirror is browning too. My passenger mirror did it a year ago but was replaced under warranty but warranty is now run out. I feel like my car is falling apart and I am anal about its up keep and maintenance. 2005 and 85k and falling apart..unreal. Might just trade it in on a Corolla and save some money with gas prices being as retarded as they are. It will be brought into Atlantic Acura next Wednesday and we'll see what the service manager and GM say. I bought it directy from the GM.
Old 05-12-2008 | 08:49 PM
Advanced

Fixed

Acura tech and I went out for a spin. He stated that the '05 came from the factory with 1-2 deg camber in the rear which was causing my tires to scallop on the outside edges. Tech stated most alignment machines just use the default manufacturer settings in the computer to do the alignment. Tech stated that I probably felt the rear get a lil squirmy from time to time which was correct. He did an alignment and set my rear camber to zero. Tech said the rear only needed camber if I was goin to hit the track alot. Car runs like its on rails now. The vibration was from the tires being a lil out of balance and of course being scalloped. Now I need new tires LOL. Gonna run my Toyos till they are bald before I shell out 1g on tires.
Old 10-17-2008 | 12:49 PM
Advanced

6 month update

Well i got the car aligned in May and bought some new 18" General UHP Exclaims in June.

Fast forward to present day.....I take my car into the local shop and ask them to balance, align, check all suspension components and motor mounts. This is due to me still having a vibration like a tire was out of balance. The vibration was causing anything that could rattle to sound off like a vibrating bed.

So the shop did the alignment and informed me that the alignment was barely off but that my rear tires were severely scalloped and would need to be replaced soon. The tires got about 5000km on them over the summer.

Back to Atlantic Acura (Halifax, NS) I go as I needed a front end brake job. Brakes done. I ask them to check the rear suspension as so far it has eaten 3 sets of tires off the car. The service manager (Troy) and GM (Brian) are the best guys I have delt with in a dealership ever. The service manager has been speaking with the National Acura tech guys in attempts to determine if there is any known issues with the A-Spec suspension that may cause continued scalloping of the rear tires even when the correct alignment is dialed in.

Have any of you guys on this board had or heard of any issues that I can mention to the techs? I have been chasing this problem for well over a year now.