Vibration - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration - Advice?

I have a set of AT Italia wheels with Falken tires, both less than 10,000K miles and a year old. These are my summer wheels and tires. The winter wheels and tires were fine.

Pop the summer set on, and I get a vibration that starts around 60mph, feel it all the way to 80mph.

I had my dealer do an alignment and wheel balance. Alignment was off just a bit, they claim its dead on now and gave me the spec printout to prove it.

Wheel balance didn't work, still get a vibration.

Go to a TireRack authorized installer who solved a similiar problem with my Saab's custom wheels. He rebalanced the wheels, its better, but the vibration is still there and noticable.

Went back to the dealer, they inspected the front end, and see no problems, they also put front to rear, rear to front, no dice.

Dealer is now pointing the finger at the wheels and tires and claims a belt has slipped in the tires or the wheels are bent.

I find this hard to believe, since I had no problems last season with this same set of wheels, and then wouldn't the balance be off?

I'm out of ideas and places to look - dealer recommends I invest in a new set of tires ($500-600 - OUCH), and if that doesn't fix it, to toss the rims. Not likely since I spent almost $900 on the rims and they're less than a year old!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What type of wheel is it? Just curious because I like the INOZ style that company offers. Looks real nice. If you got pics, please post.

Back to subject, do you have hub centric rings and forgot to put them in? I had that problem once. After the winter, I took off my stocks and forgot to put my rings back in. ViBrAtIoN big time! So, I went back home, put my rings back in and voila..no vibration.

If that doesn't help, you could have a dead spot in your rim. Discount tire has a really good road force analyzer that can find those problems within the rim and will be able to isolate whether it;s a rim problem or tire problem.

Good luck, I know you must be irritated