"Upgrading" Konis. Has anyone ever revalved them to be stiffer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
"Upgrading" Konis. Has anyone ever revalved them to be stiffer?

I'm not sure if the Konis are going soft from age or if I'm noticing this more now. They don't have enough compression damping. Rebound is fine since this is the one you can adjust from the top.

Right now it seems like my springs are doing all of the work and the swaybars when activated tend to rock the car pretty bad.

Pulling into a driveway compresses the suspension pretty bad and the shocks are supposed to stop the sharp compression.

I dont' think they're worn out, I think it's just me being picky and trying to perfect this setup. They do have about 50K on them.

So what I need to do is send them off to get them revalved for more compression damping. I believe this would actually help the ride quality a little by reducing body motion to one sharp bump instead of one or two soft but large bumps.

So I'm dealing with this delima. Turn around time for rebuilding and revalving is 3-4 weeks. I really can't have my car down for that long.

I've thought about putting them up for sale on the BM for $100 to absorb some of the cost of buying another set of new ones.

So my question is, first of all has anyone ever sent their Konis out for revalving and how long did it take and what did it cost? I'm sure I'll have the answer on Monday when they're open again but just wondering for now.

Second is I've heard that Koni used firmer valving in certain 3g models but I have no idea which ones.

I may end up ordering all new ones with firmer valving but that would really suck.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Team Owner

Anyone? Lol.

I'll report back once I figure this out. Might be helpful for those with fairly stiff springs to have a matching shock for them.

I found on the Koni website where they can actually convert the single adjsutable shocks to dual adjustments. This would mean instead of just rebound damping adjustments, you could adjust compression too. This would be awesome for really fine tuning a combo. Mine is definately lacking in compression damping.

I think this would be great for those of us with stiff front swaybars. Dialing up the compression damping might make it less likely to try and lift the inside tire on initial turn-in but time will tell.

A little more compression damping on the front and more rebound on the rear could really help with front end dive and rear lift under hard braking.

You could fine tune based on corner weights if you choose to.

A side benefit and it doesn't always work out this way.... But as the shock wears, you can continue to "compensate" if you have both adjustments.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Please let us know how much this process costs when you find out. The TL-S Front Sway coupled with Energy Suspension Urethane bushings made my front A-Spec dampers feel a little soft afterwards. When I hit rough connection joints on the highway, I can really feel that bouncing sensation. It feels like the TL-S FSB increased the front spring rate two-fold under hard compression. Before the FSB upgrade, it was very smooth, but after, the ride did get rougher. I got used to it pretty quickly though and it doesn't really bother me at all anymore. The improved cornering stability more than makes up for it. Since you have the H&R FSB, I can imagine you feel the same symptoms even more. Lifting an inside front tire is very easy to do now at the limit. Something I could never do with the base auto FSB.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

I went ahead and installed new "stock" Konis on the rear. It's definitely an improvement. I didn't see much to be gained from stiffer compression on the rears, the rebound adjustment is 90% of it which they have.

For the fronts it's going to be $150 each for the compression adjustments. I really want to do this and I will but it's hard to find the time to take them off, send them out, and wait when this is my DD. I'll probably send them off right before I go on vacation early next year.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

I thought I would post one more thing about the compression damping. One plus for a little less compression damping is the ability to corner over rough roads without skipping. I took a few corners hard today on the way to work and one in particular had very rough pavement. Granted, I come from a line of live axle cars but the TL still amazes me how it goes over these surfaces while cornering hard without missing a beat. I think the extra compression damping would make it more likely to skip over some of these surfaces but I still want that adjustability anyway.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Bringing it from the dead. I need shocks and was thinking of getting 1 of the 2 Koni Adj from BM. But after sleeping on it I want the warranty and NEW shocks. My plan is to use stock springs and the Konis to drop it ever so slighty(daily driver). I am real good friends with a Race team here in Memphis(RE Technologies) that race Sprint cars and Silver Crown with Carl Edwards. Anyway they have shock dynos and rebuild and valve shocks all the time. I came across this thread and was wondering what type of valving to look for. I might have them look into it when i get them. Rears are fine from what i read above, just need fronts done. What you think?

Last edited by hofiveo; 12-03-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

The stock Konis are more than fine for a stock car. Back when i wrote the first post I was taking it to Willow from time to time.

I ran them with stock springs for a year or more and they pair very nicely. I lowered just the front (had subs in the rear to bring it down almost 1/2"). I could not believe how much of a difference 3/4" could make in the appearance of the car. Only someone who knows the TL well would know it's lowered and even then you would wonder. However, getting rid of a portion of that gap made the car look sooo much better. I really did not want to lower the car any more when I went to a stiffer spring but unfortunately there was nothing out there that would not lower it more. Now it sits 1.25-1.5" lower than stock but I would love to go back to the way it sat with just the Konis.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Did you get the Koni Yellows or SP3?

Why are you asking us? You know more about cars than everyone on this board combined. (Even though this was a 2010 thread)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Here is what I am going with:

Koni Yellows(Autoanything.com $542.13 Shipped) Fronts will be in lowest perch and rear in middle or highest(have kid w/ Cerebral Palsy and have stroller/wheelchair combo and walker in trunk). Was going to get Type-S bushings but want comfort over firmness, less money also.

CT Egineering RSB($100.00)

4 new Deeza Sway Bar End Links(Rockauto.com $68.26 shipped)

All motor mounts(Rockauto.com $163.00 shipped)

What do you think? Any info on installing the Konis with stock springs, will the drilling need to be done like others posted here? any info is appreciated. AcuraZine Rocks, thank you guys and gals.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmm, i curious about your swaybar endlinks as i need a pair for the rears but dont want to spend too much $$ for them. the OEM design is prety sh*tyy in regards to removing and re-installing them.

I have had my konis for over 3+ years and have about 75-80k on them and they bounce waayyyy to much as i have defintely maxed out the adjustment to fully stiff and my car rides like sh*t and STILL bounces crazy and gives poor ride quality even on the highway while cruising. I have tried to associate my ride quality issues with everything else except my shocks but i am taking a dive and ordering some HT-Spec V2 coils to get my car handling/riding solid again. I never thought my konis sp3s paired with neuspeed sport springs would give out for the remainder of the car's life but we shall see the outcome once i replace them. Was tryin to wait till after winter but i cant ride around during the winter this low AND have crappy handling.

The point of my rant? If i where you i would consider something different regarding konis shocks for the amount of $$ you are about to spend on them. I would have got them rebuilt BUT that down time is crazy considering my car is my daily driver.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Instructor

My posts above state why I am going this route, my wife's daily driver. Not looking to slam or have track like grip. We just want a little better than stock. Reading thru some threads here some expieranced loud clunks and thought it was shock assembly and turned out to be end links, hence why i am buying 4 for 68.00. I know at least one mount is bad so i am replacing all to keep my records alittle cleaner. anyone try to get warranty on the Koni's? Do you buy a set and then send in your old ones for credit?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
"Like None Other"

yea, the loud clunks are attributed to the endlinks defintely. i had that problem after a nasty encounter with a pothole on chicago's horrible streets. at any rate, good luck with the konis as they should provide what you are looking for. dont forget to break them in on "full soft" setting for the first 500 miles. ill check out those endlinks.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by djbonsu
hmmm, i curious about your swaybar endlinks as i need a pair for the rears but dont want to spend too much $$ for them. the OEM design is prety sh*tyy in regards to removing and re-installing them.

I have had my konis for over 3+ years and have about 75-80k on them and they bounce waayyyy to much as i have defintely maxed out the adjustment to fully stiff and my car rides like sh*t and STILL bounces crazy and gives poor ride quality even on the highway while cruising. I have tried to associate my ride quality issues with everything else except my shocks but i am taking a dive and ordering some HT-Spec V2 coils to get my car handling/riding solid again. I never thought my konis sp3s paired with neuspeed sport springs would give out for the remainder of the car's life but we shall see the outcome once i replace them. Was tryin to wait till after winter but i cant ride around during the winter this low AND have crappy handling.

The point of my rant? If i where you i would consider something different regarding konis shocks for the amount of $$ you are about to spend on them. I would have got them rebuilt BUT that down time is crazy considering my car is my daily driver.
How low are you? It could be you're just too close to or on the bumpstops.

Unless the shocks are defective, I wouldn't suspect them. I've run them with stock springs all the way up to a 400lb rear spring which is over twice the stock stiffness and they do very well. Did you chop the bumpstops?

There comes a point where coilovers are a must or you will be sitting on the bumpstops all the time.

You can do the mod to the Konis that I did that will give you most of your stock suspension travel back. Ride would probably greatly improve and it's a free mod.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^I couldnt knock off the "spot welded" tabs.................
so I said to hell with your "full travel mod"
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by I hate cars
How low are you? It could be you're just too close to or on the bumpstops.

Unless the shocks are defective, I wouldn't suspect them. I've run them with stock springs all the way up to a 400lb rear spring which is over twice the stock stiffness and they do very well. Did you chop the bumpstops?

There comes a point where coilovers are a must or you will be sitting on the bumpstops all the time.

You can do the mod to the Konis that I did that will give you most of your stock suspension travel back. Ride would probably greatly improve and it's a free mod.
i would say im dropped 2inches i think. i didnt cut the bumstops but i never had a problem. i mean it would bottom on on certain roads but i knew it was because of how low i was and my dampening settings. my problem was that after adjusting them to FULL stiiff the front were still "mushy" while cruising around. i had neuspeed sport springs and was on the 2nd to lowest perch up front and lowest perch in the rear. had a really nice stance and ride until the front shocks started acting up. i have removed and swapped them this week for ht-spec 2 type 1 coils and im one happy camper again. so far so good as far as the ride quality. def stiffer than stock and my neuspeed supercup kit (my personal settings) but there is a GREAT balance. i cant explain it but the car's ride and handling are superb. defintely happy with ht-spec and my purchase. ill be selling my konis and neuspeed springs in the BM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
^I couldnt knock off the "spot welded" tabs.................
so I said to hell with your "full travel mod"
So Justin, how's the dating scene going? :theghey: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Sorry lol