Type-S tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Type-S tire pressures

I am curious what the Type-S owners (not sure I want to hear from std TL owners unless they have the Type-S suspension) for tire pressures. I have played around with them on and off the track with some success in improving turn in and rotation.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
I've never really messed with it. I usually go with a mix between the recommended PSI for the Tl and what ever the max is for the tire. Right now it's like 46ish all around.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
Wow where to begin....

factory spec is on the drivers door jam. experimenting with them is worth doing but street and track pressures and temps are apples and oranges dude. And TL-S suspension has little to any impact at all over another stock TL suspension. So maybe give me more info on what you've done thus far and how you've done it and I could be of more help to you.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by Otacon
I've never really messed with it. I usually go with a mix between the recommended PSI for the Tl and what ever the max is for the tire. Right now it's like 46ish all around.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
+1^^

46psi? hope that was a typo.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
+1^^

46psi? hope that was a typo.

- we can hope, but I'm betting not.

OP, I run about 3 or 4 psi over the OM recommendations. You can see your Owners Manual here:

J-020: 3G TL Owners Manual, Navi Manuals & Warranty Booklet Links
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/j-020-3g-acura-tl-owners-manual-navi-manual-warranty-booklet-pdfs-851625/
Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

OP, I run about 3 or 4 psi over the OM recommendations. You can see your Owners Manual here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851625
Type-S spec is 35/32 and I have softened it to about 33/32. THis is the first front wheel drive car I have owned and I race a Mazda RX-7 (RWD) so I have little experience with TP set-up. I am aware that there is a whole lot more weight up front so pressures will likely need to be higher. But I would like to minimize understeer. I should also note I do not drive like a chauffeur on the street although temps and pressures and nothing like what I would see on the track.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851625
Type-S spec is 35/32 and I have softened it to about 33/32 (cold). This is the first front wheel drive car I have owned and I race a Mazda RX-7 (RWD) so I have little experience with TP set-up. I am aware that there is a whole lot more weight up front so pressures will likely need to be higher. But I would like to minimize understeer. I should also note I do not drive like a chauffeur on the street although temps and pressures and nothing like what I would see on the track.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Type-S spec is 35/32 and I have softened it to about 33/32. THis is the first front wheel drive car I have owned and I race a Mazda RX-7 (RWD) so I have little experience with TP set-up. I am aware that there is a whole lot more weight up front so pressures will likely need to be higher. But I would like to minimize understeer. I should also note I do not drive like a chauffeur on the street although temps and pressures and nothing like what I would see on the track.

I'd bump the pressure up a bit. Then, to reduce under-steer, equalize the front and rear OR set the rear slightly higher than the front. For instance 33/36 or 34/37.

Also, to reduce under-steer, look at adding a Progress RSB and set it on 'med' or 'firm'.

At a couple of Auto-X events, I had to set cold pressure to ~42 - 45 (iirc) to get the applied polish marks to scrub off at the edge of the shoulder. FWIW.
The following users liked this post:
socalsteve (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 PM
AZ Track Whore

If you want to reduce the understeer with tire pressure alone then increase the rear tire pressure along with reducing the front pressure like you have already done. Give 32/36 a try and see if you see any difference. Though if just killing the understeer is mostly what you're after then the Progress rear sway is really all you'd need to get the job done.

JEEZ BEAR WAY TO BEAT ME TO IT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by vill0169; 09-24-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Bear bashing lol
The following 2 users liked this post by vill0169:
Bearcat94 (09-24-2012), socalsteve (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced

I'd bump the pressure up a bit. Then, to reduce under-steer, equalize the front and rear OR set the rear slightly higher than the front. For instance 33/36 or 34/37.

Also, to reduce under-steer, look at adding a Progress RSB and set it on 'med' or 'firm'.

At a couple of Auto-X events, I had to set cold pressure to ~42 - 45 (iirc) to get the applied polish marks to scrub off at the edge of the shoulder. FWIW.
I was playing with a 32/35 set-up but not having any clue with regards to FWD set-up I was concerned my RWD experience was misleading me. I was also concerned that I would not get a good contact patch at the rear.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vill0169
If you want to reduce the understeer with tire pressure alone then increase the rear tire pressure along with reducing the front pressure like you have already done. Give 32/36 a try and see if you see any difference. Though if just killing the understeer is mostly what you're after then the Progress rear sway is really all you'd need to get the job done.

JEEZ BEAR WAY TO BEAT ME TO IT!!!!!!!!
OK, then I was heading in the right direction. I am probably not going to make any suspension mods. At least not right now. I try to save that stuff for the track car.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced

I will be lapping ACS in the TL Type-S this Saturday as an instructor for an HPDE and I wanted to get some feed back on tire pressures for the track. I realize there are many variables and that I should really be probing the tire temps hot off the track but I will likely not have the bodies or time to perform that task.

I will be driving there my 35/32 cold pressure street set-up and would like to get an idea on what I should be looking for in terms of cold and hot pressures. I believe the last time I was lapping the Acura I was seeing hot lap temps in the neighborhood of 42/30-something as reported by the TP monitoring on track.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced

I will be lapping ACS in the TL Type-S this Saturday as an instructor for an HPDE and I wanted to get some feed back on tire pressures for the track. I realize there are many variables and that I should really be probing the tire temps hot off the track but I will likely not have the bodies or time to perform that task.

I will be driving there my 35/32 cold pressure street set-up and would like to get an idea on what I should be looking for in terms of cold and hot pressures. I believe the last time I was lapping the Acura I was seeing hot lap temps in the neighborhood of 42/30-something as reported by the TP monitoring on track.
Ooops, I meant to say 32/35 F/R pressures... (where the hell are you flamers out there?)
I guess I will watch the temps and pressure come up as we bring up the speed and see how the car wants to handle. I am somewhat unfamiliar with how tune a car that has so much weight up front. My inclination is the use more air for more weight but then again it is all about the contact patch. I hope I can get a probe on the tires after sessions.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I usually set mine to around 37 front and 40 rear.. + or - 3-4 psi
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
AZ Track Whore

42 psi is pretty crazy high for a hot pressure man.... 37 psi hot all around has always worked pretty well for me. And I don't think I'd really trust the TPMS at all. Only a quality tire pressure gauge that's not affected by barometric pressure is worth using...and only hot pressure matters for tuning....

Ooops, I meant to say 32/35 F/R pressures... (where the hell are you flamers out there?)
I guess I will watch the temps and pressure come up as we bring up the speed and see how the car wants to handle. I am somewhat unfamiliar with how tune a car that has so much weight up front. My inclination is the use more air for more weight but then again it is all about the contact patch. I hope I can get a probe on the tires after sessions.
I'd start 30/32 cold and see where you end up and adjust from there. Usually works as a good baseline for me...and that's track obviously.

Originally Posted by dstah
I usually set mine to around 37 front and 40 rear.. + or - 3-4 psi
37/40 cold or hot and street or track? and you're saying you're satisfied with anything +/- 3 or 4 psi from that? ?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
So many factors in the "best" pressure but the tire itself is the largest factor. My old BFG Sports had the best traction at 44psi hot. My NT05s don't like anything above 35-36psi hot. If I adjust for 35psi on the track, once they cool off the low air pressure warning is on. I would get it close in a deserted area on the street and fine tune at the track.

The front tires have a larger change in pressure from cold to hot because they run hotter. Believe it or not, making the handling more neutral with the RSB actually reduced the amount of change in the fronts just a hair.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Advanced

42 psi is pretty crazy high for a hot pressure man.... 37 psi hot all around has always worked pretty well for me. And I don't think I'd really trust the TPMS at all. Only a quality tire pressure gauge that's not affected by barometric pressure is worth using...and only hot pressure matters for tuning....
I constantly use and compare the TPMS on my car with a high quality handheld dial TP guage. My sensors are very accurate.

I'd start 30/32 cold and see where you end up and adjust from there. Usually works as a good baseline for me...and that's track obviously.
30/32 is substantially lower that what we have discussed here above (32/35or36). I did get a chance to hit my tires with a pyrometer once and had good temps across all tires. I was running about 39 all around and turn in was good so I just left it there. I did not have much time to play around with my car but it was a good day overall - except for when I took out a CTS-V to give some demo rides for some of the people and lost a fuel pump, I think. After confirming it is the pump I found where the wiring has melted for some people so I'm waiting to hear more.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
AZ Track Whore

I constantly use and compare the TPMS on my car with a high quality handheld dial TP guage. My sensors are very accurate.

30/32 is substantially lower that what we have discussed here above (32/35or36). I did get a chance to hit my tires with a pyrometer once and had good temps across all tires. I was running about 39 all around and turn in was good so I just left it there. I did not have much time to play around with my car but it was a good day overall - except for when I took out a CTS-V to give some demo rides for some of the people and lost a fuel pump, I think. After confirming it is the pump I found where the wiring has melted for some people so I'm waiting to hear more.
What gauge do you use? and what tire temps were you seeing with what spread from inside to outside?

I said 30/32 cold at the track when looking for about 37 hot. Nothing about street or hot pressures. gaining 8-10psi on track is easy to do (with most tire setups) hence me saying that.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced

What gauge do you use? and what tire temps were you seeing with what spread from inside to outside?

I said 30/32 cold at the track when looking for about 37 hot. Nothing about street or hot pressures. gaining 8-10psi on track is easy to do (with most tire setups) hence me saying that.
I have a Longacre 3.5-in 60psi. When I say that the TPMS is essentially the same I am talking within a pound which works for me on a street car with DOT tires and the limited amount of track time this my TL sees.

As far as tire temps, I did not record them because I was short on time and just checking to see if I was in the ballpark. However I believe I saw low 160s on the fronts and mid 140s in the rear. I had a deviation of less that 5 degrees across the tire which, again, was satisfactory for me on DOT tires where I am at teaching speeds and not track record speeds.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
An interesting read and subscribed to get updates.

Temps in New England have started to drop and during the morning commute temps are already in the 40's and 50's. Have already noted 3-4 PSI drop. Added air the other day and am running 36F and 33R again. But again being in New England temps are forecasted to be in the upper 60's again soon..........
Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
An interesting read and subscribed to get updates.

Temps in New England have started to drop and during the morning commute temps are already in the 40's and 50's. Have already noted 3-4 PSI drop. Added air the other day and am running 36F and 33R again. But again being in New England temps are forecasted to be in the upper 60's again soon..........
That would seem to set you up for more understeer than I would want to have but I am not driving your car in your environment. I am pretty happy with 32F/36R on my car in temperate SoCal.