Type S Suspension vs. A-spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Type S Suspension vs. A-spec

Hi guys, as you may know, I have a loaner TL-S and love the suspension on it. How is this comparable to the A-spec suspension? Is the A-spec even firmer or is it the same as the TL-S suspension? I like how it still cushions bumps, but still can take corners pretty well. I have never been in an a-spec tl, so I want to know what it feels like before I invest into it. And for the people suggesting to go after-market, i rather stick with acura parts because I plan on keeping this car for a good amount of time and want my extended warranty to still be in effect.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The S suspension is better. Not as low, so it feels like there may be a bit more body roll. At the same time it's much more comfortable than my 04 a-spec was, even on the stock 17's, had them on for the winter. My type S with the all-season tires, wins hands down vs. the stock 17's bridgestone, and stock 17's on toyo proxes 4's. The 18's had michelin ps2's and equal the amount of grip the type S has. The S drives better, it's more composed over bumps and dips, and has better steering feel. Torque steer is almost non existant compared to the 04. The type S is not as raw down low in first and second. There is a lot of computer intervention that cuts back power to maintain traction, which I also might add does better than the a-spec. I liked the a-spec for the drop, slightly tighter body roll, and easier launch. No doubt, that the type s would be even better on stickier tires. If you have a hard time taking my word for it check out the type s video's from TOV at GTchannel.com. Video search - type in acura. Shawn made a comment about the type s handling better on all-seasons than the base TL on high performance tires. I'll try and post them.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
If your just looking to add to your 04, then I would not hesitate going with the a-spec.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
If your just looking to add to your 04, then I would not hesitate going with the a-spec.
I don't want to firm of a ride and the S ride was perfect. not to harsh with better handling. What I wanted to know is if the aspec is firmer than the Type S or is it in the same ballpark because I still want to maintain a good ride for when my family rides in the car, especially grandpa as he complaints a lot about everything. I appreciate the advise given so far. BTW, does anyone with a-spec scrape their bumper, I have stock and scrape when going in to work a little speedy, but when I slowly go over it, i don't scrape. Will A Type S suspension or A-Spec suspension make me scrape all the time?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've never scraped my bumper with the ASPEC...I have scraped the air dam under the car numerous times going out of steep driveways/curbs (did this stock, too)...just have to go slow and at an angle.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

anyone else?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I don't want to firm of a ride and the S ride was perfect. not to harsh with better handling. What I wanted to know is if the aspec is firmer than the Type S or is it in the same ballpark because I still want to maintain a good ride for when my family rides in the car, especially grandpa as he complaints a lot about everything. I appreciate the advise given so far. BTW, does anyone with a-spec scrape their bumper, I have stock and scrape when going in to work a little speedy, but when I slowly go over it, i don't scrape. Will A Type S suspension or A-Spec suspension make me scrape all the time?
I had a 2005 A-spec and now have a 2007 Type S. The ride is definitely "softer" but I liked the stiffer ride when going around ramps.

You can especially tell the difference when going around a ramp that may have a dip in the road: the front end dips down then up. It's just a little too soft for me, but I guess I'm too used to the A-spec.

I'm trying to determine if the A-spec suspension can be added to the Type-S.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctriplett
I had a 2005 A-spec and now have a 2007 Type S. The ride is definitely "softer" but I liked the stiffer ride when going around ramps.

You can especially tell the difference when going around a ramp that may have a dip in the road: the front end dips down then up. It's just a little too soft for me, but I guess I'm too used to the A-spec.

I'm trying to determine if the A-spec suspension can be added to the Type-S.

Here is a link for the A-Spec for TL-S:
Auto:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...mZ280108378768

Manual:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8378845&rd=1,1

I've been considering them, but I also know that I can get Eibach's for about $230. Problem with the Eibach is that if there is a problem later with the suspension, I think it would void the Acura warranty.

ctriplett, hit me up sometime, I'm in Reston during the day.