Old 04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two and Three Piece Wheels

Can someone explain to me the benefits of having 3 piece wheels over 2? Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM
yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that you can replace more pieces with a 3-piece. Alot of it varys from wheel to wheel. Not sure about two pieces. But 3-piece wheels have inner seals that will wear out over time. So after a couple of years they will need to be replaced.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
What's a TL?

I disagree with the contention that 2 or three piece wheels need to be replaced more often. 2 and three piece wheels are mainly constructed to allow for a lot more customization. It is easier to make a multi piece wheel to a customers exact specs by painting the center portion certain colors, having different finishes for the center portion than the lip, or allowing for vairous offsets to alter the size of the lip on the wheel. Additionally, these wheels allow the customer to come back later and alter the wheel. If you have a multi piece wheel and decide to power coat or paint the center portion sometime down the line, the wheel can be taken apart and this can be done. If you happen to bend or scratch the lip, the wheel can be taken apart and the lip repaired or replaced.

Although someone says the multi-piece requires replacement or repair within a few years, multi-piece wheels tend to be made by the higher end companies and are a better construction that one piece cast wheels. In fact, often the nicer multi piece (such as HRE or IForged) are also forged, so you have the strength of a monoblock (one piece) forged rim, but the versatility of multi-piece construction.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice explanation Vtec, thank you
Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
yo!

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
I disagree with the contention that 2 or three piece wheels need to be replaced more often. 2 and three piece wheels are mainly constructed to allow for a lot more customization. It is easier to make a multi piece wheel to a customers exact specs by painting the center portion certain colors, having different finishes for the center portion than the lip, or allowing for vairous offsets to alter the size of the lip on the wheel. Additionally, these wheels allow the customer to come back later and alter the wheel. If you have a multi piece wheel and decide to power coat or paint the center portion sometime down the line, the wheel can be taken apart and this can be done. If you happen to bend or scratch the lip, the wheel can be taken apart and the lip repaired or replaced.

Although someone says the multi-piece requires replacement or repair within a few years, multi-piece wheels tend to be made by the higher end companies and are a better construction that one piece cast wheels. In fact, often the nicer multi piece (such as HRE or IForged) are also forged, so you have the strength of a monoblock (one piece) forged rim, but the versatility of multi-piece construction.
Our seal on a WORK equips is leaking. But then thats just one wheel.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Type SSS

I prefer 2 piece wheels vs 3 piece. 3 Piece wheels may leak becase of silicon compound used to seal the wheels.

Had both 3 piece & 2 piece and I was never able to order separate piece so I can make it fit on another car.

Wheels I owned before or currently own.'

Racing Hart M5

SSR GT3

Volk Racing SF Challenge

Maido (Maya) GR5
Old 04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Not sure if this is true, but I heard something to the effect that a 3-piece wheel is stronger than a 1-piece wheel - i.e. stronger at withstanding a pothole hit?...

Is this true?...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Type SSS

Originally Posted by RawDogg
Not sure if this is true, but I heard something to the effect that a 3-piece wheel is stronger than a 1-piece wheel - i.e. stronger at withstanding a pothole hit?...

Is this true?...
I have not heard this before!!!!!

I think the main factor with strength wheel is how its made. Whether its forged or not. Even with casting, there are many different ways of casting. Some are stronger than other.

From what I also heard,

BBS has one of the best casting technology in wheel making.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Royal Flush

Originally Posted by ssk0771
I have not heard this before!!!!!

I think the main factor with strength wheel is how its made. Whether its forged or not. Even with casting, there are many different ways of casting. Some are stronger than other.

From what I also heard,

BBS has one of the best casting technology in wheel making.

Hey man....how 'bout some pics of your Z!!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Type SSS

Originally Posted by Republican TL
Hey man....how 'bout some pics of your Z!!
Here you go!!!!!!!

Check out this website.

www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100272

www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99806

It seems like I can't post pics here!!!