Tsw thruxton !!!! Need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tsw thruxton !!!! Need help

hi guys i have been debating on wheels for a long time and i had already thought i wouldn't do anything bigger than 18" but i came across a REALLY good deal. i can get these thruxton tsw wheels 20x8.5 straight from tsw for $104 a piece. that is around 440 after tax because i work for america's tire so they pay the shipping. i just need to know what you guys think. i wanted a black wheel but i guess i cant beat that price. not even on ebay for some cheap used wheels. my car is AM color so they may look good on it but i am still not sure. here are the links. thanks in advance for the opinions.

http://www.tsw.com/img/thruxton_blac..._pop_white.jpg

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_thruxton.php
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
hi guys i have been debating on wheels for a long time and i had already thought i wouldn't do anything bigger than 18" but i came across a REALLY good deal. i can get these thruxton tsw wheels 20x8.5 straight from tsw for $104 a piece. that is around 440 after tax because i work for america's tire so they pay the shipping. i just need to know what you guys think. i wanted a black wheel but i guess i cant beat that price. not even on ebay for some cheap used wheels. my car is AM color so they may look good on it but i am still not sure. here are the links. thanks in advance for the opinions.

http://www.tsw.com/img/thruxton_blac..._pop_white.jpg

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_thruxton.php
If you really wanted black wheels, you should wait for a deal on black wheels. I'm not sure you'll be happy settling for something that you don't exactly want just because it's a deal. Also, check prices on 20" tires - they can get expensive.

I wouldn't rock 20" wheels because it hurts performance and handling. My
Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had 19x8+40 and 19x9.5+35 (I think that was the offsets) Thruxons for about a year. I loved how they looked, but they were damn heavy, which is why I sold them. I know this isn't the color of you car, but this gives an idea of how they look, and a little whroing for me.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i know ive seen a pic here somewhere with black thruxtons. AckTL has thruxtons but in a gunmetal color.

a note on heavy wheels, i know on my 20s, i deff feel a difference in lower RPMs. needless to say tho, they look good
Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
If you really wanted black wheels, you should wait for a deal on black wheels. I'm not sure you'll be happy settling for something that you don't exactly want just because it's a deal. Also, check prices on 20" tires - they can get expensive.

I wouldn't rock 20" wheels because it hurts performance and handling. My
yup i know man but i do work part-time at america's tire, the tires i need to buy for stocks are around $105 each (245/40/17) and the ones for 20's are around $125 each (255/30/20) no installation, free warranty and all that stuff so i dont mind giving up the extra $. and i understand what u say about not settling for something just cuz its a deal, but i do like the wheels and design but its just the color. thanks for ur opinions though its always great to have other opinions.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by djmanu
i know ive seen a pic here somewhere with black thruxtons. AckTL has thruxtons but in a gunmetal color.

a note on heavy wheels, i know on my 20s, i deff feel a difference in lower RPMs. needless to say tho, they look good
well acktl must have gotten them painted because i just spoke directly with tsw and hey only make them in silver and in hyperblack, which is more of a dark gray than black. and the stocks weigh 26.7 lbs each and the tire weighs around 23 lbs according to the fitment guide i use at work, so all together the stock assembly is around 50 lbs each. and the thruxton 20's weigh 28.6 and the tires im looking at weigh around 18.5 pounds each (yokohama s-drives) so all together its a few pound less than stock assembly the only issue might be the bigger diameter bit its only .69 inches bigger so its not a big deal. it might throw off the speedometer a bit, if it reads 65 your really going 66.79 mph.

i think i might still be able to spin the wheels but if i dont it might be better so my tires last longer...lol..

thanks for the input man...
Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by Timb227
I had 19x8+40 and 19x9.5+35 (I think that was the offsets) Thruxons for about a year. I loved how they looked, but they were damn heavy, which is why I sold them. I know this isn't the color of you car, but this gives an idea of how they look, and a little whroing for me.

hey man i dont know how to quote two guys in one post but about them being heavy i explain it in the post above so take a look at it, and those look so sick man are these the hyperblack color or the silver ones? and also did you ever try to put in the acura center cap in them? and also how did you paint the acura logo in the trunk or did you buy it? thanks

Last edited by jr27; 10-31-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot to write something
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
hey man i dont know how to quote two guys in one post but about them being heavy i explain it in the post above so take a look at it, and those look so sick man are these the hyperblack color or the silver ones? and also did you ever try to put in the acura center cap in them? and also how did you paint the acura logo in the trunk or did you buy it? thanks
For some reason, maybe it was just in my head, my car was much slower accelerating with those on over the stock rims. I know for sure the rear rims were heavier than stock, the fronts could have been the same. I wouldn't think that TSW wheels would wiegh in lighter than stock wheels.

They are the hyperblack. I think I measured to see if the cap would fit, but it wouldn't. I painted the A on the trunk by taking it off, sanding it down, primer, spray paint, then a bunch of clear coats. I has all the paint laying around so it was free!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
wow they look really good!, generally aftermarket wheels are a little heavier, and the larger diameter adds to the car feeling a little slower IMO
Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by Timb227
For some reason, maybe it was just in my head, my car was much slower accelerating with those on over the stock rims. I know for sure the rear rims were heavier than stock, the fronts could have been the same. I wouldn't think that TSW wheels would wiegh in lighter than stock wheels.

They are the hyperblack. I think I measured to see if the cap would fit, but it wouldn't. I painted the A on the trunk by taking it off, sanding it down, primer, spray paint, then a bunch of clear coats. I has all the paint laying around so it was free!
cool. yeah well the 20x8.5 thruxtons are only 3 lbs heavier than stock 17x7.5 so its not much. how did you glue the logo back on the trunk? what brand of glue did you use?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 AM
2005 AM at/navi

thanks for the opinions guys, and i made my decision. i just ordered the wheels straight from tsw for $104 dollars each. i got the tires stright from hancook ( 255/30/20 ventus v12 evo) for $125 each. i figured that if i get tired of my wheels i will have no problem selling them for like $ 120 or something still making money off them since i did get them at this exclusive price. i got everything for like $1,000 since i pay no shipping or installation fees. ill post some pics when i install them this saturday or monday.