Trying lower my ride on H&R race springs but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying lower my ride on H&R race springs but....

So I'm trying to lower the front of my car on H&R race springs keeping the aspec shocks I had previously. The only problem is that the car no longer handles the way it used to(duh).

It is very sloppy, and bumpy compared to the aspec. Its also not as stiff, the car feels as if it was bopping all the time. Problem is that I LOVE the drop on these springs.

I was thinking of going back to aspec springs with koni yellow shocks on the lower perk.

My question is which will be closest to original aspec suspension while still accheiving more of a drop

Aspec springs with koni yellows with the lowest perk(which comofort setting should I use?) or the koni's with the h&R race?

PS I live in pothole city, NY. Thx.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
wait, only the front of your car is on the H&R race springs? you're saying you have Koni Sports all around with a-spec springs in the rear and H&R race springs in the front?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Racer

I don't know about the race springs, but i'm on the H&R sport springs with koni sport sp3s and they're not bouncy at all. H&R race springs are supposed to be stiffer than H&R sports. Did you adjust your dampening rate on the konis? You're going to need to put them somewhere near full still to dampen those monsters correctly.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Set the car up with Koni's on one full turn, and HR Race. These are just lovely. It also solved the bouncing issue I had when I was on the stock shocks. Thx everyone.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lumyeinjun
I don't know about the race springs, but i'm on the H&R sport springs with koni sport sp3s and they're not bouncy at all. H&R race springs are supposed to be stiffer than H&R sports. Did you adjust your dampening rate on the konis? You're going to need to put them somewhere near full still to dampen those monsters correctly.
You recommended full stiff, or full soft? thx.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Racer

I'm riding on H&R sports right now and i'm one full turn from stiff and it rides and handles great. The H&R race springs are stiffer than the sport springs, so i'd start from full stiff and do a few test runs to see how the suspension responds. If it's too still it wont handle well, so keep your rear seats off and keep slowly heading back towards soft while taking test runs and re-adjusting the dampening until you find the best results. I wouldn't doubt it if you end up keeping the dampening at 1/4 turns from stiff haha those springs are stiff!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Instructor

You'd be surprised man, I don't think they are that stiff, I used to have ASpec setup before which I think had stiffer springs. These actually feel kinda softer then the ASpecs. They ride surprisingly good over bumps etc considering I'm slammed.

I might go from 3/4th of a full turn and switch to 1 full turn so that hopefully I have a tad less movement on the passger side, which likes to occacionally rub with some imperfections on the road. But aside from all of this ride quality is up there. I'm really impressed. =D
Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Instructor

PS I'm a nut, the ride quality is what really kept me from slamming the car since I Got it, so when I say I'm impressed its cuz these are really good.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put on H&R Race springs last week. I was on stock springs.

I installed them, it lowerd my car and I was happy. Also to mention I am on stock shocks.

Ride quality does not compare to stock but its comfotable at least in south florida.

cornering, I feel some body roll but I have never had a large car before so I cannot compare.

I say pretty much its ok and looks aggresive.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Racer

^if you're looking for performance than I suggest getting some better shocks to go with your springs. The stock TL shocks were designed to go with the stock springs; it's a coilover setup. Stock shocks won't be able to dampen the new stiffer and lower H&R race springs, and if the ride can't be dampened properly, you lose out on handling. If you're just lowering the car for looks though, I guess you don't really have to worry about this issue haha, just don't expect springs alone are going to make the car handle better. Some people even suggest that lowering springs + stock shocks give you worse handling than the stock setup :/