Tread Depth - Is it Replacement Time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tread Depth - Is it Replacement Time?

I live in the Kansas City area, so I will use a A/S tire. My 2006 TL has the Bridgestone EL42's with 31K miles.

When I drove the car in the rain last week it really felt like it was sliding alot more than in the past, even had some spin on normal acceleration/starts at lights. I had not noticed this before.

I measured the remaining tread depth and the tires are all at 4/32, pretty much all the way across the tires - the wear is fairly even. The rears may be at 4.5/32 in the middle and 4/32 at the edges, but I won't split hairs.

Given where I live (snow/ice in winter) would you look at replacement now, or take it through the winter into next year? I know that minimum tread depth to be considered bald is 2/32 and recent testing in Consumer Reports and Tirerack.com has pushed to a change to recommending replacement at 4/32.

I have looked a the following A/S tires Goodyear F1 and GT, the Bridgestone RE960 PP, and the BFG g-Force SS. I am looking at replacing with the stock size of 235/45/17. The price range is about $550 installed (BFG) to $840 installed (RE960).

I would buy the Goodyear's at the local Goodyear service center (the sale they currently have is pretty much equal to Tirerack prices when considering all costs), the Bridgestones I would get a Sam's club, and the BFG from Tirerack.com.

I am leaning towards the Goodyear GT's. What do you think?

I am a relatively tame driver, but do like to push it once in a while....

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by cyclonemike; 11-17-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
If its worn down to the wear bars or you don't feel safe get rid of them.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Fresher the Better

Yes, get rid of them now. If you are in an accident due to sliding in poor weather, you'll regret not having purchased them now. With winter upon us, there's no better reason to upgrade you old tires.

Out of the ones you suggested, the GT will likely have the worst winter traction of the bunch. The BFG SS A/S seems like the most bang for the buck... and will give you excellent and quiet all-season traction and handling at the expense of a harsher ride.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Work work...

yea i would too

good tires are one of the best investment...stock tires suck
Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have pirelli p-zero nero m&s on my car, my second set, and have been really happy with them. i also got just over 40k out of the last set. i am switching out to dedicated snows this winter but i drove last winter in them and they did ok for a lower profile all season, they are just scary when it gets really deep. they are quiet and have good grip. just a suggestion, good luck!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 445 Posts
I would replace them before winter is upon us here in KC. With you being in OP, your roads will be in much better shape than those on the KCMO side. However with those tires already being that worn I would not trust them through the winter.

I am curious what you end up with and how well they do through the winter. I don't need tires this season, but probably by next winter and like you just want A/S not UHP.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned

3/32 is the minimum for n.c.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I went with the Goodyear GT's from the local shop. I will report back after some experience with them. The net price with rebates, including an alignment and lifetime rotate/balance, but not road hazard warranty, was $650 +/- one the Goodyear Card with 12 months same as cash.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Your intuition can't be wrong. If they don't feel good, change em out. Most people don't wait until they are totally worn at 2/32nds, most people change them right at 4/32nds. The law doesn't say to CHANGE them at 2/32nds: This limit means the tire is DEFINITELY UNSAFE to drive on. DO NOT wait till next winter, it won't make it even through this one! There should be more sales now than any part of the year!

The reason why other people also change their tires at 4/32nds is because, just like you said, they don't feel right. They obviously cannot evacuate even 25% of the water from under it compared to new. It is a safety issue. Why take a chance? Once you get the tires and get over the sticker shock, drive with them awhile. You DEFINITELY will not regret changing them once you feel the difference, you don't know what you are missing. People underestimate the impact on driving dynamics and safety tires make. A lot of engineering goes into them. Those Bridgestone tires you have are CRAP! as you well know from reading these forums. Get a good quality tire like you listed (GY F1s are an excellent choice.) the car will be like night and day and you won't look back. It may save your ass one day (not to mention your friends/family too!) and that is worth any price!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 11-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cyclonemike
I went with the Goodyear GT's from the local shop. I will report back after some experience with them. The net price with rebates, including an alignment and lifetime rotate/balance, but not road hazard warranty, was $650 +/- one the Goodyear Card with 12 months same as cash.
Actually the out the door price was $627....

First impression of the Eagle GT's. In nice weather - handling is much improved - turns like on rails. They ride just a little rougher and for now I don't notice any more road noise. However, I always have music or a book playing and don't really notice road noise as the TL is alot quieter than my other family vehicle - a Honda Odyssey.

Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced

It's not my money so I say replace them. After all, that is the only thing in contact with the road and if you're uncomfortable with the thought of winter weather driving, go with your gut. You should consider yourself lucky at not wrecking with the EL42s in the snow. I had those on mine and they didn't like the Ohio winters. I've seen the Eagle GTs and like the tread patch; looks pretty aggresive. Good luck
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
If I had a TL with EL-42's and it had 8/32nds, I still would pay to have them switched out. These tires are plain dangerous to drive on.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
once you go black....

when checking the tread depth, which treads do i measure? There are the two deeper grooves in the middle of the tire, but then the rest of the smaller treads are much shallower.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by timb24
when checking the tread depth, which treads do i measure? There are the two deeper grooves in the middle of the tire, but then the rest of the smaller treads are much shallower.

If they are different measure all of them and consider the lowest number. If they are not wearing evenly you need to check your air pressure more frequently. It sounds like you have been under inflating your tires.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yep- you need to check the pressure at least once a month- more with severe temp changes. The tread depth should be equal all the way across the tire (not the very edge)
The easy method to know how bad things are?
Stick a penny-face forward- with Lincolns head DOWN- It should slide in and cover part of his hat.
if all of the hat is visable, you have 3/32, ,,the minimum anyone should be at before replacement

read your owner book for winter driving tips
Be sure you know what the ABS and TCS feel like and when they will occur,,,and how to avoid needing them~

In Closing:
Really good tires and brakes are still cheaper than the insurance deductible~
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cyclonemike
Actually the out the door price was $627....

First impression of the Eagle GT's. In nice weather - handling is much improved - turns like on rails. They ride just a little rougher and for now I don't notice any more road noise. However, I always have music or a book playing and don't really notice road noise as the TL is alot quieter than my other family vehicle - a Honda Odyssey.

Mike
I now have about 3,300 miles on the GT's and thus far I am very happy with my purchase. Handling in the snow we have gotten this year (not much - the most was about 4" yesterday) is much better than the OEM tires and they do not seem to be developing any problems.

They will "flat spot" when allowed to sit for more than a day, but that works out within the first few miles and is noticable only at highway speeds.

Mike