Town Fair Tire idiotic corporate policy

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Town Fair Tire idiotic corporate policy

Let me start off by saying that I am not one to go running around the internet posting horrible things about businesses when there is one little thing they don't do well or one mistake that they have made. With that being said, I feel I had to post something about Town Fair Tire's moronic corporate policy.

It seems if you want to BUY tires from Town Fair Tire but have them mounted and installed on rims that are not currently ON your car, well then you are just sh*t outta luck. Now get this.....they will mount the tires on the rims, balance them, the whole 9 yards....they just won't bolt them onto your car ! Now I have to ask, what the hell is the difference if they mount the tires on the rims that are currently on the car or on rims that aren't yet on the car ??? I mean neither set of rims were purchased from them. I even called the corporate offices and asked them what logic was behind this policy. They gave me some lame line like it was a liability issue. What ???

I know what the policy is really for....it's to get people to buy a rim and tire package from THEM instead of buying tires from them and having them mounted on rims that were purchased elsewhere.

Does this policy seem bizarre to anyone else or am I just being a pill ?

I have purchased my tires from Town Fair Tire for the past 15 years. And in all fairness, this has nothing to do with the guys in the store in Enfield, CT. They are the best. It's just a shame that they work for a company that has a ludicrous policy such as this.

But maybe the Town Fair Tire Corporate office will take heed of my last statement just before I hung up, which was...."Congratulations, you've just lost an $800.00 tire sale".
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM
RickRoush03

sucks for them. there are so many stupid corporate policies like that out there, you just wonder which dumbass thought of it and who approved it. common sense in this world is in a flat spin and may not recover for a long time
Old 05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
I have a few cardinal rules and one of them is don't use Town Fair Tire. The are too high priced and have damaged too much stuff in the past. My Father in law regularly ignores this advice, uses TFT, and pays double what he should. He always asks me and then ignores me. I just don't get it. It's like they have him in a zombie trance.

Try the Enfield Costco. Their prices seem OK and there warranty is great. Might even be worth joining if you are not a member. I have personally noticed them using click-torque wrenched to tighten lugs as I walk by into the store. Me likey that, yes.
OR
See or call Roger at Rt. 10 Tire in Granby. He will get you anything you want and be less than TFT. He is also able to take shipments from Tire Rack ( at least he used to) but will often match Tire Racks price directly (if you include the shipping costs). Simple small business that is good to people.

My Neighbor also likes R&N Tire in Granby but I never used them.

Sounds like you aren't far from my area.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

I will second on Route 10 tire, good place
Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Maybe the don't want to get involved when the wheel don't fit for any number of reasons
Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Racer

Sounds like a pretty idiotic policy. Good info though since I was going to do the same thing you're doing Adam and was also going to use TFT. I called them up a while ago regarding Proxes 4 and the guy at the Framingham, MA store sounded pretty nice and said he'd match any Internet price I bring in as long as I included shipping. Looks like I'll be looking for a different place too...
Old 05-13-2006, 09:07 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK here is my story....I bought the PZero's online and previously had called Town Fair Tire to see the price on the install, they quoted me $25 ea, so I got the tires in and called them back to be told that they will not mount the tires now because I didn't buy them thru them, so I said fine (each TFT is independently owned so is not the Corporate decision but ea owner...)
I called R&N tire ( a hole in the wall tire store in Easty Granby RT 189) and asked them the same, so on Good Friday I was there at 7:30 am and was out of there at 8:30...is the third time I have done bussines with them ( I drive by their store every day since I work in Bloomfield CT) and the total was $85...the best thing is that you can actually watch them work w/out having them tell you.."..due to the Insurance policy you must wait in the lounge...."...like TFT says to you so that you don't see what's going on with your car...TFT sucks in my book and they rip ppl off especially those that don't do the research before hand, BTW before I ordered my tires from Discount Direct they could have ordered the PZeros for $195 ea.....do the math...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

Company Policy is Valid

HI

I know how you must feel about their company policy NOT to mount wheels on the vehicle that were not on the vehicle when you came to the store.

As a previous business owner, I know the liabilities involved should the wheels you brought in NOT be the proper fit for the vehicle. If they mount the those wheels on the car and you have an accident because they were not the right spec Town Fair would be liable for the accident.

There was no financial reason for their denial! There was no ulterior motive! They were just following company policies.

There was just no way for them to know that the wheels in the trunk were the correct wheels for the car and could not take a chance.

Had those wheels been on the vehicle when you drove in they would have been happy to complete the transaction.

I agree with their decision 100% and although you felt an injustice was done, they were only protecting themselves as they are the professionals and should something have happened after you drove off, the courts would have found Town Fair at fault.

I hope you can now understand.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I guess from a business view point it does make some logical sense to cover one's butt in terms of financial liability. Accidents caused by out of spec wheels/tires could leave a trail back to the business. In any case how hard is it to mount wheels onto your own car? Very easy. Takes about 10 minutes, and maybe 30 mins tops for noobs.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Welcome to the "I can and will sue anyone for anything" age. Businesses have to cover their ass now more than ever. Their decision makes sense to me. I would rather put the wheels on my own car myself because idiots inhabit tire shops and can fuck up anything and everything. Therefore, I don't give them a chance to touch my car anymore than they have to. It sounds like this particular chain over charges for product and work anyway.. so find a new tire shop and build a relationship with them. Personally, I try to go to places that aren't a part of corporate America. There's more incentive to give a better deal.

Last edited by TheDingo; 12-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I enjoy being in the military, not only do we get discounts on the tires, we can just take the tires to the base auto hobby shop and have them mounted and ballenced without any questions. The only issue with my local hobby shop is that they can only ballance up to 18", so for my 19's I have to ballance them somewhere else.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDingo
Welcome to 2006.

Fixored.

Beware:

Thread.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
^ LOL

damn I didnt even notice the date on the OP! Steve must be very passionate about his tire shop insurance policy conversation!
The following users liked this post:
Bearcat94 (12-20-2011)