TL 05 OEM Wheel locks safe or not?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 08:16 AM
Pro

TL 05 OEM Wheel locks safe or not?????

I have a set of RJ 3pf devotion wheels coming in this month . Does anyone know how safe our wheel locks are? How many patterns are out there for the wheel locks? I dont want my car to be on four concrete blocks one day when I wake up!!!!

Thanks
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:54 AM
Administrator

There are only 6, or in rare cases 12, patterns for the wheel locks.

There are only a couple or so major companies making wheel locks. McGard is the one that Acura uses now.

The wheel locks will only stop the amateur who goes out with a lug wrench and tries to steal your wheels, but it won't stop the professional because he either has all the keys or he knows how to get the locking nuts off.

If you want to be extra safe, you could buy an off-brand aftermarket set and use both sets on each wheel, on the off chance that the thief doesn't have a key for both of them.

But the determined professional will get them if he wants them.

That is what insurance is for.
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:04 AM
Pro

I dont think insurance covers aftermarket parts? Maybe if you tell them you have aftermarket wheels they will but than there goes my already high rate even higher ($200 a month for insurance)!
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I just bought 1pfs. Rondog provided acorn (angled) wheel lugs with mine, he likely did with yours, too. It doesn't appear that our Honda locks, which have a rounded end, will fit. Even if they did, I wouldn't use them for exactly the reason Ron A states above. I just bought a set of Gorilla locking lugs (set of 20) and plan to install them when I install the wheels in a couple months (damned winter.... ).

Rondog will probably comment as his word is the definitive one.

HTH.
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:43 AM
Racer

I'm interested in what RonJon has to say. I was on my way to work today and saw a Jaguar X-Type on cinder blocks. It looked like they jacked the car up but let it fall on it's front. The back was propped by the blocks but the front was sitting on the rotors. All the tires were gone. It made me start thinking about wheel locks. My Maxima has wheel locks (from Nissan) but I don't have anything on the TL.

I'm also looking to get some rims this summer.
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nandito28
I have a set of RJ 3pf devotion wheels coming in this month . Does anyone know how safe our wheel locks are? How many patterns are out there for the wheel locks? I dont want my car to be on four concrete blocks one day when I wake up!!!!

Thanks
Is that your ride in the avatar?
You car looks sweet with them wheels!
What are they? 19's? What Brand?
Can we get a close up shot??

Oh, btw, im not aure about them locks, but i do know you can buy aftermarket ones @ just about any shop.
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Acura has a master lock in the dealerships, so if your asking if it's 100% theft proof, then the answer is .
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by misterlien
Is that your ride in the avatar?
You car looks sweet with them wheels!
What are they? 19's? What Brand?
Can we get a close up shot??

Oh, btw, im not aure about them locks, but i do know you can buy aftermarket ones @ just about any shop.
Thats a photoshop...soon to be a reality once the wheels come in.
RonJon 3 pf Devotions 19X8.5, finish (face/lip):Flat Black/Chrome

If you want the big pic...pm you email or post whatever makes you comfortable.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:27 AM
Pro

I want to get some Black lug nuts that look just the OEM stuff and of course the wheel locks....Imma try to find out if Mcgard makes our OEM lug nuts but in black with the wheels locks. I'm pretty sure we have to use OEM lug nuts on the 3 PF devotions...not sure about the 1 PF wheels...it might be different for these wheels.
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
Acura has a master lock in the dealerships, so if your asking if it's 100% theft proof, then the answer is .
My real question is what is the best way to deter/prevent theft. Is it multiple wheel locks?
Old 01-03-2006 | 10:35 AM
Pro

Im pretty sure I might have to go with an alarm. Do not want to regret it later!
Old 01-03-2006 | 11:25 AM
Racer

Im pretty sure I might have to go with an alarm. Do not want to regret it later!
I guess there's really nothing you can do if a thief wants something from your car. My previous car had an alarm and it was still broken into 4 times last year. I don't think anyone really cares if an alarm goes off. The only thing I like is the "start kill" option.

Details from the 4 break-ins:

1st time -
Attempted to pry the drivers door and dented car.
Broke the passenger quarter panel window
Stole radio and items (coin holder, screwdriver, etc) in armrest
Pry marks on dash
Popped trunk and disconnected battery to disable alarm

2nd time -
Attempted to pry the passenger door and dented car.
Broke the passenger quarter panel.
Popped trunk and cut alarm horn wires.
Stole ashtray that contained coins.
Stole prescription sunglasses

3rd time -
Attempted to break lock. In the process they almost took the entire handle out and broke the lock. My window wouldn't come down all the way and that's how I knew someone messed with the car. When I took a closer look at the door I noticed a small pry mark by the handle and then I took my door apart to fix it. I had to fabricate some brackets to hold the handle back in because Honda doesn't sell those brackets seperately. I don't think they actually got in the car this time.

4th time -
Broke the passenger side window.
Broke the paneling underneath the steering column.
Pulled and cut wires underneath the steering wheel to disable alarm.
Stole handsfree headset.
I think they were trying to find the "kill switch" this time to steal the car.

After the 4th time. I fixed the window and sold it. 3 weeks later I had a TL.

Sorry for the long story. Just wanted to let it be known that alarms really don't help.
Old 01-03-2006 | 11:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Get some locks...put em on and be done with it. As RonA states....there gonna get em if they want em....and trust me....if they want em and you have prevented them from taking them with 5 sets of locks on each rim...you are gonna wish they had gotten away with them as they will just screw your rims up/scratch em/ding em/smash wrech into em/ect. Then what are you left with.....bet you wish they would have gotten stolen then so you would just be talking a new set with your insurance company!

PS-I have never informed my insurance co about that kind of stuff (mods) until there is a problem. They will cover it as long as you have a sales slip. And I have been all the way to a total loss vehicle (stolen mini pickup) with IROC rims/tires and full Blaupunkt/MTX/ stereo system . . . no prob as long as I could provide reciept. (they already had past pics from a minor wreck I had before proving they were on there...but I recommend pics for proof after the fact...so they dont think you are making it up to inflate the claim)
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Geez dude...stop tripping! You are 22 years old....get over it! Learn this right off....and at 22 you should know this......YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING OUT THE ASS FOR INSURANCE....feel secure in the fact that they are gonna take care of the problem if it occurs and that if it does occur....it was nothing personal....its a thief for gods sake! You act as if you life would end if somebody stole your rims or car. Get over it. Its just a car. This is what your insurance is for. And as earlier stated....with all you are going through....you are just gonna piss some thief off and get vandalized resulting in you WISHING they would have taken it so you would be talking "getting new replacement stuff" instead of getting estimates for repairs and then all the while...still having the - what once was new but now is fixed stuff? If they steal it...you are all new again! Full coverage insurance....know it....live it....love it....and for gods sake you are paying enough for it....BE COMFORTABLE AND LIVE UNDER IT! Thats what it is there for. They are gonna give it to you up the ass no matter what on your regular rates anyway, given your age....so LIVE UNDER THE PROTECTION AND SENSE OF SECURITY THAT YOU POLICY SHOULD PROVIDE FOR YOU AND THAT YOU PAY FOR EVERY MONTH!
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
PS-I have never informed my insurance co about that kind of stuff (mods) until there is a problem. They will cover it as long as you have a sales slip. And I have been all the way to a total loss vehicle (stolen mini pickup) with IROC rims/tires and full Blaupunkt/MTX/ stereo system . . . no prob as long as I could provide reciept. (they already had past pics from a minor wreck I had before proving they were on there...but I recommend pics for proof after the fact...so they dont think you are making it up to inflate the claim)
Good to know, thanks!
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:21 PM
Pro

Geez dude...stop tripping! You are 22 years old....get over it! Learn this right off....and at 22 you should know this......YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING OUT THE ASS FOR INSURANCE....feel secure in the fact that they are gonna take care of the problem if it occurs and that if it does occur....it was nothing personal....its a thief for gods sake! You act as if you life would end if somebody stole your rims or car. Get over it. Its just a car. This is what your insurance is for. And as earlier stated....with all you are going through....you are just gonna piss some thief off and get vandalized resulting in you WISHING they would have taken it so you would be talking "getting new replacement stuff" instead of getting estimates for repairs and then all the while...still having the - what once was new but now is fixed stuff? If they steal it...you are all new again! Full coverage insurance....know it....live it....love it....and for gods sake you are paying enough for it....BE COMFORTABLE AND LIVE UNDER IT! Thats what it is there for. They are gonna give it to you up the ass no matter what on your regular rates anyway, given your age....so LIVE UNDER THE PROTECTION AND SENSE OF SECURITY THAT YOU POLICY SHOULD PROVIDE FOR YOU AND THAT YOU PAY FOR EVERY MONTH!
I've been in more than few accidents (none my fault), theifs have tried to get into my 00 civic si before...all of these things are headaches with the police and insurance companies!!!!....yes they do get replaced and I agree it is JUST a car! all I'm trying to do is prevent! its not like im sleeping in the trunk with the emergency release (if we have one)in one and a spiked bat on the other wishing for someone to try me! I dont want the theif to be successfull!!!
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:27 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I've been in more than few accidents (none my fault), theifs have tried to get into my 00 civic si before...all of these things are headaches with the police and insurance companies!!!!....yes they do get replaced and I agree it is JUST a car! all I'm trying to do is prevent! its not like im sleeping in the trunk with the emergency release (if we have one)in one and a spiked bat on the other wishing for someone to try me! I dont want the theif to be successfull!!!
I know where you are coming from....and what I am saying is IN SOME CASES....YOU JUST MIGHT WISH THAT THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL BY THE TIME THEY GIVE UP! Getting something repaired instead of replaced is not good. Especially when it was new to you. If its gone....its replaced. If its still there...its up for discussion. Thats what I am saying. If/When they want it and you have prevented then from getting it with a million wheel locks...they are just gonna dupe the rim before they give up...if for nothing to spite you. And by the way...what would be wrong with them stealing rims that were 8 months old and getting brand new ones again. Sometimes that can be the glory in an otherwise grim tale! The deductible comes into effect here too....if they only damage the rim so much...it very well might not even be beyond your deductible....meaning you are gonna wish after that- that instead of paying a $135 rim repair job and having used rims...that you were paying a $200 deductible and getting a brand new matching set of 4 of rims and tires that were stolen cleanly!
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:37 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

its not like im sleeping in the trunk with the emergency release (if we have one)in one and a spiked bat on the other wishing for someone to try me! I dont want the theif to be successfull!!!
Reminds me of the monkey theft deterrent system
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:48 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Reminds me of the monkey theft deterrent system
Wasnt that followed up by the Ronco Bathroom Monkey? (cleaning monkey)
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:00 PM
Pro

I know where you are coming from....and what I am saying is IN SOME CASES....YOU JUST MIGHT WISH THAT THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL BY THE TIME THEY GIVE UP! Getting something repaired instead of replaced is not good. Especially when it was new to you. If its gone....its replaced. If its still there...its up for discussion. Thats what I am saying. If/When they want it and you have prevented then from getting it with a million wheel locks...they are just gonna dupe the rim before they give up...if for nothing to spite you. And by the way...what would be wrong with them stealing rims that were 8 months old and getting brand new ones again. Sometimes that can be the glory in an otherwise grim tale! The deductible comes into effect here too....if they only damage the rim so much...it very well might not even be beyond your deductible....meaning you are gonna wish after that- that instead of paying a $135 rim repair job and having used rims...that you were paying a $200 deductible and getting a brand new matching set of 4 of rims and tires that were stolen cleanly!
Yeah I feel you on that! thanks for the insurance co photo thing. I really didn't know that.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:16 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yeah I feel you on that! thanks for the insurance co photo thing. I really didn't know that.
Yes...definately a good idea for proof so they dont think you are running their bill up at claim time like some people do.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:35 PM
lilvinnyb

Alarm!!

Viper has an alarm that has a "tilt sensor". The sensor resets itself everytime the car is turned off and goes off when the angle of the car changes.

Im planning on one of those myself and have already looked into it.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by lilvinnyb
Viper has an alarm that has a "tilt sensor". The sensor resets itself everytime the car is turned off and goes off when the angle of the car changes.

Im planning on one of those myself and have already looked into it.
A good thief does not even lift your car high enough to activate an alarm to steal the rims. Barely off the ground by less than a 1/4 inch.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:40 PM
lilvinnyb

A good thief does not even lift your car high enough to activate an alarm to steal the rims. Barely off the ground by less than a 1/4 inch.

True, assuming he knows you have a tile sensor and that is not set for the minimum angle. BTW. are the OEM lug nuts for the acura tl "balled" or acord. My devotion used the oem log nuts and they fit perfectly.
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

True, assuming he knows you have a tile sensor and that is not set for the minimum angle. BTW. are the OEM lug nuts for the acura tl "balled" or acord. My devotion used the oem log nuts and they fit perfectly.
I said a good thief.....they are gonna assume that regardless. Not to mention our doors kind of blink at the led?
Old 01-03-2006 | 01:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by XtraKrispy
I guess there's really nothing you can do if a thief wants something from your car. My previous car had an alarm and it was still broken into 4 times last year. I don't think anyone really cares if an alarm goes off. The only thing I like is the "start kill" option.
I remember reading an article about a guy who did custom alarm installation for high-end vehicles in the LA area. One of the things he did was to wire smoke bombs into the alarm circuit. His thinking was that many thieves would ignore a car alarm siren, but few people would stick around a car they thought was on fire.

There are also things that can be done to make a car alarm harder to silence, like installing it in an unusual location, with a small back-up battery.
Old 01-03-2006 | 02:00 PM
Pro

BTW. are the OEM lug nuts for the acura tl "balled" or acord. My devotion used the oem log nuts and they fit perfectly.
I'm not sure...But now I know for sure that OEM will fit the devotions! I want the OEM lug nuts but in black to compliment the flat black face (Yeah I know the lip is chrome!). The Wheel cap is gonna be black and white (the acura symbol being the white part)
Old 01-03-2006 | 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Dude, read my above post. All Hondas (Acuras are Hondas too) use "Honda lugs", which have a rounded base. The OEM wheels are made to accept these rounded lugs. The locks are the same.
Old 01-03-2006 | 03:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shockwave
I remember reading an article about a guy who did custom alarm installation for high-end vehicles in the LA area. One of the things he did was to wire smoke bombs into the alarm circuit. His thinking was that many thieves would ignore a car alarm siren, but few people would stick around a car they thought was on fire.

There are also things that can be done to make a car alarm harder to silence, like installing it in an unusual location, with a small back-up battery.
I like that a lot. Although I just wouldn't want my car to smell like smoke...but I guess that's better than getting my stuff stolen.

Can't we just send electric shocks to those people who activate the alarm and then enter the vehicle? I also like the webcam security option where you can take pictures of people inside your car. At least you'll have a picture of him to hand to the police.
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:23 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Hey can you post a large size pick of your avatar? Wana use that to photoshop my car and see how it'll look! HAHAHAHA, sorry I know its off subject. Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:34 PM
Pro

I dont know how to post...PM me you email and I'll send it to you via email?

BTW my avatar is a photoshop...later this month soon to become a reality!
Old 01-05-2006 | 03:53 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Thats a good ps job. pm sent
Old 01-06-2006 | 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, the Devotion-3pF is designed specifically for the OEM lug nuts ball seat compatibility, not the standard cone seat which goes on our other wheels. And the only difference on the Locking lugs would be the shape of the wrench head, so yes, it will fit fine.
Old 01-06-2006 | 05:05 PM
Instructor

Rondog - any issue with Inspyres?
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Street
Rondog - any issue with Inspyres?
Ya know, one wheel with a single lock won't o any damage even tho technically you are supposed to use the cone seat locking lug nuts that can be picked up from pep boys or auto zone. I used them before and didn't have a problem when I first had the wheels on, then I opted to keep them off after changing the wheels became a hassle.

Besides, the locking lug only needs 80 lb feet of torque as do the rest of the lugs, that isn't enuf pressure to damage the wheel seat at all. Now if you use an ipact wrench like 90% of tire shops do, then you can mess the wheel seat up with the wrong shape lug. Keep in mind we are talkign about the Inspyre and Servo, not the Devotion-3pF. thee Devotion-1pF uses its own lugs which are same a sinspyre and Servo, a conical 12 x 1.5 lug.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
I work at an Acura Dealership. There are 12 different lock lug key patterns for the 19mm lugs. The new RL's have larger lugs and thus their own set of 10 lug keys. The best way to be sure your wheels will be safe is to use 5 different lock lugs (either all oem, all aftermarket, or a mixture of both) for each wheel and find a really well hidden place to keep them in the car, just incase you have to put on that tacky spare wheel.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:40 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by drsparke
I work at an Acura Dealership. There are 12 different lock lug key patterns for the 19mm lugs. The new RL's have larger lugs and thus their own set of 10 lug keys. The best way to be sure your wheels will be safe is to use 5 different lock lugs (either all oem, all aftermarket, or a mixture of both) for each wheel and find a really well hidden place to keep them in the car, just incase you have to put on that tacky spare wheel.
It is always a good idea to have at least 2 different brand lock lugs per wheel to make it more difficult for the theives. I had that for my previous 2 cars and never had a problem.