tires wont stop spinning!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires wont stop spinning!!!!

This is ridiculous..... I got a 6MT TL in July with the all-seasons thinking that i would keep them/and the wheels as my winters, and get some 19's with perf tires....but i just havnt been able to get the new rims/tires yet...IM HAVING SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS

I've already got a $200 ticket and 2points on my liscense because of tire noise....Shifting into second gear and even sometimes third with any more agressiveness than a grandmother makes the tires chirp

If I touch the gas pedal AT ALL while I'm turning, the tires break loose again

AND THEYRE LOUD!!!

I'm almost afraid to drive my car, two more points and my liscense is gone for a year....

Is this just me, or are these tires absolutely horrible???????
Old 09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Your joking right ? Seriously since July you haven't been able to get used to the car enough to not chirp the tires between gears on hard accels? It took me a while to get used to the clutch but chirping was never a problem. Perhaps an occasional "scuffing" as a corner "got light" when accelerating (turning into) traffic from a stop. VSA will have some affect on this but you'd see the light come on if you were using it so I guess you turned it off. Which is probably good in your case as you would be burning up more stuff.

So unless your dragging a body under the car or something else that is making your particular car put less weight on its wheels then I suggest you practice a bit more with the whole gas/clutch thing. Don't mean to be rude but the car is pretty controllable.

And yes, if they are the EL42s then they do in-fact suck.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Thought I knew what chirping was, but maybe not...is this like squealing your tires (ie flooring it at a light or taking a turn too fast)? How do you get a ticket for this?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Bring It

Yea, cops can get u if your tires screech or chirp. i got threatened with reckless driving one time in my mustang.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Shift_faster

When I used to have my EL42s, I could chirp into 2nd gear, and of course spin ridiculously from a stop. That is when I wanted to chirp, not because the car made me.

Perhaps Adobeman is correct, that you need more practice. Or maybe your tire tread has diminished to such a level that you literally chirp everywhere. I think the latter might be much less likely.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by dezzzmond
Yea, cops can get u if your tires screech or chirp. i got threatened with reckless driving one time in my mustang.
That's ridiculous! There were plenty of times in my old car that I'd whip a turn well within the safe limts of the car and screech the tires because they were cheap...hell, I've even done it in the TL with my suspension mods and 19" Toyo's (that was fun, let me tell ya!)...I'm sorry, but I just find this unbelievable and utterly ridiculous...

Of course, I did watch a guy spin his tires and when they finally caught, he lost control and instantly plowed into a telephone pole...he went through the windshield (no seat belt), the telephone pole broke in half, and his Porsche was trashed. Overall, I found it quite humorous, as did his friends he was trying to impress...oddly enough, the cops who came and found his drunk @$$ hiding in his friends' house didn't...go figure...

However, that is totally different than screeching/chirping from having cheap tires or improper shifting...one I can see as reckless, the other clearly is not...
Old 09-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

Ummm, yeah....i def CAN control the chirping issue 99% of the time, but there are those time when I am def not trying to make a noise at all, especially when turning a corner... I've had other people in the car start laughing, claiming how ridiculous it is that the tires break loose so easily...I know how to drive the car, and i know how to make the tires chirp.....but sometimes its just not a choice....AND THE COPS DONT GIVE A @$^! ----- I just dont see how/why i should be forced into taking 30seconds to reach 60mph if i dont want the tires to break loose, it sucks man.......... I'm assuming, that if I were to purchase some better gripping tires, this wouldnt be as much of a problem?? What's everyone's fav tires for 19"x8.5 rims...thats what ill have to do i guess
Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

My Toyo's are awesome! My 19's ride better than my 17's with the Bridgestones. I've only squealed them once on a turn, but I was going WAY yoo fast
Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to lighten up on the gas and or learn how to drive. Don't blame the car blame the driver. I have driven some fast cars in my days and you can control it if you are a good driver. SO with that it leads me to believe that you need more practice or need to stop showing off for your friends. Sorry if I am coming off like an asshat that's just what I have gathered by your posts. Oh and it honestly shouldn't be that bad if VSA is on.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
professional TL driver

leave traction control on.... that should solve most of your problem, i have to work to get my car to chirp or break the tires loose, with the traction control on its next to impossible....

so unless your turning the wheel to full lock and goosing it with the vsa off im gonna have to call BS

the stock tires are bad... there not that bad....
Old 09-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
upgrade your tires to Falken Ziex's or Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro

Check your air pressure too. I know on some of previous cars, when the tires got a bit low they would start to squeal around corners.

As for the TL, it does take a little effort to squeak them....but on every aggressive 1-2 shift, even with the VSA on, I get a little chirp. I even got a slight chirp into 3rd once. I love it! I have the factory Michelin Pilots on mine.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:09 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by dezzzmond
True, but only if the cop thinks you're a bad/careless/reckless driver and/or thinks you were doing it intentionally.

We all know the EL42's suck, but mine only squeal when I'm making a sharp/quick turn... never have these tires squeal from regular shifting - @ uphill, downhill or flat.

2 more points til suspension @ 21 = you're an agressive/careless/reckless driver.

Unless they suspend your license at 5 points or something...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It sounds like user error to me.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Cruisin'

so basically...... maybe my tires are defective in some way... i absolutely know that no matter how i drive, there is going to tire squeel....

this totally wouldn't surprise me at all.... my car's got 6000 miles on it and ive already had WAYYY too many other problems with it

1. Steering wheel had to be re-centered twice already
2. Fuel rail had to be replaced
3. Fuel injectors had to be replaced
4. 8 rattles fixed, and ive got a few new ones that i have a service appointment for already
5. Sub-woofer broken and was replaced
6. Now, to top it all off... my third gear is acting funny --> sometimes shifter seems to not want to go into 3rd, i have to wait a second, then try to put it in again, and it goes in fine ----> ive actually had it pop back out of gear on my a few times

I dont mean to take the topic in a diff direction but... maybe ill start a new one