Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires

Hi, can anyone reccomend racing tires for me. I have a 1999 TL with stock tires and rims. I would like to know what racing tires are out there that would let me really burn some rubber on my TL? Any reccomendations would be great. THANKS!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think burning rubber comes from the tires, unless they are completely bald. Secondly, you need a car with way more power to be able to realllllly burn rubber. I mean mine on occassion will make a screaching noise, but not enough for people to turn around and go "who the hell is making that noise". Thirdly, you shouldn't be burning rubber in a FWD car. Go and get a muscle car like a 5.0 Mustang, and then burn some fat a*s rubber!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned

Ok, but still, racing tires are supposed to improve performance, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any that would fit on a 1999 TL?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used Bridgestone Potenza's before, and am very fond of them. They tend to stick to the road quite well, however I did go through that set in like 10K miles. I wasn't too happy. I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Turanza's, but havn't had the chance to drive on them yet. I'll post again tomorrow nite after I get my car back from the body shop to let you know how those tires are. Apparently they are supposed to be really good tires.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sc354
I don't think burning rubber comes from the tires, unless they are completely bald. Secondly, you need a car with way more power to be able to realllllly burn rubber. I mean mine on occassion will make a screaching noise, but not enough for people to turn around and go "who the hell is making that noise". Thirdly, you shouldn't be burning rubber in a FWD car. Go and get a muscle car like a 5.0 Mustang, and then burn some fat a*s rubber!
um...you dont need way more power to burn rubber in our car...if you cant do it...you just dont know how...ive done a 3-5 second stand still before and it made everyone at the party i was at look even with the loud music...i could have went longer but i didnt want to waste all of my tread...and shouldnt be burning rubber in a front wheel drive car?....whats your reason for that?...the only type of drivtrain you shouldnt/cant burn rubber with is 4wd and awd....

anyway..performance tires would make it harder to "burn rubber" but they are a good investment...get a good sticky set for driving...and you can burn up your old set...ive got bridgestone SO3's...they stick alot better then the stock michlens...noiser tho...and they pick up everything on the road...like metal..small stones..it all gets embedded in their...but any really sticky tire will do that also...my car used to peel out if i floored it from a stop..now its a chirp or too...its a big improvment...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by njtls
[B]um...you dont need way more power to burn rubber in our car...if you cant do it...you just dont know how...ive done a 3-5 second stand still before

what is your method

i know burning your tires is immature and pointless and i wouldnt do it to impress people

but c'mon its so fun

i have not been able to get a good burnout especially now w/ my new yokos

what do you do? power brake ? Neutral drop (i aint doin that)?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Black-n-Tan

what is your method

i know burning your tires is immature and pointless and i wouldnt do it to impress people

but c'mon its so fun

i have not been able to get a good burnout especially now w/ my new yokos

what do you do? power brake ? Neutral drop (i aint doin that)?
never nuetral drop....its not hard in a fornt whell drive...just crake agaisnt the torque converter...then floor it after you let go of the brake and once you feel the tire first lose grip( will happen fast) hit the ebrake...and you have it...depending on what kinda surface your doing it on...if you let go of the ebrak..sometimes you wont move (stand still)....somtimes your tires start gripping and you get a nice cloud of smoke behind you as you pull away...
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I put on Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's all around. They are noticably better than the stock Michelins, especially in the rain and cornering (no squeeling!). However, I don't think they are as great in the snow department.