Tire Shop says TPMS won't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tire Shop says TPMS won't fit?

19x8 Tork Imagine, 245/35/19 Exclaim UHP's, new OEM TPMS sensors, 06 TL

Let me start by saying that my exact wheel/tire/OEM TPMS setup has been put on the same 04-06 model TL. So, I shouldn't have anything to worry about, right?

The local chain tire shop near me just called up and said that the TPMS sensors are sticking out at such an odd ("45 degree's") angle that when they attempt to install the tires, it would snap the sensor stem off, or maybe he meant the inner sensor. I told him that a member has done the exact same setup and he got kinda smart-assy on me. I told him to just do the alignment and I'll find a shop that can.

So, is it their equipment or their ability that isn't capable? I'm stuck until the wife can help me relocate in a couple hours but I want to be sure the next place will get it done.

Anybody have any guidance on this issue?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
it is installer error, it takes skills to mount the tire with the sensor on

some tire shops just mount the tire, then break the bead need the valve stem and install the sensor then
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure you don't need a bracket and clamp combo to hold them on?

I think there are very few wheels that the sensor just bolts right up to without the clamps or brackets.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
19x8 Tork Imagine, 245/35/19 Exclaim UHP's, new OEM TPMS sensors, 06 TL

Let me start by saying that my exact wheel/tire/OEM TPMS setup has been put on the same 04-06 model TL. So, I shouldn't have anything to worry about, right?

The local chain tire shop near me just called up and said that the TPMS sensors are sticking out at such an odd ("45 degree's") angle that when they attempt to install the tires, it would snap the sensor stem off, or maybe he meant the inner sensor. I told him that a member has done the exact same setup and he got kinda smart-assy on me. I told him to just do the alignment and I'll find a shop that can.

So, is it their equipment or their ability that isn't capable? I'm stuck until the wife can help me relocate in a couple hours but I want to be sure the next place will get it done.

Anybody have any guidance on this issue?
Man they must not have the experience. I had these wheels. My sensors where installed and tires mounted all with in 1 hour. I never had a problem with the wheels.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TrevorT
You sure you don't need a bracket and clamp combo to hold them on?

I think there are very few wheels that the sensor just bolts right up to without the clamps or brackets.
you dont need a clamp. They need to be properly torqued and will hold fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
practicing nihilist

nhousepro got the same feet while back and there bolted up without a hitch. The chain store tried recommending to their 'performance shop'...I told them to get bent and thanks for the grease prints on the interior to remember you by.

Ended up going to the shop my dealership uses for aftermarket applications. Rolled up 45 min's before they closed and 40 minutes later I had wheels on my car, with TPMS.

Did get the TPMS warning light on the way home but I think I read something about resetting it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
nhousepro got the same feet while back and there bolted up without a hitch. The chain store tried recommending to their 'performance shop'...I told them to get bent and thanks for the grease prints on the interior to remember you by.

Ended up going to the shop my dealership uses for aftermarket applications. Rolled up 45 min's before they closed and 40 minutes later I had wheels on my car, with TPMS.

Did get the TPMS warning light on the way home but I think I read something about resetting it.

No need to reset. They will self adjust after a few miles.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM
practicing nihilist

yeah, they just keep throwing the warning. Shop said dealer needs to reset the system but I've been reading that they either work or a sensor is bad.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
practicing nihilist

*Update*

Called the dealership. Tech told me the sensors have to be coded to the system. I asked him if using my old sensors would have fixed it and he said maybe.

$110 to re-map the sensors. Still wonder if one of the sensors is bad...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Instructor

I had a sensor read bad for 2 days and then fix itself, worked fine since.

Maybe try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and pulling the "clock" fuse from the interior fuse panel. This should reset the ECU and let it go through a diagnostic upon first start up.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
practicing nihilist

bigger light show

Now I've got a VSA light. Last night I pulled the clock fuse - didn't fix it. Pulled the negative battery terminal after that - still no change. I turned the VSA off yesterday and the VSA light came on a few minutes later and won't extinguish. This sucks.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Yeah a basic reset won't wipe a soft code in the ECU. Your gonna have to take it the dealer for that one or a mechanic with a universal code reader that can wipe it for ya.

Your ABS and VSA is tied into those sensors so that might be why it "threw" the VSA code.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by TrevorT
Yeah a basic reset won't wipe a soft code in the ECU. Your gonna have to take it the dealer for that one or a mechanic with a universal code reader that can wipe it for ya.

Your ABS and VSA is tied into those sensors so that might be why it "threw" the VSA code.
Like a standard universal code reader from the auto parts store, right? I've heard people mention the other black boxes, like TPMS and such, and was wondering if only the dealership can trouble shoot those specifically.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
practicing nihilist

fixed

Had a leak up front and a bad TPMS sensor in the rear. Acura gave me a replacement and the tire shop swapped as well as fixed the leak.

So far, TPMS, VSA and '!' are extinguished and haven't returned.

Guy told me something interesting for those that don't have wheels setup for factory TPMS. He said they installed all 4 sensors in the spare to keep the system happy (didn't say what make). I don't know about the sensors just rattling around unsecured, but innovative if it works.