tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire replacement

I have gone through many posts and they are all helpful, I am pretty much going to buy Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S as an oem tire replacement. my michelin mxm4's suck in the snow. How many here are running that tire and how do you like it? I have seen them on tirerack.com for a good price. Before I dive in I wanted to make sure I am making a good buy.

also how does the tire pressure system work? Is it a sensor that attaches to the inner barrel of the rim or something? I am just going to my mechanic and asking him to swap the old tires with the new ones..will he know how to changeover the tpms sensors?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TPMS works with any tire. The sensor is under the valve stem and is one piece as I recall. Any competent shop will know how to handle them. As to the GY tire... came across some serious QC issues with them last year that ultimately resulting in me buying another brand. They put a total of six on my wheels to get them to pass a road force balancing. Ride quality sucked.

I got the Bridgestone 960 A/S tire that was fine for a while, but ride quality was terrible after storing the car for the summer. I'm now rolling around on Michelin A/S Pilot Plus tires that I like very much.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by darksky
I got the Bridgestone 960 A/S tire that was fine for a while, but ride quality was terrible after storing the car for the summer.
A lot of tires are going to exhibit that behavior when the tires have been sitting for a while in the cold. If the tire incorporates nylon belts, it's going to do that. It will go away shortly after driving.

Personally I haven't had a problem with this, and I keep one of my cars outside for weeks at a time.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by newbieny
I am pretty much going to buy Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S as an oem tire replacement. my michelin mxm4's suck in the snow.
I debated about getting that tire are well. However, they slipped in the tire rack rankings from #1 all the way down to #8. Read the comments, there are a crap load of complaints about balancing issues, noise, and treadwear.

I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on all my cars right now. They did fantastic in the snow in the storm we got a few weeks ago where we got 27" of snow. (Tho I only took out the TL when there was around a foot of snow. We live on a hill, and they still did fantastic. The RE960AS rate better in the snow than the Eagle F1/AS)

The RE960AS also have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty. I think it's the only tire in its class that has any kind of warranty. So if you tires wear out at 20,000 miles (like many complained about with the Goodyears), you'll at least get some money back.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@avs - I drove them on the highway for a few weeks and the ride quality didn't improve. The tire shop gave me full credit since they failed their road force balance test (the numbers were in the 30s which is double what a passenger-car tire should rate). The flat spotting you're describing does go away after driving a few miles, but this is entirely different
Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by darksky
@avs - I drove them on the highway for a few weeks and the ride quality didn't improve. The tire shop gave me full credit since they failed their road force balance test (the numbers were in the 30s which is double what a passenger-car tire should rate). The flat spotting you're describing does go away after driving a few miles, but this is entirely different
bad batch? I don't know what to say. I have the RE960AS on 3 cars right now, and all three have at least 20,000 miles on those tires, and I haven't had any issues...