For those with Megans, do you have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
For those with Megans, do you have this problem?

Megans were installed last week and everything is perfect expect I hear a loud clunking noise (metal on metal) from the rears only when hitting decent size bumps/potholes at speeds over 20mph.

I did a little research and found on some other forums that a few people solved this issue by tightening the 17mm nut underneath the damper adjustment knob. Some said to tighten it with 1/2" impact gun and others said not to over-tighten it. Which is it? Im calling Megan in the morning since they are closed on sundays to see what they say.

I put a ratchet on the 17mm nut and it spins with a little effort. You need a wrench on the nut and an allen key on top of the bolt to tighten it. Just wondering if anyone has these clunking issues?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Former Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no clunking issues with my megans. i installed them 1 month ago.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by EvoToTL
no clunking issues with my megans. i installed them 1 month ago.
Damn NYC steets lol
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Well first things first I would obviously check the tightness. It could also be you might have gotten a defective batch and Megan will usually warranty that. Is the clunnk coming from all 4 or just one or two of the suspension pieces? Also are you sure EVERYTHING on the suspension is retightened? Might be a stupid question but sometimes people forget.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by NAiL05
Well first things first I would obviously check the tightness. It could also be you might have gotten a defective batch and Megan will usually warranty that. Is the clunnk coming from all 4 or just one or two of the suspension pieces? Also are you sure EVERYTHING on the suspension is retightened? Might be a stupid question but sometimes people forget.
everything is very tight. I took the wheels off again and made sure. Its coming from the rears only. The clunk is definitely much louder than it normally would be bc I still have the rear seat removed.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a clunking noise when going over decent size bumps as well from my rears. It's been there since I installed them. I made sure everything was tightened when I installed them over a year ago. The noise hasn't gotten any louder. I guess I never really thought much of it. Let me know if tightening those 17mm nuts do anything.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

maybe it's the endlinks?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaos
maybe it's the endlinks?
And how did i know it be you to suggest that, but he is right, it may be the end links vs the megans themselves.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by eluzion
I have a clunking noise when going over decent size bumps as well from my rears. It's been there since I installed them. I made sure everything was tightened when I installed them over a year ago. The noise hasn't gotten any louder. I guess I never really thought much of it. Let me know if tightening those 17mm nuts do anything.
The wrench and the allen key didnt work. I tried to brace the allen key onto the metal part of the car and turn the bolt with the wrench but the allen key wound up bending the metal of the car lol. Vise grips didnt work either.

Megan said it could be the control arms hitting something but its not that. I had someone drive the car and I left my hand on the damper nut and it goes up and down over bumps and its smacking onto metal of the car. I also set the rears to full stiff and aimed for some potholes and the noise was still there so its not the control arms

The tech at Megan said to tighten that bolt below the damper adjustment with a 1/2" impact gun. You have to remove the rear deck/shelf in order to get on top of those bolts. The shelf is in my living room right now so Im gonna try with the impact gun tomorrow. Now is a good time to make those holes in the shelf so I could install those Megan damper knob extensions. We need the 110MM size just and FYI.

As far as the end links, I guess its possible but one of the end-links is brand new so I dont really know. They are bolted very tight. Are you suggesting the end-links are hitting something?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
try tightening the endlinks some more....even thugh they may seem tight, the slightest play in them could make them slide around in the sway bars attachment holes. g' luck
Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
The wrench and the allen key didnt work. I tried to brace the allen key onto the metal part of the car and turn the bolt with the wrench but the allen key wound up bending the metal of the car lol. Vise grips didnt work either.

Megan said it could be the control arms hitting something but its not that. I had someone drive the car and I left my hand on the damper nut and it goes up and down over bumps and its smacking onto metal of the car. I also set the rears to full stiff and aimed for some potholes and the noise was still there so its not the control arms

The tech at Megan said to tighten that bolt below the damper adjustment with a 1/2" impact gun. You have to remove the rear deck/shelf in order to get on top of those bolts. The shelf is in my living room right now so Im gonna try with the impact gun tomorrow. Now is a good time to make those holes in the shelf so I could install those Megan damper knob extensions. We need the 110MM size just and FYI.

As far as the end links, I guess its possible but one of the end-links is brand new so I dont really know. They are bolted very tight. Are you suggesting the end-links are hitting something?
So the noise is actually the damper nut hitting metal on the inside of the car? Is it bad enough to be doing damage to the suspension?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by eluzion
So the noise is actually the damper nut hitting metal on the inside of the car? Is it bad enough to be doing damage to the suspension?
No it wasnt the damper nut hitting anything. During the test drive it seemed like the pillowball mount was going up and down and hitting the metal of the car. We did another test run and that wasnt that case.

So I ended up trying to tighten the damper nut with a 1/2" impact gun like the tech from megan said and it didnt solve the clunking issue. The nut actually didnt get any tighter. It just spun. I tried a allen key socket on a 1/2'' drive with a 17mm wrench on the damper nut and it seemed like it got a little tighter but I wound up twisting the allen key head.

Now sometimes I hear a weird noise coming from the passenger side rear coilover at random times. Sorta sounds like a spring contracting...like a ping noise if that makes sense.

So in conclusion, Im out of ideas and im getting tired of driving around with no rear seat and shelf. If anyone else can figure it out please let me know
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM
18psi

I went to see if I could tighten the 2 14mm nuts on top of the pillowball mount any more then I could previously. Without using ALL my strength, I think each nut turned another full rotation. maybe the nut is slowing coming lose? I have no idea. maybe some locktite
Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thread revival! Libert, did you ever get this figured out?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
18psi

I never actually fixed the problem. I dont even notice it anymore. It seems to only happen over big bumps.

With that being said....after much searching and talking to megan racing a few times, we both think the problem is the noise prevention cushion. Megan said that the cushion can get wore down and your left with metal on metal friction.

In my case this noise has been happening since day 1 so theres no way the cushion could be worn out. Megan suggested that it was possible that the cushion was never installed in the first place and many times people use 2 cushions instead of 1. They said they have reports of people with 1 cushion still experiencing "clunking" issues.

Ive tried everything else to eliminate the noise besides disassembling the coilover to check for a damaged cushion and double them up. At this point in time I dont plan to do this
Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
my installer said this was a notorious issues with megans in rsx's, that plastic noise cushion/washer thingy would crack/break and they would start clunking. you can try searching on rsx forums
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
18psi

^yea thats what I pretty much figured it was. What annoys me is that this happened since day 1 on brand new megans
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 PM
KoolKatz..

I don't think it's the Megans...the RSX forum thingy was on a previous version and Megans has gotten better....I think I know what your talking about (clunking in rear) and have the same noise in left rear and right rear more noise then left. I took everyting apart to retighten 3 times seats, wheels etc. It's annoying I felt like something was loose or broken and didn't feel safe.

In the end after many reasearch I found out that it was then ENDLINKS..the lolipop looking thingy, (mine is still stock) I tighten both ends and made sure the one connected to the rear swaybar was Super tight to the point of stripping the allenwrench socket (make sure you use correct size) to prevent stripping. Also I loosen the sway rubbers to like 12-15lbs of torque and extra lube. It has basically has removed 99.5% of the clunk esp. when I'm running stock (17" rims) but I still get that clunk...but BARELY when I'm running my (19" wheels)

I apologize if I'm confusing you but this is just food for thought info hope that helps. I did in first thought is was %100 Megan but turn out it was NOT in my situation. Rear Swaybar and endlinks tightening made a difference. The progess sway bar helped with the clunks too.(sold it but running stock 20mm swaybar). Overall I've re-tighten endlinks and extra greased and loosen the C-clamps things....oh yeah its called the bushing..(4 nuts holding swaybar) Loosening it and not overtighten the middle area gives it some play. Good luck I know that Clunk is annoying.

Last edited by Etohprn247; 07-06-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been looking for a set for the G as well. The clunking is a common issue, from what I've heard. Some people have some sort of rubber piece to solve the issue...unfortunately that's as far as my knowledge goes on the Megans...eluzion has some, if you're interested in PMing him.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
havent had any problems (knock on wood) with mine and have had them about 3 weeks...

love them...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I had the same clunking noise over big bumps after my suspension was done and I don't even have Megans. I drove like that for a year and when I installed new sway bar endlinks, it went away.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Thread like this make me wonder why it seems ok to buy cheaper suspensions when there is always this question mark regarding noises, life span, etc. I mean, does it really make sense to get a kit that needs a DIY clunk-fix right out of the box?

That being said, most of the time you get noise in the rear it is from the endlinks not being tight enough. I have also seen top hat nuts being loose. With all parts tightened, you should have no noise.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thread revival but damn, im experiencing this now in driver side
Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
well there goes me getting meagans!! teins it is when i'm ready for them!!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
really?? i havent heard anything and im sure not only megans experience issues from time to time
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
i have a rear clunk as well.. but im using the HTspec type 1 coils. I also tightened and retightened everything to the MAX.. but no change. =\ But it doesnt bother me as much anymore.. if anything I got use to it haha

IDK if this is any help.. but do u think it'll help if we jack the wheel/arm up and THEN try to tighten the tophat nuts? ( so instead of trying to pull the combined weight of the brakes, coils, and etc. upwards while trying to tighten the nut? the weight would be supported)

i've always thought about that after I stuck the rear seat back on but never gave it a shot.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
i have a rear clunk as well.. but im using the HTspec type 1 coils. I also tightened and retightened everything to the MAX.. but no change. =\ But it doesnt bother me as much anymore.. if anything I got use to it haha

IDK if this is any help.. but do u think it'll help if we jack the wheel/arm up and THEN try to tighten the tophat nuts? ( so instead of trying to pull the combined weight of the brakes, coils, and etc. upwards while trying to tighten the nut? the weight would be supported)

i've always thought about that after I stuck the rear seat back on but never gave it a shot.

ISSUE FIXED, in 30 MINS SUPER SIMPLE!! Im ganna post a DIY with videos and stuff for others users to fix!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Aired Out TLS

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by -MiG-
ISSUE FIXED, in 30 MINS SUPER SIMPLE!! Im ganna post a DIY with videos and stuff for others users to fix!
wheres the diy and video? I'm also experiencing this. tomorrow i will be tackling the endlinks to maybe try and solve this.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^mig posted the DIY... that didnt work for me tho

i had to tighten the stabilizer link (attaches to swaybar - Part# 52325-SFY-J01 )

this cured my prob