TEIN vs ASPEC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
the ish of the crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEIN vs ASPEC?

Can anyone give a comparison of the Tein suspensions being sold in the black market forum currently vs. the Aspec? I was previously set on the Aspec suspension, but since the Tein SS and Basics are both cheaper than Aspec setups I've seen, I'm reconsidering...

Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Dance & Dream Productions

I was about to post the same thing...I'm thinking about dropping my car a inch or so...and I'm undecided between a set of A-Spec suspension on Ebay ($600+ includes struts/springs) or just the basic Tein Springs (around $120)...Any feedbacks?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

From my understanding (and tons of reading) the TIEN SS will only lower the car wtihout doing anything to improve ride quality.

The A-SPEC on the other hand has been praised by everyone on these boards that have installed them into their car. Less "floaty", less roll etc.

TIEN are only spring clips from what I have read. They can eventually damage your springs.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Go for the TEIN system.

Allows for a long range of ride height adjustment.

Ability to adjust the damping up to 16 points with the Super Streets.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crashish
Can anyone give a comparison of the Tein suspensions being sold in the black market forum currently vs. the Aspec? I was previously set on the Aspec suspension, but since the Tein SS and Basics are both cheaper than Aspec setups I've seen, I'm reconsidering...

Thanks
I don't think the Teins are cheaper. The Aspec on ebay goes for about $650-700 and the Tein SS is about $950-1000 and the Basic is around $750. The springs are around $235. If you found Teins cheaper than Aspec, let us in on it. Visit Tein online.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adner
From my understanding (and tons of reading) the TIEN SS will only lower the car wtihout doing anything to improve ride quality.

The A-SPEC on the other hand has been praised by everyone on these boards that have installed them into their car. Less "floaty", less roll etc.

TIEN are only spring clips from what I have read. They can eventually damage your springs.
Jesus christ! Where do you get your info?

Tein SS have both damping and height adjustability. For those who have used Tein SS coilovers, many have indicated that the ride quality is very good on the softer settings.

Now, granted, the A-spec set up would ride closer to stock. However, it probably won't handle as well as a Tein SS equipped car either. Tein SS will provide a much more taut ride and will feel less floaty and have less body roll than the A-spec set up.

Finally, What are you talking about "spring clips"? Tein SS are coilovers that come with brand new springs, on brand new damping adjustable shocks w/ a threaded collar for height adjustability. They are not "spring clips" and they will not damage your stock springs. How the hell can they? You need to remove the stock springs and shocks to install the Tein SS. The stock components will just be sitting on a shelf somewhere. They won't get damaged.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 AM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I don't think the Teins are cheaper. The Aspec on ebay goes for about $650-700 and the Tein SS is about $950-1000 and the Basic is around $750. The springs are around $235. If you found Teins cheaper than Aspec, let us in on it. Visit Tein online.
Black market forum, as I mentioned in my original post.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:33 AM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Go for the TEIN system.

Allows for a long range of ride height adjustment.

Ability to adjust the damping up to 16 points with the Super Streets.
Are the SS what you have? At the softest settings, how would you compare it to the stock suspension? I would like to maintain a good deal of ride quality while getting a decent lowering and major improvement in handling. This is what had me so set on the A-Spec kit... but with the price on the Tein's being so low on the new group buy, I'm really curious to know how they stack up against each other. I do sorta like the idea of the adjustability, as, I assume, I'd be able to have it softer for my daily driving and tighter if I ever manage to make it out to a track.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Advanced

I got the A-Spec suspension plus Comptech RSB plus A-Spec black chrome wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/40 18's. The TL has been transformed...it handles pretty well, not very well as in Koni yellows and Eibach springs, but pretty well none the less. Anyway, a number of suspension people i have talked to do not rate the Tein's well highly...looks pretty, lowers a lot but ride quality and handling not up to par. I very happy with my choice of A-Spec, Comptech, and Michelin.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Jesus christ! Where do you get your info?

Tein SS have both damping and height adjustability. For those who have used Tein SS coilovers, many have indicated that the ride quality is very good on the softer settings.

Now, granted, the A-spec set up would ride closer to stock. However, it probably won't handle as well as a Tein SS equipped car either. Tein SS will provide a much more taut ride and will feel less floaty and have less body roll than the A-spec set up.

Finally, What are you talking about "spring clips"? Tein SS are coilovers that come with brand new springs, on brand new damping adjustable shocks w/ a threaded collar for height adjustability. They are not "spring clips" and they will not damage your stock springs. How the hell can they? You need to remove the stock springs and shocks to install the Tein SS. The stock components will just be sitting on a shelf somewhere. They won't get damaged.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Advanced

I have the super streets and I love them. It allows me to lower my car and adjust the damping.

On the track this weekend I let a few instructors drive my car, and they all said the car handled AWESOME!

IMO - having the ability to adjust height and ride is a HUGE advantage that TIEN gives you....

Check out my post in the performance section.....
Old 06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm not a suspension expert), but it is my understanding that if you replace the springs with CT or TEIN, that you will need to replace the shocks because the factory shocks/struts anr not designed for a 1" drop. If that is true is there any significant savings over the A-Spec set up.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Advanced

I bought coilovers..... so it replaced everything.

But no, you do not need to replace the shocks if you only replace the springs...... although, it would be best to upgrade everything so you dont have any weak links.....
Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmt1
Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm not a suspension expert), but it is my understanding that if you replace the springs with CT or TEIN, that you will need to replace the shocks because the factory shocks/struts anr not designed for a 1" drop. If that is true is there any significant savings over the A-Spec set up.

Thanks

You don't have to, but you should. As you said, the stock shocks were not designed to be used with lowered springs. Furthermore, most lowering springs have higher spring rates. The rebound damping of the stock shock isn't strong enough to control the stiffer spring. THis will result in a more bouncey and floaty ride.

Now, the ride quality and handling may be acceptable for some, but eventually, over time, the stock shocks will wear out faster due to the lower and stiffer springs. THis will result in the need to get new aftermarket shocks and pay again to have the whole suspension taken apart and reassembled again.

Do it once and do it right. Don't try to save a few hundred $ after dropping $30K-$35K on a TL. After having to pay someone to re-do your suspension, the money you save will be negligible in the long run.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I am going to get the TEIN SS but will prob wait till next spring as I am trying to pay off CCs at the moment!