Tein SS install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Tein SS install question

I'm troubleshooting why I am getting a light vibration from the steering wheel and floorboard since I installed my suspension.

Can anyone knowledgeable with Tein SS tell me why they say in the instructions to reuse 2 washers up front. Meaning...(bottom to top) 2 washers (supposedly OEM but didn't come on my stock one and isn't in the diagram at the dealer) then the rubber pieces in the tophat then the top washer and bolt. I only had and only used one but am getting a strange vibration at certain speeds and RPM's now.

I'm trying to narrow down the issue to what could have changed and figure it out. Thank you!

Anybody, please!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
all of the oem washers should have come off of the stock shocks and been put onto the teins when u put the teins on. sorry i don't have any more useful advice, but when i put the teins on my car all of the stock parts that were on the tein installation instructions were correctly listed and transferred.

if you didn't move all of the specified oem parts onto the teins, you have to go back and put them on to start solving the problem of why you have vibration.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Thank you for responding...I tend to agree...
Sooo...if you look at your TEIN manual...you see the two washers, right?! Your stock one had those? 2 of them? Was one above the dust cover and one below? I had an A SPEC to begin with, maybe that affected it. Could just a washer be causing this? I installed the fronts without the gold spring perch things initially and it wobbled A LOT! So I'm guessing that part of the assembly is pretty serious.

Please let me know...I asked at the dealership and they didn't have any useful diagrams!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Ok...with this diagram I got up in the attic and realized I DID NOT transfer the bump stop plate from my stock suspension. Just got done swapping it and it's vibrating a lot less. Thank you!

Still want to find the source, or do we just have to get used to the angle of the axle causing this vibration?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I knew it had to be one of these! lol. I forgot to put the collar on and messed it up.. I had to drive 1 hr away the next day to my closest dealer to buy two of them.. It was a long process.

The angle of the axle should not be causing your vibration..

As for the GOLD RIng, I was planning on taking that off. Did u put it back on or left it off? And how bad is the wobble and do u have aftermarket rims? how stiff is your setting to?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
The manual/instructions I recieved with my Tein SS doesn't look the same as the above?

I went to Acura and bought all the top parts, washers, etc so I didn't have to use my OEM parts and leave my OEM coils/shocks together.

The diagram is diff???
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My experience is with konis but I don't see why they would be different than tein.

I followed the acura diagram exactly as it's printed and I have no vibrations or clunking at all.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM

What collars did you mess up? Maybe I messed something up and don't even know it! I DID put the gold rings back on...I had originally not known what those were (bought used ones and guy didn't give me directions) and the vibration was WORSE. I don't recommend removing the gold spring holder things!

No aftermarket rims for me...I'm on 8.5" 2004 A spec rims. I have played with the settings but have settled for 11 front/13 rear (3 away from softest). I don't want the ride too harsh so this works for me. I installed the extra washer that was hiding under the stock dust boot...AND loosened and tightened the front lower sway bar (in case it was transferring the vibration) and although better...it is still there! It shimmy's...I don't know how to describe it...it is not a speed thing (so not tires or balancing) and it's only under acceleration at Low RPM's. Mostly felt around 25 to 40 mph in 2nd gear. It happened as soon as I dropped the car.

WTF could it be?!?!? I'm drawing a blank. I've lowered my last 4 cars and I've never had this type of issue!

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
I knew it had to be one of these! lol. I forgot to put the collar on and messed it up.. I had to drive 1 hr away the next day to my closest dealer to buy two of them.. It was a long process.

The angle of the axle should not be causing your vibration..

As for the GOLD RIng, I was planning on taking that off. Did u put it back on or left it off? And how bad is the wobble and do u have aftermarket rims? how stiff is your setting to?