Tein Flex for a 3rd Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tein Flex for a 3rd Gen TL

So recently, i have been looking into a new suspension set-up for my car. I want the best of all worlds. maximum performance, decent ride comfort, and maximum height adjustment. I have been looking into the Tein type Flex but have come to find out there is no application for our car.

I spoke with Marcus (Mr. HeelToe) and he said that if we get enough interest or people willing to buy some Tein Flex, he might be able to have Tein run a special order and have a few made for our cars...so would anyone be interested in something like this? I'm not sure on pricing but it might be similar to the price of other Tein Flex application(dont quote me on that). For now, i would like to start a list and see who would be interested

1. dope! (george)

post up here if you would like this to happen and add your name to the list
Old 02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know if anyone's tried this, but 03-07 accord and tsx shocks will fit the tl. Does tein make the flex for these applications?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
whats the difference between TEIN Flex and TEIN SS?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by ifirahse
Don't know if anyone's tried this, but 03-07 accord and tsx shocks will fit the tl. Does tein make the flex for these applications?
yes that is true BUT the reason i do not want to do that is becuase the tsx and accord are lighter cars thus the spring rates are different. believe it or not a lot of thought goes into making suspension. the ride won't be as good as if it were on the right application.

Originally Posted by juruki
whats the difference between TEIN Flex and TEIN SS?
straight from teins website...

TEIN has used its years of experience in various motor sports to produce a kit that provides the ultimate balance between comfort and performance. Developed for drivers seeking an aggressive coilover that can be used daily, and provide all the adjustments needed for circuit use. The FLEX damper Kit features the latest technology for all drivers who are seeking performance, and adjustability, while not giving up all ride comfort. We have incorporated separate spring perch height, and shell case length adjustment, which allows the suspension to retain more stroke and allows for more suspension tuning. The FLEX damper kit includes pillow ball upper mounts, which increase steering response; 16 levels of damping force adjustment, and is compatible with the EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) for added convenience and adjustability.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ yeeess! this is what I'm looking for... I have Tein basics now I feel they're too mushy. Are the Flex monotube? Anyhow, I would be interested, but I gotta know how much it's gonna cost also. I think the Flex are more track oriented with stiffer spring rates... not sure though. I just know it's their higher end models.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
rollin fattys in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all we really need is pillow ball mounts and we are good to go. flex will easily run like 1800+ for us. but then again i wouldnt mind having independant hieght adjustment seperate from preload.

but see if at the least they can make sum pillow ball mounts
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I am having the hardest time choosing a set of coilovers. I just want to sit at no gap and ride as comfortable as stock. Right now I am pretty sure I will be getting the Tein SS with EDFC. Tein Flex would be better but somehow I doubt this will happen and I want my suspension sooner rather than later.

Anyways I guess add me to the list

1. dope! (george)
2: AnthraciteAspec (Sean)
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by gatdammit
^ yeeess! this is what I'm looking for... I have Tein basics now I feel they're too mushy. Are the Flex monotube? Anyhow, I would be interested, but I gotta know how much it's gonna cost also. I think the Flex are more track oriented with stiffer spring rates... not sure though. I just know it's their higher end models.
flex is good for street and track use...i am going to try and see if marcus can give me a some kind of price estimate.

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
I am having the hardest time choosing a set of coilovers. I just want to sit at no gap and ride as comfortable as stock. Right now I am pretty sure I will be getting the Tein SS with EDFC. Tein Flex would be better but somehow I doubt this will happen and I want my suspension sooner rather than later.

Anyways I guess add me to the list

1. dope! (george)
2: AnthraciteAspec (Sean)
i'll tell u this now....NO car will ride like stock when its slammed...BUT you can be a whole lot more comfy with some tein flex.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Originally Posted by dope!
i'll tell u this now....NO car will ride like stock when its slammed...BUT you can be a whole lot more comfy with some tein flex.
I don't know what stock feels like since my car is an aspec but I like how it rides right now. I am not going to slam my car I just want no gap. Right now with the aspec it sits at 3 finger gap in front and 2 finger gap in the rear and it bugs me. If I could adjust the height on my aspec suspension I would just keep this it rides incredible.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Racer

Dope, isnt or wasnt your car lowered already?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
I'M BACK!!!

I don't know what stock feels like since my car is an aspec but I like how it rides right now. I am not going to slam my car I just want no gap. Right now with the aspec it sits at 3 finger gap in front and 2 finger gap in the rear and it bugs me. If I could adjust the height on my aspec suspension I would just keep this it rides incredible.
ahh i see....well tein flex would be the way to go..but i'm not sure how ride comfort would compare to aspec....never ridden in a TL with aspec suspension.

Originally Posted by dechlin
Dope, isnt or wasnt your car lowered already?
it was lowered..but i sold my tein ss and i'm looking for other options right now
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Dope was your Teins bouncy at all? I heard Teins are bouncy and I don't want anything too stiff or bouncy.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM
B A N N E D

^ you heard wrong. teins are the shit. it has adustible dampening.

As for you guys wondering. You guys can buy the tein flex from a TSX owner and mod it to fit our TL's. I think all you gotta do is remove some bolts TSX tophat (front struts). Just cant run our strut bars with the flex's.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Wait lemme get this straight... I could just buy the FLEX for the TSX and basically use my TOp hat on it? Aren't the spring rates different? Do they have Pillow Ball upper mounts for the 3GTL? Whether the mounts are with the SS's or the Flex?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
B A N N E D

No you cant use your tophats. you gotta use the flex's top hats, just gotta grind off a few bolts for the front struts.Its not the main 3 bolts. its the extra ones that are used for the strut bar. as for the back struts you gotta ad 2 washers at each end of the bottom. To fill in the space
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dope was your Teins bouncy at all? I heard Teins are bouncy and I don't want anything too stiff or bouncy.
Not at all! If you want bouncy put springs on your existing shocks.....lol.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Couldn't SS's act like the Flex with the EDFC installed? How much more involved of a suspension do we need? I mean sure we could tinker more with the Flex, but unless your an extremely anal person the SS with EDFC will let you adjust based on the driving conditions/road/distance........

I dunno, it would be cool to have another option out there, but I honestly think we are sitting good with our existing combo.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Originally Posted by lembowski
Not at all! If you want bouncy put springs on your existing shocks.....lol.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Couldn't SS's act like the Flex with the EDFC installed? How much more involved of a suspension do we need? I mean sure we could tinker more with the Flex, but unless your an extremely anal person the SS with EDFC will let you adjust based on the driving conditions/road/distance........

I dunno, it would be cool to have another option out there, but I honestly think we are sitting good with our existing combo.
Thanks man, I was leaning towards the Tein SS with EDFC and I think that is what I will go with.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I'M BACK!!!

^ Wait lemme get this straight... I could just buy the FLEX for the TSX and basically use my TOp hat on it? Aren't the spring rates different? Do they have Pillow Ball upper mounts for the 3GTL? Whether the mounts are with the SS's or the Flex?
yep the spring rates are different and that is why i do not want to go that route and i'm trying to make this happen!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
I'M BACK!!!

bump!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 AM
B A N N E D

Guess no one wants to spend 1400 on suspension. PS spring rates will be a little off, no biggy
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Well I ordered my Tein SS with EDFC from Heeltoe today and will be getting it installed next weekend. Sorry George I wish I could hold out for something like this but I want a suspension setup now.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wtf? I have the same gaps with stock suspension. Unless my fingers are a lot bigger??

Okay, so I measured them. 3 fingers (ring, middle, index) equal roughly 2.25" and 2 fingers (index and middle) equal roughly 1.5".

Is it that my suspension is just sagging? Under 50K miles.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 AM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by WalkerUA6
Guess no one wants to spend 1400 on suspension. PS spring rates will be a little off, no biggy
yea i guess no one wants good stuff

Well I ordered my Tein SS with EDFC from Heeltoe today and will be getting it installed next weekend. Sorry George I wish I could hold out for something like this but I want a suspension setup now.
its cool. i'll find some other way to get a good suspension set-up
Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

^ You mean they won't make a special set for just two people? ha! I'm down to spend the money if it's gonna make the care feel tighter.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I'M BACK!!!

^ You mean they won't make a special set for just two people? ha! I'm down to spend the money if it's gonna make the care feel tighter.
from the looks of it...no, but i'm going to talk to heeltoe and see what he says..maybe we can get something worked out
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
rollin fattys in

im in for the flex. but sum how can i send back my SS being they are only 2 months old lol. na when would the flexes come out if they did make em?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 PM
rollin fattys in

idk about tsx flex fitting well
Old 02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by tlaspecteinss
im in for the flex. but sum how can i send back my SS being they are only 2 months old lol. na when would the flexes come out if they did make em?

well i'm am going to talk to marcus and see what he tells me. i am ophing they can come out with them soon if we get enough interest
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Anyone else want these? 1400s not so bad... I'd just put these in myself saving the money on installation of the SSs... I really do want another option...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I'M BACK!!!

^ Anyone else want these? 1400s not so bad... I'd just put these in myself saving the money on installation of the SSs... I really do want another option...
well im really looking into making another option for us if we get enough interest
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I'M BACK!!!

bump!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
rollin fattys in

bump
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

the flex is the craziest system when it comes to comfort n control. I just dropped my friends subaru to the ground and all shit aside i said....this is gonna be the worst drive ever.....the car drives like its on stock suspension....but i also did the strut bars n stabilizer bars n all new energy suspension bushings....if i can afford the flex id go with it.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

^^^that sounds perfect maybe when flex comes out I will sell my SS and run the Flex. Is flex EDFC compatible?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
rollin fattys in

can any one verify if the tsx flex set up work correctly on the TL
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tlaspecteinss
can any one verify if the tsx flex set up work correctly on the TL

I'm not sure how that's gonna work. I mean I mentioned above the the spring rates are going to be different. I'm down for these if they made them for our cars, I'm not gonna go the TSX route. Or can I use my Basic springs on FLEX struts for the TSX?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
^^^that sounds perfect maybe when flex comes out I will sell my SS and run the Flex. Is flex EDFC compatible?
Yessir.

I'm tring to sell my EDFC, BNIB.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM
I'M BACK!!!

I'm not sure how that's gonna work. I mean I mentioned above the the spring rates are going to be different. I'm down for these if they made them for our cars, I'm not gonna go the TSX route. Or can I use my Basic springs on FLEX struts for the TSX?

that's what i was thinking..maybe running tein flex from a 7th gen accord and using either aftermarket springs MADE for our cars or something else..

hmm...can anyone verify this? maybe (mike) aznbo187..i know he knows his stuff when it comes to suspension and other stuff
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The Flex is a good system but I wouldnt say its the greatest system out there. My friend has a set on his GS and has gone through two sets. IMO the spring rates are too soft but thats just my perspective if you want to drop it low. We maxed preload almost all the way and the car still scrapes occasionally. Anyway the ride itself isnt bad at all it just that i dont like the spring rates that come with the system. I have had basics from tein and I am definitely not satisfied with the spring setup on them. However Stance on the other hand that is more of my style coil over. Manual dampening adjustment since no EDFC but the spring rates are great.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:08 AM
wut.

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
the flex is the craziest system when it comes to comfort n control. I just dropped my friends subaru to the ground and all shit aside i said....this is gonna be the worst drive ever.....the car drives like its on stock suspension....but i also did the strut bars n stabilizer bars n all new energy suspension bushings....if i can afford the flex id go with it.
Wow, I'd hate to toss coilovers on and have it ride like stock suspension.

Might as well get DC, KSports, FunctionForm, or AMR with the money you would be spending.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex for a 3rd Gen TL