Tein Basic Installed, Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Basic Installed, Review

Got them installed. Took about 5hrs.

The toughest part was removing the back seat. This is where you need to slide your arm underneath and loosen the two bolt right underneath the rear headrests. Talking about going in Blindfolded.

I used this DIY. It's quite similiar to 3G TLs. Hence my reason not to make one myself.

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...ng_install.htm

A side note:

Tein instructions does not indicate to make a mark of the lockseat with the shock. This is helpful to note how many turns you're making when you want to adjust the height after the installation.

Likewise, Tein instructions indicate that the car should not be lower more than 13 inches when measured from fender to center of wheel. This is very important due to the spring rate that comes with the Basic Setup.

Also, if you jacked the car up from the front using the cross member of the car, then you will have a problem lowering the car when the Teins are installed. There's a mud deflector underneath that is lower than the front bummper. That piece will get crushed. It's important to use another jack and jack one of the sides up before lowering the front jack. (This is in conjunction that you're already using jack stands prior to keep the car up. Don't ever depend on the floor jacks to keep the car up.)

Review:

The car is super lower when set at 13 inches. The ride is quite rough on mild bumpy streets. However, on smooth streets, the handling is awesome.

I tried to drive with this setting for a day and it was too harsh for my taste. Therefore, I brought it up to about 1 inch. Measured from fender to center of wheel is 14 inches.

The ride is way much better, plus I don't lose the superb handling. The actual wheel gap went from a tight 1 finger to a tight 2 fingers.

I forgot to measure the stock height. If someone with stock suspension can measure and give us the #, then I'll know how much the car has been lowered.

Cost:

My total cost for Teins Basic was $640. Included tax and no shipping since I did local pickup and paid cash.

http://www.optionimports.com

Alignment:

I haven't done it yet, but will after the holidays. I know that the rear has butterflied a bit. The comptech camber kits for fronts and rears are made by Specialty Products Company: http://www.specprod.com

You will need: Fronts (#67320) Rears (#67095)

Pics:

None yet. I'm waiting for my rims. Once I have them on and the car aligned. I will post the pics. But like Tein's website, the car looks exactly the same as the one posted (minus the 1 inch raised).

Wheels:

19x8.5 is the best fit. Now that it's lowered, I know that the 19x9 will definitely rub. Thanks for those that have made comments on the other thread.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondasaurus

The toughest part was removing the back seat. This is where you need to slide your arm underneath and loosen the two bolt right underneath the rear headrests. Talking about going in Blindfolded.

I used this DIY. It's quite similiar to 3G TLs. Hence my reason not to make one myself.

A side note:

Tein instructions does not indicate to make a mark of the lockseat with the shock. This is helpful to note how many turns you're making when you want to adjust the height after the installation.

Likewise, Tein instructions indicate that the car should not be lower more than 13 inches when measured from fender to center of wheel. This is very important due to the spring rate that comes with the Basic Setup.

Also, if you jacked the car up from the front using the cross member of the car, then you will have a problem lowering the car when the Teins are installed. There's a mud deflector underneath that is lower than the front bummper. That piece will get crushed. It's important to use another jack and jack one of the sides up before lowering the front jack. (This is in conjunction that you're already using jack stands prior to keep the car up. Don't ever depend on the floor jacks to keep the car up.)

Review:

The car is super lower when set at 13 inches. The ride is quite rough on mild bumpy streets. However, on smooth streets, the handling is awesome.

I tried to drive with this setting for a day and it was too harsh for my taste. Therefore, I brought it up to about 1 inch. Measured from fender to center of wheel is 14 inches.

The ride is way much better, plus I don't lose the superb handling. The actual wheel gap went from a tight 1 finger to a tight 2 fingers.

I forgot to measure the stock height. If someone with stock suspension can measure and give us the #, then I'll know how much the car has been lowered.

Cost:

My total cost for Teins Basic was $640. Included tax and no shipping since I did local pickup and paid cash.

Alignment:

I haven't done it yet, but will after the holidays. I know that the rear has butterflied a bit. The comptech camber kits for fronts and rears are made by Specialty Products Company: http://www.specprod.com

Pics:

None yet. I'm waiting for my rims. Once I have them on and the car aligned. I will post the pics. But like Tein's website, the car looks exactly the same as the one posted (minus the 1 inch raised).

Wheels:

19x8.5 is the best fit. Now that it's lowered, I know that the 19x9 will definitely rub. Thanks for those that have made comments on the other thread.
for anyone else installing springs or shocks on TL. If you lift up the rear headrest there is a slot where you can stick a socket extension into to remove the two bolts holding the seat up.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
5 hours? We do this in 2. We don't remove the whole back seat. You can do it by just tilting the backrest part forward.

Technically, to avoid tire wear, camber kits are not needed. Just get a good alignment and your tires will be fine with some negative camber there.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

my springs settled & i got an alignment. the front is fine. the back passenger is -1.5 camber and the driver's rear is -3.2. i put the springs in after i had my car repaired. someone drove into my rear side & hit the quarter panel & scraped the wheel. so i dont know if it's just the lowering( h&r 1.4f 1.3r springs only) or if it's because of the hit, which was not too hard. i really need advice because it's bothering me
Old 05-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
my springs settled & i got an alignment. the front is fine. the back passenger is -1.5 camber and the driver's rear is -3.2. i put the springs in after i had my car repaired. someone drove into my rear side & hit the quarter panel & scraped the wheel. so i dont know if it's just the lowering( h&r 1.4f 1.3r springs only) or if it's because of the hit, which was not too hard. i really need advice because it's bothering me

It probably has to do with the repair, but getting a camber kit for the one side is a band-aid.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

so if i just get a camber kit for the back, it'll straighten out? is that what u would do in my situation?
thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
so if i just get a camber kit for the back, it'll straighten out? is that what u would do in my situation?
thanks

It depends on your motivation for straightening it out.

If you don't like the look, then yes get the camber kit.

If you are worried about your tires, I would not worry about it.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Pro

Holy thread resurrection.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

THANKS TO MR. HEELTOE, HE ANSWERED MY QUESTION IN FLORIDA!!!!
YOU ROCK MAN!!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A side note:

Review:

Cost:

Alignment:

Pics:

Wheels:

Hey man do you still have the tein basics on your tl? If so, how do you like them? Does the EDFC work with them also? I don't think so but just thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaszTL
Hey man do you still have the tein basics on your tl? If so, how do you like them? Does the EDFC work with them also? I don't think so but just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

The EDFC is used to adjust the dampening stiffness on adjustable coilovers. The Basics are non-adjustable, so the EDFC is not applicable. You'd need the SS kit to use the EDFC.

Marcus
Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait y r u going in blindfolded??? u raise the rear headrest and theres a piece of leather over lapped...looks like a clit LoL!!! u open apart n stick ur socket in there 10mm unscrew just a lil bit and the seats raise up n off.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
wait y r u going in blindfolded??? u raise the rear headrest and theres a piece of leather over lapped...looks like a clit LoL!!! u open apart n stick ur socket in there 10mm unscrew just a lil bit and the seats raise up n off.
Hmmmmm stick your socket in it ....tastyyyyy:P
Old 03-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Pro

5 hours? We do this in 2. We don't remove the whole back seat. You can do it by just tilting the backrest part forward.

Technically, to avoid tire wear, camber kits are not needed. Just get a good alignment and your tires will be fine with some negative camber there.
Would you have some pictures of an install on a 3G TL showing us how you do not need to remove the whole back seat?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

^^^ yea
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

link don't work also
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Garage Park / Ikon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup a lot of people dont realize that tire wear has a lot more to do with toe in/out than camber
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
6th Gear

Angry

A side note:

Review:

Cost:

Alignment:

Pics:

Wheels:

This is off topic, but where did u get basics for 640? I cant find em for that cheap anywhere.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
This thread is from 2004, prices have gone up.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
This thread is from 2004, prices have gone up.
yea.. tell me about.. i bought mine couple days ago for 812 @ HeelToe
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Tein Basic or Tein SS ??????? I can't make up my mind if the SS are worth the extra $$$. I wish I could have a ride in a car equipped with Tein Basic lowered about an inch or so.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
6th Gear

I dont think the ss are necessary if your not putting it on a track. Basics are stiff enough. I rode in a 240 wit basics and the car handled like a dream for the streets and highways.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Holy thread resurrection.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
link to DIY is broken...please update!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Nice thread bump newb!! This thread is almost 6.5 yrs old.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
nice thread bump. Didn't wanna start a new thread about this.

4cyl Accord tein basics on a 05 TL?

on tein site, tein basics for v6 and 4cyl are the same part number. I know that v6 accord suspension fits TL as I have accord spring/shock combo on now. Top hats are different I know that.

I know spring compression rates for 4cyl and v6 accord for tein basics are 504 lb/in and for a TL is 671 lb/in.

Is that too big of a difference and how would that affect the ride? Would it have too great affect on the shocks, making them wear out prematurely? Or would the car just sit a little lower?

spring rate on progress springs I have now is 320 lbs/in. Is spring rate differently measure or looked at between coils and springs?